48 Hours

I am off the grid for a couple days in order to attend a family function in a foreign land (okay, it's Ohio) and will not rejoin you until Tuesday morning.

Lots of activity on Planet Futbol while I am away:

SUNDAY

*USA vs. Barbados, 5 p.m. ET (ESPN2, Galavision)
*Chicago at Dallas, 3 (Telefutura)
*Switzerland-Portugal, 2:45 (ESPN Classic)
*Turkey-Czech Republic, 2:45 (ESPN2)
*South American, CONCACAF WCQ matches

(By the way did you see on Saturday that Carlos Ruiz scored four goals in Guatemala's 6-0 rout of St. Lucia and that Shalrie Joseph and Grenada blew a two-goal lead and tied visiting Costa Rica, 2-2?)

MONDAY

*Poland-Croatia, 2:45 (ESPN Classic)
*Austria-Germany, 2:45 (ESPN)

Your observations are warmly welcomed.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 15, 2008; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU-NY, The Aftermath
Next: The Good, The Bad, The Coyote Ugly

Comments

Here comes my complaint. Why can't ESPN show both games separately or is it the scheduling conflict from the host country that they must show at the same time? Now I have to switch back and forth and miss some of the action.

Posted by: arlington for United | June 15, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

The games have to be played concurrently. Otherwise, the teams in the later game would have an unfair advantage, as they could take the result of the earlier match into account in formulating their strategy. Perhaps the most egregious case in memory was the Austria-Germany game in the '82 WC. The two teams played to a result that created a three-way tie with Algeria, which had already played its third game, but put the two European sides through on goal differential.

Posted by: tri-village | June 15, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Ahh...that makes sense. Thanks for lightening up tri-village! In that case I would watch Swiss v Portugal although Turks v Czech would be more gruelling game I think.

Posted by: arlington for United | June 15, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I guess I will be watching the Bohemians and the Turks, if only Portugal is already in and Switzerland is already out.

The TV listings in Sunday's Post, which were printed several days in advance, have BSPN2 carrying the Portugal-Switzerland game. Goff has it the other way around. Was this a last-minute switcheroo? It would make sense, as more is riding on the Czech-Turk game. In fact, if they draw, they would go to penalties, which apparently would be the first time this was used as a tiebreaker in Euro group play.

Posted by: tri-village | June 15, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Since a lot of people are presumably getting into the front-lawn version of the Post at this hour, I am taking the liberty of reposting this Steinbog piece from an earlier thread:

In the front-lawn version, you should find it on page N2 (Sunday Source).

Posted by: tri-village | June 15, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

forgot mexico-belize, telemundo, 4:30

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

czech v. turkey is likely to be the better match since portugal is already through and switzerland is already eliminated. czechs and turks are fighting to continue. also, portugal will likely empty its bench for this one, although the portuguese reserves could still likely beat the swiss. i'll be watching the portuguese, but only because i live in lisbon and 10,000 people will gather in the park to watch it on the jumbotron.

Posted by: troy | June 15, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I was just looking ahead and wondering if there is any way to get Estadio RFK to feed the final to the big screen after the LA game? They would increase overpriced concessions sales and maybe BSPN could turn a buck or two by supplying some souvenir merchandise.

Posted by: LD | June 15, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

USWNT plays Brazil Tuesday in S Korea.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 15, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Germany - Austria. Out and out conspiracy in the tunnel leading to the field. The Algerians were so jobbed by the display.

Of course, nothing tops the "Once Tontos" of France who blew a 3-1 lead on Germany in overtime in the semifinals and then lost on PKs.

Posted by: griffin1108 | June 15, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Where are you going to in Ohio?

Posted by: bubbles | June 15, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

contrived local connection alert - the Barbados national team playing the USA today features Crystal Palace's Paul Ifill. Palace of course have their USL2 "farm team" in Baltimore.

Posted by: James C. | June 15, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

USWNT plays Brazil Tuesday in S Korea.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 15, 2008 12:31 PM
=========================================

Weren't they supposed to play Australia today (early a.m. Washington time) in the Unification Cup? The US Soccer site doesn't have the result posted yet.

Posted by: tri-village | June 15, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Another item from the Post's TV Week section: It has BSPN2 carrying Barbados, the sequel, on Saturday on BSPN2. (Although the section was printed several days in advance, I thought this game had been set for Sunday well before that.) In any event, it will be on BSPN Classic on Sunday, directly up against DCU, as well as a Euro quarterfinal (Spain vs. Romania/France/Italy). Talk about fixture congestion (from a fan's point of view)!

Posted by: tri-village | June 15, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

If you're watching Switzerland-Portugal but want the up-to-date goings on with Turkey-Czech, I'm liveblogging that game at Booked For Dissent.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | June 15, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Goooaaaaal Cooper

Tell me again why he isn't playing with the US National team???

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 15, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

what a game turks v czechs. If it was not goal keeper czech turks are dominating.

Posted by: arlington for United | June 15, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

oh my god turks

Posted by: arlington for United | June 15, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

...Wow.

Posted by: B.A. | June 15, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm a schmuck!! I turned off the Turkey game at half to get some work done before the US game1 What happened???

Posted by: Curious | June 15, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

wowwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Posted by: stairs | June 15, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

And now I'm liveblogging the US game

Posted by: Dave Lifton | June 15, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

was watching portugal out of some misguided loyalty; finally got disgusted and changed channels just in time for Turkey's second goal. Cech mishandled the wet ball and just gave a goal away in 87th minute. Now we're all set for penalty kicks right? Nope, a long stinger hits just low enough on the crossbar to deflect in, now 3-2 Turkey at 90 full minutes! just 12 minutes earlier, Czechs just missed a goal that would have made it 3-0. Then, in stoppage time, Turk goalkeeper Volkan gets redcarded for pushing Koller (who flopped so spastically as to make Materazzi seem positively heroic). Turks through. wow.

Posted by: troy | June 15, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

anyone know a tvu channel for the us game? what are the regular ones (i know espn, but is abc simulcast?)?

all the great football i get in europe doesn't include usmnt.... sigh.

Posted by: troy | June 15, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

found haiti-netherlands antilles. oh boy.

i see paraguay is up on brazil? that should do if i cant find us.

Posted by: troy | June 15, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Best.Game.Ever.

(czech-turkey)

Posted by: JkR | June 15, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

found it. 60980, although i suppose you can all watch on reg tv.

ching up top with dempsey? interesting.

Posted by: troy | June 15, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

goal at 58 seconds! and no gimme shot. boca to dempsey was beautiful.

Posted by: troy | June 15, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

ej not starting, so perhaps bradley reads the insider?

of course, freddy is not, so perhaps bradley doesn't.

Posted by: troy | June 15, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

b

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

the us game is almost not even fun to watch.

Posted by: gilbert | June 15, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

curious, you missed tha best game. it was the most exciting at the second half turk v czechs. Koller is a moran.

Posted by: td | June 15, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I am watcheing reply Turkey v Czech game on Classic.

Posted by: arlington for United | June 15, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Peter Czech's miserable losing continues from Chelski to now with national team.

Posted by: td | June 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

The WNT edged Australia in the Unification Cup:

Posted by: tri-village | June 15, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

With regard to the Turkish keeper being sent off at the end of the match: Was that a dead-ball situation? I thought the ball was heading out of play, but wasn't yet over the line. If it wasn't, wouldn't consistency call for a awarding a penalty to the Czechs along with the card?

Posted by: tri-village | June 15, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Tri - you must have missed his two handed shove of Koller after the ball went out.

Posted by: JMR | June 15, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

^^^^^

I'm pretty sure everyone was just standing around after the ball had gone out of bounds.

Posted by: Tim | June 15, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm feeling kind of bad for Barbados. Getting humiliated must suck.

Posted by: KR in DC | June 15, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JMR | June 15, 2008 6:46 PM
==========================================

I didn't miss the shove. What I was questioning was whether the ball went out before or after the shove. If the shove came first, isn't it a penalty? But then again, maybe it didn't.

Posted by: tri-village | June 15, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

The second Czech player touched the ball and the Turks player let it go out. It was not a penalty. Indeed it should have given free kick against Koller for jumping against the keeper.

Posted by: arlington for United | June 15, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

As fans we need to remember Barbados is no Belize.

Posted by: sitruc | June 15, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Hmm...

Find it weird to complain about an 8-0 result, but (once again...) better finishing and it could have been even worse. Brian Ching didn't do himself much good in the first half botching a couple of great balls to put him in on the keeper, but I'd still rather see him than EJ up top. On the bright side, good to see Michael Bradley getting up the field to make things happen in the final third.

PS Turkey/Czech Republic, absolutely amazing. Good on the Turks for playing an amazing second half. Bad on the ref for a red card on a half hearted shove. Not a smart play by the Turk goalie to get drawn into retaliating, but for a 6'7" giant, Jan Koller is remarkably easy to move around.

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | June 15, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

"I am off the grid for a couple of days..."

Dude, you're killing me. They have Internet access in Ohio, don't they? Your connections can find you, right?

I'm starting to shake unnncconnnttrooollablly.......

"I went back to Ohio
But my city was gone
There was no train station
There was no downtown..."

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 15, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Ching actually put one away.
Roid Rage gets the GWG vs Chicago?
I am sure Dallas needs him but maybe he could see some action down in Barbados?

Posted by: Dadryan | June 15, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

What is it about redshirts today? First Turkey's comeback and then Tiger Woods forces a playoff in US Open (against Domenic's distant cousin Rocco Mediate)

Posted by: emanon | June 15, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

did T&T lose at home to Bermuda 2-1? Perhaps the US will have an unexpected foe in the next round...?

Posted by: chuckles | June 15, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: emanon | June 15, 2008 9:58 PM
=========================================

For some reason I'm reminded of this:

Posted by: tri-village | June 15, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

They have Internet access in Ohio, don't they?

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 15, 2008 7:15 PM

Yes, even in little Appalachian hill burgs like Jackson.

From one who knows...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 15, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

And Brazil lost in Paraguay...where they haven't won since 85...

Posted by: RK | June 15, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

What is with the digs on Ohio Goff? What is someone said they were off to DC and hoped not to get mugged

Posted by: GLD431 | June 16, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg (perhaps unofficially taking up the DCU reins in Goff's stead?) has a post up that includes Emilio's post-game interview from Saturday. Does anyone speak German well enough to translate what the announcer asks him?

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | June 16, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

GOTW nominees: Buddle, A. Moreno, Dichio, Rickets and SIMMS

Posted by: emanon | June 16, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

perhaps I also should have capitalized Buddle, since according to the GOTW page he plays for DC United.

Posted by: emanon | June 16, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

@Dadryan: in a previous life, did you write Haikus for a living?

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 16, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

@ Joe Doc
You can make a living writing Haikus?

Stay at home dad
Will write poetry
for Beer money and United tickets.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 16, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Loose translation --

Rongen: Very good, my friend. When was the last time you scored 3 goals in one game, my friend?

Emilio answers in English.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 16, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

So I voted for Simms and it somehow says that Buddle has 100% of the vote...
WTF?

Posted by: Dadryan | June 16, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Ja, confirmation on the SteinBlog comments from someone whose Deutsche is undoubtedly better than mine:

"Liciano - Thomas

Very good, my friend.

When was the last time you shot three goals, my friend?"

Posted by: lahr | June 16, 2008 10:17 AM

Posted by: OWNTF | June 16, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

m

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

So I voted for Simms and it somehow says that Buddle has 100% of the vote...
WTF?

Posted by: Dadryan | June 16, 2008 10:23 AM
--------------------------------------------

Yeah, there's something funky going on with the voting system for GOTW.

OWNTF: thanks for the translation. I think someone just wanted to show off their Deutsch chops.

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | June 16, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

First, I wouldn't celebrate too much about an 8-0 win over Barbados. Those guys shouldn't even be listed in FIFA rankings, they suck so bad.

Second, I thoroughly enjoyed Turkey's win over Czech. Now, that was a soccer treat. And the commentators...such beautiful way with words. One guy said "I dare you to not enjoy this".

Posted by: Bart | June 16, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I think that the more often DCU can get the foreign players on Comcast in English interviews, the better it will be for growing the game here. As Emilio says, "because right now we are in the United States." The guy's got an appealing personality, which comes through really well in that brief piece.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 16, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone speak German well enough to translate what the announcer asks him?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"Very good my friend. When was the last time you scored three goals?"

The dutchman's german ain't so good..

Posted by: mizage | June 16, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I agree that it certainly makes him much more appealing in the media. The guy's a bit of a language sponge, though, isn't he? As I recall, he speaks Portuguese, Spanish, German, and has learned semi-conversational English is just over a year. I don't care who you are, that's impressive.

Posted by: Matt In Silver Spring | June 16, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

watch out for any flying bananas while in Ohio :D

Posted by: Srdan, La Barra | June 16, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Would it be sacrilege for someone to take a stab at GBCU in the master's absence?

Posted by: OWNTF | June 16, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | June 16, 2008 11:36 AM

I am unworthy of the attempt.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 16, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I am glad someone translated Rongen. Having the interview questions asked in dutch-accented german and answered in portugeuse accented english was very funny.

Posted by: pigman sweet | June 16, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | June 16, 2008 11:36 AM

I am unworthy of the attempt.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 16, 2008 11:43 AM
==============

A day without Insider is like a day without sunshine.

Posted by: Anita Bryant | June 16, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I hate this attendance statistic...

Belize-Mexico at Reliant - 50,137

Barbados-USA at HDC - 11,476

I know the 10% vig US Soccer takes from the attendance funds our under-17 deaf paralympic womens team or whatever, and I am not naive about how many Mexican soccer fans there are, but for a neutral site venue, go play in Honduras for a world cup qualifier. This is just a cash grab on everyone's part.

Posted by: AM | June 16, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bart | June 16, 2008 11:00 AM
====================
I still like the one on the dutch win. The dutch oven is so hot, franch are toast.

Posted by: arlington4united | June 16, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

One casualty of yesterday's result: Goff had earlier said that he might consider going to Barbados if there were anything at stake. I guess that idea has gone by the boards.

Posted by: tri-village | June 16, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GLD431

1) They would be properly concerned.
2) Lighten up, Francis. We don't really need PC Police here also, do we??
3) Offense is only taken by those who apparently feel Ohio is inferior to other locales. Foreign could easily mean "Not here."

Posted by: marksman | June 16, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bart | June 16, 2008 11:00 AM

C'mon Bro. I get your point about not getting overexcited about a team depending on some college kids--I agree with you 100% on that point--let's keep things in perspective. But please, let's not disrespect them. They are representing their country which is a great honor-win, lose or draw--Everybody can't be a strong team or at the top of the pile. I remember whn people used to talk about the US that way (the fact is that a lot of haterz still do). You make a great point but let's not dis our opponents. They tried their best and that is what sport is really all about.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 16, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Since this has turned into an 'Off topic' or 'Any topic' thread, I'll throw something out apropos of nothing:

Did anyone else notice Dominic Mediate run right past Dane Richards for a loose ball? I mean, he passed him in 2 or 3 strides. I don't remember where I heard it or saw it, but someone on DCU said they thought Mediate was the fastest person on the team, hands down.

I'm kind of surprised that kind of speed has been hidden this long. Although maybe it was only hidden to me.

Posted by: JkR | June 16, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I thought Mediate was the one who ran toward the left picking up Moreno's pass and passed it to Emilio to score but someone said it was McTavis so I don't know.

Posted by: arlington4united | June 16, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it was McTavish, Dave Johnson called the wrong name during his broadcast, which could have caused the confusion.

Great recognition by McT to make that run, and a clinical pass to Emilio.

Posted by: JkR | June 16, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Dear Arlington4united, it was DEFINITELY McTavish that set up Emilio's third goal with that run from Jaime's pass.
Dave Johnson credited Mediate on the air, but was later corrected by Rongren !! Johnson often confuses McTavish with Mediate and sometimes Burch. He should do better.

Posted by: Mike | June 16, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

What the he!! were the German strikers doing in that first half? Klose and Gomes played like they were sedated or something. No runs, no hustle, no creativity...I know a tie gets them through, but they are just ASKING to get hit with a lightening bolt from an Austrian after free lifetime bier....

Posted by: Throwin | June 16, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

what is the ref thinking in the aus-ger game. Both coaches? This guy is a retard.

Posted by: gilbert | June 16, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Eurosport is reporting that the managers were tossed for "abuse of the 4th Official." Not that either has covered himself with glory in the first place. Wonder what Klinsi is doing today....

Posted by: Throwin | June 16, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

BBBBAAAALLLLAAAACCCCKKKK!!!!!!!

Posted by: Throwin | June 16, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Bullet free kick into the top right 90, but the Austrian keeper looked like he got caught too far off his line. Terrific free by Ballack.

Posted by: Throwin | June 16, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious seeing the German Coach sitting in the stands with the German Chancellor Angela Merkel after getting tossed!

Cracking free kick from Ballack!

Posted by: JkR | June 16, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

OK, folks, after that storm, let's check in to see who is missing...

Thunderous strike from Ballack. I don't think even Hope Solo would have saved that shot.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 16, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I would have saved that shot.

Posted by: Hope Solo | June 16, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks JkR and Mike for confirming. I was too busy screaming at the game and didn't see clearly who he was but even later replay i somehoe missed it.

Posted by: arlington4united | June 16, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I would have made Mediate's putt, too.

Posted by: Hope Solo | June 16, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arlington4united | June 16, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

So far for the Euro games saved of the tournament:
GG Buffon. Not just stopped the penalty kick from Mutu from Romania but it would've been the game winner, not only that he saved first by his hand then to his foot.
Pass/cross of the tournament:
Ricardo Quaresma's back flick perfect powerfull 20 something yard cross against Switzerland. Even Cristiano Ronaldo can't do that.
Free kick of the tournament:
Micahel Ballack's 30 yard thunder bolt against Austria.
Commentator's phrase of the tournemant:
Dutch oven is so hot, Franch are toast.

Posted by: arlington4united | June 16, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Champions League Draw:

NEW YORK (AP)--D.C. United was placed in the same group with three-time champion Deportivo Saprissa of Costa Rica for the first round of the inaugural CONCACAF Champions League.

Recently crowned Mexican Clausura winner Santos Laguna drew the top Guatemalan side and either Chivas USA or Tauro FC of Panama.

The results of Wednesday's draw was released Monday along with the preliminary round schedule.

Besides Saprissa--which won the CONCACAF title in 2005, four-time Major League Soccer champion D.C. also drew the winner between Cruz Azul and Belize champion Hankook Verdes in Group A, along with the winner between El Salvador's Isidro Metapan and either Olimpia or Marathon of Honduras.

Santos, was placed in Group D along with the winner between two-time CONCACAF champion Alajuelense and the Puerto Rico Islanders, who play in the USL First Division.

Posted by: delantero | June 16, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Saprissa would be a real challenge, but I like United's chances against the other group contenders...even Cruz Azul.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 16, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

10 hours until our hero returns.

Posted by: Glaucon | June 16, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse