Ad-vantage Beckham

His new TV commercial.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 23, 2008; 3:04 PM ET
Categories:  Beckham
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Euro Drama
Next: USA Women's Olympic Roster Set

Comments

woohoo

Posted by: tony | June 23, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Goff- any updates on many tickets have been sold for the game? Is this expected to be a sell out?

Posted by: ef | June 23, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

This time, Newell Rubbermaid decided to actually show him in the commercial, as opposed to the first one...

Posted by: RK | June 23, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he can sharpie some balls on himself in the follow up.

Posted by: Johnny | June 23, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

30,000 sold so far

Posted by: Goff | June 23, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Where's the part in the ad where the seat warmers in the car are stuck in the on position?

Posted by: Section 130 | June 23, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

The funniest thing is the Galaxy's arch rivals supporters group, Legion made that giant banner that covers one end of the stadium with nothing but cloth and Sharpies.

Posted by: S.H.A.R.P | June 23, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why a guy would want to courage people to be asking him for autographs but that is just what this ad will do.

Posted by: Jeffrey | June 23, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I am still waiting for someone to explain what Herbalife is, and why I would ever want to buy it. Then, you can move on to Xango and Red Bull.

Posted by: AM | June 23, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone needs encouragement to ask for Beckham's John Hancock.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 23, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

At $5.5 million per year, he should be able to afford a few Sharpie's;)

Posted by: BigWave | June 23, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

hahah..very creative... that's pretty good.

Posted by: bobf | June 23, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Heh...I thought you meant 30k in Sharpies...

Posted by: RK | June 23, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

looks like clyde workin the chino machine

Posted by: Anonymous | June 23, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

looks like clyde workin the chino machine

Posted by: | June 23, 2008 4:35 PM
-----------------------------------------

Uh...no it doesn't.

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 23, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I'll take Beckham plugging Sharpies over Terrell Owens any day.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 23, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

30,000 sold so far

Posted by: Goff | June 23, 2008 3:19 PM

Judging by the thousands of tickets still available on Craigs List, Stub Hub and e-bay it will be far from 30,000 who actually show up.

Posted by: Skeptic | June 23, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I think Becks might have stuck a few Sharpies down his pants for his newest underwear ads...

Posted by: Logan Circle | June 23, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Skeptic: So like any other game in the pro sports ranks there are hundreds of tickets that are being scalped?! Oh my! Unless its in the tens of thousands range then my guess is the walk-up crowd is going to negate ALL of that.

Posted by: Dave | June 23, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skeptic | June 23, 2008 5:58 PM

Secondary market insider here -- there really aren't all that many, and what there are, 95% are being offered by two broker companies.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 23, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Barf.

Posted by: JB | June 23, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I'll agree that with an increasing chance of t-storms for Sunday that the walk up crowd will be thin, plus good luck finding parking with the Nats taking over part of the parking lot for their game against B-More.

You can still get tons of great seats on ticketmaster for face value. I'm not sure how they can even have a secondary market already.

I'll predict just over 30K...still good for DCU.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 23, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I know everyone's got a DVR these days but have these 30,000 people not been watching Euro 2008?
Is seeing Beckham in the flesh really enough for most to say ah F- it who needs to see the final anyway?
I am interested to see the numbers on how many nationwide will tune in on ABC.
I am sure everyone is going to forget about Toronto supposedly having the best fans and atmosphere on Sunday. I just hope they get the shots of the supporters prior to the game and and half time and don't get to carried away with the Beckham cam.
what ever happened to ESPN's Becks Cam anyway?

Posted by: Dadryan | June 23, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

New Sharpie Permanent Tattoo Needles.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 23, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I was expecting DB to get pulled over by a CHP and have him sign his speeding ticket with the orange Sharpie... :)

Posted by: equus | June 23, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does it look like Becks signs his name kinda funny? The first letter looks more like a "J" than a "D" - what say you?

Posted by: Miss the Mark | June 24, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Just more proof that the MLS salary structure is flawed, when it's highest paid player is unable to afford his own 2$ marker.

Sad, just sad.