An Olsen Comeback?

Greetings from RFK.

*Very interesting change to DCU's injury report: Ben Olsen, thought to be out most if not all of the season with serious ankle problems, has been upgraded to doubtful. No joke. His workouts have intensified in recent weeks and, although there are still concerns about the ankle, there seems to be a possibility he will be included on the 18-man active roster either Sunday against the Galaxy or, more likely, Tuesday for the U.S. Open Cup match against Rochester at Maryland SoccerPlex. Olsen declined comment after training today. Whatcha think of that?

*Reserve forward Francis Doe was back at training today after returning from his African World Cup qualifying adventure.

*Reserve midfielder-defender Domenic Mediate (concussion) will not be in uniform against the Galaxy.

*From all indications here at RFK, Chilean midfielder Dagoberto Currimilla is not coming on loan anytime soon. Reports surfaced yesterday in Latin America that he was on the way. Maybe down the road United will explore the possibility, but right now, there appears to be nothing to it.

*DCU rookie Dan Stratford, who grew up just outside London, has fond memories of David Beckham playing in the Premiership and said he attended the Man U-Wimbledon match in 1996 (Stratford was 11 at the time) when Becks scored from midfield. Video below:

By Steve Goff  |  June 28, 2008; 11:57 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Matchday: DCU-Galaxy

Comments

Wow, getting Benny back would be huge. Still a long way to go in the season so we certainly don't want him to rush it but wow.

Posted by: Rocko | June 28, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

...with a goalie between him and the net, too!!!

If Benny has no comment, you know he'll be back soon. SS here we come! Thanks for the good news, Mr. Goff.

Posted by: Glaucon | June 28, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Yeah!!!!

Posted by: Moteus | June 28, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't have been better news

Posted by: Skyler | June 28, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I like how the antecedent of "Whatcha think of that?" isn't clear.

Is it what do we think about him possibly playing or, even more interestingly, what do we think about Olsen declining to comment.

I mean, really, Olsen not wanted to talk?

Posted by: Tom | June 28, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

should be "not wanting to talk"

Posted by: Tom | June 28, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Benny returns??? Jesus has risen!

Posted by: CY | June 28, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I like how the antecedent of "Whatcha think of that?" isn't clear.

I mean, really, Olsen not wanted to talk?

OH COME ON. IT'S PRETTY CLEAR WHAT GOFF MEANT BY THAT QUESTION. LIGHTEN UP.

Posted by: DCU UCD | June 28, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Any chance that RFK shows the Euro final after the United match?

Posted by: Brava | June 28, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

This is better than Christmas, all birthdays, and St. Patrick's Day (slight lush)all combined!

Posted by: gilbert | June 28, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Any chance that RFK shows the Euro final after the United match?

------------

On the big screen? Not that I've heard of.

Posted by: Goff | June 28, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

"OH COME ON. IT'S PRETTY CLEAR WHAT GOFF MEANT BY THAT QUESTION. LIGHTEN UP."

Perhaps it didn't come across in writing, but I was completely joking. Just poking a bit of fun at Ben's propensity to run his mouth. ;)

Posted by: Tom | June 28, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Dynamo fan from Houston here but that is good news on Ben Olsoe - we need more like him in MLS

Posted by: JJ | June 28, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm afraid of typing what I think of the Olsen news.

Posted by: sitruc | June 28, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

DO NOT allow any British doctors near Olsen. EVER.

Posted by: Hoost | June 28, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone knocked on wood yet?!?! Quick, SOMEBODY KNOCK ON WOOD!

Posted by: Dan in FL | June 28, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Olsen was interviewed on DC101 the other morning and he basically said that having another surgery could very well mean the end. So he is giving it one more hard go to see if he can play this season before he does the surgery again. He mentioned that he was doing more in training than he had been. And that he is a long way from being match-fit.

They will be showing the Euro final at RFK, but only in the "Champions Club" behind the south goal. Capacity is limited to 500 people and you need a free advance ticket. I'm not sure exactly who it is open to, but they sent me an email invitation a couple of times. It may just be available to certain levels of season ticket holders.

If you are looking for a big screen experience, according to today's WP the Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse will be showing the game. Free admission of course.

Posted by: Glenn | June 28, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyone out there looking for two tickets? My two fellows (one got sick one got screw up work schedule). It's in section 231 $35 each. Sorry to do this here! I will provide contact info if you needed. Thanks.

Posted by: arlington4united | June 28, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Here's the link:

Unfortunately, they have a matinee screening of a kiddie film scheduled at midday. That puts them at something of a disadvantage vis-a-vis places that will be showing the DCU-Gal game.

Posted by: tri-village | June 28, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

And who thinks they can stay fro the full DC game and then get to the Arlington Draft House in time for the Germany Spain game!

As for Ben -- wonderful news but I hope he doesn't try to come back too soon. We need him even more during the end-of-season stretch and the group stage of CONCACAF Champions League

Posted by: paul | June 28, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Arlington4United: I DO have a member of my group in section 232 who is looking for an extra ticket. Perhaps she would take both.

Posted by: paul | June 28, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: paul | June 28, 2008 2:43 PM
-----------------------------
paul: Thanks for the response. I can be reached at dorjeemiller@gmail.com I will be there around 10:00 am. I have to pick up the tickets from the SE window.

Posted by: arlington4united | June 28, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I was waiting for Olsen today, at the Homeless Cup USA -- he was supposed to show with Simms, to put on a skills demonstration. They hadn't come, as of 2:00, but some of the players showed serious ball skills while practicing off the pitch.

I saw one player from Minneapolis who seems a sure bet for the Homeless USA squad, and a few others that will merit consideration. LA had the most skilled team. The DC team boasted two of the oldest players in the tourney, but they had a young guy who did a lot of running, and the team were 4-0 victors in an afternoon match, after dropping a 5-4 decision earlier. With the arrival of one big group of fans in the afternoon, there was a decent crowd. Included in the crowd was Capitals owner Ted Leonsis, who bankrolled the documentary movie "Kickin' It", now at the E Street cinema. The final is tm=morrow afternoon. It's not exactly soccer, but it is fun.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 28, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Any chance that RFK shows the Euro final after the United match?

Posted by: Brava | June 28, 2008 1:16 PM
-------------------------------------------

Pop a tape in your VCR or set your DVR, if you don't want to miss any of the game.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 28, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I think Bennie's pushing too hard to come back this season.

I hope his doctors are cool with this.

Posted by: Riz | June 28, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Would be great if Ben was on the bench and even warmed up tomorrow.

Funny it was this match last season where the mouth breathing, celebrity worshipers shrieked every time Becks jogged down the touchline. Now the real fans could drown them out with cheers for Benny.

Posted by: Kev | June 28, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

==========================================

I assume they will be targeting the far larger number of people who will be watching the RFK game from home; either that, or Eurosnobs who won't be watching that game at all. With regard to the first group, there is a problem, because it is not clear when the first game will kick off (presumably it's Disney's call), and hence it could end at 2:00 p.m. or 2:15 p.m. or anytime. Unless you live fairly close to the Drafthouse, you won't know whether you have enough time to get from one place to the other. I suspect that most people will be watching both games from a single location (either home or a watering hole).

Posted by: tri-village | June 28, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I plan on being at RFK till FT then Trusty's by kickoff of Germany-Spain :-)

Posted by: Kev | June 28, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

An Olsen comeback would be as impressive as the Moreno return from back surgery a few years ago.

Posted by: FC | June 28, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Benny Oh Oh Oh, Benny Ohway Oh!!!!

Benny Oh Oh Oh, Benny Ohway Oh!!!

Go OLSEN!!

Posted by: delantero | June 28, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Tortoise and Hare in Crystal City should also be showing the game/s.

Posted by: it's like africa hot | June 28, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: paul | June 28, 2008 2:40 PM

Well, if you don't dawdle after the DCU match you should have more than enough time to get to the Arl Cinema & Drafthouse. The Euro match starts at 2:45. The DCU game should end before 2. From lot 8 to my house in North Arlington takes about 20 minutes. Should be about the same to the Drafthouse. But you'll need to find a parking spot in that neighborhood. According to the WP they will open their doors for the match at 2:15

Posted by: Glenn | June 28, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to 10 men and butter fingers on the pitch tomorrow.

Posted by: Beans | June 28, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I really hope it works out for Olsen.

Posted by: RB | June 28, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

What is the possible benefit to putting Benny on the 18man active roster? There's no way that he's able to be on the pitch at anytime against LA - and putting him in against a Rochester team with something to prove would be risky also - especially if he admits to not being match fit.

Does the July 1 deadline have anything to do with this? I have to wonder of this is related to contractual/roster considerations or a matter of keeping him motivated.

I'd much prefer to see him get sometime in a reserve match first. I'd rather have him comeback slow now - and be a healthy contributor at the end of the season - than to run him out too quick now.

Here's to hoping that he can make it. The team w/o Olsen just isn't the same....

Posted by: PotomacBoater | June 28, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm slightly more excited that Ben is doubtful and i will be attending the game now.

Posted by: Jimbo | June 28, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Olsen has long been my favorite player on the squad, and it's a testament to his ability and just how good he is that even after a series of severe injuries any team in MLS would be lucky to have him on the pitch.

To me he's the prototype of what an American midfielder should be: hard-nosed and rough but with the occasional ridiculous bit of flair. When I watch Michael Bradley tear it up overseas I like to think he's continuing in that same tradition, and hopefully more of our future players follow suit.

Posted by: Robotnique | June 28, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I hope for Ben Olsen's sake that he doesn't play, just to play and get hurt again. As competitive as Ben is, I am sure he would play with pain, but he should wait maybe after the All-Star game to see if he has rehabed to the point where he can contribute and not be afraid of further injury. But, I am sure glad for Ben that he is coming back to the team and not having to retire because of injury. GO UNITED!!

Posted by: Leo | June 28, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

This piece aired on NPR a couple of hours ago:

Posted by: tri-village | June 28, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

It is wonderful to hear about Ben. Hope he is fully recovered tho. He is too good to lose by coming back too early. It is enough to have him working the sideline.

Posted by: bubbles | June 28, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Here is what will be landing on front lawns in the morning:

Posted by: tri-village | June 28, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Нашел вчера онлайн казино тут http://ruletka.hitscasino.net , дают при регистрации 10 долларов для тестовой игры, куча бонусов и
самое главное есть система проверки честности казино, нигде такого не видел, уже никак игрока надуть не получится :)
пока потихоньку выигрываю, чего и вам желаю

Posted by: MorrillWrassy | June 29, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Hi everyone. My name is Ray, from Utica, NY. I will be visiting Poland soon, and I am hoping to meet my Polish relatives. I also hope some people from here may help me in contacting my relatives before my visit. Thanks and looking forward to meeting some great people on here!

Posted by: nemiroff | June 29, 2008 2:31 AM | Report abuse

What does the overall attendance figures in the MLS look like compared to the past couple of seasons? I'm curious how much attendance has grown and how much of that is attributable to Beckham.

Posted by: noptov52 | June 29, 2008 2:45 AM | Report abuse

Interesting to see a lot of people trying to play doctor for Olsen. I highly doubt anyone posting here is on United's training staff.

If Olsen is able to play some part against Rochester, that would be great. We need Olsen on the field if we want to win things this year (current hot streak notwithstanding). I'm sure the training staff and Olsen, who know that a further serious problem could lead to his retirement, are both taking this cautiously.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 29, 2008 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nemiroff | June 29, 2008 3:48 AM | Report abuse

Is this match report from the MLS site accurate?

If there were indeed fewer than 6,000 people in the house, then we may have ourselves a Coyote Ugly item. (Then again, this report contradicts itself as to whether the last goal was an autogol.)

Posted by: tri-village | June 29, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

@Tri: i think it's a typo--the attendance--the Herald has the attendance at nearly 16K.

Posted by: sec 131 | June 29, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Tri-village,

Ralston had a goal worthy of a Marco Etcheverry highlight reel in that "coyote-ugly" game.

Anyone know if DC United is sticking with the black jerseys in the noon-day sun?

Last week was hot, sunny and sticky with the 3 pm start and it showed on the field. Today should be a bit worse.

Posted by: garbaggio | June 29, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Nothing cures a hang over quite like a few beers in the RFK parking lot on a cool DC summer morning. Good crowd already...8:41AM

Don't worry Fisher I think most of them are here for the Nats game :-) right?

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 29, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Tri-village,

=========================================

I did NOT characterize the game itself, which I did not see, as CU. I was referring specifically to a report of low attendance, a report that has since been shown to be erroneous.

Posted by: tri-village | June 29, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Here is what will be landing on front lawns in the morning:

Posted by: tri-village | June 28, 2008 9:42 PM
=======================

Dang it! Why'd you have to spoil it for me? :-)

My fellow Florida alumnus, George Solomon, also has a DC United/Beckham item in his column.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 29, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

anyone else afraid we just saw Benny's swansong? I bet he retires Monday to free up the space. I hope not, but still...

Posted by: northzax | June 29, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse