Around MLS

*Juan Pablo Angel lifts the Red Bulls over Chivas USA, 1-0, on this header. Did attendance reach five figures in the Swamp? Nope (9,521) -- though you'd never know it from the audio on ESPN2. It sounded as if a microphone had been strategically placed in the middle of the small section behind the goal where the supporters' group is located, creating the illusion of a bigger, rowdier crowd. Anyone else notice that?

*The Celtics are hosting the Lakers in the first two games of the NBA finals and the World Series champion Red Sox are at Fenway battling for first place (and battling themselves). But amid the basketball and baseball hysteria in Boston, Brazil's national team has come to town for a friendly against Venezuela tonight in front of what might be a capacity crowd at Gillette Stadium. And oh yeah, the Revs face FC Dallas in the first game of the doubleheader, which allows the club to cheaply claim the night's overall attendance figure as its own and, in turn, significantly boost its season average.

*Nice New York Times feature on Jorge Flores, who made the Chivas USA roster through the Sueño MLS contest last year and has emerged as a goal-scorer this year.

*As part of a DCU promotion, this guy will perform in RFK's Lot 8 before the United-Red Bulls match next Saturday.

Don't forget to vote in the previous thread for who you think will win the European Championship.

More later.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 6, 2008; 8:54 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: And The Winner Is.....
Next: DCU Update

Comments

My heart says:

España!!!!!

My head says:

Spain has a decent chance, if they survive the quarterfinal match against the Group C team. They tend to fold against the big teams, so this year is a great time to break the bad habits and grind out tough victories.

Otherwise, Germany and Portugal have the easier draws, so whoever's more in form should make the final with an easier path than the Group C or D teams. Not guaranteed - just easier.

Posted by: La Furia | June 6, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Fold NY. Once the stadium is built in Harrison, start the up again. That "game" last night was the biggest waste of time in sports history. Hopefully the 125 people in attendance enjoyed it.

Posted by: Hoost | June 6, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Man! That was a boring match. Did either team string more that 3 passes together? the highlight was the interview with Jozy and even that wasn't anything new.

And I did notice that the crowd sounded bigger than it looked. Maybe the noise was recorded from another match. Note that the crowd shots were close-ups of 10-12 people, rather than the wide angle shots we see of the BB/SE sections.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 6, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

9521! I thought it was more like 2000. It was painfull to watch although I didn't watch whole thing because I was switching between United 1999 and England classic games.
As for the double header, who would want to watch Revs v Dallas after Brazil game? I would watch with sympathy but will be painfull. I bet most people will leave.

Really excited about the Euro 2008!!

Posted by: football | June 6, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

nice story on Flores. What a ride for the kid. The game last night was just sad, crowd-wise. Has there been any reaction from MLS (in private) about their attendance issues? They can only use double-header gimmicks for so long.

Posted by: downtown | June 6, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

The Revs play the first game.

Posted by: Huh? | June 6, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

A blog entry from yesterday: "Keep in mind - for the last 30 or so years, we've grown in to a nation that has been sold/wants "entertainment experiences" at sporting events. Funny how soccer fans tend to want the match itself to be the entertainment. Crazy!"

Today we learn that DCU is "promoting" some crazy kid doing X-game stunts on a bicycle.

How about a poetry slam instead?

The match itself's not as compelling

when your team is cellar-dwelling.

Posted by: Old WNT fan | June 6, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I think ESPN may be miking the supporter sections during their games as a regular tactic. During the United-Chicago game there was a pair of microphones on a stand between 132 and 133 (or 133-134).

Posted by: John | June 6, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, but there is only one stadium known as the Swamp and it is in Gainesville, Fl. That is all.

Posted by: MDgator | June 6, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

great story about Flores. I see him as a rising star. You can just looking by his movemant. It's great that he was in US team. Worthy of mentioning though that obiviously our big guys up couldn't identify him but his persistant paid off and in the end he will be a star.

Posted by: football | June 6, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MDgator | June 6, 2008 9:36 AM
===============

Where the girls are the fairest, the men are the squarest.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 6, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Any word on when the US roster for Sunday's game against Argentina will be announced?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

MLS needs to focus on the quality of the product on the field and not irrelevant "entertainment" sideshows or dishonest attendance measurements. Play beautiful soccer and the entertainment/attendance issues will take care of themselves.

Posted by: FC | June 6, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, they must have had microphones in the supporter section, plus I loved how they would only ever show a close up of the supporter section and no where else. I know they are trying to build excitement, and that's a good thing, but it was a bit over the top last night. Also, they need to check their audio levels, because when Jozy was in the booth, they didn't turn down the audio on the fans and you could barely hear the kid.

Posted by: Nick | June 6, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

ESPN has been doing this for awhile. There was a Galaxy match maybe last season that was the first time I noticed it.

If they want a more watchable product for Thursday nights, maybe they shouldn't schedule New York matches for national television. It never matters whether the team is any good, the crowd won't come. I'm not even sure they'll come to Harrison, but at least it won't look as terrible on TV.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | June 6, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: silentbob | June 6, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Going to RedBull matches is a chore to say the least. There are less people there then a Portland Timbers match (which fans are a blast). The vast majority there are babysitting their youth soccer teams 'outting'. They're more emotionally envolved with their parking space then the outcome of the match.

I miss being close enough to see DC matches live (or Timbers). I think the 'soccer fans' in this area are strictly foreign-centric. Until MLS is actually 'the best', no one in NYC is going to attend (maybe the Queens team will see some fans..but Red Bull has a huge hill to climb).

Posted by: bill | June 6, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say, "Gator!"

"There's a gator in the bushes
He's calling my name
And he's sayin'
Come on, boy
You better make it back home again!"

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 6, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

did they install temporary grass at Foxboro too for tonight?

as I said last night, we have so many big stadiums with real grass in this country, why don't we use them instead of these stupid places with artificial turf? Covering the hard stuff with temporary sod isn't much a solution and is dangerous.

Posted by: Glenn | June 6, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

@silentbob

Every team in MLS sings the same songs. It's hard to teach us Americans good things to sing and pass along the words.

But I just poke my ears with a screwdriver before other teams' matches anyway to avoid hearing "Va-mos, Va-mos Columbus (Houston, Rev-o-lution, etc), Es-ta No-che, Te-nemos Que Ga-nar"

Not being a United supporters snob - but my lord - there's nothing to distinguish "atmospheres" in the songs of supporters.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 6, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say, "Gator!"

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 6, 2008 10:26 AM
==================

www.heathermitts.com

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 6, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if it was the heat, a long day or the game but I actually fell asleep infront of my TV. That game did suck something aweful. I tell you when the heat kicks in, the non-possession style teams tend to look very pedestrian (CUSA is a possession style team that is just hurting for bodies).

I tell you what, not to count my chickens or anything, but when Flores scored that Scholes-esque full-volley against (man I forget who already, Crew?) I started saying to myself "MLS please develop Jozy's future starting partner properly." Kid's got some work to do, but you gotta love that he has the stones to take people on, and even bigget stones to take shots. Here's wishing the best for the kid.

Posted by: Kosh | June 6, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

____________________
ESPN did that for the DCU game as well. Put it to the right of Screaming Eagles. It's a good idea, marketing-wise. You can't feel atmosphere if you don't see what the pockets of fans are really like.

Posted by: Ryan from Baltimore | June 6, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

The announcer that wasnt Harkes sounded disappointed when Angel scored. Any one else notice that?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

The announcer that wasn't Harkes sounded disappointed when Angel scored. Any one else notice that?

Posted by: | June 6, 2008 10:57 AM

I think he was embarrassed that perhaps the most feared striker in the league was totally unmarked 8 yds in front of the goal.

Honestly it almost looked like the game was fixed he was so open...

Posted by: JkR | June 6, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Since I work for the gub'ment and they block youtube, just who exactly is it that will be playing in Lot 8?

Posted by: Dave | June 6, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

These are heady days for Boston fans... in pretty much any sport....

That game last night was a snoozer. That field is just crap; no wonder Angel is suffering with all sorts of injuries. The sooner all matches are on grass the better - even if its a highschool stadium.

Is the game against Argentina even worth watching? I was at the match at RFK when Joe Max scored. We put up a fight. Im afraid this one is going to end up 5 or 6 nil.

Posted by: Hacksaw | June 6, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Matches @ the 'Plex

Sunday June 8, 6 PM: Freedom v Boston

Tuesday June 10, 8:00pm US Open Cup. Real Maryland Monarchs v New York Pancyprian Freedoms.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 6, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

hey be happy that espn put microphone to supporter's section. people complain when they don't show or hear supporters singing or cheering.

Posted by: td | June 6, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

We did a little more than "put up a fight" that day. We kinda won the match.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | June 6, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave | June 6, 2008 11:09 AM

Molly Hatchet!

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 6, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Note to Angel - "We can help you with you back problems, just ask Jaime Moreno."

Posted by: Kosh | June 6, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"There's far less of those guys than people think," says Sigi Schmid about Latino players with potential to make it to MLS.

In McAllen, Texas, where I live, there is an amateur league with four divisions and more than sixty teams, all comprised mostly of Hispanic players. If Sigi or any other MLS coach would bother coming down here, he would find many more kids like Jorge Flores.

Posted by: Chris | June 6, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I just wish United had someone who could head the ball as clinically perfect as Angel can. Angel did nothing all game long: he was alone up top all night, but then BAM, perfect header. You can't teach that stuff...

Posted by: Dantes | June 6, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

You're dead on about the Revolution using the Brazil match to artificially inflate attendance numbers, but this is business practice the Revolution are well versed in and make no apologies about. Thing is, I'd be hard pressed to believe the anticipated 50,000-plus crowd will make it into the stadium for the first match, but rather, will enjoy about five to six hours of tailgating outside the stadium before they head in.

I know a number of Revolution fans who are staying home for this one, specifically because:

* They didn't want the original Revs match moved...

* They'd be forced to pay additional $$$ for a match they don't really care to see...

* Members of the primary supporters group can't tailgate in their usual location...

Finally, the scheduled start time of the game for New England (6:30PM) will force most Revolution supporters to drive down to Foxboro in the middle of Friday-evening rush hour on a weekend and on a route that's likely to see half the city heading to cape Cod for relief from the anticipated hot weather.

Posted by: Evan | June 6, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Chris - YES you are spot on!!

Posted by: bobf | June 6, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

So Rev fans don't want to cough up the extra bucks to watch a global powerhouse put on a soccer clinic? sheesh...

Posted by: Dirtyharry | June 6, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"Hearing the handful of fans singing "Vamos Red Bull, esta noche tenemos que ganar" made me want to poke my ears out with a rusty screwdriver.

Posted by: silentbob
------------------------------------------
Must remember to tell the boys to sing that one more often... ;)

Posted by: Aguinaga | June 6, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

"Sigi must be living in a different country or must be on heavy medication. I am a high school coach in South Texas and I can attest that most of my players can control and pass the ball under pressure, better than most of the lumberjacks on the backline of the Red Bulls."
-----

Posted by: Matt Mathai | June 6, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Will they lay down sod for Sunday? I can't imagine Argentina playing on that crap of a field. They would never come back...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave | June 6, 2008 11:09 AM

Molly Hatchet!

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 6, 2008 11:23 AM
===================

Wish it were so. Of course it would take a miracle for a couple of the original members to play. It's some X-gamer named Bestwick.

Switch agencies. They don't all block YouTube.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 6, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

That match last night was horrible. Those teams should be embarrassed to play that way, even in MLS. To much donkey kicking going on with those guys...

Posted by: peridigm | June 6, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if they are gonna truck in a ramp so just one guy can ride.
It would be neat if they let some tailgaters give it a go...
Anyone else out there roll in or drop in on a vert ramp before? How bout after a half dozen beers?

Posted by: Dadryan | June 6, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@I-270, Exit 1: is it possible that you and I are the only lovers of soccer who also appreciate Molly Hatchet?

Of course, they do sing the Red Bulls theme song:

"Dreams I'll Never See"

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 6, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc: I grew up in North Florida. I likes me some Hatchet, Skynyrd, and .38 Special.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 6, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

We did a little more than "put up a fight" that day. We kinda won the match.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | June 6, 2008 11:23 AM

We didn't just win, we came we saw we kicked their ass that day.

Posted by: Matthai | June 6, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

"And most of your guys are better players than Altidore, no doubt. We'd all see that if only a scout would come down and watch your team play.I'm glad you support your players, but let's not confuse pressure from high school opponents with pressure from professionals, however poor you might think they are."
-----
Not one of my players is better than Altidore.I'm not delirious. I've played the game for thirty years and I know it well.

The point is that most of the Red Bull players are uncomfortable with the ball at their feet (as everybody saw at the game last night against Chivas) and they're professionals in their twenties.

Meanwhile, some of our Hispanic teenagers have the potential to be more reliable MLS players when they're in their twenties. They just need the opportunity. And no, I'm not confused. I understand the difference between professional and high school pressure perfectly. What I mean is that the Latino players are already very strong technically as 15 and 16 year olds while some current MLS players were never that strong in the first place.

I'm just trying to say that the next Jorge Flores is around the corner if MLS is willing to look for him.

Posted by: Chris | June 6, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

jamie bestwick is incredible. he is very worth taking the time to watch him during the pregame. he's by far the best vert bmx rider out there right now and he does incredible things.

if you can't tell, the action sports tour www.ast.com is my second favorite sport to follow behind mls.

i'll be in baltimore to watch the first ast stop on 6/20. it's on nbc all weekend :)

Posted by: hokie soccer fan | June 6, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

@VBB,

There should be a supporters' song writing contest. I agree that it is difficult to differentiate the atmosphere when all the supporters are singing the same songs with their own club names inserted. I would write a song, but my talent is hand modeling :)

Posted by: Tron | June 6, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse