DCU Update

*RFK survived Wednesday's storm without significant damage to the field -- just an awful lot of water passing through the turf.

*United officials are beginning to look ahead to the club's U.S. Open Cup opener on July 1, a round-of-16 match against an opponent to be determined. RFK is not available because of a non-soccer event, so if United is awarded hosting rights by the USSF, it would likely end up at Maryland SoccerPlex. First-round games involving USL and amateur sides are June 10, with the second round two weeks later. For the initial backet, click here.

*No word yet on the rescheduled date for the washed-out United-Dynamo match. Probably no news until early next week. A Wednesday in early September or a midweek date in late July are the most realistic options.

*Jaime Moreno said he has not heard a word from the Bolivian federation about the country's upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Chile and Paraguay and does not plan to go. He had been at some risk of missing next weekend's United match against the Red Bulls.

*Fred, whose wife is due to give birth in the coming days, is scheduled to fly with the team to Chicago today. "I don't even ask. I don't want to know," joked Coach Tom Soehn, who was without defender Gonzalo Peralta for road games at Toronto and New England while his wife was pregnant.

That's all for now. Expect the USA's final roster for Sunday's Argentina match at Giants Stadium to be announced this afternoon.

By Steve Goff  |  June 6, 2008; 11:59 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Around MLS
Next: Streamers on Probation

Comments

Real Maryland in the Cup at the Soccerplex - that would be fun.

Posted by: Kev | June 6, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Peralta and Fred for being there for their wives.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 6, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice to see some MLS forwards bolster our anemic US men's team offense on Sunday against Argentina.

Altidore (although it seems unlikely after he sprained his thumb talking on the cellphone with his agent), Ching or Kenny Cooper would all be an improvement over some of the "attackers" we used against England and Spain.

Posted by: garbaggio | June 6, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why they aren't looking at the 9 days between the Dynamo's game on July 3rd and the beginning of Superliga.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 6, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Hoping for the best for Fred and family.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

WE MUST FACE HARRISBURG AGAIN AND DESTROY THEM!! If I have to walk around this town and be reminded of last year's debacle any longer I might go nuts. I demand retribution and nothing short of a massive victory by way of blood-letting in a meaningful tourney will do.

My employer sponsors the Islanders and everytime they come around this way the United defeat is second tops in their chest thumping (winning the div 2 title last year is tops). When I go to meetings and I see that jersey hanging there and it burns my soul.

Posted by: Kosh | June 6, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

They have non-soccer events at RFK?

Posted by: Beatie Boys | June 6, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

They have non-soccer events at RFK?

Posted by: Beatie Boys | June 6, 2008 1:27 PM

Yes, whenever NY comes to town.

Posted by: Hoost | June 6, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone yet posted a link to this recent Sports Bog entry?

Come to think of it, RFK truly was a "sports bog" a couple of nights ago.

Posted by: tri-village | June 6, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kosh | June 6, 2008 1:26 PM

Reminders of last year's US Open Cup debacle, plus you have to work in Harrisburg. You have my deepest sympathies Kosh. Please remind the HCI fans that we don't have to swat at massive amounts of mayflies during games at RFK.

Posted by: BIllyBob | June 6, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I totally misread and thought that you said that Fred's wife is due on Monday and flying to Chicago with the team!
Break a leg United!
Positive thoughts and energy for the Da Silva's?

Posted by: Dadryan | June 6, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

WE MUST FACE HARRISBURG AGAIN AND DESTROY THEM!!

Posted by: Kosh | June 6, 2008 1:26 PM

You do realize we will probably play all reserves in the first US Open Cup game again, and the same sort of result is very likely. Would it be worse if we lost 2 years in a row?

Posted by: Rich C | June 6, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

When DC United starts giving a damn about the Open Cup then I will too. Till then I can't be bothered with it.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | June 6, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LW | June 6, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how well Perkins is doing over there in Norway?

Posted by: Matt | June 6, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Real Maryland in the Cup at the Soccerplex - that would be fun.

Posted by: Kev | June 6, 2008 12:17 PM
====================

From previous thread:
Tuesday June 10, 8:00pm US Open Cup. Real Maryland Monarchs v New York Pancyprian Freedoms.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 6, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I-270, that's the first round. United doesn't enter until the third.

Posted by: Goose | June 6, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

"They should be bothered with it since the US Open Cup now carries a spot into Champions League."

And the way we've been playing that may be the BEST chance we have all season at qualifying for Champions League next year.

We can almost rule out the Supporter's Sheild route at this point.

Posted by: Play the 1st team | June 6, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rich C | June 6, 2008 2:21 PM

Yup I know. But HSI fans don't let that little fact get in the way of ticking me off - it's like beating Brazil round these parts. I hope DC would have enough pride to not want to bow out to a third-tier team in Cup competition again, reserves or not. Don't you think it a fair expectation to have the reserves of a top tier side be good enough to beat a the starters of a third-tier team? If we meet again and we lose to these guys, you can color me stark raving mad.

Posted by: Kosh | June 6, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

any guess as to how many words will be in the name of fred's kid?

Posted by: blancanieves | June 6, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Goose,

I know. I was responding to the comment about real MD @ the Plex. Whether Kev meant RM v DCU is unclear.

And I wanted to post "Pancyprian" again. That word needs a hyphen so it won't resemble Fancypants.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 6, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

By HSI I meant HCI (Harrisburg City Islanders) sweet lord I HATE that name. It is the weakest name ever. You'd think that they would have went with River City or something.

Posted by: Kosh | June 6, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I had assumed he meant DCU vs Real Germantown.

I'd rather see DC vs Crystal Palace Baltimore

Posted by: Goose | June 6, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how well Perkins is doing over there in Norway?

Posted by: Matt | June 6, 2008 2:57 PM
__________

From what i've heard (via the BigSoccer Alumni board... got a local contact posting regularly) he's doing very, very well.. a little shaky at first, but rapidly improving, and he loves it over there. I miss him!

Posted by: JB | June 6, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Perkins kept a clean sheet earlier this week:

Posted by: doug | June 6, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kosh | June 6, 2008 3:23 PM

===============================

Best local name would be Pineknotters.

Posted by: Old WNT fan | June 6, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse