DCU Updates

Let's start our session with DCU's goalkeeping status.....

Coach Tom Soehn, on departing trialist Manuel Vallaurio (Monaco): "I think he came from a situation where he has been coached because some of the dynamics of positioning are all there. It's just not a situation we are going to act on right now. ... I just don't think it's a good fit."

How about Matt Pickens, the former Chicago standout whose contract will not be renewed by Queens Park Rangers this summer after a half-season in England? (If Pickens returns to MLS, the Fire would have the right of first refusal and be in position to trade his rights. However, he is probably looking for other opportunities in Europe.)

"I don't discuss anything that we do unless it is something that is legit," Soehn said. "I won't comment on any rumors or speculation, anything of the sort."

*Starter Zach Wells, on playing almost every game and on his overall form: "I feel good. I feel like I am going in the right direction. I feel like I am building and I am eager to play each and every game. I think I sat around enough the last four years waiting for the opportunity to play. I haven't started as well as I would have liked to, but now I think we are starting to see some improvement and I feel like I am working toward something. I have a bar that I set for myself and I feel like I am getting there, getting closer to it every week. Slowly, things are coming together and the only way to really test yourself is in games. For me personally, I am not getting exhausted physically or mentally. I am actually quite the opposite. I kind of get more energized the more games I play."

Speaking in general on building depth at keeper, Soehn said: "We just want to make sure that we are deep in every position. We are going to keep looking in every position to make sure, when the transfer window comes, that we feel we have made our team stronger. So we do that with everybody."

*As of this morning, ticket sales for Sunday's match at RFK against San Jose were around 15,000.

*After training, Ben "Cesar Chavez" Olsen was scheduled to lead a players' union meeting. [UPDATE: Actually, it occurred yesterday, not today.]

*Tune in to Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" this evening for my segment about DCU and MLS. The show is live from 5 until 6 p.m., and on tape at 11. I will also be on next Tuesday.

*Finally, click here to see the creative way Seattle is handling season ticket applications leading to its 2009 debut.

By Steve Goff  |  June 20, 2008; 12:59 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: USA Roster Unveiled

Comments

Wells has to be sweating with the team engaging in a very public goalkeeper search. I wonder if he can pull off his first clean sheet of the season this Sunday; that might boost his standing in the eyes of the bosses a bit.

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | June 20, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"I wonder if he can pull off his first clean sheet of the season this Sunday; that might boost his standing in the eyes of the bosses a bit."

San Jose has failed to score in 8 of 12 league games and has scored a grand total of 9 goals (not a bad tally for 4 games, but not the key to a decent season).

If Wells cannot keep a clean sheet against San Jose, he needs to be dropped to the reserves immediately and heaven help us!

Posted by: Really... | June 20, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

That Seattle season tix page is cool. Except I would have asked %of people who are annoyed by the guy that walks around the stadium with the bass drum trying to get people to chant! or is that just at RFK?

Posted by: Haterade | June 20, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
Speaking of the sounders (OK, this is waaaaay off topic, but no chat this week!) and I was watching a report on the Mcbride debacle and had a thought that might solve the whole thing:
1) Mcbride is tied to Toronto in MLS, but he could sign with USL-1 side Seattle
2) Seattle is getting promoted and can bring some of their players with them
3) Seattle negotiates with Chicago for his rights, causing Toronto to actually get a reasonable deal.

The upside is that Toronto is not the only bidder, the downside is that Mcbride may not be in MLS this year (although he'd miss much of the summer with the Oly squad.)

Would something like this work? I'd like MLS to be a real league and not have players moved because they want it (although BMcB certainly deserves that kind of attention) as well as have a fair price paid by chicago - no landon donovan (or F. Adu to be fair) deals.

The longer it goes on, the more MLS looks mickey mouse as each side gripes and whines.

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | June 20, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I suppose it has everything to do with single entity, but how can Pickens be out of contract, have worked for another soccer team in the interim and still be the property of a team in MLS? Can you ever be a 'free' agent in this League. Even with McBride, is there a statute of limitations if you are out of the league for a much longer time?

Posted by: AM | June 20, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
Any insight as to why Picken's contract will not be renewed? Early indications in the blog were that he was doign well there.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see those general admission prices so low for the Sounders.
I know people hate on the turf but that stadium is sick. Those seats behind the north goal should be a lot of fun.
I wonder where the "band" will be posted up.
As for Wells I sure hope Ben has imposed all kinds of sanctions on him around the home front. I think Ben should make him sleep in the yard if he doesn't get a clean sheet this weekend.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 20, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Players Union Meeting?

Has there been any news on how far apart the sides are in the new CBA being negotiated?

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 20, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Excellent! I like the public search approach. He needs to be under the gun - the place where he would have been if we had a half decent backup (I cannot confidently comment on that as I have not seen Cavallo play outside of the RSL blood-letting, but it does leave one wondering "How bad can this guy be?").

Soehn on Vallaurio: "I think he came from a situation where he has been coached because some of the dynamics of positioning are all there..." To whomm it may concern: OUCH!!

Our current form makes me confident that we will take all the points against SJ, but I cannot see us doing it with a clean sheet. We need to find our number 1 goalie as soon as possible.

Posted by: Kosh | June 20, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | June 20, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Running a cursor over the ticket sections, as suggested in the blog, the buyers of those Sounders FC season tickets reveal their very pedestrian soccer tastes. Most of them, quite properly, identify the Sounders as their favorite team, but almost all of them choose your standard EPL teams as second or third favorite -- no La Liga or Serie A choices out there.

Posted by: paul | June 20, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Not all of us paul. When asked by the seattle tix rep I told him DC United. He laughed then realized I was serious. Are there any seattle based DC fans out there?

Posted by: matt Y | June 20, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I take offense to calling Ben Olsen a Communist.

Posted by: UnitedDC | June 20, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

In Soviet Russia, beard grow you!

Posted by: Yaka | June 20, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

re: I take offense to calling Ben Olsen a Communist.

the need for civil rights is hardly communistic...

please think before you type... and please read a history book....

Posted by: myt! | June 20, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"I'd like MLS to be a real league and not have players moved because they want it"

-------------------------

Posted by: Ben | June 20, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

the comment on Vallaurio is cryptic.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I thought the comment on Pickens was pretty cryptic. It wasn't a denial or an affirmation, but your standard, non-descript, "no comment" statement.

Posted by: Jason | June 20, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Ben: Can we beat San Jose?

Team: "Si se puede!"

Ben: Can we get a clean sheet this week?

Team: "Si se puede!"
---

In Soviet Russia, beard grow you!

Posted by: Yaka | June 20, 2008 2:28 PM

In Soviet Union, players union meets with YOU!

Posted by: Sporting Hum, OR | June 20, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Seattle's site is awesome. Every new team in MLS should copy exactly what they've done. The mix of an American name with international authenticity. The club membership that is the closest thing to Europe we will ever have. The website in tons of different languages. And finally, that incredibly awesome season ticket deposite system. It makes me excited to see them start playing and I've never been within 1,000 miles of Seattle.

Posted by: Max | June 20, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Ben:
"Because that kind of thing never happens in Europe? Why is Ronaldo leaving ManU then? They're looking to upgrade at winger?"

Sorry. What I wrote came out wrong. I'd like the single entity to not bully teams into doing the right thing. If C. Ronaldo wants to leave and ManU can settle on a Fee, he will leave. But ManU has choices (some) as to where he can be sold.

In MLS, due to the setup, Toronto holds all the card for McBride unless the league steps in and "arranges something" - ie strong arms the teams. If MLS didn't have rules preventing him going to the highest bidder - ala Europe/Rest of the world - this would all be a non issue.

I'm merely suggesting an alternative that could push Toronto off their perch - as well as get Chicago to stop whining about fairness.

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | June 20, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Who better than Olsen to carry the torch --"an injury to one is an injury to all"

Posted by: OWNTF | June 20, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe you should move to Seattle Max.
If you love the Metronatural life style you will surely enjoy yourself.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 20, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

There may be some United fans in Seattle, transplants perhaps. I don't think there is any lack of Soccer Fans though.
Someone mentioned in an earlier thread about getting spoiled in DC when it comes to Futball Friendly bars, and they hit the nail on the head.
If anywhere is a melting pot it's DC if you ask me. Representation from everywhere. Listen to the accents you might hear at the lucky bar on any given day when Champions League is going on!

Posted by: Dadryan | June 20, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Wells is terrible. He must go, I don't care about any bar he sets for himself...he needs to reach for the bar of DC United pride and excellence. However, after the number of chances that Mr. Wells has had, it appears pretty clear that he is not of United standard and MUST be put out to pasture. To me he appears to be a good USL-2 starter and could perhaps ride the pine for a better USL-1 team.

Posted by: YASHIN | June 21, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse