DCU-LA, the Aftermath

Was RFK at its loudest after each of DCU's four goals (they could have scored eight) or when Ben Olsen made his season debut? It was an emotional moment for player, team and supporters, and was captured beautifully in a sidebar by my young Post colleague Steve Yanda.

My full match report has been posted.

Soccer scoresheet reports usually aren't much fun, but Jaime Moreno's scoreline today was: 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 shot, 1 shot on goal, 1 corner kick, 1 offside, 1 foul committed, 1 foul suffered.

Quote of the day comes from Gonzalo Martinez, who took a close-range Beckham cross in the groin in the first minute. I asked him how much it hurt. He chuckled and said: "From 1 to 100, it was 100."

Santino Quaranta has a strained hamstring and, from early indications, probably will not play Tuesday against Rochester in the U.S. Open Cup at Maryland SoccerPlex.

Video highlights available by clicking here.

A Post slide show available here.

PLAYER RATINGS: Wells 7; Namoff 7, Peralta 6, McTavish 7, Martinez 8; Quaranta 6, Simms 7, Gallardo 7, Fred 6; Moreno 7, Emilio 8. Subs: Burch 7, Dyachenko 6, Olsen 5.

Finally.....

What's that sound I keep hearing? Why, it's the whine of Mrs. Insider, just back from accompanying Son of Insider and two mates to the Apocalypse on the Anacostia (section 211, row 1). Despite her close association with the Insider, Mrs. Insider doesn't get to many DCU matches. She was appalled at the deterioration and general filth at RFK, not to mention the concession stands that don't take credit cards. "They should blow it up tomorrow," Mrs. Insider said.

Almost 8:30 p.m., and still complaining. (And justifiably so.)

Back tomorrow with our weekly Good, Bad, Coyote Ugly feature.

By Steve Goff  |  June 29, 2008; 8:15 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday Europe
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Wells looked great. He handled balls in the air quite well. And I think Fred deserves an extra rating point.

Posted by: Paul | June 29, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

89 minutes and 45 seconds of great soccer today. If it wasn't for that one moment. Oh, well. Let's not dwell on it. Benny was back on the field. He didn't look like he was comfortable, but he still inspires the others. Great game. Wells looked much better. Martinez and McTavish continue to shine in the back field. I'm just glad they completely shut down that whiner Landy Cakes. Gallardo should have broken his nose.

Posted by: MezzSouthGol | June 29, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how to react to Mrs. Insider being on the Beckham bandwagon. I am inclined to give her a pass, but only because we love Steven so much.

Posted by: Henchlow | June 29, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I almost forgot. I agree with Mrs. Insider. The concessions are a joke. Except when you are hungry. By halftime there wasn't a cooked hot dog to be found. Don't they check ticket sales to see how much should be stocked, cooked ahead of time, distributed, etc.? My kids went hungry because the only food they could eat was in the parking lot in a cooler. I hope DC United management and ownership are reading this. You are being taken advantage of by the Stadium Authority and held hostage by the food vendor. It may soon affect the ticket sales. The vendor in years past wasn't great, but they were far better then what we have now. Now that DCU is winning, it is the only real downside to my season tickets.

Posted by: MezzSouthGol | June 29, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. SI is correct, of course. That's why I wear my lawn cutting sneakers to RFK. Never a good pair of shoes to RFK for me. I also stopped going to the food stands long ago except in dire emergency's. Shame.

Beer stands are more tolerable...

Kudos to M. Burch for a CRACKING free kick. Best looking miss I have seen in a while.

Posted by: JkR | June 29, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I was pleasantly surprised at how well Burch played today. Frankly, I haven't been impressed with his previous efforts when playing in the midfield, but he looked quite good vs. the Galaxy.

Posted by: noptov52 | June 29, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing Olsen will be on the "Good" list.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | June 29, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

agree about Burch. Well shot ball. If that was anywhere on net, it was in. Cronin was snowed on that shot.

How many crosses do you think Wells took this week getting ready for Beckham? He actually seemed to be able to read them a little bit. Lets see if he continues getting better. Another keeper soon would be great though. We are so close to being back at top form. Maybe just a goalkeeper away.

Posted by: moreno4prez | June 29, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

No comments on Mr. Spice - er, Beckham's - gesture to the Barra after the LA goal?

I sit in the section just behind, and it was plain as day...

he did the crooked arm "Up Yours/F-U" gesture...and being the craven marketing cyborg that he is, he hunched his body so the network cameras on the opposite sideline could not see him do it.

Total lack of class, considering his pedigree. Maybe Landycakes is rubbing off on him.

Wells easily had the best game of his United career. Today he had his first, second, and arguably third game-breaking hella-saves. I was hoping he rated at least a seven and Goff did not disappoint.

Sad that DC can't fill the stadium even once this year.

Posted by: Erick | June 29, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Interesting comments about the concessions.

I have never thought about going to a stadium to eat. I always thought the food stands were a way to make obscene profits for mediocre food.

But I guess two hours is a long time for some people to go without food. So the stadium owes them a good meal.

Posted by: Grahm Kerr | June 29, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Graham,

Earlier in the season, there were NO concessions in the stand. I can't remember the details, I think it was somehow related to the Nationals, but Aramark(?) had no one in the stands to sell anything.

Just another one of many DC "F-Offs" to the United Nation.

Posted by: Erick | June 29, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

to defend the consession stands, their fries have improved a bit since opening day, haha.
but their condiment boxes, suck dearly.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | June 29, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

concessions*

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | June 29, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. Insider is right on. Concessions were an absolute disgrace. DC United should be ashamed for tolerating this. Many weren't even open; huge lines for others. Ran out of hot dogs and pretzels at others. Completely understaffed. To get drinks out, some enterprising vendors were dragging unopened cases out of closets, opening and selling drinks right from the concourses. All this in addition to the general filth of the stadium. DC United missed a golden opportunity to treat their biggest crowd to a grand experience that would bring them back - my bet is that this will be the first and last trip for all those who came to see Beckham. Disgraceful.

Posted by: Hmmm | June 29, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

i gave man of the match to Gallardo for cracking Landon's nose.

great to see Bennie back. i gave him a 10 just for getting back out there

Posted by: hiro_pro | June 29, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Erick, I know folks who won't go to this, a regular season game, because of the increased ticket prices - they won't buy into the gimmick of paying more to see one guy, when they can see better soccer at other regular season games (cheaper).

Posted by: downtown | June 29, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I know Wells did not have a clean sheet but he made some nice saves how about a 7.5?

Posted by: Jeff | June 29, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

waaah, waaaah
they didn't have any hot dogs,
waaah, waaaah
it was dirty
waaah, waaaah
so mickey mouse
waaah, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Posted by: cheese | June 29, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

The version for the front lawn/vending machine/7-11/whatever crowd:

Posted by: tri-village | June 29, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I kinda like RFK. Verizon Center, Nationals Park, and FedEx have no personality to them, and despite the (wholly unwarranted) raves about Nationals food, they were deep frying the hot dogs my first trip there (I think because they ran out and had to cook frozen ones fast). FedEx has the best food, but that's not saying much. Stadium food is horrible in this town, it's not just RFK.

Posted by: 20007 | June 29, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I thought Gallardo and Jaime were great. Burch's shot would have made goal of the week in any league -- had the shot been 8 inches lower, of course.

On TV the fans looked and sounded wonderful. Well done, folks.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 29, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. I-270 would agree with Mrs. Insider. So, unless your Mrs has her own blog name, don't take her to RFK on an empty stomach.

(From the sidebar) "I don't understand it; I really don't. These people here are so supportive," Olsen said. "I play my hardest not because I have a great heart. I do it because I love to play soccer."

THAT is why we love you Ben.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 29, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I, too, have made peace with RFK's 'charms' or lack thereof.

I believe the current concessionaire is 'Ovations', and that they are the same company that does Nationals Park. As such, I assume they share staff, and that, on a day like today with a huge crowd at each park, that they are ill equipped to staff both at the correct level.

Despite some inane postings above, occasionally you have to eat at the match. It's too much to ask everyone to go on a liquid diet and safely drive home. I was out of the house for 6 hours for today's match, not 2. I don't think it's too much to ask that food stands be staffed and actually able to present an item from the menu and accept payment for it in a standard manner: credit card. And not miss the game to do so.

But, I already know this too well, no food for me.

Posted by: JkR | June 29, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

RFK is all we have. Great lines to watch the game. Eat before.

Posted by: JSF | June 29, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

anyone have thoughts on the beckham-moreno incident? all i saw was a brief highlight on sportsnite (i missed the game). looked like beckham came in dirty on moreno and moreno was getting him back. i do the same exact thing when people come in like that on me in a game.

i remember a comment a year ago when moreno said something about being able to score PKs (referencing a miss by beckham?)

Posted by: greg | June 29, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice if the new stadium were in an area with alternative sources of food and drink nearby, so people could eat beforehand and not be at the mercy of the stadium concession monopolists. (Tailgating is not an option for everyone.) That would be a more likely scenario at Poplar Point than at other possible sites.

Posted by: tri-village | June 29, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Went to my first Nats game on Friday and had to shop around a smidge to find "what I wanted". RFK is terrible but not every stadium is Safeco Field. Cargo shorts work wonders at RFK.
Great for airplane bottles, flasks, beef jerky, onehitterz, etc. I know most parents are not gonna smuggle in treats for their kids @ RFK, but then again most of the parents complaining won't have any reason to drag the whole family to the United game until next season...
Just kidding! We'll be in the playoffs and you know you gotta take the kids back for that!
Pretty good coverage aside from the boys blah,blah,blahing about the EURO final during the gosh darn MLS game.
I prefer more fan and field noise to the commentary but Donovan sure shut that down with his foul mouth.
I kinda heard Gallardo was "like" that while watching with an Argentine a while back...I know Landon was hacking him up but...
Whatever Loved it all.
Rock on United!
Rock On Olsen!

Posted by: Dadryan | June 29, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Just watched the game again. Great game by everyone. I like Gallardo even more for making Donovan stick a tampon up his nose on national television. Ha ha!

What I found most interesting was how bad of a game Landon Donovan had all around. He typically lights up RFK and United. While some of the credit goes to Peralta and McTavish for marking him out of the game, I think David Beckham should also get a blamed for Donovan's performance. It wasn't that Beckham physically caused Donovan to have a bad game, but it was Beckham who drew the insults from the Barra and Eagles usually reserved for the P*ssy of the Year who gets motivated by them.

Anyway. It was great seeing Benny on the field. Let's hope his playing time picks up. I hope Quaranta's not too hurt. Thankfully we've got several less significant games coming that he can rest for.

Oh, and I loved the Euro coverage's comments about United "schooling" LA. Ha!

Posted by: TCompton | June 29, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Interesting comments about the concessions.

Posted by: Grahm Kerr | June 29, 2008 9:36 PM
==========================================

Are we to understand that the Galloping Gourmet frequents Estadio RFK? If that is the case, then the concessionaires will indeed be held to a high standard.

Posted by: tri-village | June 29, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah the schooling comment!
That made up for them going on and on about Ballack's fitness in the first half of the DC game!

Posted by: Dadryan | June 29, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Never mind the food, I think a lot of people, on a scorching day, would just like to buy a bottle of water. And even something as simple as that is a pain in the ass at RFK.

Posted by: Sandwich Man | June 29, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

The most important thing about today's game was the passion. Beating drums and chants from the start (as always), a stadium of fans that create an incredible spirit, and a team that both fuels and feeds off of that same spirit. The heart and soul of the team made an appearance, we stifled an offensively dangerous team, and made the game beautiful today.

Posted by: III | June 29, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Back in the early days of United (the Wings Down Eagle) . . . you could bring water and food to the games .. . . so no one really cared about concessions.

I'm sorry Wife of Insider had bad time, but geez . . . for 90 minutes it's about the match.

Posted by: delantero | June 29, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I love RFK, but it was at its worst today. The concessions were their usual awful, understaffed, overpriced level, and I didn't even manage to get a bottle of water until after the game...and had to try 3 closed concession windows before anyone would take my $4 and give me one. To make things worse, the "food" at the Euro viewing "party" was exactly the same overpriced, underwarmed junk (hot dogs, chicken tenders, popcorn and pretzels), and the water was $4 there, too.

And the restrooms? A ridiculous mess. Worst I have EVER seen them. And they didn't get cleaned during the Euro viewing. I have spent a lot of time at soccer and other venues w porta-potties and "jungle johns"...they would have been better than the disaster I encountered today.

TP and water are basics, not luxuries.

Posted by: LD | June 29, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I think Mrs Insider should get quote of the day.

Posted by: Galaxy Fan | June 30, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't believe the lines at the ATM's, let alone the concessions. Almost felt sorry for those folks. Probably missed half the game having to stand in two lines.

Posted by: JMR | June 30, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan,

You are right on...we "family pack" it with three boys 8, 5, and 2...without the odd contraband baggie of vanilla wafers we would be screwed! Cocaine mules have nothing on my French Resistance-style diaper bag.

The only upside to the new/current concessionaire? They let you have the bottle caps on drinks purchased. Best investment: $4 for an Aqua Fina, then infinite refills at the water fountains. Of course now that I said that, Fenty is probably down at RFK with a plumber's wrench...

Posted by: Erick | June 30, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jess | June 30, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Martinez got a well deserved 8 for marking Beckham completely out of the game, even after the shot to the junk. Beckham was a sport about that and gave credit where credit was due, but really, Martinez has been the gem of the DC class of 2008. play him anywhere on the back line. Boy deserves a raise. No knock to Gallardo who gets more in sync every game, but Martinez is the best back in MLS right now. Hands down. If he were 24, we'd lose him to Europe next year.

Posted by: DCAustinite | June 30, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

""throwing a blatant elbow with the intention to injure the best US soccer player""

A) Donovan is not the best US soccer player.
B) Donovan was hacking the crap out of Gallardo and deserved to get whacked.

Posted by: delantero | June 30, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

A few thoughts after watching the game on TV:
- Thoroughly undressing the pretty boys of MLS on National TV was really sweet. Try as they might, by the end of the game, JP and Harkes couldn't find ANYTHING good to say about the Gals.
- The supporters groups put on a display the likes of which I have NEVER seen. Props to BB and SE for bringing it long and loud, all game long. You showed everyone in MLS what a real game atmosphere is, and not a crepe paper streamer to be seen.
- Martinez displayed amazing energy out there today; especially after doing his best Patrick Thoresen impression at the start of the game.
- Our back line pwns their back line. Xavier was just pathetic - slow and disinterested. Namoff was solid as usual, and Peralta had a quiet game, which is probably a good thing for a central defender.
- Donovan, for all his skill, is a nasty, vulgar little punk. To pitch a hissy fit like that after starting the whole sequence with his forearm shiver to the back of Gallardo's head was pure class.
- Fred played better in the second half than the first. Is it perhaps because HE BELONGS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE FIELD?
- Replays showed Burch's rocket was actually starting to dip and then inexplicably sailed before nailing the crossbar. Not sure what happened, but it was a wickedly struck ball, and Near-Goal of the Week.
- But for Cronin, the scoresheet for the game looks like the USMNT vs. Barbados.
- Nice to see a SuperLiga commercial during the game, but the schedule for that tournament is just grueling, especially with the back to back Dynamo games.
- The best part of the day was seeing Ben Olsen step foot back on the pitch.
- There are a lot of nervous teams in the Eastern Conference now.

Posted by: JB | June 30, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Like the idea about filling a water bottle, only trouble is every one of the three water fountains I tried was off/ not working. Coincidence? How can you justify that on a 95 degree day, SEC???

Posted by: voodoodiver | June 30, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Awesome game, great atmosphere. Seeing Ben out there again and the support for him from the fans was awesome.

The only DC player I wish would play better is Gallardo. I don't think he deserved a 7. He gave the ball away too much, and missed too many opportunities he should have finished. He's not yet contributing to the level that we need the #10 to contribute in order to win big tournaments...

Posted by: Sean G | June 30, 2008 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Don't complain about RFK too much - it will only hasten the flight to Greenbelt - which could be nice - but terribly inconvenient.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 30, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

I posted this in the other thread, but wanted to also bring it to light here. There was a sequence of plays fairly early on in the 1st half where Martinez tracked Beckham back to his own penalty box. Martinez is the best pickup we had this off season and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a call up to Columbia. He's rounding into incredible form. Credit also to Soehn for assigning Martinez to Beckham.

Posted by: strago | June 30, 2008 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for remembering. I thought my Q-rating had falling off the face of the earth.

For all the fans of my show, sports arenas are not fine restaurants. I go to RFK to watch soccer. I go to a restaurant to eat.

Did I spell my first name correctly?

Posted by: Grahm Kerr | June 30, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

its funny everyone is complaining about concessions - does anyone recall 3 years ago - how bad it was - less food - less service all for the same money? The group DCU has in there now is doing a great job - although I don't think they were really prepared for the large crowd.

Gamewise - wow - DCU just knocked off the "best" team in mls. Cupcake Donovan was a non-factor. Beckham still has amazing crosses but completely checkout of the game in the second half.

Posted by: bobf | June 30, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, and am not offering any defense for the concessions or facilities at RFK, but we just dismantled the "sexy football" playing, top-of the Western Conference, "superclub" Landycakes and Spice-Boy show on national TV, and half the comments on here are whining about the food!?!?!

I know, I know . . . we are soccer fans: complaining is in or nature.

Posted by: Greenbelt United | June 30, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

"So, this is the first time I read this blog and I've determined two things. RFK is a hellhole and DC fans like to give props to a player for throwing a blatant elbow with the intention to injure the best US soccer player."

A hellhole? Well...yes, but its OUR hellhole. And, yes, we do give Gallardo props for that. Your point?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I know, I know . . . we are soccer fans: complaining is in or nature.

Posted by: Greenbelt United | June 30, 2008 8:22 AM
------------------------------------------
I concur. That was a hell of a game, and that's what we should be talking about. My key observation:

Gonzalo Martinez gets man of the year honors in my heart after taking a searing Beckham shot-on-goal directly in the groin then manning up and shutting Our David down for 90 minutes on a 110-degree pitch. I don't know how he wasn't throwing up all over the sideline, let alone how he was up and at full speed after about 2 minutes and a cold water bath.

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | June 30, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I an with all the negative comments about the concessions, or lack there of. It is nuts, especially the 730 pm week night games when I would like not to have to wait until 10pm to eat. One thing I have found is on the level where the team store is there is a stand that sells carne asada and pupusas. The folks who run it wear regular uniforms but are pleasant and quick, unlike the rest.

Posted by: pigman sweet | June 30, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

i missed the whole halftime drum circle and about 15 minutes of the second half just waiting in line for a bottle of water. :( It was either that or heat exhaustion...

Posted by: JB | June 30, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

What a game. What a game!!

To rip apart the Gals on that stage, have Benny come back, have the BEST supporters' groups in the league stand up and bring it for 90+...it was an awesome experience. My eyes were welling with pride and joy. I love this team and I love it's fans.

Thank you DC.

Thank you BB, SE, LN and everyone in attendance who rocked the house and showed the world who we are.

Welcome back Benny.

This is DC United!!

VAMOS UNITED!

Posted by: Kosh | June 30, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

1. The ATM's are a disgrace. It takes at least twice as long at RFK to get $ when compared to a normal ATM.

2. Forget the food...what about the beer?? A bunch of smaller stands with good beer were closed or ran out of beer yesterday? Now THAT'S a total disgrace.

3. Metro. How lovely it was. They unloaded my train at Fed Triangle because of overcrowding and a broken door. Gee, did anyone think that running trains 15 minutes apart when DC United AND the Gnats were playing was not such a good idea? Once again, a total disgrace.

4. The field was rubbish. Not as bad as HDC, but pretty poor.

Posted by: Hoost | June 30, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

For the record, Gallardo hit Donovan with the back of his hand, not his elbow. No matter how much LA-homer Allen Hopkins wanted it to be an elbow and a red card that's not what happened as was clear from the replay. Donovan was mugging Gallardo from behind and kicked him pretty hard on the right leg as well. If the referee isn't going to bother protecting the players they have to protect themselves.

That said, Gallardo needs be a lot smarter about his temper. He's already got one red card from retaliating. We don't have enough depth for him to keep getting into trouble.

I loved Martinez chipping the ball over Beckham's head with a perfect pass to Emilio late in the game. He has been my new favorite player this season for sure.

Did ABC tell JP that every other word out of his mouth needed to be "Beckham" or does he just do that on his own? The level of worshipfulness is just nauseating. Especially in a match where he basically did nothing.

Posted by: Glenn | June 30, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Complain all you want about the food. I think Kevin Payne would be smiling if all the fans can complain about is the food. Unless they re-sign Franco Niell to handle the food, that ought to be easily solved. Great game!

Goff, is that a sentimental 5 for Ben Olsen?

Posted by: Bart | June 30, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Remember the stadium for its winning history and tradition. would you rather a the best chicken tender in the world or a team that wins championships?

Posted by: food and liquor | June 30, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jess | June 30, 2008 12:38 AM

First of all anatomy classes...take one. That wasn't an elbow it was his wrist or forearm that caught landy-cakes.

Secondly he wasn't trying to injure him, he was trying to get that jack@ss off of his back and hacking on him from behind.

Don't tell me you'd just play with your head down while someone was giving you a forearm to the back of the head and scratching you with their long dainty fingernails and not swing your arm back to get them off of you.

In other words, what I'm saying, Jess, is you're full of it.

Posted by: Matthai | June 30, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | June 30, 2008 8:30 AM

Well, the dude's from Colombia where playing in the hot sun is something you have to be able to do down there. This was probably just a reminder of playing games in Cali or Bogota.

Posted by: Matthai | June 30, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

you think you guys have problems? My seats didn't exist. They were somewhere right above the moon bounce. Luckily everyone in 217 was in a good humor. But how do you sell seats to a lot of people that haven't existed in three years? But as someone said, RFK maybe be a hellhole, but it's OUR hellhole, does any MLS team want to play us there right now?

Now the game: a great showing by the lads. The gals' keeper deserves a raise, he's the reason that wasn't a complete humiliation for the pretty ones. Wells is doing what he needs to now, he may not have a cleansheet, but that is four straight one goal games, right? We aren't built for cleansheets, we are built to win 4-1

Posted by: northzax | June 30, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Would you find people who are smart enough to reference Graham Kerr. These days he is a supporter of the eating local scene. In fact, he did the forward for my current favorite cookbook "Simply in Season". Check it out.

Posted by: Only on Insider | June 30, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I guess losing 4-1 and having your team give up on national tv causes LA fans to forget simple anatomy.

Posted by: Bart | June 30, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Did I spell my first name correctly?

Posted by: Grahm Kerr | June 30, 2008 7:52 AM
==========================================

No, but nobody's perfect.

Posted by: tri-village | June 30, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

About food:

With a little planning there is no reason for any game (including a weeknight game where you are coming from work in Fairfax) that you can't be enjoying a delicious wrap from Whole Foods or a deli sandwich from Potbelly right before the game that should take care of the hunger pangs for the two hours (unless you have a serious metabolism or some eating disorder).

Its not like the games just suddenly appear on the schedule, we know about them all well in advance. There is no excuse not to be able to eat something before hand and then smuggle in a protein bar or something in case you need a little pick me up during the second half.

Especially for a Sunday game that everyone knows is going to be at 12:00 for months in advance.

I think people who spend as much money for a crap hot dog, fries, pretzel and coke as they would for an awesome steak at a place like Rays the Steaks need their head examined.

Posted by: Matthai | June 30, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

The worst part of all of the complaining about concessions, ATMs, etc is that this isn't anything new. At the match against San Jose I went to 4 different ATMs, 2 of which were out of order, 1 had a line a mile long and the other would only dispense cash after you attempted to use it twice. Then had to stand in line for another 15 minutes just to get a bottled water. I was much happier with the PNC ATMs that were in residence when the Nats were around.

I watched the match on replay (was on a plane back to DC during match time) and man, it looked great all the way around. What viewers saw on TV was a complete soccer atmosphere and one of the best played games by United in some time. Our back line has improved considerably since the start of the season, and now that our attack is in form, I like our chances for a couple pieces of hardware.

Posted by: Beltwayrob | June 30, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

How pervasive is the Beckham-love that even the official MLS website calls it "an elbow to Landon Donovan's nose"?

Posted by: Bart | June 30, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

@Matthai, you're point is valid, but 2 considerations that should be, um, considered? :)

- The Dynamo rain out was an unusual situation traffic and weather wise and put my traveling party 90 mins behind schedule. No time to stop anywhere. Buying food a disaster at the stadium. I NEVER plan on eating there, I've learned, but it happens.

- Yesterdays match brought potential customers and life long supporters. They have not been hardened into hard core supporters yet. You want them to be able to grab a bite and enjoy themselves if that's what they want to do. It really isn't asking too much.

Hopefully some DCSEC / Ovations folks read this blog and it dawns on them what low regard the DCU supporter has for their money generating enterprise.

Posted by: JkR | June 30, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Totally agree with Mrs. Insider. The place is atrocious - I almost did not want to take my wife yesterday, just because I knew she would have to use the restrooms. Pardon my language, but the city are f&cking our club royally.

Posted by: Kev | June 30, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

The concessions may suck, but Toni Sandys deserves another round of Kudos for her photo journal of the game. I hope the Post realizes just how awesome her work is an how much its appreciated by many of the fans and readers.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | June 29, 2008 11:42 PM

You can bring in one bottle of water per person at United matches. No food or any other kind of drinks. Interestingly, you can bring in food (up to a certain amount) to Nats Park.

I suppose teams are more likely to compromise when they are getting a better deal in the overall revenue deal. United do not have a good arrangement with the Sports Commission/city.

Posted by: Kev | June 30, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

NOt much to add about the way United played, though so much credit for Burch-Emilio combo. Until that point, LA was dominating the game, but the go-ahead goal changed everything.

As for the main topic here -- concessions: I know much money was lost because there was little food to be had -- and what there was was on the lower levels. I continue to be appalled by the RFK rules barring not only entry with food, but also water. Frankly, both ought to be allowed. Water, especially, in this heat. It's not as if the fans would be competing with non-existent concessions. Rules are constantly shifting, and I've noticed the same at Nationals Park, where it seemed anything was OK at first, but now there are tougher limits. There was a time at RFK when water was fine, then anything so long as it was in a sealed comercial plastic bottle. Now, we're at nothing. If anyone could offer up a reason why the rules have changed, I'd love to know.

Posted by: FIsch Fry | June 30, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Wells 7; Namoff 7, Peralta 6, McTavish 7, Martinez 8; Quaranta 6, Simms 7, Gallardo 7, Fred 6; Moreno 7, Emilio 8. Subs: Burch 7, Dyachenko 6, Olsen 5. BARRA BRAVA 10+

That was one of the greatests display of support i have ever seen... I didnt go to the game but i watched it on tv at wes awasome
props to Barra Brava for this and thanks for making game day a great atmosphere for all DCU fans.

Posted by: PJ Hemlin | June 30, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I have to say that I was amused (and not at all surprised) by Mrs. Insider's observations about the overall quality of conditions at RFK. For my part, I bought a couple pairs of rugged cargo shorts at the Rockville Ranger Surplus store that I wear to games in warm weather -- otherwise I wear jeans, old sneakers or old Teva sandals, and some kind of Screaming Eagles/D.C. United paraphernalia on top. Everything but the footwear goes into the dirty clothes bin immediately after returning home from RFK.

The concession stands at RFK are simply unworthy of patronage -- ripoff prices for mediocre food. A better idea would be to sneak such snacks as may be appropriate for kids into the stadium. An even better idea would be to join the Screaming Eagles for the pregame tailgate. SE is very family friendly and children are usually present at tailgate parties.

Posted by: Stevenho | June 30, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"Cocaine mules have nothing on my French Resistance-style diaper bag."
Erick you get my vote for quote of the week on Soccer Insider!

I would wear that t-shirt to my toddler's next playdate...phych.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 30, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I can understand complaining about the concessions (although I always tailgate and enter the stadium with nothing but a craving for one or two more beers). But I don't understand anyone hating on RFK. It's a beautiful place. I've been going to events there for over 30 years. I'll miss it when (if?) United moves.

Posted by: Terp | June 30, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I brought a full Subway meal and water bottle into Nationals stadium this weekend. I heard the same rules applied at RFK, but didn't believe it. I tried to bring a flavored water in and depending on who I went to I had a couple problems.

Posted by: sitruc | June 30, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Lets all hope and pray that now the game was broadcast around the world that everyone saw that LanDo is just a wash up spoiled crybaby that had a few garbage goals. I mean how bad is Donavon when he goes one-on-one and cant even beat wells. Guess we have to believe the media and think that every other leauge in the world and all the top athletes are playing in perfect weather(oops guess they missed the Euro08. At least United showed there stuff to the world and infront of the fans. WELCOME BACK BENNY

Posted by: sec 131 | June 30, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

"By the way, anyone know what the banner the barra tried to raise at the end said?"

It was Ben Olsen lion from our pregame display except we already took it apart so it came out crooked when we tried to redo it for the end :p

Posted by: Srdan, La Barra | June 30, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

We have water and food up here in beautiful Maryland. You all are welcome any time!

Posted by: Mayor of Greenbelt | June 30, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I can really only afford my ticket, so food is out of the question. Concessions have never been a big deal for me.

And yes, RFK is dirty and run down and a dump. But its OUR dump. For those of us from DC (and many of us are also fans of a certain american football team), RFK will always be a special place with so many fond memories. I guess we look past all the problems and cherish it, cause it wont be around for much longer.

Posted by: the cheat | June 30, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Great game from DC. Dont care to much about the consessions, easy to watch the game without food. I was more concerned with the condition of the field. No one has really commented on that. The field looked awful. I have seen HS fields that are in better shape than RFK was yesterday. Wats the deal? No water? Is the baseball diamond coming through? Just curious.

Posted by: skinsman | June 30, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Good article by Steve Yanda, but I'd guess he'll get an earful from DCU's front office for referring to the team as "the United."

Goff, don't you proofread your minion's work?

:-)

Posted by: Beaker | June 30, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Quick statement about RFK:

RFK is my favorite stadium in the world. I know it's not the best. It's dirty, it's old, and you can't really get anything reliably unless you catch the beer man on his way out of the Barra (assuming he has any beer left). I don't care. To paraphrase Chazz Michael Michaels, I couldn't love a human baby more than I love RFK.

On the game:

The first 10 minutes were all United, but LA took control after that. When in the stands, I thought the game had hit a lull, but re-watching the game at home really hit home. They were the better team from about the 10th minute until we scored. The combination of them having spent most of their energy (surely a tactic Gullit came with from the start: with the early start, travel, and heat, the odds were really stacked against LA doing any scoring in the 2nd half) and us getting a goal against the run of play really killed the Galaxy off. The 2nd half could have seen us score 7 or 8 goals.

I think Martinez is getting proper credit for cancelling out Beckham, but that a lot of people are missing out Fred's contribution. His play on offense was hit or miss (he really needs to work on his finishing of 1v1s with the keeper...maybe we should show him some MLS shootouts from back in the day), but his constant work on both sides of the ball made Beckham's day very tough. It was nice to see Soehn basically bearhugging him when he subbed off.

Gallardo, for me, put himself in a situation where he could have been sent off. It would have been a bit harsh (looked like he was somewhere between going for a backhand to Donovan's face and just putting his arm up), but we've all seen people sent off for less. However, the fact that Donovan was seen on camera swearing at Marrufo and the 4th official really makes one lose much sympathy for him (not to mention the fact that, had Marrufo done his job, Donovan would have been called for a foul moments before due to his repeated kicks to Gallardo's leg). Several people also caught Donovan lashing out with an elbow at McTavish off the ball in the 2nd half, but I hear nothing about that.

As enjoyable as it was to beat the pants off of MLS's crown CZ, this wasn't a flawless performance. Gallardo's passing was hit or miss (good to see him acknowledge that he can be better), and LA couldn't stop my indoor team from scoring a couple goals. This United team is capable of more, and hopefully they keep building towards that.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 30, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I hope it's safe to summarize RFK and it's concessions as follows:

Those fans that go frequently have made their peace, nay, actually found the charm in RFK.

These folks, by the same token, have such a low opinion of the concessions that they wouldn't dream of engaging the food vendors in an economic exchange.

In fact, the notion that anyone might engage said vendors is worthy of snark and condescension toward said unenlightened.

Counsel rests.

Posted by: JkR | June 30, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

where is the leadership of the fan clubs.

chanting "f-you beckham" is a disgrace and shows that the great fan clubs come across as inconsiderate to the families and fans who don't like the language.

Posted by: Romario | June 30, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

agree w/Romario

fans did a fantastic job, looked and sounded great on TV

no need to use profanity to support our team

Posted by: fc | June 30, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

The Barra and Eagles were simply responding to Beckham's "Up Yours" gesture.

A quick, dirty, vulgar chant is much easier to sustain than something witty and in the moment, like the "Claudio Reyna has a tampon in his nose" from last year.

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 1, 2008 12:55 AM | Report abuse