Doe? Doh!

D.C. United reserve forward Francis Doe has been issued a new Liberian passport but still needs a visa to return to the United States next week, DCU GM Dave Kasper said.

What's going on, you ask?

Apparently, the Liberian federation misplaced Doe's passport while the national team was competing in African World Cup qualifiers this month. Without documentation, Doe would not be able to return to Washington as scheduled next Monday. Kasper was told that authorities have replaced Doe's passport but are still trying to arrange a visa stamp.

Will he make it back on time?

"I don't know," Kasper said. "We hope to find out more tomorrow. They said they are working on it."

United's only game next week is not until Sun., June 29 against Los Angeles, but "It would be nice to have him back soon and rejoin the team."

Meantime, Monaco goalkeeper Manuel Villaurio, 21, will complete his trial with DCU tomorrow and return home. The club will then decide whether to offer him a contract.

By Steve Goff  |  June 19, 2008; 2:09 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Barbados, Bakary, Books and Back-to-Back
Next: Matchday Europe

Comments

wow, I am thinking Doe may not be so intrigued by an offer to return for another qualifier, huh?

Posted by: northzax | June 19, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Does Villaurio have two hands and a brain???? If so, he's better than what we've got!! SIGN HIM.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

This bodes well for me.

Posted by: O'Neil | June 19, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

What a trip. People died at a match he was at and then he lost his stuff?
I know it must be some strange circumstance but dang dude how do you misplace the most important things you are traveling with?
I think there are two types of people in life.
People who lose their keys, and people who don't .

Posted by: Dadryan | June 19, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I am an idiot though, I didn't realize Doe didn't lose his stuff it was Liberia.
Lame.
Still mean what I wrote about the keys though.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 19, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Last I had heard Liberia's coach had banned Doe after he missed the flight to Algeria (Doe and another player with him said it was due to car trouble). I guess the coach changed his mind, but sounds like Doe can't catch a break!

Posted by: Ricky B | June 19, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenk-Doe.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | June 19, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Doe joins Chino Alegria in United's Visa Hall of Fame

Posted by: Sam | June 20, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Chino!

I think about former DCU players occasionally like Chino #13 and I wonder what became of him. His Visa problems in Peru and seemingly nonchallant attitude about it seemed to doom him with DC United.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | June 20, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Dyachenko once had truly distinctive problems with border crossings, but I guess that business has long since been resolved one way or another.

Posted by: tri-village | June 20, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse