Euro Drama

Now that we're down to four teams.......

THE SCHEDULE
Wednesday: Germany-Turkey, 2:30 (ESPN)
Thursday: Russia-Spain, 2:30 (ESPN2)
Sunday: championship, 2:30 (ABC)

By Steve Goff  |  June 23, 2008; 11:59 AM ET
Categories:  European Championship
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video From Salvadoran Comeback
Next: Ad-vantage Beckham

Comments

My heart says Spain. My head says Germany.

Who were those players wearing orange on Saturday? They sure looked Dutch, but they didn't play anything like the Dutch team we saw in the group stage. Full credit to Russia for a deserved victory, but Holland was capable of so much more.

Posted by: SSMD | June 23, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Sticking with Germany over Spain, but I'd love to see Spain come through

Posted by: Gooner | June 23, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

russia looks so great going forward! i think they can win it if their defense is able to be similarly effective as the offense.

Posted by: dfunkt | June 23, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Turkey has absolutely no chance.

Posted by: RK | June 23, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Holland last time...what the heck do I know? I think Germany will be solid enough in the attack and in the back to win the whole shebang.

Posted by: Beaker | June 23, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Turkey will gobble up the Germans!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 23, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

exactly, I'd prefer to see Spain win so everyone would shut up about them being "chokers". Aragones needs to be smarter about his selections though. That dude he put in for Torres was abysmal. And I think Cesc needs to play more. But the Germans may be too big for them. I don't imagine the Germans will have too much trouble with Turkey. Spain v Russia, the Rematch, should be very interesting. Was game 1 a lucky fluke or is Spain that much better than Russia?

Posted by: Glenn | June 23, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Spain got the monkey off their backs by overcoming Italy. Turkey's injuries and suspensions give them almost no chance. Germany seems to be rolling, Russia is gaining steam too.

I put odds with Germany, my heart is with Spain, darkhorse is Russia and why should anyone ever count out Turkey (although their luck may be up).

Most entertaining international tournament that I can remember.

Posted by: Malaga CF fan | June 23, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I find it funny to see Turkey in the Semi-final. I pegged them as a team that wouldn't do much of anything in the group phase.

There have only been 4 matches where the team that scored first did not win - Turkey was on the other side of that figure 3 of the 4 times!! Is there anyway they can knock off Germany with so few personnel available?

Russia vs Spain will be a very different match this time around.

I still see a Spain - Germany final with the Spanish finally achieving some respect.

Heck a Turkey - Russia final would also be something to witness!

Posted by: Redd | June 23, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't care as long as we don't see scoreless draws leading to PK's.

The group stage had some thrillers. Let's hope they play all out . . .

particularly when ESPN Sportscenter anchors are referencing "Zero, Zero? this is like a soccer game!"

Posted by: delantero | June 23, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Will Turkey even have enough players to have 3 subs?

Posted by: RK | June 23, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'll root for Spain I guess, I think Russia still has a chance though with Arashavin. I can see Torres becoming the Hero if he can shake loose some defenders. Who knows?

Posted by: Dadryan | June 23, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Little off topic, but any word on Doe?

Posted by: Dadryan | June 23, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Little off topic, but any word on Doe?

Posted by: Dadryan | June 23, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Turkey will treat the Germans like they did Billy Hayes.

Posted by: Section 130 | June 23, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I started with Spain, so I'm not going to change my pick now. However, Podolsky has really had one heckuva coming-out party, and Hiddink has turned Russia into a powerhouse...I wouldn't be surprised to see Germany or Russia, win, but I have to be consistent.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 23, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Turkey has absolutely no chance.

Posted by: RK | June 23, 2008 12:32 PM
---------------------------------------

I said the same thing when I switched from the Czech/Turkey match to the Portugal/Swiss match.

I think I said the same thing when Croatia scored their late goal.

As much as I think Germany will win this one, the Turks have been proving me wrong again and again. The odds are stacked against them though.

Posted by: TCompton | June 23, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Germany over Russia in the final.

Posted by: Oliver | June 23, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I will admit that on paper the Turkey squad has no way to beat the Germans. However after watching them pull something out of nothing 3 times, I honestly am starting to believe anything is possible.

Posted by: Wilhelm | June 23, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll be rooting for Turkey ... even if they have little chance. I'm sure they'd gladly take a scoreless draw going to PKs right now.

Kazim Kazim better show up to help keep the pressure off the Turkish D.

Posted by: United fan in TN | June 23, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd say the same thing about the Turks if they weren't going to be missing Tuncay who has really been their motor and so many others due to suspension and injury. I just don't see any possibility for them.

Posted by: Glenn | June 23, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Germany, extra day of rest, plus no OT.

Posted by: Lloyd Heilbrunn | June 23, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I thought Holland was magical through the first round and watching Russia pick them apart made me a believer. The only other team on that list that could awaken and take it is Germany. Russia looks like the real deal and if they continue to attack like they did against Holland they will win every time.

Posted by: Felix | June 23, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

SPAIN!! I hope anyway..

Russia took advantage of Holland sleeping on that first goal. The defender was ball watching...But Russia did outplay them and played pretty well.

Posted by: bobf | June 23, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Going for Spain.

Too bad Turkey has tons of injuries and suspensions, I think Germany takes that semi- w/ no problem.

Posted by: Vic | June 23, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I always enjoy rooting for Espana, but I think you could argue that Russia could have beaten either Spain or Italy yesterday. I picked Germany in the beginning so I'll go with Germany over Russia as my prediction.

Posted by: DCUMD | June 23, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I have a soft spot for underdogs, so my heart wants Turkey to somehow beat Germany, and then give Spain a run for its money in the final.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 23, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice if someone like Russia won it. They have played some very good soccer with a great attacking style and have never stopped that even as the games became more and more important.

Unfortunately, everyone knows that the Germans are going to win this. They limp through the group stages and then start playing.

Posted by: Jared | June 23, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I said Russia at the beginning. I said Russia before the quarters. I say Russia now.

Posted by: B.A. | June 23, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

By dispatching Italy, I think Spain finally believes in themselves that they can beat the big boys ... Spain 2 - Deutschland 1.

Posted by: Hmmm | June 23, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

My heart says ESPANA. But they cause me psychological trauma every two years. But this is the year of Hope. However, I picked the Dutch to go all the way, so what do I know.

Posted by: gallegoscot | June 23, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm sticking with Spain darn it.(toned down for the kiddies)

VIVA ESPANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Mike B | June 24, 2008 5:17 AM | Report abuse

I simulated the whole tournament on FIFA 08 before it started and it came out Spain beating Germany in the final. At the time I thought that was absurd. Guess not.

Posted by: Sean G | June 25, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Turkey definaetly deserved to win, Germans were just lucky. Apart from injuries Turkey was the victims of ref`s arguable yellows.
It would`ve been a fantastic final if Turkey V Spain.Turks have absolutely became the main story of this tournament.But note this down, watch Turkey in world cup 2010.This sunday Germans will be crashed, Spain has a thirst.

Posted by: hiall | June 26, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse