Injuries and Open Cup

Make no mistake, D.C. United is taking the U.S. Open Cup very seriously this year. A 2009-10 CONCACAF Champions League berth is at stake and the embarrassment at Harrisburg last summer has not sat well with the club. Plus, DCU hasn't won the thing since 1996.

But after playing in difficult conditions Sunday and needing to rest some ailing players, United will not be at full strength for tomorrow night's match against Rochester at Maryland SoccerPlex.

Jaime Moreno told me he has already ruled himself out because of an abdominal strain and Santino Quaranta is out 2-3 weeks with the hamstring strain that sidelined him in the first half against the Galaxy. Ben Olsen, who made his season debut yesterday but still has a ways to go in his recovery from an ankle injury, said he is unsure whether he'll be on the game-day roster. Domenic Mediate (concussion) practiced and might be able to play.

Several regulars took it easy at training today in preparation for tomorrow.

Still not sure who will start in goal, but judging by his fine performance Sunday, I am guessing the choice will be Zach Wells. Meantime, two sources tell me that DCU has downgraded Jose Carvallo's contract to a month-to-month deal, which, from what I understand, means the club has the flexibility to waive him at any point after tomorrow's MLS contract deadline without taking a significant salary cap hit. Nothing will happen unless, or until, United lines up a replacement.

Some Open Cup info: Tickets are $25 and available at the gate, the parking fee is included in the price of the ticket, and WFED (1050 AM) and WACA (1540 AM) will provide live radio coverage.

A bit of news: United has signed right-side midfielder Craig Thompson to a developmental contract after acquiring him from Houston for a fourth-round supplemental draft pick. Thompson has been playing in DCU reserve games.

I will have much more on DCU's Open Cup match in Tuesday's print edition (available online at washingtonpost.com late tonight).

Finally, you can catch me on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" at 5 p.m. today.

By Steve Goff  |  June 30, 2008; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Good, The Bad, The Coyote Ugly
Next: Evolving Galaxy

Comments

You're the man Goff! Keep up the most excellent work.

Posted by: strago | June 30, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Podium!
I second that Mr. Goff, thank you for the info.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 30, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone's guess what time I'd have to leave DC to get to the Soccer Plex by game time?

Plus, with my car a/c out, I'm just guessing it'd be easier to shove bamboo in my fingernails . . .

Posted by: the horror | June 30, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I guess we may see any combination of Doe, Dyachenko, and/or Kirk up top; maybe Stratford and/or Burch in mid-field; and/or Mediate in defense. How's that for stating the obvious in a non-committal way?

Eat before you go to the Soccerplex. Last two times I was there for USOC matches, the lines were worse than @ RFK and there's 1 ATM in the Discovery center.

RE: no a/c in car. The weather will be cool and not humid tomorrow.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 30, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Some Pickie-Pickie from an old copy editor: Last summer's embarrassment was played against a team from Harrisburg, but in Landisville PA, a suburb of Lancaster. To complete the Pennsylvania Dutch theme, the DCU Reserves played like bunch of Amishmen who were really not that familiar with the game.

Posted by: Freddie B | June 30, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Clarification ----
A bit of news: United has signed right-side midfielder Craig Thompson to a developmental contract. He was chosen by Houston in the winter draft (28th overall) and has played in DCU reserve matches.

------------------------------------------
Thompson was selected with the 28th pick in the SUPPLEMENTAL draft not the SUPER draft.

Thompson is from the Colorado School of Mines. Communication may be an issue with his team mates!! ha ha ha ha

Posted by: JSF | June 30, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Did United have to give anything to Houston to be able to sign this Thompson guy? Knowing the arcane rules of MLS, I can't believe they'd just be able to pick him up for free.

Posted by: Kenobi | June 30, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Wells 7; Namoff 7, Peralta 6, McTavish 7, Martinez 8; Quaranta 6, Simms 7, Gallardo 7, Fred 6; Moreno 7, Emilio 8. Subs: Burch 7, Dyachenko 6, Olsen 5.
--------------------------------

Are you kidding what does Jaime have to do to earn at least an 8 in your rating? and you give EL " I am lost on the field" Gallardo a 7, over a Fred who ran his heart out!

AMAZING...SIMPLY AMAZING...WOW...
eyes must of been on Mr. Posh...

Posted by: DCU Fan in Socal | June 30, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

First, please try to stay on topic; there is a separate thread for ratings

Second, don't be obnoxious, amigo. Your opinion is no better than anyone else's.

Third, yes, I find Becks to be dreamy. Got a problem with that? :-p

Posted by: Goff | June 30, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

a question for anyone out there in insider land. I will be away from home for most of the interliga matches and northern new england cable systems won't carry telemundo and the pubs and bars won't pay for a spanish language channel. does anyone know if the matches can be gotten via computer streaming and if so what is the source? I assume that mlslive does not have the contract to carry these matches as they appear to be a creation of mexican tv. can anyone help?

Posted by: rob | June 30, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Any word on how Olsen is moving this morning? I heard him say this morning was the real test, to see how he felt after playing.

Posted by: Sean | June 30, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

AMAZING...SIMPLY AMAZING...WOW...
eyes must of been on Mr. Posh...

Posted by: DCU Fan in Socal | June 30, 2008 2:09 PM

First, please try to stay on topic; there is a separate thread for ratings

Third, yes, I find Becks to be dreamy. Got a problem with that? :-p

Posted by: Goff | June 30, 2008 2:34 PM

-------------------------------------------

Besides, Jaime didn't do much in this game after the first goal. That's 85 minutes. Maybe a good 5 minutes earns a decent rating, but an 8? As For Fred, he did run his heart out, as he did last Sunday...and he did have somewhat better results, producing one assist. Hovere, he also kicked a straightforward breakaway right into the goalie, and just plain missed a number of passes to him...like last week. Fred is just not on his game right now. Of course, Gallardo missed some shots, too, but he contributed more than either Fred or Moreno. He deserved a better rate than Fred, and probably better than Moreno. Of course, there is always room for disagreement. Goff gave Martinez an 8 and he made one of the worst unforced giveaway errors all season -- thankfully, the defense held.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Rob - maybe someone else will remember this - I can't remember if it was telemundo or univison but one of those networks provided a very nice online stream during the Copa America last summer.

Posted by: tmc | June 30, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

thanks tmc

Posted by: rob | June 30, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm excited for tomorrow night - weather is going to be beautiful. Would like to get a look at Stratford, Doe and maybe Cordeiro get a good run.

$25 seems a little steep - but I know that United and the Soccerplex could use the cash, plus that includes parking.

Posted by: Kev | June 30, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd expect Doe up top with Luci; Burch could be in Quaranta's wing spot, with Dyachenko in reserve. If Mediate is up to playing, that might allow Tommy to move him in the midfield or move McTavish up, and sit Burch -- but, I bet Tommy won't want to break up the evolving chemistry in the back line. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cordeiro get a start, even if DC is taking this seriously -- keeping Burch in reserve.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 30, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Fred does deserve a high rating yesterday, but you must consider the impact that Moreno has on the game. I didn't realize it until last year when he was hurt for a while. He goes back for the ball, holds it, distributed it and makes runs off the ball to allow Emilio to ge tall the goals. I believe Moreno did earn his rating yesterday by playing his game. He is simply consistent. He does the clinical things that keep the ball going towards our offensive end. He also does things that allow Emilio to make his runs and not post up like he did at the beginning of the year. Also, he is still dangerous with the ball. As recently as last season, Matt Reis said the forward he is nervous of the most is Moreno. Thats a huge compliment!

Posted by: moreno4prez | June 30, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

...plus that includes parking.

Posted by: Kev | June 30, 2008 2:53 PM
----------------------------------------

It's official. We are just sheep. DC is playing in a place not accessible by mass transportation, and we think it's reasonable for them to mark up the tickets to cover the parking cost? I suppose someone has to pay the lot attendants' wages, but why is it reasonable to expect it to come out of fans pockets, when there's no other way to get there? Parking isn't a privilege, it's a necessity for anyone wanting to attend. I hope, at least, this means they aren't charging a separate parking fee to be collected at the entrance. That has a way of REALLY slowing things up and creating back-ups.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 30, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Rob: Someone should introduce you to this New Hampshire resident who was interviewed by NPR the other day:

Given that the Revs are involved in SuperLiga, maybe people associated with a Revs supporter group might have some ideas.

Posted by: tri-village | June 30, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Santino's out 2-3 weeks? Thank goodness that DC United has a bye week followed by a few weeks of non-league play. The Open Cup match will be tough and SuperLiga's $1M prize is enough to take it seriously, but at least we can get healthy for our rematch(?) with Houston on the 22nd.

Posted by: TCompton | June 30, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Colorado School of Mimes! They used to have some real one-sided matchups against Rock & Roll High School.

What else does anyone know about this Thompson character?

Posted by: garbaggio | June 30, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

You're correct Fisch Fry - I was being way too positive there!

I'll be fine with the price if I pay at the park - I refuse to give Ticketmaster and extra $6.

Posted by: Kev | June 30, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight...

Win five games in the Superliga and win $1m (minus whatever vig the League takes from it, which I have heard is significant)

Win four games in the Open Cup and win $100,000 plus a chance to play in to the Concacaf Champions Cup which could lead to 1 to 5 home games depending on how far they progress.

It seems to me the SL has the bigger (financial) upside. Guaranteed home dates against Mexican clubs at RFK, instead of games against teams from Belize played in Germantown, plus you can still backdoor into the CCC by finishing in the top four of the League.

Posted by: AM | June 30, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like United playing at the Soccer Plex to make Greenbelt look just fine...

Posted by: Dadryan | June 30, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, mime jokes. Great. Graduates from the Colorado School of Mines haven't heard those before.
Finally another Oredigger in the stadium.

Posted by: 136 | June 30, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I hope Tino doesn't get so discouraged by yet another injury that he is tempted to go back to the painkillers. He needs his teammates/coaching staff along with his family to keep him strong.

I was really sorry to see him leave the match as he seemed ready to have a monster game. Jacic shoved him down just as he was drawing his foot back for a crack at goal from inside the box.

Posted by: Hedbal | June 30, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Soccerplex stadium is tiny. You pay $25 to have the assurance you can yell at the referees and they will hear you.

Regarding food, I HIGHLY recommend an Italian restaurant off Clopper/Germantown Rd intersection: Rustic Oven. Their linguini cleopatra is pricey but to die for. Same goes for the tiramisu.

Posted by: juanma | June 30, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Colorado School of Mines? C'mon, you're just digging for a laugh, aren't you? Ore not.

I'm sure Thompson has some good elements to his game -- rock hard tackles, a stone-faced demeanor, and a golden first touch. A real diamond in the rough.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 30, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

All right. That's funny.
Much better than the walking against the wind crap.

Posted by: 136 | June 30, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I like to look at the Open Cup as another chance for the team to meld. Thank goodness they have looked much better recently (for the most part), but we're still only in 9th place on a standings points per game basis (i.e., there are teams below us in points but have played fewer games):

Team            PPG     Games
San Jose 0.86 14

Posted by: Albert Hall | June 30, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

First, please try to stay on topic; there is a separate thread for ratings

Third, yes, I find Becks to be dreamy. Got a problem with that? :-p

Posted by: Goff | June 30, 2008 2:34 PM
--------------------------------
First, this is a DC United Blog Correct?
off topic? no...

Second, I'm obnoxious because "We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features." I posted an opinion.

Third, I am an AMIGO because I reside in Southern California, "Friend" will do just Fine.

Finally, I apologize... I could be rude and crude and call you names but "personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site."
I sincerely enjoy this blog and your journalism.

- by the way why did Moreno rate a 7?

Posted by: DCU Fan in Socal | June 30, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Albert Hall - how did you get the different font for the PPG table? HTML?

Posted by: Courier | June 30, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I assume he used the PRE tag.

Posted by: RK | June 30, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

DCU Fan in SoCal, why don't you check the thread that has the player ratings to comment on them?
Comprende Amigo?

Posted by: I felt like a Gringo | June 30, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

The reason you're paying $25 at the SoccerPlex is because DCU outbid the Rhinos for the game. Rochester is taking home probably $60k-65k from the match. The rest, goes to United.

Posted by: Drew-ROC | June 30, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

$25? Geez...for what? a bleecher seat? lol
man thats crazy and its in Germantown? from DC, thats $25 x 2 (bring a friend or date)= 50 + $4.15 (avg. gallon /gas)+ $10 food= > or = $65 for the DC reserves and the Rochester Rhinos?

hmm? I dont see the point?

US OPEN berth or not..
Ill save the cash for the Chivas vs. DC :cough: our UeFA Cup (one day) :cough: match

=)

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | June 30, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rob | June 30, 2008 2:36 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Rob,
the best source of information on streamed sports events is at:
http://www.myp2p.eu/ For some of the streams you will need an add on program and I found that Sopcast to be the best choice. It was the only way I could watch some of the recent Euro matches while at work.

Posted by: Orange14 | June 30, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

What does the Thompson signing mean for the chances of DC signing Gargan as well?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

When I previewed the final post (yes, using pre tags), I wondered whether that would get more attention than the data/topic!

Posted by: Albert Hall | June 30, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

...we're still only in 9th place on a standings points per game basis...
==========================================

I believe the 9 needs to be stood on its head.

Posted by: tri-village | June 30, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Oops, meant 6th place...

Posted by: Albert Hall | June 30, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

AM:

"...plus you can still backdoor into the CCC by finishing in the top four of the League"

This is incorrect. The 4 US spots in the CONCACAF Champions League go to the following teams:

MLS Cup Champion
Supporters Shield Winner
US Open Cup Champion
MLS Cup Runner-Up

Last year, 2 of these (USOC Champ and MLS Cup 2nd) went to New England. The USSF decided to give the final slot to the team that finished 2nd in the regular season, Chivas USA. Finishing 3rd or 4th in the league does get you into the Superliga and the 3rd round of the Open Cup, but it does NOT qualify you for anything else. The fact that last year's top 4 took the 4 spots was coincidence. If FC Dallas had beaten New England in last year's OC final, they would have gotten into the CCC, not Chivas USA.

For those budget-conscious, I arrived at halftime to the controversial OC loss to Dallas a couple years back (company vehicle broke down in PA, took several hours to get a tow and a ride home), and just walked up. No one was available to sell me a ticket, so I continued on. I watched the 2nd half for free (including the last few minutes about 10 feet from a still in-uniform Kovalenko, who had been sent off thanks in part to Ramon Nunez's diving/writhing in pain when no contact was made). So, long story short, you might be able to get in for free if you can get over the questionable morality of doing so.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 30, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

So, is it too early in this thread to start speculating the U.S. Open Cup starting line-up DCU might use along w/ a list of bench players against the....last place Rochester "Limping" Rhinos?

Posted by: Murr | June 30, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Murr: I believe the speculation started at about 1:10 p.m., so fire away.

Posted by: tri-village | June 30, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

So does this mean that the United match tomorrow will NOT be available on usllive.com? That page is listing the Wizards vs. Railhawks, Dynamo vs. Battery, and Chivas vs. Sounders games as FREE tomorrow. But no mention at all of United vs. Rhinos. That sucks!

Posted by: DCUMD | June 30, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

$25 is too steep for me. Factor in a drive from Springfield to Gaithersburg and the strict no tailgating policy, that leaves me out. I like this team but man, price a game like this down a bit. I paid $20 for my ticket on Sunday.

I'll save my $ for Super Liga. Good luck DCU

Posted by: Sam | June 30, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

OK. OK. We get it. Entertainment budgets are tight and those who attend many matches per season don't want to pay $25 for the Rhinos match. We, who don't attend many RFK matches per season and live near the Plex, can live with it. Besides, on a weeknight match, I can use the argument that my kids shouldn't be out that late, therefore Mrs. I-270 (not a big soccer fan) should stay home with them. So I'll be there, without the yung-uns, who have to go to the bathroom all the time, and without the wife, who will complain about concessions and bathrooms and ask why DC doesn't play the whole season at the Plex.

Looking into the future, I see tomorrow's print article:

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 30, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up on the print article I-270.
I will research on my own in a second but is there a decent route by bicycle from the closest or closest to the safest route metro station to the Soccer Plex?
Crazy question maybe. Never been there. Know a few people who are familiar but it's a little late...
Ahh I just remembered the making it back home in one piece part...
Thanks for the story Goff! It's got me wanting to to ride to Germantown!

Posted by: Dadryan | June 30, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

by the way why did Moreno rate a 7?

-------------

in my opinion, he deserved a 7 out of 10 -- a very nice performance. no other explanation necessary.

Posted by: Goff | July 1, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Random Newbie
Carvallo

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 1, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

You forgot Dyachenko. He will start

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan:
Don't know of a good bike route from Shady Grove metro to the Plex. You could take 355 to Shady Grove Rd to Key West to Great Seneca Pkwy to Middlebrook Rd to Germantown Rd (118). Getting back safely after dark could be challenging as only Great Seneca has a dedicated bike route. The rest of the way U have 2 share the road with people who are texting y-le driving.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 1, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Forgot?

Ha.

I wouldn't pick D-Rod during my Sunday Morning pick-up game.

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 1, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I just want to booooozzze and watch United whip on rhinos.

Posted by: Jack | July 1, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Do you want to find a online friend to talk about sports? I am the right girl you are looking for, you can reach me at a single club called---- ++++ UKinterracialmatch . c o m +++++ ---- there are so many black & white singles there.

Posted by: alice | July 1, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse