Matchday: DCU-Houston

[UPDATE: Because of lightning and heavy rain, tonight's match will not begin until 8 p.m., at the earliest.]

[SECOND UPDATE: Late lineup changes.....Ching out with a tight hamstring, Niell has replaced Stratford on United's active roster.]

Greetings from RFK.

The first massive storm swept through the area this afternoon, another one is on the way -- an appropriate backdrop for an unsettled United club in desperate need of points at home against the rejuvenated two-time defending champions.

A few Bobby Boswell quotes to share, courtesy of the Houston Chronicle:

On the match.....

"I want to make sure we come out on top. I've got something to prove and I think they don't want me to come in there and let my new team walk all over them."

On returning to RFK.....

"It's a great place to play. Crowd's going to be awesome; I'm anxious to see what they have to say for me."

Game-day roster and lineup available at 6:30 p.m.

DCU: Wells; Namoff, McTavish, Peralta, Martinez; Quaranta, Simms, Gallardo, Fred; Moreno, Emilio. Subs: Carvallo, Burch, Mediate, Kirk, Stratford, Niell, Cordeiro, Dyachenko.

As usual, you've come to the right place for pregame, in-game and postgame banter.

By Steve Goff  |  June 4, 2008; 5:58 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jozy and the Nats
Next: 'Banned for Life'

Comments

zzzzzzzz

Freddy is looking rather sharp against Spain. Creating some nice chances.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 4, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Wrong thread

Posted by: Anonymous | June 4, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Niell, what a bust. Can we offload him and get someone who isn't a pint size liability? Or if we offload him are we just a roster spot short?

Posted by: DizzyD | June 4, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Houston distracted by the whitehouse visit tomorrow!

Posted by: td | June 4, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Because of lightning and heavy rain, the match will start no earlier than 8 p.m.

Posted by: Goff | June 4, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

I will be surprised if they manage to get this match in before very late. I got about half a block out of my garage and turned around to come home. Too much heavy rain and lightning. There's a HUGE line of storms out to the west in addition to the glob just outside of Fairfax. This isn't going to be over any time soon.

Posted by: Glenn | June 4, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Update: Things have cleared up, so kickoff will likely occur BEFORE 8 p.m.

Posted by: Goff | June 4, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Ching scratched because of a tight hamstring, Niell on the game-day roster, not Stratford

Posted by: Goff | June 4, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

LET'S DO THIS!!!

Posted by: Kosh | June 4, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

the field is a disaster, wow.

Posted by: stairs | June 4, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Early pressure. I LOVE IT!!

Posted by: Kosh | June 4, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

this is a farce.

kudos to the fans at the game, though.

Posted by: stairs | June 4, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

This game is on track to being postponed.

Posted by: Kosh | June 4, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

goddamnit, if they don't need a canoe, the field is playable...

Posted by: spike_2.0 | June 4, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

What's the 411?

Posted by: sitruc | June 4, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

there's lightning all around RFK right now.

Posted by: dc | June 4, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I guess we don't need anyone getting zapped on the lake, eh. Good thing Neill is out there, without an anchor he might get washed out to sea.

Posted by: spike_2.0 | June 4, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Neill not out there, that is

Posted by: spike_2.0 | June 4, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

They're waiting for the rain to slow, then will allow the field to drain a bit and see if it's playable.

Posted by: Goff | June 4, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Why don't they just let everybody go home and enjoy the Stanley Cup Finals?

Posted by: sitruc | June 4, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I hope we get to finish this game. This might actually be Zach Wells' best chance for a clean sheet.

Is it possible that the tornado will blow Niell back to his home in Oz with the other munchkins?

Posted by: DCUMD | June 4, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Why don't they just let everybody go home and enjoy the Stanley Cup Finals?

Posted by: sitruc | June 4, 2008 8:36 PM

******************************************

Thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: B. Gumble | June 4, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Seems like DC would want to play this game tonight with Houston's banged up roster.

Speaking of Oz, have you all ever played Dark Side of The Moon while watching the Wizard of Oz? Trippy Trippy stuff. I can never remember do you start Dark Side at the 2nd or 3rd lion growl at the beginning?

Posted by: Roger Waters | June 4, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Any updates?

Posted by: The_Whale | June 4, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Well I hope they don't resume the game. I left because the feild was flooded but no announcement of postponing the game.

Posted by: td | June 4, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

==========================================

I'm not sure that DCU's laundry service would see it that way.

Posted by: tri-village | June 4, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

S. Goff- No live updates? This is quintessential blog material.

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | June 4, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

3rd lion roar, but only the b/w version works...supposedly...god I wish they would restart the game

Posted by: Andy In Asheville | June 4, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Comcast is claiming a 9:30 "return to the field"...whatever that means

Posted by: Andy In Asheville | June 4, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

still seeing lightning above Robert's House.
Shame, too b/c the 15 minutes played were entertaining, what with the pratfalls and all.

FFS, get it going or call it off...

Posted by: RFK 315 | June 4, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Any idea how much of the crowd has stayed? If they get this thing going I may head down there to catch the rest.

Posted by: Ben | June 4, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Comcast/Mike Jenkins just said the latest they will/can restart the game is at 11:15 or so.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | June 4, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

direct kick just showing a 'weather delay!' message. what's going on?

Posted by: pat | June 4, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Limarzi on WFED just announced that they are throwing in the (sopping wet) towel and will reschedule.

Posted by: tri-village | June 4, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | June 4, 2008 9:42 PM

*******************************************

Comcast is reporting the same thing.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | June 4, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Perfect. Just as the back edge of the storm passes the Capitol dome.

Posted by: Ben | June 4, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

behindthebadge.com sez:

UPDATE: The game has been postponed. We'll announce a rescheduled date tomorrow. The rescheduled game will be played in its entirety.

Posted by: pat | June 4, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

We got SOAKED. I feel for the guys -- they were having a heck of a time staying upright and it was approaching farce by the time the ref finally halted the game. I've never seen fingers of lightning cross the sky like I did tonight from RFK. Finally left at 8:50, glad it was the right call. Tree limbs are down in Dupont Circle.

Posted by: DupontNorth | June 4, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I would have stopped that rain...

Posted by: Hope Solo | June 4, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

that was CRAZY rain! Just when it seemed at its peak, it rained harder.

So does Robinson sit the next game too?

Posted by: David | June 4, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Crazy night at RFK. The 15 minutes looked like footage for the old "Agony of Defeat" clips on ABC. Gave a whole new meaning to the term "diving".

Just before the game was postponed, the Barra got restless and began making laps around the concourse with drums. A bit like Mad Max meets MLS.

Posted by: LD | June 4, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see Goff's player ratings....

I think the happiest person tonight was the groundskeeper. The players were starting to rip up the turf, especially in front of the Dynamo 18-yd. box. Suspending the game probably saved the pitch.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 4, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

That was CRAZY rain, but I think it had nothing to do with stopping the game. That was because of the lightning. Anyway, as I posted above, the groundskeeping crew has a little work to do, but it would've been far, far worse, if they kept playing.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 4, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

First of all, why does Bobby Boswell think we have things to say for him? It's not like he's important. When Ezra Hendrickson comes back with the Crew, do we have anything for him?

As much as my trip to/from Warrenton was painful, I'm glad the league officials took a conservative approach and called off the match. It hasn't been too long since the crowd was struck by lightning at an RFK concert.

Posted by: Glaucon | June 4, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Great showing by Mexico...

Posted by: sitruc | June 5, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

What's Sven thinking? Mexican defense needs work...

Clinical bit of passing/penetration by Messi to Aguero for the 4th goal.

I"m sure the US will do better...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 5, 2008 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Yes. My heart.

Posted by: Ezra Fan | June 5, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glaucon | June 4, 2008 11:59 PM

Ezra got us an MLS Cup. He's a winner. #23 in your program and #1 in your heart.

Posted by: Ezra's #3 Fan | June 5, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse