Matchday Europe

Whether you are watching at home, online at your desk, in the employees' lounge, or at the local pub because you -- cough, cough -- called in sick all week, this is the place for Euro pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.

Czech Republic-Portugal, noon
Switzerland-Turkey, 2:45
TV: ESPN2.

Enjoy!

By Steve Goff  |  June 11, 2008; 11:10 AM ET
Categories:  European Championship
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Show Us the Money
Next: Midday Update

Comments

Word to the wise. Watch Joao Moutinho for Portugal.

That kid is very good at this game called soccer.

Posted by: bribri | June 11, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Funny thing... I'm having turkey with Swiss for lunch today.

Czech that. It's provolone.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 11, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Funny thing... I'm having turkey with Swiss for lunch today.

Czech that. It's provolone.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 11, 2008 11:56 AM

Time flies when you're having pun, eh?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 11, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a good match so far. Long lunch for the second half essential.

Posted by: Kev | June 11, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I love technology and peer2peer. Watching sports at work was never better.

Posted by: Robert | June 11, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Getting off work at 2:15 is sweeeet.

Posted by: strago | June 11, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Deco's goal was a work of art.

You might say it was Art...

Oh, forget it. That's too easy.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 11, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

can someone direct me on how to stream the games?

Posted by: Tony | June 11, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

can someone direct me on how to stream the games?

Posted by: Tony | June 11, 2008 12:54 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++

I've been using streams 3 & 4 since they don't require downloading a viewer program

Posted by: watching at work | June 11, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

If you have a lot of technical things going your way - you can watch the matches on ESPN360 at work. A Verizon account and Windows XP help.

Posted by: Kev | June 11, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

did espn360 change? maybe it's overloaded, but I can't get in today. It keeps freezing on Verizon login. weak

Posted by: johnk | June 11, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Watching a work: this is awsome. Thanks for the link and the tip on the streams. My IT guy is out today so I can totally can get away with streaming online. shhhhh don't tell anyone.

Posted by: Sec 131 | June 11, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from my long lunch. Portugal never looked nervous and looks poised to go far. CR is one of among many very talented players for Portugal. What I like most is their team chemistry and work rate. Both outstanding.

Posted by: AlexandriaDan | June 11, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Here's a comment on a British blog: "The day before yesterday, Polish-born Miroslav Klose passes for the Polish-born Lukas Podolski to score a wide open goal for Germany against Poland. And today, Turkish-born Eren Derdiyok passes for Turkish-born Hakan Yakin to score a very similar goal against Turkey. If all goes according to pattern, Hakan Yakin will score again and Switzerland will win 2-0 tonight." The comment from the person running the blog: "Andorra just need to pick a few Brazilians and we could have a football revolution on our hands."

Unfortunately, just after that a Turk (who apparently is not of Swiss heritage) knotted the score at 1-1.

Posted by: tri-village | June 11, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm not watching the match. On the Turkey goal, did the Swiss defense have holes in it like... umm.... some kinda dairy product... ummm... someone help me out here...

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 11, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Some news out of Chelsea in the midst of all this:

Posted by: tri-village | June 11, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"An absolute disaster for Switzerland."

Posted by: sitruc | June 11, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Surprisingly great game to watch this afternoon. Missed the first one and the second one made up for some of the less exciting matches so far this week.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 11, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

anyone know around the 600 14th NW area that shows euro games. I plan to take lunch break too.

Posted by: td | June 11, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Some news out of Chelsea in the midst of all this:
Posted by: tri-village | June 11, 2008 4:28 PM
=========
Oh great, now we will see the art work from chelsea. he is more entertaining than the special on.e

Posted by: td | June 11, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

So who goes through if the Czechs and Turks draw?

Posted by: Lots? | June 11, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I believe it will go to penalties.

Posted by: GoUnited | June 11, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

td yur kidding right? ESPN zone or did that close?
Whatever that that joint is in the bottom of tthe hotel across E st with the outdoor seating would certainly have the games on too.
DC does have a lack of dive bars that show the tour de france and soccer. it's kinda sad.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 11, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Portugal wins their group! The Turk-Czech winner goes through; if they draw it is goal differential.

I'm getting ahead of myself, but it looks like a Portugal-Germany semifinal. The top half of the overall draw might be much weaker than the bottom half, but these two can match up with anyone. I'd like to see Holland-Spain in the other semi; 2 germanic-latin semifinals. Why? No apparent reason other than symmetry.

Posted by: troy | June 12, 2008 3:41 AM | Report abuse

i'm gutted..why do i watch this sport!?injury time deflection!!!! give me an f'n break... :((

plenty o bars downtown where u can watch games..esp near chinatown & dupont..

Posted by: mizage | June 12, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Roger Guerreiro just scored for Poland. Doesn't that name evoke the aroma of kielbasa and pierogies, just as the names Eren Derdiyok and Hakan Yakin evoke images of Alpine villages?

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse