Matchday Europe

Spain's time has arrived but will German fortitude prevail again in a major tournament?

2:45 p.m., ABC.

What does David Beckham think? Here is what he told me at the team hotel last night:

"I like both teams, I like both countries. I respect Germany because they are always there, or thereabouts, in big competitions and you can never doubt any German side you come up against. But my heart will be with Spain. Spending so much time there, four good years, being around the people, I know what it would mean to Spain as a country and they are so passionate about the game. I also have friends on that team, so for me, I would love to see Spain win that game."

Your observations are welcome here.

By Steve Goff  |  June 29, 2008; 12:47 PM ET
Categories:  European Championship
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ruiz on the Move?
Next: DCU-LA, the Aftermath

Comments

Ballack is in the lineup, but can he go 90, or indeed 120 if it comes to that?

Posted by: tri-village | June 29, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I gotta go with Germany.

Posted by: Ron | June 29, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

If any European ever disparages American pre-game and halftime performances, mention to him the spinning balloon tepees of Euro2008 and the trampolining honey bees of WC1998. And what are those Marie Antionette-looking women doing? Bring out the guillotine.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 29, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I am calling Spain 2-1. BTW, I loved the "F*** you Beckham" chant and the "Shouldn't you be in Austria?" banner at the DCU game.

Posted by: gilbert | June 29, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

The pigman will go on the record spain will win 2 - 1.

Posted by: pigman sweet | June 29, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

The undercard was more exciting than the main event.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 29, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Ugh.

Posted by: Red Devil | June 29, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Posted by: d, dc | June 29, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

VIVA ESPANA!!! OLE OLE OLE!!!

Posted by: bob | June 29, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

@ I-270, Exit 1

I definitely agree.

Posted by: gilbert | June 29, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Lehmann is a disaster, a killer of dreams for his team.

Posted by: Eugene | June 29, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

If Spain had to win, why did Torres have to score the goal? >:

Posted by: evertonian | June 29, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

The goal was not Lehman's fault. Great move by Torres shaking off Lahm. Spain was the best side of the tournament as shown in all their matches. Given the youth, definitely a threat for WC 2010.

Posted by: Orange 14 | June 29, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Play-of-the-day: Landon Dovan with a cotton ball up his nose. Gallardo's b****-slap of Landon was worth every penny of his designated player salary.

Posted by: hiro_pro | June 29, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg's got a good piece up on The Bog about Benny and the Barras tribute.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | June 29, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I tried out the Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse, which was discussed in a previous thread. It wasn't too bad. (I'd been there before, but only for movies.) Did anyone else head there?

Posted by: tri-village | June 29, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Give it to Aragones for designing a system that suited his players' abilities. Yes, they played keep-away for a month, but it won them the tournament. Under-achievers no more!

Posted by: Mike | June 30, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse