MLS's Open Cup Pairings

The USSF has set the potential pairings and sites for the round of 16 of the U.S. Open Cup, when MLS teams join the fun.

D.C. United will host the winner of the second-round match between Rochester (USL1) and Pittsburgh (USL2) at Maryland SoccerPlex. The game is tentatively set for July 1 at 7:30. However, because United plays two days earlier against Beckham and the Galaxy at RFK Stadium, the match might be moved to July 2. If United wins, it would play a quarterfinal against Chicago, Minnesota (USL1) or Cleveland (USL2) at a site to be determined July 8-9. Like in the round of 16, RFK Stadium is not available, so United's bid to host would have to be with the SoccerPlex again.

Among the other local clubs, Crystal Palace Baltimore (USL2) would host the New York Red Bulls at UMBC Stadium, if Palace defeats Harrisburg (USL2) in the second round on June 24. Real Maryland (USL2) would need to beat a New York amateur team tomorrow night at the SoccerPlex and upset Carolina (USL1) on June 24 to earn a round-of-16 meeting with the Kansas City Wizards in Stilwell, Kan.

For all the potential matchups, click here. For the full bracket, click there.

How much does the Open Cup interest you? Let me know your thoughts in the comments section.

[UPDATE: The bracket in its current form is misleading. The potential quarterfinal matchups are not set, even though they appear to be. So DCU will not necessarily play Chicago in the quarters. Hopefully, a disclaimer will be inserted soon.]

By Steve Goff  |  June 12, 2008; 3:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Open Cup didn't interest me at all. But with a spot in Concacaf Champions League, it is now a meaningful tournament. We'll have to see what team is sent to the games.

Posted by: Johnny | June 12, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

i love the US' version of the FA CUP. too bad I was the Timber's lose to Hollywood United on Tuesday and lost faith in humanity.

gotta love the upsets.

Posted by: timbersfan14 | June 12, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why so many MLS teams had play-in games this year. How did they determine that?

Posted by: Kenobi | June 12, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

In spite of the fact that I love the tournament as well, I'm kind of relieved that the Galaxy are out of it. They could use a season off from all the extra cirriculars.

Also, New York Pancyprian Freedoms aren't just another amateur team. They used to be in the PDL and ahve won the LHUSOC in the past...

Posted by: Eric B | June 12, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

i can only hope that if united cant win the tournament that hollywood united will

Posted by: scruggs | June 12, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see United send out their A-Team. Win 4 games in a row and go to the Champion's League. Sounds a lot easier than going on a 15 game unbeaten streak or testing our luck in the playoffs.

Posted by: Glaucon | June 12, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Always like it when our teams in it and winning.
I just wish a major sponsor would put some money into it like in the FA Cup where teams would be interested in fielding there best teams for a big prize value. Make the game important to the players and the fans will come out.

Posted by: Ben Canada | June 12, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I like the USOC. I wish it had more value as a tournament, similar to FA Cup, but it seems like it's just another trophy that is up for grabs. I also like to see the MLS teams get upset by lower division teams.....except for United that is! I think it helps to develop some locla rivalries also, vs. Richmond or Harrisburg for instance.

Posted by: Andy In Asheville | June 12, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

so, what's going on at RFK on all of these dates anyway? I thought we pretty much had the place to ourselves now.

Posted by: Glenn | June 12, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I agree with United taking the tournament more seriously this year.
I know it's asking a lot but I hope the coach can use his brain(or borrow one) and utilize the reserves in the most intelligent way.
Mabybe Soehn could use some armchair scouting of our potential opponents by some folks in the know on Soccer Insider!

Posted by: Dadryan | June 12, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't care about the US Open Cup. Let the reserves compete in it. Nobody remembers it, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Posted by: Ron | June 12, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I didn't pay much attention in past years, but the spot in the CCC makes this tournament more interesting now. Also, watching United up close at the SoccerPlex is a fantastic experience.

Posted by: DCBird | June 12, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I remember the United-Riverhounds match at the Plex in 2003. Goals by Petke and Kovalenko. After his goal, Kovalenko ran over and hugged a ball boy, who looked like he was 6. That was cute, but then Dema fell forward, on top of the boy, and kept hugging him. It stopped looking cute. I really hope he knew that kid.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

The value of the tournament has increased due to Champions Cup spot awarded to the winner. In the past, there was no reason for this tournament besides wining another trophie.

If the MLS coaches start using more of their regulars in opening round matches this year, I might start taking it care about it.

MLS teams will have to watch out for the USL teams since this is their only shot at Champions League--so these games might be worth watching.

Since these games are not on any normal television outlets, it would be nice to see them from some kind of live streaming video. Maybe a Barra Brava/Screaming Eagles production w/ the fans as the commentators broadcasting this game?

Posted by: Murr | June 12, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I like the Open Cup because it's the only chance where the pros can meet the amateurs in a meaningful competition. It's a big deal when an small team makes a big run in the FA Cup and I enjoyed reading about Dallas Roma when they did well in it recently. I saw one of the local amateur teams here around Philly lose the game before getting into the Open Cup and try to support the local teams when I can. I think having a CCC spot will help; I just wish MLS squads had deep enough rosters to take the competition more seriously.

Posted by: Matt | June 12, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I think the open cup is overlooked... people say it doesn't mean a hill of beans but if its that easy then why haven't we won it in 12 years? I realize we play reserves in the early rounds, but certainly our players may be more confident in international tournaments if we could win our national ones first... and that spot in CCC looks nice

Posted by: Josh | June 12, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Kenobi:

It's complicated, but I think it goes something like this:

Of the 13 US-based MLS clubs (Toronto is ineligible), 6 get automatic bids to the 3rd round. Those 6 are the top 6 regular season teams from last year (though if the winner came from a club that finished out of the top 6, I'm not sure what they'd do). That leaves 7 teams competing for 2 spots. San Jose, with no record last year, and RSL (worst US-based team) had a play-in game to get into the USOC qualifier. The winner of that match joined Columbus (9th), Colorado (10th), and LA (11th) in another round of qualifiers. The winners from that round advanced to play Chicago (7th) and Kansas City (8th) to get into the tournament proper.

***

I think the Open Cup should be so much more than it is. Knockout tournaments are as American as apple pie, and I think US Soccer, MLS, and the rest are all really missing out by not trying to promote the Open Cup more. There should be much more prestige attached to winning the Open Cup. I'm not going to say the Open Cup should become soccer's March Madness, but the fact that soccer fans in this country (a country which absolutely loves win-or-go-home sporting events of any kind) are dismissing it as "not worth a hill of beans" tells me that there's a big gap between where this tournament should be and where it is.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 12, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

The Open Cup gave me a chance to watch DCU at UVa one year, against the RailHawks. It is a good way to spread MLS and pro soccer around this big country. I just wish Atlanta would draw DCU :)

Posted by: RK | June 12, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Even with the Champions League spot up for grabs, I just have a feeling that the stronger teams like United aren't going to take it seriously against USL opponents. At least not until around the semifinals. Which just doesn't make sense because as others said, it's a lot easier to grab a CL spot by winning four games in a tournament than it is by winning the Supporters Shield.

But I also agree with Ben above who said that a big sponsor should get involved. If there was a large cash prize for the winner like there is for Superliga, the teams would actually try.

Posted by: DCUMD | June 12, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Most years I couldn't care less about the Open Cup however this year with a Champions League spot going to the winner and our season record, the Open Cup represents the easiest and clearest path for united to be in the CCL next year. Supporters Shield while still possible is actually the least likely way for United to qualify UNLESS we go on a tear through the league.

Knocking off a couple USL clubs before facing a couple MLS ones seems acheivable.

SO NO SLACKING UNITED! Play THE STARTERS and WIN THE CUP!

Posted by: We Care A Lot | June 12, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Chest Rockwell...I couldn't agree with you more about the Open Cup and how it should/could become a great event.

I agree with what others said. This year might be the year Tommy needs to spend a little more time thinking about the line-up for these Cup matches.

As Glaucon said...Win 4 and United are into the CCL for next year OR make a historic run in the regular season to capture another Supporters Sheild (unlikely) OR a tough run through the playoffs. I'd LOVE to see that run through the playoffs (being top seed hasn't helped us in recent years), so maybe this will be the year. I also feel the Club needs to focus on what competitions are going to improve its standing/image internationally. Would anyone consider the SuperLiga a good international competition?

Posted by: Redd | June 12, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glenn | June 12, 2008 4:13 PM
==========================================

I, too, would like to know the answer to this question.

Also, is the Plex really the second-best venue for this sort of thing? Has anyone given any consideration to places such as George Mason or Maryland (Ludwig), which are somewhat closer in and can accommodate somewhat larger crowds?

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

COME ON PALACE!

I want to be in attendance to see a defeat of MetroDonkeyRedStarBallz at UMBC!

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | June 12, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what the RFK attendance has to be for United to realize a profit, but I imagine that the lower cost of the Plex, given the lower attendance at Open Cup matches, is the driving factor.

The Plex has hosted USOC matches prior to the Nationals' arrival at RFK. However, now that the Soccerplex is profitable and has more tenants than before, capitalism would dictate that they raise the rent for United.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Look, the US Open Cup is cute and romantic and all, but I don't think the American player pool can sustain the fixture congestion with the Open Cup in addition to prestige friendlies, Superliga, CONCACAF Champ. Cup, Olympics, and Sr. National Tm commitments. Here's an example:

FC Dallas now has games

6/26 at Houston
6/29 vs. Chivas de Guadalajara (unfriendly)
7/1 at Atlanta/or vs. Miami
7/4 vs. KC

MLS teams are not constructed to play 4 important games in eight days. Red Bulls have 4 in 9 days. It's just going to lead to injuries, fans paying to see second choice teams, and diminished expectations.

The Wizards already play in a baseball stadium - why do I need to see them at a community college or high school?

Does US Soccer make one nickel of profit off this tournament once they turn on the floodlights and fly in the teams?

Posted by: AM | June 12, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Great competition and I have seen some fun games in the past.

Its too bad the USSF and more teams don't take this more seriously.

Posted by: Nick | June 12, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

@AM - You sir, are a party-pooper.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | June 12, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

But if they don't have beer at the Plex, will there be the proper atmosphere for an event that has taken on a new level of importance? (I suppose they'd have the same problem at the university venues that I suggested above.)

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

OK, let me try to unpoop the party, as it were. Instead of arcane qualifications and USL2 having to have charity car washes to afford to fly to California, let's try this. Let the USL and PDL teams qualify for 14 places over 1 or 2 rounds to play MLS teams, include Toronto too.

The MLS team puts up $25,000 - the qualifying team puts up $2,500. Winner takes all. Call it the great American soccer challenge, play it on July 4. One crazy night for cash. Talk about motivation.

Let the 4th best MLS team into Conc Champions League.

Posted by: AM | June 12, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Toronto could not be permitted to compete without opening up a can of worms. At a minimum, if TFC was permitted to compete, as certain Welsh clubs compete in the English FA Cup, it would surely have to withdraw from the Canadian Championship, which also leads to the Champions League, and is probably an easier path than the USOC.

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I am exited because Crystal Palace is still in it. I only live 15 min away for the stadium and I would to see Palace against NYRB

Posted by: Elvis | June 12, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

US Open Cup? Why do we have to mimic goolf. I would be delighted if it even call US Cup.
So leave RFK empty and take games to Plex so most fans even if they want to attend can't go? Although that's another thing DC govt loses tax revenew. haha losers.

Posted by: fff | June 12, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

"as certain Welsh clubs compete in the English FA Cup"

In an Act of Parliament, with Royal consent, Wales was annexed by England in order for the FA Cup final to be played at Millennium Stadium.

Posted by: Tony Blair | June 12, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Anyone mention yet that Emilio won GOTW?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame Real Maryland wasn't drawn to potentially face DC. That would have been the first Metro derby, and it would have been a cracker based on DC's past exploits in the Cup.

Posted by: Max | June 12, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Love Open Cup.

Posted by: bubbles | June 12, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

The fact is no one cares about the Open Cup. Clubs field their reserve teams, games are played in high school stadiums, and there is usually no TV. Until the teams and leagues take it seriously and promote it, the fans are right to ignore it.

Posted by: Mike | June 12, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

fff, how is the Open Cup mimicking golf? While the US Open is a little older than the US Open Cup, I believe the golf tournament is the US Open Championship. The US Open Cup added Lamar Hunt to the title recently, but it is still a Cup and not a Championship. Many sports have "Open" tournaments including bowling and more noticeably tennis.

Posted by: sitruc | June 12, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I went to DC United's Open Cup game last year because it was only 2 miles from my home in Lancaster, PA. The performance of the subs rated a ZZZZ and thats my opinion of the Open Cup at present.

Posted by: Freddie B | June 12, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

The fact is no one cares about the Open Cup.
=========================================

=========================================

Both of you are missing the point. Because of the Champions League tie-in, people have a reason to care about the USOC that simply wasn't there before, and the use of subs is almost sure to drop substantially from previous years.

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I wish so badly that I was able to actually watch the Open Cup. I love that they are making the tournament more meaningful by giving the winner a spot in the new Champion's League. Hopefully teams will start to take it more seriously, fans will start to pay more attention, and the tournament will be able to attract better sponsors so the prize for winning will increase. Then, repeat those steps again and again and again.
It would be awesome if this tournament was able to grow to the level of importance here that the FA Cup has over there.

Posted by: elopingcamel | June 12, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

The fact is not that no one cares about the Open Cup. The fact is that YOU don't care about the Open Cup. You will as the Cup gains importance for the teams. The better the reward, the more teams will care about the Cup, and right now, a spot in the Champion's League is looking pretty sweet to some of these teams that haven't been able to enjoy any sort of meaningful international play.

I'm not predicting an overnight shift, but we will see the Open Cup become more important for MLS and US soccer in general.

Posted by: elopingcamel | June 12, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

The downside may be that the Harrisburg City Islanders of the world will be pulling big upsets less often.

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Dube receives a throw-in deep in the left side, gets it to the end line, and sends an uncontested pass across the goalmouth to a lonely Steve Ralston who taps it in at the far post. Shambolic defending by the Houston.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

as bad as our goalkeeper is, at least he is not as bad as Tony Caig. Has a worst GK ever played in MLS? The guy has been Swiss cheese every match I have seen him play.

Posted by: Glenn | June 12, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: football | June 12, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: football | June 12, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it
is the lack of starters.
Maybe it
is just that it's not United.
This MLS game sure is a little bit of a let down after watching all these EURO matches all week...
This has been a huge week for futbal on television hasn't it?
I'll be @ RFK on saturday and man doesn't sunday evening watching USAvsBarbados seem so far away?
I need a nap.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 12, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

I like the Open Cup.
It gives the small fish a chance and the guys on those teams get to play in front of the big clubs' scouts, etc.
Now that there is a real meaning to it, I think we will see a higher level of competition. DCU may really want to win. NYRB may send a real team to UMBC (come on Crystal Palace, make it happen).
The growth may actually be overnight. At least from the perspective of the competing teams, due to the CCC spot. The sponsors, TV (FSC, that's you), fan following, bigger venues, all that will follow over the next 5-10 years. Hopefully we can count on continued and broadening support from Goff and the Post -and maybe Ives, Lalas(Greg) and the others.
I, for one, see the awarding of big toourney spots as another step in the continuing growth of the game here. A big step in the right direction.

Posted by: marksman | June 12, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

It's painful to watch Houston. The final pass in the area is either too hard or it finds the legs of NE defenders.

ESPN again put microphones in front of a small group of supporters. Then again, the fans don't have much to cheer about.

Belize players are wondering why they are sitting in the heat watching this when they could be in air-conditioned hotel rooms.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Houston gets a PK when the foul happened outside of the box.

Holden tries the stupid Ronaldo stop-and-go on his run up and telegraphs his direction. Reis saves.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Just wish we had a half decent goalie.
A better goalie this year for United probably would have had us all lovin' Niell. OH he's so cute though...!
Busch and Reis have kept their teams in it. Can we somehow get our hands on Volkan?thought his efforts yesterday were solid.
god I love this Euro coverage!

Posted by: Dadryan | June 12, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see a good college team or a U17 team jump in the mix. Im guessing Brigham Young could play since they have a PDL team instead of an NCAA team.

Posted by: Kyle | June 13, 2008 1:38 AM | Report abuse

I agree with all of the above comments about making the LHUSOC a bigger deal with the inclusion of a CCL berth. I really hope United take it seriously this year because it will be the easiest way into the CCL. The Supporters Shield, while in reach technically speaking, is really gone from the first third of the season. Yes, we CAN hope for a marvelous run to the MLS Cup, or we take this road. I vote this road.

Side note. I live in Knoxville, TN. I am currently (albeit temporarily) working in a bar in our "Old City". I used to work there over a year ago and the owner asked me to fill in till he could get staffed back up. I was sitting in the back of house and I glance at the lunchbox/purse of one of my coworkers, there was a BB sticker on it... I immediately stubbed my cigarette out and ran to where she was putting in an order at the FRONT (it's a fairly large bar) server station and asked her about it. (because I would love to be a part of United's "firm" (if you will)). Evidently her sister is a member and she (my coworker) gets to go to a few United games a year.

1) I was jealous. I have been a United fan since day one and have never gotten to attend a game.
2)We started "arguing" whose club "it was" (i.e who first).

Just thought I would Let everyone know how far south the DCU love has spread.

Someone earlier mentioned something about hoping we get a draw against the Atlanta Silverbacks. I second that motion. I grew up in ATL before moving to this hellhole so I still have family there. I can kill two birds with one stone. Just let me know where the BB,SE, or LN are sitting and I will be with you singing Vamos United.

Posted by: gilbert | June 13, 2008 4:06 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully one day this tournament be be as important as it is in England. I play amateur soccer and dream of playing in this tournament. It gives all levels of players something to strive for. It is an absolute shame MLS has never taken it serious. That will now change and I think it is great a CCL spot is now up for grabs. It would serve MLS right if a lower level team stole that spot this year.

Posted by: dr | June 13, 2008 7:06 AM | Report abuse

gilbert: I feel sorry for you that you were not able to attend the live United games as loyal a fan such as yourself. It's so much better when attend live at RFK. If things work out you should come to Beckham game on June 29th. That would be a cracking game. I beame a fan about a year ago of United. Before that I always follor overseas games. Now I attend every single United game.

Posted by: arlington for United | June 13, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: football | June 13, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

The US Open Cup, much like the FA Cup, is far too much maligned. Its interest lies in the potential (however unlikely) of a minor league or amateur team beating one of the big boys. I understand MLS teams finding it to be a bother in the midst of their season, and certainly I would expect a DCU let down after what should be an emotional matchup two or three days before at RFK with Becks & Co. What I don't understand is why MLS teams consistently play reserves in these games? It's not always the crowded schedule...DCU has no other games for nearly two weeks except the July 1 and (maybe) July 8 Open Cup games. When the CL comes around, which will present a far more congested schedule for DCU, will they be using their reserves for those games? I doubt it.

Posted by: BillyBob | June 13, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I love the US Open Cup. Even If a United reserve team lost to Harrisburg last year...that's United's fault. Who ever wears the United uniform is DC United. The fact is that Harrisburg beat DC United!!!

Posted by: Harpo | June 13, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Given the stakes that exist for a spot in Champions League, this tournament needs a cleaned up structure and a clear investment from MLS.

Whack the playoffs, give CL spots to the top 3 finishers and the USOC winner in a single table league. You'll have Champions League in the fall and spring and move SuperLiga March as the UEFA Cup equivalent for the next 4 teams that don't make CCL.

That way, you assure MLS and the Mexican Primera 8 teams in high level, televised, money making tournaments.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 13, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I don't find the USOC all that interesting. Two points:

1. If the USOC needs some external factor (a CCL berth) to make it "interesting" that's actually damning the tournament itself? Shouldn't the teams (and fans) want to win the tournament because being "US Open Cup Champion" means something, rather than simply being a gateway to a more important/enticing trophy?

2. The interesting aspect of the USOC is in having lower division teams (esp amateur ones) have upsets and big the better teams. But the more seriously the MLS teams take this tourney (by playing regualrs and actually going all out to win) then the elss likely it will be for those teams to win. So, in a bit of irony, the better that MLS teams do ebcause they care, the less interesting the USOC becomes. Who really cares much about MLS teams playing each other? We see enough MLS versus MLS games.

Just my 2 cents. I don't dislike the USOC and I think it's cool that MLS teams play in it, but I don't think it will ever be all that that popular. There's only so much interest in seeing MLS teams beat up "minor league" clubs, even among hardcore fans.

Posted by: Phil | June 13, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

"Just thought I would Let everyone know how far south the DCU love has spread. "

Front runner.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | June 13, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

When you cross over the white line, you play to win, regardless of the competition.

Send the A team.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 13, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Josh | June 12, 2008 4:44 PM
_______________________________________
Looks nice, but at the cost of being weary for how many MLS matches? Winning the league is the team's first priority, with everything else being subjugated to that goal.

You answered your own question about the USOC's "importance:" the club plays reserves, many of whom are no better than the USL teams they face. That's what gets DC eliminated. There's no money in it, so what's the point?

Put it another way: without looking it up, do you remember who won the 2007 LHUSOC?

Posted by: schmuckatelli | June 13, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

was it Dallas?

Posted by: 135 | June 13, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Mastodon Juan,

Are you able to find good blocks of 100 seats at Nationals Park?

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 13, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Steve. Where are you? We've beaten this USOC to death and beyond. Start a new thread, pleeeeeeease.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 13, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

The US Open Cup is a unique and underappreciated competition. It can and will be more over time. The spot in Concacaf Champions league definitely helps. More prize money and TV exposure - (let's start with the final) - would be good.

Posted by: New Jersey | June 13, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse