Morning Kickaround

*The second round of World Cup qualifying in CONCACAF began last night with Honduras crushing visiting Puerto Rico, 4-0.

*Greenbelt United? Read this.

*In a U.S. Open Cup qualifier, Kansas City defeated Colorado on penalty kicks following a 2-2 tie to reach the round of 16 starting July 1. Ivan Trujillo scored a late equalizer, Davy Arnaud was red-carded and Facundo Erpen hit the crossbar in the shootout.

*Ticket sales for USA-Argentina on Sunday at Giants Stadium have surpassed 63,000.

*From Soccer America's Mike Woitalla, USA player ratings against Spain: Howard 5; Cherundolo 6, Bocanegra 5, Onyewu 5, Pearce 6; Dempsey 3, Edu 4, Bradley 3, Lewis 4; Johnson 4, Adu 7. Subs: Guzan 5, Hejduk 4, Beasley 3, Wolff 4, Mastroeni NR. (A belated happy birthday to Freddy, who turned 19 on Monday.)

Bob Bradley: "In certain areas, I think there was improvement [from the match against England]. In the first half, I certainly felt that we passed the ball better. In the second half, we had a very good chance early on but we lost a little bit of energy and Spain was able to capitalize."

*Fluminense comes back to defeat Boca Juniors, 3-1, at Maracana to win the series on aggregate, 5-3, and reach the Copa Libertadores finals against Liga de Quito.

*Messi and Co. put on a show in San Diego in routing Mexico, 4-1. Hey USA lads, were you watching?

(turn DOWN the volume)

By Steve Goff  |  June 5, 2008; 9:36 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU-Houston, the Aftermath (Sort Of)
Next: Jozy's Deal

Comments

Greenbelt here we come!

Posted by: kebzach | June 5, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Seeing that 4-1 scoreline makes my day.

Posted by: G-Dub | June 5, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Sven looked like he was taking part in a Preparation H field test, and he got the placebo. This could get ugly on Sunday.....

Posted by: Throwin | June 5, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

that has got to be the greatest terrible soundtrack to anything I've ever heard. Anyone know who/what that was?

Posted by: steve-o | June 5, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Bienvenidos Sven. Usted tiene mucho trabajo.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 5, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Is Sunday's US-Argentina game going to be played on grass?

Posted by: apqjr | June 5, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Just comical. The DC officials saying "it's going to be even harder to build it there than here". So now we've been reduced to sorting out "which area is going to resist the stadium more" arguments!?!

What a joke!

Posted by: AlexandriaDan | June 5, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

The crowd at the Maracana was awesome. Good camera work by FSE.

MLS really needs to get a team into Libertadores, although I wonder how likely that is now with the calendar congestion from the new CONCACAF Champions League.

Posted by: FC | June 5, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

bra jobbet, Sven. Ar du sakert du vilje jobbar dar?

anyway, Howard got a 5? I watched on blurry streaming video, but I thought he looked pretty good. While Pearce had some good play in the field, I think he tossed four throw-ins directly to the Spanish.

As to Sunday, can we call it a moral victory if we lose by three or fewer? Or can we update the baseball maxim to "Soehn, Payne, and pray for rain"?

Posted by: troy | June 5, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Actually FSE probably just picked up the local feed, so camera credit should go to the original production team.

Posted by: FC | June 5, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

An interesting conundrum has developed for me. My adoptive team for the past few years, DC United, appears headed for a home in a place where I will never, ever visit them. At the same time, the team I have supported since I was a small child is resurrected in albeit crappy expansion form. They both flat out suck this year, but at least one team has an excuse. Hmm, how should I proceed? I guess I can use the money I save on DCU season tickets for $5 per gallon gas for my car, which can't be far off.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 5, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

loudoun united - built just in time for the metro expansion. plenty of land available

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Libertadores would be awesome, but I think MLS needs to work on getting some consistent results in CONCACAF Champions League, SuperLiga and Copa Sudamericana first.

Posted by: apqjr | June 5, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Mike Bradley should have been pulled off the field for at least the last 25 minutes against spain. Looks like being the coach's son does provide some benefit. He was awful, and Pablo would have filled the spot.

Bob must be intentionally trying to loose these games. His substitutions in the second half were just unbelievable. Why even play these games if we are just going to give them away? Im so sick of this "things are getting better" baloney.

Posted by: Hacksaw | June 5, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Its one thing to be out-skilled, but to also be out-hustled is terrible. That second half against Spain was abysmal. The US players showed an unbelievable lack of class and pride.
Goff's player ratings were generous.
The back line was so-so.
I'd give Bradley, Wolff, Dempsey and Beasley zero's. Johnson was average. Pearce and Adu have been the only promising prospects.
When will the US learn to string some passes together, keep possession, and pressure the opposing team before they get to our 18-yard box?

Posted by: Gburg | June 5, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Why oh why can't people spell a simple word like "lose" or "losing"?

Posted by: Conan the Grammarian | June 5, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

DC United will be the last of the original MLS teams to open its own park.

And that is a scientific fact.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 5, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

greenbelt is fine..it's metro accessible and stone's throw from the dc line..RFK is better though!

Posted by: mizage | June 5, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

There should be a contest featuring a still photo of Sven watching yesterday's game with an empty thought bubble above his head, with prizes for the best fill-in-the-bubble...

Posted by: Juan-John | June 5, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@ steve-o

System of a Down - Chop Suey

Posted by: dano | June 5, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

LeesburgSoccerFan: Good Riddance.

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 5, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

RFK rocks.

Posted by: I Like RFK | June 5, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

And can't we just get Ed Johnson off the field? The Only Thing he can do is run forward fast. He can't hold the ball, he cant pass, his decision making and first touch just SUCK, and he can't finish a header from the six yard line because he's too afraid that he might get kicked in the head. AHHHHHH. If we play with this group against Argentina we are going to get absolutely CRUSHED. What has happened to this team?

Posted by: Hacksaw | June 5, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Erpen may have missed his PK, but both he and Boswell were named to Soccer America's Western Conference Team of the Month for May. (Namoff for the Eastern Conference).

Posted by: Greg | June 5, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

"LeesburgSoccerFan: Good Riddance."

If you were someone I respected, I might be offended. But your not. As is unfortunately commonplace here lately, the civil discourse of gentlemen has been replaced by the infantile drivel of the mindless.

I'll still pull for DC over all teams save one, but I won't pay for tickets to a stadium at best 2 hours away for a less than acceptable entertainment product.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 5, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Off topic:

The line from Gazidis about the amount of money being to better MLS and the Red Bulls - is he talking about allowing them to use that money on buying out Reyna so they can go after one of their dream targets finally?

Begin Stadium Rant:

[Virginia won't bid on the team due to scarcity of developable land close in and near a Metro (Except if they finally bull dozed that dump called River Place near Rosslyn where the Nats almost went)

Look, I hate the idea of DCU in MD because that 15-20 minutes one way on the metro is a line change as well and almost an extra hour in total spent traveling to something that is still a 30 minute trip one-way as is.

A stadium is a stadium and the financial stability of the club is important at some point. I just point out that suburban stadiums aren't cutting it anywhere in MLS and for most other things in life that aren't the NFL. I like my sporting events in anything to be near something that I have a reason to visit or enjoy visiting for and because of the game. Greenbelt is neither interesting or intriguing unless you are a city planning or architecture nerd.

The only way PG County could win my support for this if it's fully funded by their taxpayers, is completed operated and controlled by the club, and features a design and that makes me forget Poplar Point entirely.]

End Stadium Rant

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 5, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: troy | June 5, 2008 10:43 AM
-------------------------------------------

I think that rating is more a factor of his not having a ton to do. He had one decent reflexish save off a header, but he also came close to getting burned on a cross that swerved away from him and he was barely able to brush.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson was average? He gets a perfect cross in fron Eddie Lewis and all he has to do is head, touch, heck spit on it to put in in the basket - FROM THE GOAL MOUTH - and he finds a way to f**k that up. I used to be one of the few who held out hoping that he needs more time, but I am done with this guy.

Little Bradley had no business being on that field after the 70 min mark. He was gassed - mentally and physically - and when that happens he resorts to his usual lazy red card tackles.

The sad thing about this is, Big Bradley is going to probably trot out these same nitwits come WCQ, and they will trounce the minnows of the mighy CONCACAF and we all think that we will deserve to be seeded in 2010.

Posted by: Kosh | June 5, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

As far as the stadium situation goes:

"Thank you Kevin for this D.C. United jersey and congratulations on your terrific season," Fenty said. "It is great to see over 20,000 fans here at RFK supporting D.C. United. It is my hope that your fans will soon be coming to your brand new soccer stadium at Poplar Point in Anacostia. World class fans, and a world class team like D.C. United, deserve a world class stadium. And I am going to make it a priority to help you build that stadium. Thank you -- congratulations and good luck to the Black-and-Red!"

-Adrian Fenty on Oct 29 2006 (right before a mayoral elction mind you)

Those are Fenty's own HOLLOW words.

link to full article: http://www.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20061031&content_id=77524&vkey=news_dcu&fext=.jsp&team=t103

Posted by: H. Moleman | June 5, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

CSN had been planning to rebroadcast last night's game in the noon-to-2 slot. Instead, they are broadcasting the 1996 MLS Cup final at this moment.

Posted by: tri-village | June 5, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"DC United will be the last of the original MLS teams to open its own park.

And that is a scientific fact.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 5, 2008 11:08 AM "

I don't think New England has any stadium plan or even a desire to build their own stadium. Their ownership is more than happy to play at Foxboro.

Posted by: Glenn | June 5, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Off topic a bit...

I saw the headline for this and thought we had another two-sport star in our midst:

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 5, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Our friendlies (two UEFA and one non-UEAF sides) are eerily similar to a WC group. These displays don't paint a pretty picture of our 2010 situation. Yes, these are just friendlies and all that, but did you see what Spain looked like when they turned it up a notch yesterday?

Now check this out, wouldn't it be telling if our scheduled friendlies end up being the teams we face in Group D? (or E, for some reason those two letters are always linked with the group of death) How do you like our chances then? Of course, my hypothetical scenario is way off the mark here as England won't qualify, so substitute Russia, Romania or some other UEFA side other than Polland in that group. Do you still like our chances? Heck if we are really lucky we just might get another date with Portugal, I know they are dying to meet us again.

Posted by: Kosh | June 5, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

@Glenn,

And that's why we'll be the last of the originals to get a stadium.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 5, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson is killing the game of soccer, not just USMNT but the entire sport. Anyone who watches him play is left with less life to live.

He should be banned for life for sucking so bad!

KC

Posted by: Keith in Charlotte | June 5, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Build it and they will come.

All 5K of them.

Posted by: Hoost | June 5, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

That was an absolute clinic last night, although the defense was a bit shaky at times. Mexico had a lot of corners in the first half. I am so happy to be an Argentina fan and that I will finally get to see them play live on Sunday. I cannot wait.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I think the only reason why Eddie Johnson is allowed on the pitch for the USMNT is that Josh Wolfe is even worse. That said, it's painful to watch either player set foot on the pitch.

Adam

Posted by: EaglesFanAdam | June 5, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Bob Bradley is a hack that has no business coaching this team - his player selections and substitions alone, let alone his uninspired, pack-it-in hunkering and kickball tactics - should be more than enough to get the useless b$%&#*d sacked.

Posted by: Hmmm | June 5, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Lewis is our best player.

Posted by: Alan | June 5, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Some of you must be new to soccer. This game here is a friendly. It's like pre-season NFL or spring training. The coach is graded on real matches only.

Posted by: Glaucon | June 5, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse