Morning Kickaround

*Click here to read my print-edition story about Luciano Emilio and his postgame celebration in Chicago.

*Chicago defeated Columbus in overtime in U.S. Open Cup qualifying to reach the round of 16, while the first round commenced with matches all around the country. Real Maryland's home game was postponed until Friday because of bad weather, while Crystal Palace USA won on the West Coast.

*The CONCACAF Champions League draw will be held at some point today.

*Let's chat today at 1 p.m. Click here for details and to submit questions.

*The second matches of Euro group play begin today with a first-place battle between the Czech Republic and Portugal (noon, ESPN2) and a last-place encounter between Switzerland and Turkey (2:45, ESPN2). Perhaps you saw Zlatan Ibrahimovic's spendid goal for Sweden against Greece yesterday. Check out this gem when he was with Ajax two several years ago:

By Steve Goff  |  June 11, 2008; 9:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Roster
Next: Show Us the Money

Comments

I taught Zaltan how to do that.

Posted by: there's only one Zaltan instructor | June 11, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

although, i admit, i do not know how to spell Zlatan's first name.

Posted by: whoops | June 11, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

So at the draw today, we'll find out who (or potentially who as first round H/A series are still be be played) will be in United's group?

Will we also learn the order of play and dates for home/away games in the CCL?

Posted by: Mystery of Concacaf | June 11, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

From the Emilio article: "His journey ended when he crashed into a dry-erase board and landed in a heap of laundry, prompting his howling teammates to pile on."

Dirty Laundry Prevents a Gus Frerotte.

Nice article Steve. It gives us a window into the team's mentality.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 11, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I love how much like English Dutch can sound...mixed with a bit o' German. I don't speak a word of Dutch, but at the very end of that clip, the commentator very clearly says, "it is ballet...kunst..." (Kunst, per my rudimentary German, means "art".

And ain't that the truth? What a beautiful goal...

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 11, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"At some point today" is exactly why I hate CONCACAF at times.

Posted by: sitruc | June 11, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

you're having a chat DURING the Portugal-Czech game? where are your priorities?

Posted by: troy | June 11, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

just teasing, by the way. ;-)

Posted by: troy | June 11, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I was an Emilio naysayer for a while earlier this season, but I'm glad to see him regaining some of his form. I think what might be the most important sign that he is coming out of his funk is that he was clearly enjoying himself after the Chicago game. Dude certainly seemed to be under a cloud all spring, which couldn't have helped his on-field performance.

By the way - when did Cleveland get a USL team? Now I'm going to have start following lower-division soccer.

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | June 11, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"Check out this gem when he was with Ajax ..."

Ball hog!

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 11, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

"Check out this gem when he was with Ajax ..."

Ball hog!

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 11, 2008 10:08 AM
***
You know what, Joe Doc? I went back and watched it again, and Freddy was *wide open*, but Zlatan just straight-up refused to pass him the ball! Zlatan must hate Freddy.

;-)

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 11, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

deRoux gts and assist for the MN Thunder. Ya, sure. Youbetcha.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 11, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

gets an assist.
Stupid fingers.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 11, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

So what was that "important project" you were working on, Goff? The Luci story, or something more delicious? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | June 11, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Just heared "Rock Lobster" on my Internet radio. It's now stuck in my head.

Somebody help me. Please.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 11, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Don't Mess With the Zlatan.

Sorry, but you had to expect it sooner or later.

Posted by: Gburg | June 11, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Somebody help me. Please.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 11, 2008 10:51 AM
===============
Click this QUICK!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 11, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 11, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Is Hollywood FC going to bring in a bunch of ringers for the latter Open Cup rounds?

Posted by: Addick | June 11, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Still nothing beats Zlatan's goal against Italy in Euro 2004:

Posted by: Brian | June 11, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Brian,

that was a sick goal!

Posted by: koolciaio | June 11, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The rocket of a shot off after the Larssen give and go was pretty sweet last night. The second goal was absolute crap. Sweden allowed Greece too many chances for my liking, but they should be through with the win. I'm still calling them my dark horse candidate to win.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 11, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I love that he had to tie his shoe after that display....

Posted by: smokeminside | June 11, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Addick:

Hollywood United is not using ringers in the traditional, "these guys aren't registered" sense. However, if you were expecting Anthony LaPaglia in goal and Vinny Jones captaining the side, then you might be sadly mistaken. Their playing roster in actual competition seems to feature an impressive share of former MLS players (note that Matt Taylor, previously noted for dubious hair/mustache choices and for missing 2 sitters in MLS Cup 2004, scored twice for them in that 1st round win).

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 11, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I was about to say...
Chest Rockwell answers the question I was going to ask.
I was wondering if LaPaglia was in goal, that's all.
Are the Timbers biggest asset their fans?
Or what?