Morning Kickaround

Good mornin'.....

*Big Phil will take over Chelsea after the European Championship. He brings winning experience, personality, international flair, and most importantly, the gift of gab.

"If someone talks about my private life, for example, I'll give them a good punching. I'm not interested in suing. I like to sort things out my way."

For a complete list of Scolari-isms, click on this link to the BBC.

*Euro action today:

Germany-Croatia, noon (ESPN2)
Austria-Poland, 2:45 (ESPN2)

The first match is between one-win teams, the second between no-win teams. Following Switzerland's heartbreaking elimination yesterday (video available here), will the other Euro host be bounced out today?

*In MLS, Houston hosts New England at Robertson (9 p.m. ESPN2), but both clubs will be missing several players because of injury and international duty (Ching, De Rosario, Onstad, Twellman, Smith, Joseph, Mansally and others). Read about former DCUer Bobby Boswell and the match outlook by clicking here.

*After yesterday's terribly flawed poll (I left Matt Reis off the list of MLS MVP candidates), let's try another one today. Cast your vote and then add a comment below.

That's all for now, and perhaps the rest of the day (busy, busy). Enjoy the Euros!

By Steve Goff  |  June 12, 2008; 8:10 AM ET
Categories:  European Championship , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Midday Update
Next: MLS's Open Cup Pairings

Comments

"will the other Euro host be bounced out today?"

uh...yes.

Posted by: troy | June 12, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Andy Gray - by a landslide.

Posted by: Eddie C | June 12, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

"will the other Euro host be bounced out today?"

uh...yes.

Posted by: troy | June 12, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping Ray Hudson would be on the list!

Posted by: JonInVB | June 12, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

If Tommy Smyth and Julie Foudy never utter another word again it wouldn't be too soon.

Posted by: Matthai | June 12, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

You could watch Julie Foudy on mute. That would be far better than BSPN's regulars.

Posted by: troy | June 12, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to watching Houston vs. NE. It should be every bit as absorbing as the NED-ITA match was.

Posted by: Matt Mathai | June 12, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

My favorites are the ones on whatever stream I am listening to. Turkish?

Posted by: KLB | June 12, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Last night on Jeopardy!, there was a clue about Becks in a category about famous legs, alongside clues about such people as Betty Grable and Cyd Charisse.

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I like Foudy. Her analysis is decent and she shows no need to hog the air time or try and be controversial.

Andy Gray a nice addition, although he made a fool of himself over the Holland goal situation, where he was loudly and belligerantly wrong. Foudy was quietly and demurely wrong.

Also, a shout out to Rece Davis, who is by far the best 'Host' they have had in that chair. The first 2 guys they used didn't seem to be aware of this strange land called "Europe" and it's funny foot game. They were rubbish.

Posted by: JkR | June 12, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Austria will rebound today. Germany will go through. Today Gomez or Kurani will shine.
Andy Gray by overwhelming measure. Second best Derek Rae. If Tommy Smith doesn't grind his teeth so much when he is talking wouldn't be too bad. Third, Adrian Healey. Julia Foudy's analizing is good but she acts like a child sometimes.
United v Red Bulls expecting a huge crowd? Any pre attendance rumors?

Posted by: td | June 12, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Andy Gray combines (1) a Scottish accent, (2) high-level playing experience and (3) excellent insight. Julie Foudy is the only other one on this list with two of those three qualifications.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 12, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

If you think leaving Matt Reis off of the MVP list was that poll's main issue, you have bigger problems, Steven.

Posted by: Drew | June 12, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Is it safe to say that the Boswell-Wells trade has been entirely one-sided? If we could have redos, would the DCU front office make this trade again?

Posted by: J | June 12, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Pound for pound Ray Hudson is the most entertaining announcer. I miss his post game comments about kissing his players' bums in the shower.

Posted by: Ray-Ray | June 12, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: J | June 12, 2008 9:48 AM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Who would be playing in goal? It's one thing to not want to play Wells, but you have to have a first team GK for each game. Who would it be?

Posted by: JkR | June 12, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Watching these Euro matches only reminds me of how much more fun it would be to be there. Germany was such a blast and just watching the Euros, knowing that there are viewing parties going on in Switzerland and Austria, makes me a little depressed.

Anyway, Deustchland advances convinvingly today as expected, but Austria keeps their hopes alive with a draw against Poland.

Posted by: TCompton | June 12, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I just wish Tommy Smyth would minimize his use of the phrase "bulging the old onion sack" for "scoring a goal." Really, he doesn't need to use it every single time someone scores. How about coming up with some other metaphors for scoring? "Put it between the pipes," "split the keeper's friends," "put 11 proud mothers and 11 proud fathers to shame," whatever. Just mix it up a bit, Tommy.

Posted by: Dr. Modibo | June 12, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

No intiendo los hombres de ESPN Deportes.

I voted for Jules. She provides her analysis without letting her personality take center stage (her teammates didn't call her Loudy Foudy for nothing). Besides, bio majors are very smart people.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

My problem with Tommy Smyth is that he doesn't say anything, other than the obvious (and with an accent). There is no depth to his analysis.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 12, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

As insufferable as Tommy Smyth can be, he's still way better than Christian Miles.

Posted by: silentbob | June 12, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

My I choke on my onion bag.

Posted by: Tommy Smyth | June 12, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

It's all about the accent, isn't it? More Shaka!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Austria will rebound, don't you worry.

On the subject of this poll. These kids better be happy that Eric Wynalda isn't a choice cause he would clubed their ass for the win.

Posted by: Brian | June 12, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I think Adrian Healey is tremendous. I prefer the understated performance to the big Scottish galoot.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | June 12, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Derek Rae is solid as a rock. Footballing play-by-play doesn't get better.

Posted by: McBride | June 12, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Good ball Brian!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Germany will edge Croatia and Austria and Poland will draw, probably 0-0.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | June 12, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone find most ENglish commentators while better than their American counterparts, pretty boring overall?

We need the understatedness of the English during most of the run of play, coupled with the excitement of the Spanish speaking commentators when a scoring chance occurs.

We are in America, we like Salsa, not Marmite thank you.

Give us the Spice! and no i do not mean the channel or Posh!

Posted by: Spice It Up | June 12, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: J | June 12, 2008 9:48 AM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Whatever. Does it matter? Headcase or not, I'd far rather have Boswell back than be forced to watch another game with Wells between the pipes.

Maybe, the real issue is that the Front Office was just too nice to Troy Perkins when Perkins decided he wanted test himself in the Norwegian League. The Revs weren't nearly so sweet to Joseph when he wanted to play for a foreign team and look where that got them . . .

Posted by: tallguy | June 12, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

My .02 -- to increase US viewership (and therefore revenue, and therefore quality of professional play), I would argue ESPN and MLS should look to US announcers who can analyze the game in a straight-forward way for US sports fans who are perfectly capable of appreciating the intricacies of a complex game they may not themselves have played if it is properly explained -- for example just listen to passionate sports radio call-in from folks who probably never set foot on a high school football field. The problem IMO with many of the foreign announcers (but not Gray or Healey) and some of the US ones (Wynalda) is that it's about THEM, and entertainment, not analysis. To grow the game in US will require greater understanding and appreciation, not more comic antics and amusing turns of phrase. That doesn't hold up well over time.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 12, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

first, i'm a huge advocate of the women's game, i met my wife b/c she played collegiately with my sister, and love having ladies with skill on our coed squad (totally the difference maker in a coed league!). but julie foudy is flat out awful!!! she only speaks in cliches, and her analysis never makes any sense. don't get me started on how overrated she was as a player...lucky she had mia, lilly, akers with her. honestly, i'd rather take a kick sqaure in the nuts than listen to her!

Posted by: hartman | June 12, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Where can someone in this town, with limited knowledge of the sport, find information about the EURO 2008 tournament? Your newspaper makes it hard enough to find your blog, much less provide basic information on the sport - for instance, if I wanted to find out the classification, or even the groupings where would I go? I tried www.fifa.com and I didn't get anywhere. Is there a wonder football (soccer) is not popular in this country?

Posted by: barney | June 12, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Barney,

Here's the link to the Euro 2008 homepage. It's not too surprising that you didn't get too far at fifa.com; the European Championships are sponsored by UEFA, Europe's regional soccer authority.

Posted by: Matt In Silver Spring | June 12, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"I would argue ESPN and MLS should look to US announcers who can analyze the game in a straight-forward way for US sports fans who are perfectly capable of appreciating the intricacies of a complex game they may not themselves have played if it is properly explained."

I would argue ESPN should look to air more camera shots of Bastian Schweinsteiger's girlfriend. Yowza!

Posted by: silentbob | June 12, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

There's this wonderful creation called "Google". You simply "google" Euro 2008 and come up with the answer you're looking for...

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 12, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I wish ESPN would give Eric Wynalda another shot on the international stage. (I love listening to him on thurs nights) I know he's made some questionable comments - e.g. his meltdown on espn immediately after the US lost to Ghana in the 06 World Cup was priceless - but he's a great commentator. As a former player, his insight adds much more to watching the game than a lot of the other soccer commentators on TV these days. (are you listening FSC?)

Posted by: ef | June 12, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

You know, ESPN might have some Euro coverage, too...shocking, I know.

Posted by: RK | June 12, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know of a good soccer bar near the Springfield Mall to watch Euro 2008?

Posted by: Grayson | June 12, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: tallguy | June 12, 2008 10:44 AM

I think it matters because you can't undo only 1/2 of the deal.

The rest of your thoughts I tend to agree with. But I'm glad they treated Troy on the up and up. It's just the right way to treat people.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

can we get rid of julie foudy, maybe replace her with someone hotter or someone who is a jerk but entertaining like the great wynalda

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

RE: What would I have prefered to the Wells/Boswell trade- how about the mysteriously scuttled Boswell + Allocation to Dallas/Ruiz to LA/Cannon to DC trade? We were told it was scuttled because of issues with Ruiz to LA but that ended up happening anyway.

Posted by: bluemeanies | June 12, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

other than her odd voice and the look that says "someone get the tumor out of my brain" julie foudy states the obvious worse than that guy on altitude for the rapids, her play during, basically USA's dominant years doesn't mean she knows anything, other than china, canada and germany, the women's programs were, uh, crappy to put it lightly, you didn't need soccer knowledge, and it shows

Posted by: juliefoudyblows | June 12, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Good for Boswell. I have caught many of Houston's games this season and he has been rock solid for them. The article doesn't even mention that he scored a game-winning goal and was named to the league's best XI for May. Yeah, I think DC got the short end of the stick on that trade. But apparently Boswell felt he could no longer play for Soehn and asked for the trade. The team couldn't keep him, or Gomez, or Perkins, when they all wanted to go.

Posted by: Greg | June 12, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

It's Andy Gray by a parsec for me. The man has a brilliant football brain, is very passionate and exciting to watch. Plus I love how he takes no prisoners (I like his little spats with Tommy Smyth). Beyond his knowledge of the game, he also knows the business well and seems to have fit in quite well with the American (ESPN) way of sports-talk TV.

I also like the way he works with Julie Foudy (who is also doing a great job. I never got why people hate her so much on the internets). Andy does not try to steal the show, which has allowed Julie to relax and have her personality shine through. I think they work well together and seem to enjoy working with each other.

I am really enjoying these games. Plus I think ESPN is doing a great job presentation wise. Here's hoping they learn from this and rock the house in 2010. Plus could this be a little prep work for taking on a Euro league or two? This little flesh unit certainly hopes so. You know they can also send a bit of that love to their MLS games too.

Speaking of which, note to MLS commentators: observe and learn how the pros do it.

Posted by: Kosh | June 12, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

ESPN Deportes Crew are good! they have knowledge of the game.

Posted by: Elvis | June 12, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Is there a wonder football (soccer) is not popular in this country?

Posted by: barney | June 12, 2008 11:02 AM
============

Welcome to the sport Barney.

Keep in mind that EURO2008 is a, well, European tournament. American daily newspapers will not devote much of their dwindling resources to it. Likewise, Euro news won't pay much attention to NFL or MLB.

In addition to the sites mentioned above, try http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/euro2008
and soccernet.com for greater coverage.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

For Grayson. Bungalow Billiards in the Manchester Lakes Shopping center always has the matches on. One or two guys at the bar watch, but there's not much atmosphere. A better bet is Summers at Arlington Courthouse if the Orange line is fixed.

Posted by: Karen | June 12, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I visit bobbyboswell.com from time to time, and I noticed that, once Bobby went to Houston, he rarely posts anything new. In fact, most of his posts when he was at DC United were from "The Management". So I tend to believe that the web site was more of a United promotional vehicle than for Boz's self promotion. Apparently, Houston isn't using his site as a tool for Dynamo's interests.

Posted by: Haley | June 12, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I like Tommy Smyth ... he's funny and I enjoy his banter with the other announcers.

That said, I've enjoyed all the game commentators ESPN has employed for Euro 2008.

I can do without Foudy in the studio, though. Unless she promises to speak with a Scottish accent.

Posted by: United fan in TN | June 12, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

big phil is an interesting choice for Chelsea. Kind of think he might be overhyped. He has never coached in Europe and won the world cup with Brazil, not really much of an achievement. He has done good work with Portugal but that was never going to be too hard.

Posted by: wrc | June 12, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF, I didn't know Foudy had a Scottish accent?

Anyone else use a combination of DVR fast forwarding and the mute button to only catch Andy Gray talking?

Posted by: C Dykstra | June 12, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm going for the underdog, Croatia; I just like their style of play and hope they can somehow make Germany look bad or unimaginative. Also pulling for Poland 'cause co-hosts shouldn't be better than team that qualified through competition.

I like the pairing of Andy Gray and who, Healey? They have been fresh voices with good chemistry and I think Gray does bridge the styles of staid Brit/Euro with self-deprecation to appeal to US audience. Never have liked Foudy's voice which is monotonous and when combined with her half-awake appearance and lack of insightfulness make her am open-target (like me now) to the soccer-viewing public.

Posted by: cuzco03 | June 12, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hartman | June 12, 2008 10:57 AM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Amen.

Let me add to that; why is it that you don't see women in the Fox, CBS and NBC studio for an NFL game?

But when it comes to men's soccer we are force fed Foudy. Its one thing if she has a passion for and follows/studies the men's domestic and international game but, it's another when her commentary comes across as patronizing and lazy. She played during an era where they had a leg up (infrastructure, training programs) on their foreign competition.

To anybody with more than a sliver of brain matter she obviously cannot analyze and elaborate or educate on the nuances of the men's stage other than what she reads from her morning cheat sheets.

Then again my wife says she looks like a man so maybe that's how they justify her presence on the set.

Posted by: charlton heston | June 12, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

--I agree, but I'm sure others wouldn't. Classic philosophical/pragmatic difference in p.o.v. Let's fight about it.
Would a Troy p.o.'ed because he'd rather be in Norway not perform well for United? Or can we assume any pro athlete will suck it up and still perform (just like Thufir Hawat working for Harkonnen)?

Posted by: gringo | June 12, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I vote Tommy because he is accurate. But I like deportes the best. I watch the replays at night on deportes because my kids like cartoons and DC United only, so when the wife's home it's kids way. All through the CL deportes has been very informational and I can't complain like I can about english commentators, Andy, or women, Fouldy.

Thanks ESPN for not have Eric Whiner.

Posted by: dr | June 12, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

For those who r interested a lunchbreak euro games espn downtown dc is showing euro games on every single tv on the main floor!!!!

Posted by: td | June 12, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Someone had a link on here earlier this week for free online streaming of the games? May I bother one of you fine folks for the linky?

Danke.

Posted by: Kosh | June 12, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I watch all my games in ESPANOL. Love the "Futbol Picante" crew on ESPN Deportes. David Brailovsky is my favorite, great analysis.

When compared to the passion of the broadcasters in spanish, the english-speaking commentators do not even come close. In fact, watching the game in English can sometimes become boring for me. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Kevin McCallister | June 12, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: charlton heston |

Easy. Women don't play football.

Posted by: RK | June 12, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Derek Rae: "Michael Ballack just misses with his shot just outside the right post."

Tommy Smyth: "Yes, Ballack shot that ball and it went just wide."

Rae: [In his mind: "Deep piece of analysis there, Tommy."]

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 12, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Foudy got votes? Must be that 4% mis-click between Rae and Gray ...

Posted by: maw | June 12, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

In my opinion, the best color analysts are the ones who actually teach you something about the game. The best example is watching Hubie Brown call an NBA game. Hubie's personality may not be the greatest, but when someone makes a poor pass to feed the post, Hubie's there to tell you why it was a bad pass... Having never played organized ball, it was Hubie that taught me that you need to feed the post at a 45 degree angle from the wing.

So I'd prefer soccer announcers who spend more time talking about the intricacies of the offside trap, or maybe the proper positioning of a goalkeeper on a cross than someone who's going to compare Oguchi Oneywu to an NFL linebacker (I know you guys remember when that reference was made in a USMNT match last year).

Posted by: jrnail23 | June 12, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

A better bet is Summers at Arlington Courthouse if the Orange line is fixed.
========================================

That is pretty far from Springfield. (And for those for whom the Courthouse area is convenient, Kitty O'Shea's is another choice.) Another possibility, several miles from Springfield but easy to get to, is Grevey's in Merrifield, with your very own small flat screen at each table.

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Andy Gray is amazing to listen to. He has been there and really knows what he is talking about, he is entertaining, and doesn't talk too much. He is giving Ray Hudson a run for his money for my favorite commentator.

Posted by: Gabe | June 12, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: United fan in TN | June 12, 2008 11:45 AM
==========================================

Would an English accent do? After all, her husband is a limey. I hope they're teaching their kid to be a linguistic switch-hitter.

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

Besides, it is easy to root against Germany so long as our old friend Torsten Frings is playing for them.

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Good God, but Julie Foudy is a useless commentator.

Posted by: Brendan | June 12, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

If there hamberger hamlet in springfied they might have the because the.one crystal informed me of showing the games.
Surprize or maybe should't but just went to espnzone in dc they are showing euro games on very tv. I had to rush back to work. A little far from ny ave.

Posted by: ff | June 12, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

How can y'all dismiss Suzy Kolber?

(Make your own comments)

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 12, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

ESPN Deportes coverage of the Euro rawks so much more than the regular ESPN coverage.

Ruso Brailovski as color commentator and
the pre-, post- and HT crew with Jose Ramon Fdz. and co.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | June 12, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@kosh

I am using TVU channel 65264.

Posted by: gilbert | June 12, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Would an English accent do?

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 1:22 PM
===========

Only if it's from North England. If a soccer commentator hasn't a brogue, he must have a Geordie or Scouser accent.

None of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSqkdcT25ss

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Julie Foudy is so hot.

Posted by: Dan | June 12, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have an idea if, or when, Barbados will announce the team it's bringing for the qualifier on Sunday?

Surely at least some immigration official knows by now...

Posted by: garbaggio | June 12, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

Cockney and Cornish won't do?

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Grayson | June 12, 2008 11:16 AM

Hard Times at Commerce St. & Backlick Rd. has about a gazillion screens. You could also try Kate's Irish Pub.

Posted by: CMJ | June 12, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

i feel kinda bad for austria right now....

Posted by: gilbert | June 12, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Roger Guerreiro just scored for Poland. Doesn't that name evoke the aroma of kielbasa and pierogies, just as the names Eren Derdiyok and Hakan Yakin evoke images of Alpine villages?

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

At least espn threw Rob Stone in there today as host, someone who has a bit of an idea what's going on. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes not to have to hear Rece Davis blurt out how C.Ronaldo's the "best player in the world" over and over again because it's the one piece of knowledge he has...

Posted by: jason | June 12, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

And as to Boswell...

Yes, United got its lunch eaten on that trade. But it was a classic case of a good, underperforming player needing a change of scenery. DC had little choice but to trade Boz. They were also desperate for a first-team keeper, thereby setting the stage for trading an undervalued Boswell for an overvalued Wells. Then they hoped for the best with Wells. You can certainly say that was a bad bet, but I don't know what other bet could have been made at that time.

Posted by: CMJ | June 12, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Julie Foudy is so hot.

Posted by: Dan | June 12, 2008 3:02 PM

A little early for beer goggles, don't ya think, Dan?

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 12, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Offside time again.

Any reason the Poland goal scorer was not in an offside position? Deflection shouldn't matter, he appeared to be offside at the initial shot, then benefited from his offside position on the deflection.

Posted by: JkR | June 12, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Today's quiz

What country was the opponent and what was the score in the match that saw two USMNT head coaches receive their first and only caps?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

That was too easy. Name both coaches.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow Austria...

Posted by: Dadryan | June 12, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh Polska... my heart breaks

Posted by: johnk | June 12, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Bradley and Arena in a 2-nil loss to Israel in 1973.

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Bradley and Arena in a 2-nil loss to Israel in 1973.

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 5:34 PM
==============

We have a winner!

We don't have any prizes!

I figured most people know that Arena had one cap. Bradley may be the oldest player to receive his first cap (42).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

And what was the name of the coach who enabled Bradley to earn that cap at such an advanced age?

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 5:51 PM
==========

I'm laughing at that follow-up because some people are so upset at the roster selections of the current Coach Bradley.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 12, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

The name of the coach was Mr. Bozo T. Clown

Posted by: Joe the Sandwich Man | June 12, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

The name of the coach was Mr. Bozo T. Clown
===========================================

That is a curious way to refer to one of the most important figures in the development of the sport in this country, as we remembered when he passed away a little over a month ago.

Posted by: tri-village | June 12, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

So my neighbor was telling me she was familiar with Gordon Bradley, when she was dating some Brazilian dude who went to G.Mason.
is that who you are talking about?
she was surprised to hear he had passed away.
maybe you guys know her.
How bout that Dube on New England eh?

Posted by: Dadryan | June 12, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he was the coach at the time. Believe me, giving himself a single cap wasn't uppermost in his mind, because back then there couldn't have been a more obscure institution than the USMNT. Rather, he probably was forced to press his 42-year-old body into service because his team was shorthanded. That's the way things were back in 1973.

Posted by: tri-village | June 13, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

This exchange has gotten me to thinking: When was the first time a game involving a U.S. national team at any level appeared live on national TV? I remember seeing Caliguiri's whack against T&T in the fall of '89 (on TNT, I think). Can anyone think of any earlier event?

Posted by: tri-village | June 13, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

A bit late, but still grateful, to Matt in Silver Spring, and to I-270, Exit1, for the information you have given me. Thank you both.

Posted by: barney | June 14, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse