Morning Kickaround

*Never mind the Celtics' majestic comeback or Mike Lowell's grand slam last night. Boston is all about Matt Reis and the Revs, who are on a 5-0-1 run following a 2-0 victory at Houston. The Revs are the rage up and down Route 1, no? Reis continues to exact his revenge on the Insider for omitting him from the MVP candidates list the other day by stopping Stuart Holden's penalty kick to record his fifth shutout and second against the Dynamo. Click here for video highlights.

*According to the Denver Post, the Rapids will be without defender Ugo Ihemelu for tomorrow's match at Toronto because of Canadian national team duty. Whoa, Canadian national team duty? According to the Post, the Nigerian-born, U.S.-educated Ihemelu "was contacted by the U.S., Canada and Nigeria last week about national team duty and picked Canada. Since he has been in the U.S. camp before, Ihemelu is not yet clear to play for Canada, although he is practicing with the team in Florida." Go figure.

*Chicago and Columbus supporters are speaking out against racism in soccer.

*Barbados names its roster for Sunday's World Cup qualifier against the United States at Home Depot Center.

*Euro matches today:

Italy-Romania, noon (ESPN2)
France-Netherlands, 2:45 (ESPN2)

The Italians are desperate for victory, while the Dutch are in position to clinch first place in the group.

*On the youth front, D.C. United will host a free clinic June 28 in Arlington for children between ages 6 and 16 at Washington-Lee High School. Marco Etcheverry will help run the clinic and sign autographs. To register your child, call 202-587-5468.

Feel free to discuss any futbol matters throughout the day. I am finishing up a project and might not be able to rejoin you until much later.

Cheers!

By Steve Goff  |  June 13, 2008; 9:44 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS's Open Cup Pairings
Next: What's the Lineup?

Comments

...and Cheers to the Fire and Crew supporters. Congratulations on your efforts.

Posted by: JkR | June 13, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Sweet. Matt Reis is racking up fantasy points for me with another clean sheet AND a saved penalty kick! I still don't see a keeper winning the MVP award, but he's gotta be the clear favorite for goaltender of the year.

Posted by: DCUMD | June 13, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

revs look good. matt reis is the man... heck, even steve ralston is looking perky.

Posted by: dfunkt | June 13, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 13, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

The Nigerian call-up for Ihemelu was a phishing scam.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 13, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Good choice by Ugo Ihemelu. Canada offers him the quickest chance to play for a national team. Don't know if they'll make it to the World Cup though.

Posted by: Bart | June 13, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

anywhere i can stream the euro games today for free?

forgot to set my dvr

Posted by: euro 08 | June 13, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Italy's totally screwed. Even if they win their next 2 games and the Netherlands lose today- what are the chances they lose to Romania? Then they'd be tied and Netherlands would advance...

This wop's pissed...

Posted by: laur | June 13, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

You forgot a very important development for Euro Cup 2008 [url] http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=544984&&cc=5901[/url]

And congratulations goes to Forward Ivica Vastic!!!!!

Posted by: Kevin | June 13, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

anywhere i can stream the euro games today for free?
-------------
If your ISP offers it: espn360.com is pretty great.

Posted by: NW FC | June 13, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

There's a Real Madrid New Hampshire? (check out the the Barbados roster)

Posted by: Rich C | June 13, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Good for Columbus and Chicago. Maybe DCU can do its part with home and away friendlies against St. Pauli.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 13, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Yeah. RMNH caught my eye too. For a democratic republic, were sure have a lot of king-approved teams.

laur: how is Italy screwed if they win their next 2? The top 2 teams advance to the knock-out rounds.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 13, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"Johnathan Nurse of Dagenham & Redbridge in Britain" -- is he a player or a lawyer?

Not that I have the time right now, but a vacation to Barbados to watch the USMNT would've been a great idea.

Posted by: RK | June 13, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Watch out for Mutu today...

Posted by: RK | June 13, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Nevermind- I clearly can't do math...

Posted by: laur | June 13, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

The Revs are looking good. I'm very impressed with Steve Nicol's revamped young squad. I hope I don't get too impressed though. I'd rather blame United's 2 goal collapse on United than credit the Revs for a fighting spirit.

Posted by: TCompton | June 13, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Blame United's inability to defend set pieces.

Posted by: laur | June 13, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I think Holden is a great prospect...but why is he taking the PK?

Houston outshoots NE 15-7...but 5-6 SOG.

Is Twellman hurt (again)?

Posted by: RK | June 13, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Btw- I can't get espn360- does anybody no of an audio link to the games today?

Posted by: laur | June 13, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"The Orange looked better than I expected in the first game, but do they have enough depth with all of their injuries to make it through the tournament? I would be pleasantly surprised if they pulled out a win today, but I don't expect it."

@LeesburgSoccerFan

Arjen Robben is fit for the game today, and Van Persie got a good twenty minutes or so against Italy, so the Dutch are in much better shape today.

Posted by: pat | June 13, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I get 360 but I would have to download something (a player or agent?) on my compamy laptop that would get IT on my a$$ in 2.5 sec. So no ESPN360 for me either. I swear earlier this week someone had a site where you can watch the game without a significant download. HELP me. Please?

Posted by: Kosh | June 13, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Die Mannschaft disappointed me yesterday, I still vote them tops for the whole cupcake.

The Oranje are looking mad good and I pick them to top France today and win the group. If they don't activate their premadonna powers they might be good enough to steal Die Mannschaft's cupcake.

I am not sure how fast Romania is, but if they are faster and younger than Italy, I say they sit back and frustrate an Italian side (that has to push for a result) and hit them on the counter. That is why that is the game of the day for me.

Man if I don't see these game I will go INSANE!!

Posted by: Kosh | June 13, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

If one were to sop up some knowledge, you might find if you cast a net, you could download something that would not get you into too much trouble with IT

Posted by: read carefully | June 13, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Hup, Holland, hup!!! Ga Oranje!

Posted by: DCBird | June 13, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Ugo get a cap with the US against Norway in 2006?

Posted by: Jeremy | June 13, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Kosh, channelsurfing.net carries multiple feeds for each of the games. No download, just click and play (some are ie only though).

Posted by: Kurt | June 13, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Hup, Holland, hup! Ga Oranje!

Posted by: DCBird | June 13, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post...

Just can't wait till 2:45.

Flexible Fridays rule!

Posted by: DCBird | June 13, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

On last night's telecast, it was revealed that BSPN Classic has picked up the second Barbados match, at 3:00 p.m. EDT that Sunday (the 22nd).

Posted by: tri-village | June 13, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

NE was not was good last night as Houston was bad. On the 1st goal, no-one marked Dube, no-one was in the center to cut off the pass, and no-one marked Ralston.

Houston had a habit of wasting the final pass in NE's area. The ball was either hit too hard or straight at a defender's legs.

Houston has a couple of chances late by getting behind the defense, but on each, the first touch killed the play.

Reis gets too much credit on that PK save. To be sure, he made some good stops, but Holden pulled the stop-and-go move, got psyched out when Reis didn't commit, and telegraphed his shot.

Even Reis admits that it was an ugly win.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 13, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see Chicago and Columbus showing such initiative. Well done, guys.

France-Netherlands -- a great match-up. Saving my PB&J sandwiches (yes, again) for a late lunch. I'm going with France, 2-1.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 13, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Geez Joe Doc. Do your kids get PB&J for lunch everyday too?

No more Swiss Cheese defending jokes..

I'm picking Holland to Brieze past France. The Dutch are very Gouda.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 13, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

kosh: how about this?

I've been using streams 3 & 4 since they don't require downloading a viewer program
Posted by: watching at work | June 11, 2008 12:59 PM

Posted by: arlington for United | June 13, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

What a lucky day today. Thanks to power outage I was let go home and what a day to be out.

Posted by: arlington for United | June 13, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Good thing you have power where you live...

Posted by: RK | June 13, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

5 changes for Italy.

Posted by: RK | June 13, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Goff-

Whats the expected attendance for tomorrows match looking like?

Posted by: me | June 13, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Ughhhhh
Positive comments for Reis on a DC-centric blog???
What next? The Red Bulls are my 2nd favorite team - you know when DC isn't playing them.
I hate Reis. He is a thug, a cheater and a whiner!!!
Can I get a hell yeah???

Posted by: marksman | June 13, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Isnt' Ihemolu the one who broke Mediate's leg with a HORRENDOUS tackle from behind during the LA-DC match two summers ago?

If he is, I wouldn't ever want him to put on our uniform. He's a thug IMHO.

Posted by: AlexandriaDan | June 13, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Goff: Finishing up a project? Kitchen remodeling, perhaps? I've been through that.

Posted by: tri-village | June 13, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Ihemelu has Canadian citizenship...not that much of a reach. Just the small issue of the 1 US cap, but apparently that wasn;t an official game (was against a 'B' side)it should be okay. I understadn FIFA is investigating.

Posted by: Aljarov | June 13, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 13, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I would rather see Heather Mitts in that.

Posted by: td | June 13, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

These refs have something going on against the Italians clearly.

Posted by: arlington for United | June 13, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

anywhere i can stream the euro games today for free?

-------
www.justin.tv

click sports

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

What a game!!!!!

Posted by: Red Devil | June 13, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

except the refs. They are so up to something.

Posted by: arlington for United | June 13, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Toni has been so ineffective. He is always on the wrong side.

Posted by: td | June 13, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Tony Caig is terrible. Give Corbin Waller a chance.

Posted by: I state the obvious. | June 13, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I would rather see Heather Mitts in that.

Posted by: td | June 13, 2008 1:02 PM
==============

She's obscured by that prop, but

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 13, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Sorry... I live a mile off Route 1. NO. The Revs are not the rage here (Rhode Island). They didn't get a recap in the Providence Journal (last year's New England newspaper of the year), just a result in the Scores section.

Local news just talks about the Celtics (ironic because they are an hour away) and how badly the state is in debt, along with our "illegal immigrant problem" that we all know was created by the governor.

All my friends who like soccer are surprised when I start talking about MLS, and usually there's a stupid "Oh hey, isn't there a team up at the Pats stadium? What's their name?"

No, the Revs are not a hit here. I propose they move closer to Boston, or out to Portland, Montreal, New York City, or St. Louis (who actually deserve a team).

Posted by: Go away losers with ugly uniforms and oversized stadium | June 13, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Netherlands. Are. Going. To. Win. Euro. 2008.

They are SOOOOO GOOD!!! I watched today's game, and my jaw just hit the floor. I went back and watched the Italy game on DVR, and my jaw broke through the cement floor in my basement and tunneled into the core of the earth.

The Dutch are the best team in the world. I hope they play Argentina soon.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse