Morning Kickaround

*Bob Bradley might want to rescind Chad Barrett's invitation to Sunday's World Cup qualifier at Barbados after watching his two first-half misses druing last night's 2-0 loss at Chivas USA. (Video match highlights are available by clicking here.) MLS's best team through the first third of the season, the Fire has dropped three straight since its 5-1 victory at New York and is barely above .500 (6-5-1). Chivas won for the fourth time in six matches, despite playing shorthanded the entire second half.

"We've been going through a little bit of adversity," Barrett said. "It's just kind of new to us; this season we haven't faced it yet, and now we're starting to struggle, so we have to see what we're made of."

*The complete USA roster for the almost meaningless Barbados qualifier will be unveiled sometime today.

*Carlos Bocanegra to France?

*You should also know that the oft-injured Alecko Eskandarian, who has played one game for Chivas this season, will miss at least six more weeks after undergoing groin surgery; that John Ellinger, he of the RSL disaster, has been hired to assist new Dallas coach Schellas Hyndman, he of no MLS experience; that the Rowdies are returning to Tampa Bay in 2010 as a USL1 franchise; and that Cristiano Ronaldo, while awaiting to see whether he'll play for Man U or Real Madrid this season, is having foot surgery.

*The Euro quarterfinals continue today with Croatia facing undermanned Turkey (2:45 ET, ESPN).

*Chile wins at Venezuela, 3-2, in South American World Cup qualifying on an added-time goal by Humberto Suazo:

By Steve Goff  |  June 20, 2008; 8:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday Europe
Next: DCU Updates

Comments

It's Cristiano Ronaldo, not Christiano.

Posted by: Cristiano Ronaldo | June 20, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Do you think that website realizes that their picture is not of Charlie Blackmouth?

Posted by: jgildea | June 20, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm terrible! I can't believe I'm playing for the US. It's a sad moment for my country!

Posted by: Chad Barrett | June 20, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

good for Bocanegra. the guy's only 29 and has played top-level football for about 4 years now. what was Fulham thinking?

Posted by: troy | June 20, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Funny, not only did Rennes pick up Los, but they managed to change his face completely!

Posted by: Paul | June 20, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Chicago was awful last night for about 75 minutes. The first 15 minutes were not bad but after that it was all Chivas. Hck in the second half you would think Chicago would be a man down, not Chivas based on their play. They could not make simple passes and get any kind of offensive flow at all.

Posted by: United fury | June 20, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Impressive results by Chile - two wins out of two on the road. The South American WC qualifying tournament is the toughest in the world, in my opinion. Each team faces a grueling 18-game marathon, with games taking place in a wide vareity of climates and altitudes. Few games are easy, and the results are often unpredictable. Look at Paraguay - they easily dispatch Brasil at home, only to lose to lowly Bolivia (at high altitude, granted).

These games need to be televised on a non-PPV channel. Maybe Gol TV or ESPN Deportes? I think American soccer fans would enjoy them.

Posted by: SSMD | June 20, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

As excellent as that game was yesterday, the highlight comes from none other than Tommy Smyth, when he referred to Schweinsteiger's run into the box on the first goal as "like a rat up a drainpipe".
Classic. I almost choked on my food.

Posted by: Gburg | June 20, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

The Good: No John Harkes commentary (I don't like whine that late in the day).

The Bad: Nakamura's second yellow (notice Blanco didn't even have to gripe and moan to get that call)

The Coyote Ugly: Barrett's finishing. Brutal.

Posted by: BillyBob | June 20, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"John Ellinger, he of the RSL disaster, has been hired to assist new Dallas coach Schellas Hyndman, he of no MLS experience..."

Talk about the blind leading the blind! Dallas is surely run by "endarkened management."

Posted by: schmuckatelli | June 20, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Why is the likes of Barrett getting a look by BB over Kenny Cooper????? Call me a homer, but I promise you Kenny's better than Barrett, EJ, Wolfe and many of the other spares being thrown out there for the Nats.

Posted by: FCD Brad | June 20, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I tuned in late last night. Is there some story behind having JP and Messing in the BSPN2 broadcast booth, rather than the usual blokes?

Posted by: tri-village | June 20, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I guess the good news for the Fire is that McBride is coming. Maybe they can offload Barrett to Toronto Fake Club.

On a funnier note, that picture is not of Bocanegra. Google images is your friend aspiring news reporters.

Posted by: Ameobi | June 20, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

We think we have it bad with Emilio, Barrett can't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 yards.
Very happy with Chicago losing another last night. Watching other eastern conference teams lose makes me sleep like a baby!

Posted by: Dadryan | June 20, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Why is the likes of Barrett getting a look by BB over Kenny Cooper?????
Posted by: FCD Brad | June 20, 2008 9:44 AM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Perhaps from his past as an MLS manager, Bradley has tried to avoid pulling players out of MLS matches for USMNT games. Cooper plays this weekend Barrett doesn't

Posted by: emanon | June 20, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

--------------

Dallas has a league match this weekend, Chicago does not. That's the only reason Barrett received a call-up.

Posted by: Goff | June 20, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Brad, I'm confident Cooper will get his due at some point, so I wouldn't worry. I've been hoping for him since before his injury last year.

MLS is very even this year -- the teams that were up in April are down now, and vice-versa.

Posted by: RK | June 20, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I know nothing of French football. What kind of a team is Rennes?

Posted by: Dan in FL | June 20, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Chad Barrett has only ever been awful. his play at the U20s in Holland a couple years ago was abysmal.

I don't know how Blanco can stand to play with someone who wastes so many perfect setups. Truly awful.

Posted by: pat | June 20, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe after all this time we do not 1) have a definite stadium plan and 2) started construction on it. If there is ANY team in MLS that deserves a nice home its DC United. I am so upset Fenty duped us on his promise for a stadium. Now MLS has to continue losing money on the antiquated RFK and deal with it. No news is bad news on this front.

Posted by: Felix | June 20, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

To Dan in FL

Rennes is a perennial mid-table finisher in League 1. I follow them from the US because my friend lives there. They have a pretty solid squad and sometimes make it into the UEFA cup. Most of the time it seems like their hot young prospects get picked up by bigger clubs-- most recently it was their goalie Petr Cech...

Personally, I'm pretty psyched.

Posted by: ChrisK018 | June 20, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

>Barrett can't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 yards.

Sadly his finishing is actually worse than that sometimes. This last game was definitely not unusual. Barrett has proven over and over again that it is indeed possible to miss goals that I have thought impossible to miss.

When Barrett got that chance on an open goal, before he even shot it, I told my wife I would only give him a 50/50 chance of hitting it. Any other striker in the world I would give a 90% chance. Sure enough he missed.

After repeatedly and consistently proving how poor his finishing is, I can't believe he's still starting for the Fire--much less getting called in to the National Team.

Posted by: austin | June 20, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Great move for Boca. European Football ftw.

Posted by: strago | June 20, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

This is the same Chad Barrett who taunted the Barra after scoring vs. DC in the playoffs last year, yes? Watching him muff sitters just makes me seem all kinds of warm and happy. I was going to suggest they change the RFK urinal cakes from Blanco to Barrett this year, but maybe it's not worth it?

Posted by: Jim D. | June 20, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

wouldn't be crazy if the B team lost by eight points in barbados?
I'm hopeful that Emo will clean up the mess Barrett, makes.
Did anyone else notice him throw in the ol' Blanco lighting strike at the end of his Karate Dance last night?
Almost as entertaining as the goaal itself.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 20, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | June 20, 2008 9:52 AM
==========
They said he was filling in for Harks. Although I like him better than those two. He is the kind of voice American listensers need, I think.

Posted by: td | June 20, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Re: Tampa - Ray is rested a ready to go... (Hudson, of course)

RE: Carlos at Fulham - Hodgson made it clear - he liked him but simply could not afford to have a 5'11" centerback in todays Premiership, so he went out and got a 6"5" replacement for him.

Posted by: congguy | June 20, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

ChrisK018

I couldnt agree with you more about Rennes. they did finish 4th this season in ligue 1. i think this is the perfect spot for boca to go. Its the kind of team that he'll fit in well with. and yes Rennes is one of those bridge teams where the younger players can go to better leagues and bocas experience can really help some players out.

Posted by: fisty | June 20, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Found a Bocanegra quote on the communication breakdown with Roy Hodgson before leaving Fulham:

"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

Later in the article on Fulham's offer, Boca said.

"No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."

Posted by: AM | June 20, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

The Barrett thing is pretty baffling as Chicago seems to have some other forwards who are not bad. But I am certainly not complaining.

The results really have been falling our way. Chicago loses to a Western team and NE ties with NJ. I just hope we don't take SJ too lightly on Sunday. At least there are thunderstorms in the forecast so we should have our preferred weather.

Posted by: Glenn | June 20, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Barrett doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the National squad.

Posted by: delantero | June 20, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Hope Solo was quoted as saying:

"I would have saved Barrett's shot, had he put it on frame."

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 20, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Ridiculous game last night. How could Chicago put FOUR strikers on the pitch and not notch a single goal??? As a DCU supporter, I say that with a smile on my face...

Posted by: Juan-John | June 20, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

anybody know of a good place to watch soccer in boston? i'm up here for an internship so looking for a spot for the games this weekend. I unfortunately miss out on the weekday games :(

Posted by: ngu | June 20, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I just don't get how/why Barret is so highly rated when it seems every time I see him he chokes.

As a few people have already pointed out why Barret over Rolfe or Cooper?

The other thing is what is going on in Dallas? The new coaching staff could very well be the biggest disaster in MLS history. I have my doubts they will survive the year. The Dallas fans deserve better.

Last night's MLS game was very entertaining. Even my brother, who was visiting from out of town plays soccer but doesn't follow MLS, was quite impressed.

Posted by: Nick | June 20, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Tampa Tribune on the return of the Rowdies:

Now if we could only get the New York Cosmos name back in circulation...and hmmm, wonder if Chivas USA could be bought from Vergara and rebranded as the Los Angeles Aztecs?

(The only downside to all that would be critics and soccer haters quipping, "now this really IS the NASL all over again...")

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 20, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Barrett doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the National squad.

Posted by: delantero | June 20, 2008 11:21 AM

Even as a boot boy, a ball boy, no? Now that's mean man, that's just mean.

Posted by: Kosh | June 20, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

NY Cosmos has some inherent value to the name.

The LA Aztecs name is worth as much as the Miami Sol.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 20, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

If the FIRE thought that TFC was hard to deal with for the McBride situation, they have no idea how tough things will be now if Barrett's name is anywhere near the player swap deal after yesterday's performance.

Now that's how you screw up...

1. You waste two gilt-edge chances in a game that your side lost 2-0.
2. So basically you were huge in costing them a point.
3. The you go on to screw-up whatever trade discussions your team was making to bring in a DP.

Is that like some kind of strange hat-trick?

Posted by: Kosh | June 20, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

ngu, the main place I know of in the Boston area for soccer viewing is the Phoenix Landing, a small, dark, bar/restaurant in Cambridge. You can take the T to Central Square. It often gets crowded for these Euro matches, so if you want a seat you might try to arrive early, otherwise standing room only. I've been surprised since moving up here that Boston doesn't have many soccer bars compared to DC. I was really spoiled in DC. Of course given the large Italian and Portuguese populations, I'm sure there are plenty of hang-outs I just don't know about.

Posted by: Ricky B | June 20, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Paul | June 20, 2008 9:19 AM
----------------------------------------------

I don't get it -- unless the picture's been changed -- that is Bocanegra getting congrats from another Fulham player.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 20, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

That's a new picture.

Posted by: RK | June 20, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 20, 2008 11:58 AM
--------------------------------------------

I'm a NYer who rooted for the Rowdies - thrilled to have that team back. At some point, when the league finally adds that team in Queens, they do need to bring back the Cosmos name -- which belongs in the city, anyway...not Jersey. As for the guy who now owns the rights to the name, I'm sure someone can make him an offer he can't refuse....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 20, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

thanks ricky b, i'm living on memorial drive in cambridge, so thats not too far from me

Posted by: ngu | June 20, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I am NOT proud of my country for calling up Chad Barrett.

Posted by: Michelle Obama | June 20, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"If there is ANY team in MLS that deserves a nice home its DC United. "

I've been refraining from reacting to this sort of thing lately, but the level of delusion and entitlement in this comment begs for ridicule.

Had Macfarlane not been asking for significant public expediture for "infrastructure" or whatever, and been willing to pay for all stadium-related costs out of his own pocket, public money would not be the stumbling block that it has become. So really, blame your owners for that one, rather than playing the victim.

And other teams have MORE pressing needs for stadiums. DC at least can get around the break-even point now, financially. But "our supporters feel that we are the BEST and we DESERVE the BEST" is garbage.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | June 20, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

But MJ our fan's are the Best and we do Deserve the Best!
Vamos United!

Posted by: Dadryan | June 20, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

MJ, you're obsessed, my friend. Let it go.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 20, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ngu | June 20, 2008 11:46 AM
========================================

Here in the D.C. area, I've found that almost any Irish pub will serve your purposes. (Yesterday, I saw Germany-Portugal at Ireland's Four Provinces in the center of Falls Church.) Surely there is no shortage of such establishments in the Boston area.

Posted by: tri-village | June 20, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 20, 2008 12:58 PM
--------------------------------------
Repped, repped, and repped again!!!

The Borough Boys need to see this post---THIS is why association football needs to be in the Greatest City in the World. Good on ya, FF. MLS2NYC ASAP!

Rowdies supporters down here are counting the days until the start of next season.

After that, we're looking forward to that first presesason friendly between the newly installed NYC FC and our D1 Tampa Bay Rowdies---it'll be like the summer of '76 all over again.

Soccer is, in fact, the new rock-and-roll.

Posted by: Rowdies fan in Orlando | June 20, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Point of order: what does "repped" mean?

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 20, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Keep an eye on Bielsa's Chile. El Loco has been doing a great job with a very average type of player. The Chileans have a lower than average soccer tournament, yet Bielsa has taken Chile into the fourth place of he general qualifiers, higher than Brazil.
Tough games in September for Chile though, Brazil and Colombia, well see if they are up to the challenge

Posted by: Loco Bielsa | June 20, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Point of order: what does "repped" mean?

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 20, 2008 2:17 PM

Comes from BigSoccer, where you can get positive (or negative) "reputation" scores for your postings and comments.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 20, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse