Morning Kickaround

On this sunny morning in the nation's capital, as we mourn the loss of a comedic legend and savor his famed American football/baseball routine, plenty of international football to discuss.....

*With the USA Olympic women's squad set, we now await the 18-man men's roster. The FIFA deadline is July 23, and with the addition of three overage players adding a wrinkle, U-23 Coach Peter Nowak and national team coach Bob Bradley will have to make some difficult decisions. Keep in mind that, during the Olympics in August, the senior squad has a World Cup qualifier at Guatemala and players in transition with their new Euro clubs might not want to participate. The latest buzz is that forward Brian McBride, a goalkeeper (either Kasey Keller or Brad Guzan) and a defender (how about Jimmy Conrad?) will join the younger players in China. McBride would pair with Freddy Adu or Jozy Altidore up front (if Altidore is on the team), Keller or Guzan would start because Chris Seitz does not play regularly in MLS, and a defender is badly needed after Jonathan Spector dropped from consideration with a hip injury. Other top U-23 candidates include Maurice Edu, Michael Bradley, Sacha Kljestan, Stuart Holden, Michael Orozco, Dax McCarty, Nathan Sturgis, Marvell Wynne and Eddie Gaven. [update -- let's add Kamani Hill, Robbie Findley, Charlie Davies, Robbie Rogers and Benny Feilhaber into the mix, as well.] Thoughts?

*The U.S. Open Cup continues tonight with second-round matches. Click here for the comprehensive previews.

*A Poplar Point update, DCU zaniness from the Sports Bog, and your favorite soccer blogger on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" tonight between 5 and 6 p.m. (replay at 11).

Back later with DCU news and notes.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 24, 2008; 8:44 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Women's Olympic Roster Set
Next: No New Tale to Tell

Comments

Robbie Rogers and Arturo Alvarez have to be back in consideration, no?

Posted by: Marc | June 24, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Forget Poplar Point, build it in RFK's parking lot.

Just say No to New Carrolton.

Posted by: delantero | June 24, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Ridiculous Fisher article. If planned and constructed properly, the effect that a stadium would have on the river itself would be a net positive.

That paragraphe about the flower garden and nursery is the most appalling in the article. I suspect that when used for cultivation, runoff put the biomass of the river at its alltime low.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | June 24, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

How has Maurice Edu played for the US this year? He hasn't played very well for TFC and some of us wouldn't be upset if he was sold to a european club. Actually, some of us are shocked that he was called to the national team with the season he's had so far

Posted by: DigzTFC | June 24, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

goff...any word on attendence for Sunday?

Posted by: Piney O | June 24, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

@Piney O:

More than a little, less than a lot.

Posted by: Section 130 | June 24, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

This doesn't rise my ire towards Maryland but my ire towards the fools who are so wrapped up in the environment. If it stays as Parkland or the city has to pay to clean it up to what they want out of it - it's going to cost a TON more to achieve that and it will NEVER generate any revenue to offset those costs.

Either way - the areas that taxpayers are so concerned about lack of funding for will lose in two directions.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 24, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

McBride will be a fine choice, as will Keller.

I'd choose Bocanegra over Conrad as Bocanegra can play d mid and on the flank.

Posted by: delantero | June 24, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

if eddie gaven makes our olympic team we are in trouble. He has played maybe 5 good matches in the last 2 seasons. robbie rogers needs to be added in what should be a no brainer.

Posted by: brandon | June 24, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I want a stadium in DC as much as the next guy, but environmental concerns are legitimate whenever you're talking about waterfront development. If it's true that the stadium can be built in a way that actually improves the environment and takes care of any toxics issues, then let's do it. If it will degrade the watershed or keep it from improving, find another site. I like soccer, but I like crabs and oysters too, and those are going to disappear if we don't get control of the pollution in this watershed.

Posted by: philofutbol | June 24, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

OT, but for those who didn't read the womens thread because women can't play, check out this catch by the ball girl at a snoozeball game. . . .

PS -- Greenbelt will be nice, you'll see!!

Posted by: OWNTF | June 24, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for trying to do what you can for the environment, but the enviros in the suit are acting like the gov is trying to ruin a very popular park. I can only imagine the frustration for DCU. I don't want the team to be in Maryland, and I'm sure that's not the teams first choice either, but if I were the owners I think this would just be enough to seal the deal: Maryland Suburbs United!

Posted by: downtown | June 24, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I lost track of Feilhaber. Is he injured? Would he be over-age?

Posted by: Ben | June 24, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

i'd say yes to mcbride and conrad, but no keller please. i thought he looked quite poor in copa america. if we are going to bring along an old keeper then get brad friedel to come out of retirement maybe...

Posted by: dfunkt | June 24, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

@DigzTFC:

Edu has actually played very well for the US this year. Most would like to see him starting I think.

Posted by: Tom | June 24, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I will punch the next Green Peace person or Global Warming troll on K Street I pass.

Jimmy Conrad is a top notch choice for the Olympics. That guy deserves a chance at a medal and would be a great Olympian and representative for this country. Although, I'm sure ESPN or someone would want him to blog from China and then he might get carried off by the censors.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 24, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Come on Steve give us the good stuff...yep the Ladies of Euro 2008.

Posted by: Tweaked | June 24, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Poplar point looks doomed. Where's DC United's PR dept? They're getting outplayed in the media; none of the negative stories are offset by anything positive out of the DCU camp. Come on, manufacture some news! Spin! Its the American Way...

Posted by: Gburg | June 24, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter if they make sense or not, these lawsuits delay the process and I wonder how long MLS will be patient with DC United.

Posted by: Mayor Fenty | June 24, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

The time for slow-dancing with the warring factions of Greek city-states otherwise known as DC Government must to end. If we can't get an immediate answer on a location (such as RFK's parking lot), then go for New Carrolton. DC had its numerous chances and blew them all. Move on!

Posted by: Section 304 | June 24, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

VA Blue Blood,
Too funny, I read your comment while waiting for my bus at Farragut West....I looked around but didn't see any Green Peacers.

Hopefully there will be room for tailgating in Greenbelt...

Posted by: tim | June 24, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

PG United! CLAP CLAP CLAP PG United!

Posted by: Beltwayrob | June 24, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

By the way, I find it funny that this Fisher article and the anti-stadium column in last weekend's Outlook use photos taken at the best possible angle; they actually make a fenced-off, weedy, superfund site look lush and inviting. Gee, I think I'll take the family down there for a picnic this weekend. With my minesweeper gear, of course.

Posted by: Gburg | June 24, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I just want to put out a statement to other readers so you all don't think I'm as insensitive and illogical as I sound at times.

I want what's best for the club. If that's anywhere in PG County - that's fine. I'll find a way to rearrange my life to deal with the added commute so long as what the build is a carbon copy of VW Arena in Wolfsburg.

I'd just prefer we all get together in DC for the next 50 years.

I still really dislike enviro terrorists.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 24, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff... Any updates on ticket sales for Sunday's LA games?

Posted by: kris | June 24, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Next up, the PETA lawsuit to prevent the loss of the rat habitat at Poplar point.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 24, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I find myself hoping that Nowak DOESN'T take a goalkeeper to the Olympics. I know that's what the team did in 2000, and I know that Seitz isn't getting minutes with RSL. But I think this U-23 team could use 3 solid field players to round out the roster. Seitz is good. Cervi keeps getting called in to camp with the Nats (although I thought he looked shaky in Tampa during Olympic qualifying). I'd like to see Conrad, Mastroeni, and McBride go to China.

GK (2) - Seitz, Cervi
D (5) - Conrad, Sturgis, Wynne, Orozco, Freeman
M (8) - Mastroeni, Feilhaber, Bradley, Edu, McCarty, Kljestan, Holden, Rogers
F (3) - McBride, Altidore, Adu

Mastroeni and Edu can play in the back, if need be.

Posted by: DWE4 | June 24, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I am all in favour of a nice, public, wide open waterfront park at Poplar Point. I am also a supporter of the Anacostia Riverkeeper and Sierra Club (and I used to work for Greenpeace)

of course, that's not going to happen. such a project would cost the city just as much money (people don't actually like WILD parks, especially in the city, the like nice green spaces (along the lines of Haines Point) with swingsets and pools and benches and the like. if Nats Park can be built LEED certified, then any development at Poplar Point should be as well. by integrating excellent stormwater management, green roofs and open space, a development would actually probably increase the health of the river from what is there now.

and a second point (of three, sorry) bringing people to the Anacostia, which is, in essence, an invisible river to much of the DC population will increase pressure on the entire watershed to work on cleaning up the Anacostia. raise your hand if you have seen the River from closer than the bridge? anyone? it's a hidden river, combining smart development with the currently occuring development on the other side of the river is essential to raising the profile of the health of the river (guess what? people really hate it when their neighborhoods smell like, well, excrement, in the summer. Rich people tend to have the clout to get such things fixed. sad, but true.

thirdly: development is going to happen. if not there, then farther out of the urban core, increasing the load on other rivers, such as the Potomac as well as destroying more greenspace per unit. we need to make reasonable tradeoffs, people want housing and retail, there is a demand for commercial space. Anacostia needs it all. this is actually a win-win for the city, we need the tax base and resulting people before they head straight for Vienna.

Posted by: northzax | June 24, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

30k for the LA game so far.

Posted by: RK | June 24, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

No way you can take Mastro as an overage player if you take Bradley and Edu. That means your top 3 D-mids are all away with the Olympic team rather than with the senior national team during a WCQ in Guatemala.

Posted by: Ryan | June 24, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

That's too bad that Seitz doesn't get regular game time, I think he's good enough to go, and if we aren't getting Howard, I hate to burn a slot on either Guz or Keller.

McBride on the team is a dream come true, and I think with Spector down we need to use both on defense, Cherundolo on the right and then one of our big CB's.

Posted by: eric | June 24, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I lost track of Feilhaber. Is he injured? Would he be over-age?

Posted by: Ben | June 24, 2008 9:38 AM
++++++++++++++++++
Yes and No

Posted by: emanon | June 24, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

The overage pool was established back in March and those players have been part of the pool for drug testing specifically for the Olympics. There can't be any late add on's so don't look for key guys that are involved in WC Qualifing. Gooch and Boca are not part of the pool for selection.

Posted by: tex | June 24, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Seitz isn't getting regular time in MLS, yet he starts all our youth international games. Any team in the world need a good keeper? Can't think of one. It's great that our future MNT keeper is riding the bench in MLS.

Posted by: LTJ | June 24, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Well said, northzax. I agree that development done right will be a boon to the area that even environmentalists will applaud. And parkland by itself is appealing on the surface but unless there is something else drawing the residents to that area than the parkland will gradually deteriorate and go unused.

Posted by: voyager | June 24, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

My vote is for Conrad ... love his leadership.

Please, no Keller. Guzan would be great.

Posted by: United fan in TN | June 24, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"raise your hand if you have seen the River from closer than the bridge?"

These are United fans you're talking to... we pee into the river on a bi-weekly basis :-)

Posted by: Kev | June 24, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I find myself hoping that Nowak DOESN'T take a goalkeeper to the Olympics.
======================================

Now that would be an interesting line-up

Posted by: Mysterian | June 24, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Whatever Olympic selections that will least impact the qualifying campaign and MLS will be fine with me.

Posted by: Kev | June 24, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

LTJ: I can think of a team that needs a keeper...

Posted by: northzax | June 24, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I'll say the same thing here that I did in a comment on the Fisher column:
Count me as another environmentalist who is appalled by this lawsuit. Environmentalism and development do not have to be opposed. In fact, developing an area that is close to the urban core and well served by transit would actually be better for the environment then pushing that development out to the suburbs, which will increase driving and the infrastructure footprint of the whole project. This is shameful.

Posted by: DCBird | June 24, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for highlighting the US Open Cup. It is a great tournament that just needs recognition.

Posted by: James | June 24, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Alexi Lalas is right now working on figuring out if he gets Bush to swear him in, if Beckham can play for Team USA and grow the Galaxy brand in China. England doesn't have a team so surely it wouldn't affect his National Team standing.

Totally Kidding.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 24, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I think that DC United gave up on Poplar Point a while back and have been moving forward with Maryland behind the scenes. They're only keeping the debate open to appear as though they're still interested in working with the City.

McFarlan's requesting more public funding from the City, only made this point clearer. The sooner the Club can move out of the City, the easier it will be for them to grow. It's a shame that it has to happen, but the City will fight something just because they can, not because it should.

The whole Environmental arguement is a mute point. The Anacostia and Poplar Point are poluted. No suprise there. But, guess what leads to cleaning it up? Development. Poplar Point will get developed. But it won't include a stadium.

Posted by: TCompton | June 24, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Is that July 23 deadline correct? If it is, then Sundhage jumped the gun by four weeks. My understanding is that the deadline for both the men's and women's competition is 30 days before the fun begins; i.e., in early July. (Even at that, Pia jumped the gun by two weeks.) I'm looking at Article 10 of the regs at:

Posted by: tri-village | June 24, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

What about just re-developing RFK?

Have DCU move to, dunno, College Park for a year while RFK is refurbished and redeveloped.

Posted by: Vic | June 24, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

McBride, Keller should just stay retired and give the opportunity to other players. Three overage players should be, Donovan, Bocanegra, and Mastroeni. I know there is the game against Guatemala, but if the U.S. can not beat guatemala without Donovan, well they dont deserve to even qualify.

Posted by: JAV | June 24, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tex | June 24, 2008 10:34 AM
=========================================

This is the first I've heard of an official overage pool as such. Where can we find a list of the players in this pool?

Posted by: tri-village | June 24, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Why isn't the RFK site a serious possibility? Isn't that on/near/in Capitol Hill, which I thought was becoming a revitalized part of town? Plus, there's a metro stop right there?

Posted by: Dan in FL | June 24, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Just what we need, another guy who wouldn't pass to Freddy...

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 24, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

For the RFK re-development folks... Not even remotely possible. The city/sports commission is not shy about their desire to get the Redskins back into a super stadium on that site...

Plus, RFK would have to stay under the control of the city/sports commission and is not authorized for other development (residential/commercial). Thus leaving it useless for United's needs - controlling the revenue and profiting with side development. A new stadium for United there would just provide a shiny version of their old, bad deal.

Posted by: Kev | June 24, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I think there is no need to take an overaged keeper, because Seitz is good goalkeeper. He and Cervi should be good enough. Here is my roster:

Keeper:Seitz, Cervi
Denfense: Bocanegra, Stugis, Orozco, Wynne, Hill, Freeman
Midfield: Edu, Rogers, Bradley, Mastroeni, Holden, Shacha
Forwards: Donovan, Adu, Altidore, Davies

Posted by: JAV | June 24, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dan in FL | June 24, 2008 11:22 AM
-------------------------------------------
The only reason Vic MacFarlane ever even bought this team was so that he could make a boatload of money off of developing the land around a new stadium. Development is how he made his fortune.

Even if they owned the stadium itself, the team wouldn't own the land it was built on if they built at RFK. The DC Stadium Authority owns the stadium and that land, and have clearly decided to milk the team for everything they're worth before shutting down RFK for good. It wouldn't make any sense for the stadium authority to make a land deal to help remove its best tenant from one of its properties.

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | June 24, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

One more vote for redeveloping RFK sight!
The Implosion of RFK would draw a larger crowd than Beckham!
I lived in Seattle when they dropped the King Dome to rebuild two of the most Awesome stadiums around. The public was skeptical with those plans but you'd probably have a hard time finding anyone in Seattle who isn't pleased with the results these days.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 24, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Site not sight, sorry nerds.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 24, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I think we've been over all of this before. RFK is actually on land owned by the federal gov't I believe. Developing that land would require their approval which will move even slower than the District does. Plus I think MacFarlane's plan all along was to buy the team as a way to get development rights so that in addition to building a stadium that will be a money drain he can build offices, retail, housing that will make him money. Just redeveloping RFK itself doesn't achieve that objective. RFK is more or less in a residential district. There isn't a whole lot of space in that neighborhood to do the kind of development that the owners want to do.

Posted by: Glenn | June 24, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, the term is "moot point" not "mute point."

Sorry about that. But Weingarten would understand.

Posted by: viv | June 24, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Those who are suggesting players like Guzan, Donovan, Bocanegra for the Olympic team forget--we're in WC Qualifying. Effectively, our top 25-28 NT players are NOT serious candidates for the Olympics--they can't be.

So instead we need to look at guys who aren't likely to get WCQ minutes or those who are retired.

Keller is a great choice. He can win a game by himself. And for a team that will be out-skilled by a number of opponents, that's inspirational. McBride is a superb team leader who makes those around him better. I can't see taking Mastroeni. Not only is he over-rated but central mid (Edu, Bradley and others) is not a weakspot on the team. I think we need to take another defender (Conrad is a good choice) or perhaps an attacker. I like Roger's potential as well as Feilhaber's. But at this point you're taking guys who are playing well and will be team leaders. I don't see that with Feilhaber--his choices (to go overseas, stay at Hamburg, then go to the Prem) were mostly about money, not PT and it's going to cost him (and possibly the USA) because he does not deserve and isn't currently good enough to make our NT or start for our Olympic side. Adu is the only guy who is in the current NT mix that I'd nominate for our Olympic team. He isn't in danger of being overworked (out of season and not much PT with Benfica recently), he's in form (his NT camps and play), it would be great developmentally for him, I bet he'd want to do it to prepare for the upcoming Euro season. The negatives would be losing him for some NT prep/games.

Posted by: Joe Willmore | June 24, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Nothing like watching a game at Poplar Park with a 5% chance someone will step on a landmine.

One good jump by the Barra Brava and the whole section could go up like the drummer from Spinal Tap.

New DC Stadium or next US World Cup - which comes first?

Posted by: AM | June 24, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tex
---------------------

interesting. got a copy of that pool list handy?

Posted by: troy | June 24, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Steven gets some sick satisfaction over us all getting out of whack like a bunch of neurotic cats when ever any news over stadium/not stadium comes out.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 24, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Without a doubt - next World Cup comes before a new stadium does.

We'll be in RFK until 2011 at this point provided they don't blow it up for the Redskins sooner.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 24, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Zach Wells should be considered for the team.

Posted by: Robert | June 24, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Are exploding mines like smoke bombs, in that they help create an atmosphere in the stadium?

And you people are worried about thrown streamers. Hah!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 24, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 24, 2008 12:04 PM

Well at least Steve just tries to sneak in the updates then move on to something else - knowing full well it's what we'll discuss. I think he does his best to deemphasize the torture.

Posted by: Kev | June 24, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Am I talking crazy here but I think I remember McBride retiring from international play following the 06 WC.

Posted by: ef | June 24, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

This might be a dumb question, but what is United waiting for on getting rid of Franco Neill? As Senor Goff has reported many times, contracts dont become guarenteed until July 1. I don't see us keeping him, especially at the salary and don't expect a miracle to happen between now and July 1 which would lead United to keeping him.

Posted by: MeHereYouWhere? | June 24, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ef | June 24, 2008 12:24 PM
======================================

You are quite correct. McBride would have to be talked out of retirement. I don't recall any recent statements from him that would indicate how receptive he would be to an Olympic invite. Can anyone help out here?

Posted by: tri-village | June 24, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"There could be unexploded munitions on the site," Bluemel says.

------------------------------------------

I didn't realize just how perfect this site really is. Can you imagine a better place for a soccer stadium? Forget the fans tearing up the field at Shea stadium after the championship...that's child's play. If United wins a Cup there, we could dynamite the pitch....

Or, if Beckham is about to strike a decisive free kick, crafty fans could explode a buried device and totally mess up the attempt...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 24, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Pablo. He doesn't belong on the National Team or the Olympic team.

Posted by: Please No | June 24, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Once DC United builds a new stadium in MD what will Fisher do? The only hits he ever gets on his column are when we respond to his anti-soccer rhetoric so once that's gone who is going to care about him?

Maybe you could take him on as your secretary?

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 24, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: northzax | June 24, 2008 10:20 AM
-----------------------------------------

I hate to give anybody credit, but northzax is spot on. The project would generate real momentum towards cleaning up the Anacostia. City revenues should go to that aim.

It's not a question of park land versus stadium + development. It's about doing both, where neither really exists now. The environmental groups' action is misguided. Most of the development should be shifted away from the park, to preserve and rehabilitate as much of the park as possible.

However, there is a Metro parking garage and station entrance right at the edge of the park. This means that the most environmentally-friendly and efficient use would be to encourage some development close to the metro, even into current parkland. The DC United stadium must be located adjacent to a Metro stop. Any other location would be a net negative for the environment.

Some version of the Poplar Point project will be needed to create public demand to clean up the Anacostia. Without that demand, the river will remain a blight on the city, as will Poplar Point. The soccer stadium will only raise the profile and increase chances of success for the whole endeavor, including the clean-up of the park and the river.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 24, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I do believe that the major polluter of the Anacostia is the District's sewer system. When the system is overwhelmed (regularly) by rain, the Anacostia becomes DC's toilet.

Correcting that infrastructure problem will cost a thousand million dollars. Any environmental argument that does not address this overflow is specious.

What does the Sierra Club have to say about that, I wonder?? Also, it makes me wonder what is the ulterior agenda of these various "green" organizations?

Posted by: GrillMaster | June 24, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Without a doubt - next World Cup comes before a new stadium does.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 24, 2008 12:06 PM
-------------------------------------------

The question, my dear Watson, is when the next World Cup comes to the United States, and whether United will still be in RFK then.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Grillmaster, you're dead on.

Posted by: RK | June 24, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful parkland instead of a stadium? What a joke! The so called "park" will become a paradise for vagrants, winos and junkies in no time at all. Add to that the extra benefit of absolutely no revenue for the city and you have the perfect storm. All these green weenies need to go back to the high sierra and stay there.

Posted by: Green Hornet - DC | June 24, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

"Beautiful parkland instead of a stadium? What a joke! The so called "park" will become a paradise for vagrants, winos and junkies in no time at all."

Can someone give me directions, por favor?

Posted by: Diego Maradona | June 24, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

What does the Sierra Club have to say about that, I wonder??

Posted by: GrillMaster | June 24, 2008 1:33 PM
================

DC residents should be environmentally conscious and hold it during periods of rain.

Posted by: Sierra (no Soccer) Club | June 24, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh I hope they don't leave Sean Franklin behind. That would be a mighty big mistake.

Posted by: Brian | June 24, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | June 24, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

With regard to that video clip from Fresno, there is, um, a backstory:

Posted by: tri-village | June 24, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Its only 44 days out and no team announced. Thats scary. If Coach Nowak ignores Robbie Rogers again it will be ridiculous. Edu is having a terrible year at Toronto but seems to play well at the National level. I would consider Holder for A mid. I like Gaven but due to his performance and now an injury should not even be in the running.

Posted by: Tom | June 24, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Its only 44 days out and no team announced.
===========================================

Is there some advantage to committing yourself before you have to? Waiting another two weeks means decisions based on an additional two weeks' worth of information.

Posted by: tri-village | June 24, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

For those doubting McBrides possible Olympic team spot:

Posted by: glove | June 24, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Brian,good catch on Sean Franklin. He should be in the mix.

I'd like to see Neven Subotic called in. He just transferred to Borussia Dortmund for 3.5 million Euros and he's only 19.

He's also eligible to play for Bosnia and Herzegovina, so maybe he's holding out for a callup from their senior side.

Posted by: Paul | June 25, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse