Morning Kickaround

Top of the morning, lads.

A variety of tasty items to share.....

*Let's start with my United story in the print edition. Nothing you don't already know, but worth a read, nonetheless.

*Chelsea really likes Raleigh.

*Because of a scheduling conflict, the Red Bulls' U.S. Open Cup match Tuesday at Crystal Palace Baltimore will not be at UMBC Stadium, a college facility near BWI Airport. Instead, they'll have to travel to Broadneck High School in Annapolis. Click here for all the details.

So on the same night in the Free State, the fine folks of Montgomery County will have the opportunity to see D.C. United at the Maryland SoccerPlex, while Anne Arundel County citizens can get a look at the Red Bulls. What sits between Montgomery and Anne Arundel? Why, Prince George's County, of course. And we all know who will be playing there regularly in a couple years. ;-)

*The potential Open Cup quarterfinal matchups and venues have been determined. If DCU advances, they'll host Chicago or Cleveland (USL2) on July 8 at the SoccerPlex. Read about it here.

*DCU captain Jaime Moreno will appear on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" today between 5 and 6 p.m.

*Oh yeah, that European Championship thing. Quite a match yesterday, eh? Too bad the TV transmission problems prevented us from seeing much of the spellbinding second half. Don't feel bad: The ESPN announcers, sitting in a studio in Connecticut, didn't see it either. Awk-ward. Today's match: Russia-Spain, 2:30 ET on ESPN2.

*Liga of Ecuador stomps Fluminense of Brazil, 4-2, in the first leg of the Copa Libertadores finals. Read about it here, watch the goals down there:

By Steve Goff  |  June 26, 2008; 6:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU Reserves Win
Next: No, No, Niell

Comments

Zzzzzzzz...

Posted by: DCU_Rick | June 26, 2008 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Remember Chelsea is the "Official Professional Soccer Club of Disney's Wide World of Sports®." They are certainly trying to get more support in the US.

Posted by: wmsiii | June 26, 2008 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Goff, great work as always. Also, I love coming into work at 7 and seeing a Insider update right away! Keep it up!

Posted by: strago | June 26, 2008 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Now it's even more convenient for me to dislike CASL and Chelsea.

Posted by: sitruc | June 26, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

FYI -Carlos Bocanegra has joined Ligue 1 club Rennes on a three-year contract.

Posted by: bobf | June 26, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Bobf,

The Bocanegra signing has been out there for a few days now.

Posted by: J | June 26, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

It is great for CASL to have the support of an organization that is so supportive of developing from within.

Maybe this will cause ESPN to send announcers to the semis of Poland 2012. I understand not sending them to the earlier rounds but the two days off gave a perfect opportunity to have them fly in for the last 3 games.

The four-letter network did make some amends by showing the entire second half on ESPN Classic at 9 last night. What a fun 15 minutes.

Posted by: Mark M | June 26, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

To ESPN's credit, it's probably pretty hard to send announcers to the games. Most channels around the world that air the game do the commentary in their own studio.

Posted by: GoNYforDCU | June 26, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Nice article on United.
Thanks for your objectivity, and keeping it about our team and not making it into a Beckham puff piece.
I agree with Strago, you're the first thing I look for on the 'net every morning.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Nice article on United.

Posted by: Doug Dobey | June 26, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

To ESPN's discredit, they employ Julie Foudy to provide color commentary at the studio desk. She's awful!

Posted by: DE | June 26, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

@DE,

So is Emmitt Smith.

So is John Kruk.

So is Colin Cowherd.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 26, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

woohoo......us open cup action at my old high school!

NAPTOWN!

Posted by: captain | June 26, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I know this has been asked a thousand times but I forget the answer, why do they not play OC games at RFK?

So much for me going to the CP / RB match. I'm not going to Annapolis.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

@ Virginia Blue Blood

Who the hell is Colin Cowherd? Also I see where you are going with that pattern at ESPN...they have no eye for talent.

We need Conrad to hurry up and retire so he can go into their studio or put him into the booth and move Harkes to the studio.

I know they think Foudy is "handsome" and she won a world cup but she has no business talking in front of a camera.

Posted by: Matthai | June 26, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

""*Liga of Ecuador stomps Fluminense of Brazil, 4-2, "" @ 9300 feet up!!

I wonder if those two goals will be enough for the return leg at sea level.

Li Li Li, Ga Ga Ga UNIVERSITARIA!!!

Posted by: delantero | June 26, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I'll disagree about Foudy and do so respectfully. She says fewer dumb things / minute of airtime than 75% of ESPN's sports desk 'talent'. Decent observations about the game, doesn't get silly, and has no need to shout about how great she was.

If only more ESPN heads were like that it would be more tolerable.

Posted by: JkR | June 26, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@Matthai,

They do - sometimes they get it so right, it's scary.

Examples: Scott Van Pelt, PTI, Mike Tirico

But they struggle in trying to find some people some time.

But with soccer - unfortunately it's a wasteland of almost but not quite or total disasters in the booth. Foudy's not the best - but she's not Balboa, she's not Dave O'Brien, and she's certainly not Alexi Lalas. And while I have no interest in the women's game, I can appreciate that she does a decent job in front of the camera and is a decorated athlete.

And if you don't know who Cowherd is, don't try to find out. If you think some people are negative ranters - you'll want to jump off your building after him.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 26, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

So, the owner of the Rhinos says he bid $50,000 for the DCU game tuesday night and lost the bid. Will DCU sell out the 3200 seat championship stadium at the soccerplex?

United's owners are surely taking the hit on this one and the next round.

Posted by: Drew-ROC | June 26, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Top of the morning, lads and lassies.

Posted by: tri-village | June 26, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Will DCU sell out the 3200 seat championship stadium at the soccerplex?

United's owners are surely taking the hit on this one and the next round.

Posted by: Drew-ROC | June 26, 2008 9:48 AM

I think that match will be a sell-out, or very close to it. At $25 a pop as well - not cheap, so I guess they're trying to recoup losses/break even/make some cash.

Posted by: Kev | June 26, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Arshavin off to Barcelona later this summer, rumor has it...

Posted by: Kev | June 26, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, Tri-Village, I was feeling left out by Mr. SI.

Posted by: Karen | June 26, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, Tri-Village, I was feeling left out by Mr. SI.

Posted by: Karen | June 26, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Sorry. One of these years I will figure out when I'm supposed to double click and when I'm not.

Posted by: Karen | June 26, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice that after the second liga goal(~0:28) the fluminense lays on the ground and kicks his feet like a toddler throwing a tantrum?

Posted by: dwbpnm | June 26, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else catch a bit of the NYRBvsChivas last night on Telemundo? Double red cards.
That stadium in Phoenix sure is cool.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 26, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan you have too much time in your hands I mean watching a RedBulls game DUDE GET A JOB!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bum | June 26, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Does Broadneck High School have a Field Turf or natural surface? The natural grass fields at high schools I've seen are nothing but dirt and weeds.

Posted by: Terp | June 26, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

@Bum,

If I had a sugar momma who wanted to be the bread winner and I got to watch soccer and have free time while the sun is in the sky...

...sure, bring on house chores and kids. You can have your office politics and boss butt kissing.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 26, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Just wondering about stadium (I know.....yawn). I saw an article about the sports complex in arlington near Crystal City, and how they might be having trouble funding it. Wild idea .... Maybe they could build an aquatic center into a soccer stadium like the Olympic Stadium in Montreal. Then it might not be in DC, but would be just across the river. Any thoughts?

Posted by: Rapidan | June 26, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Kev,

Thanks for the link about Arshavin. Good to hear. Barca could use his energy.

Posted by: bribri | June 26, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

No doubt about that VirginiaBlueBlood!
Looks like a nice day for a relaxing bike ride and then another Euro match!

Posted by: Dadryan | June 26, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I wonder why CPUSA or United could not play at Marine Corps Stadium in Annapolis, Byrd Stadium, or Unitas Stadium in Towson. They must be trying to accomodate the MetroBulls' traveling fan.

Posted by: AM | June 26, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------
Terp - it's a brand new field turf surface.

Posted by: James C. | June 26, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Then it might not be in DC, but would be just across the river. Any thoughts?

Posted by: Rapidan | June 26, 2008 11:39 AM
==============

Well, as a Maryland resident I am required to complain about how much longer it would take to get the the Pentagon Metro and then having to walk across 395 to get to the park :-)
:-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 26, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Good afternoon folks... :)

Terp: Says it's FieldTurf on the Goff-provided link. Complete with gridiron lines, too.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 26, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

so...anyone see the post on Unprofessional Foul blasting Uniteds trials to get a stadium in dc...he has no idea what he is talking about...this makes me mad

Posted by: Adam | June 26, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Will DCU sell out the 3200 seat championship stadium at the soccerplex?

United's owners are surely taking the hit on this one and the next round.

Posted by: Drew-ROC | June 26, 2008 9:48 AM
---------------------------------------------

Based on experience from past United games at the Soccerplex, it will be standing room only, well in excess of 3200. You can bank on that. The only problem with that is there is no public transportation I know of -- and there will be a long line of cars at the one exit. Montgomery County loves United. If there was a promising Metro-friendly location there, I would suggest that United ought to relocate there. I'd bet the team would draw more than 18,000 on a Sunday afternoon.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 26, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rapidan | June 26, 2008 11:39 AM
===========================================

Here's the link:

The site is not large, so a new SSS, with parking lots, would probably crowd out every other use of the site, which is probably not what the county wants. Also, for a use of the site that involves events with up to 27,000 people converging on the place at one time (at least a few thousand in vehicles, even with the Crystal City and Pentagon City Metrorail stations nearby), there would probably have to be new roads. Existing parking garages at Crystal City and Pentagon City may help, but people still have to be able to get to them.

The National Park Service has not been interested in creating a new GW Parkway exit to accommodate development at Potomac Yards, about a mile to the south. Does anyone know whether the Park Service would create a new access to this proposed sports complex, with or without an SSS?

Posted by: tri-village | June 26, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Crystal City? Potomac Yards? That was considered for baseball -- but then they put the shopping center in. It's too late.

Posted by: RK | June 26, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of stadium news, Staubach recently got bought by Jones Lang Lasalle. Maybe JLL will be a little bit better at finding a spot IN the District for us to play.

Posted by: Glaucon | June 26, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

No doubt about that VirginiaBlueBlood!
Looks like a nice day for a relaxing bike ride and then another Euro match!

Posted by: Dadryan | June 26, 2008 11:47 AM

See what i mean!!! U lazy Bum while you are doing the laundry your bread winner is doing the nasty!LOL

Posted by: bum | June 26, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@VABB

I dont have a boss my old friend i run a 35k+ employee company. So i get my butt kiseed by people like you !

Posted by: bum | June 26, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

OK guys my job is done here !! Thanks for tunnig in now im going to my oldself again

Mastodon Juan

You know I Love you guys this was just a little horsing around with my favorite blog .... Dadryan you were just too easy.. sorry buddy please dont hate me .

Posted by: bum | June 26, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

@Mastodon Juan/Bum,

I doubt you work. If you do - it's Ripping Off Taxpayers, er I mean Government Consulting.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 26, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm not BUM. Though, sadly, you're right about the consulting gig. Not working for the feds right now.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | June 26, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

didn't you just hear me you stupid old fart i said i was done and perhaps you might want to not get involved in something that has nothing to do with you
I was just teasing an old friend !
I dont have to explain where i work but i can tell you that in my piggy bank i have more money than you will ever have in your lifetime..

Thanks again for tunnig in!!

Posted by: bum | June 26, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Grande LIGA!!!

Posted by: Aguinaga | June 26, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I am mad that Palace is not playing in the UMBC stadium

Posted by: Elvis | June 26, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I played in a preseason scrimmage at Broadneck once, back when it was grass. And by grass, I mean dirt. I was really hoping they hadn't changed it.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 26, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

So, is Dom Mediate taking Josh Gros' place on the roster?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | June 26, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Mr Goff,
Is the DC United v LA Galaxy game being shown on Comcast later in the Sunday evening around 11pm or later---because here in Texas the game is being preemtedted by Baptist worship until noon.
The game is supposed to start at noon, but the local station is showing a Baptist gathering until 12:00pm. So, I am asking is the game being shown on Comcast later in the day, so I can see the whole game?
If it's not a WNBA game it's this!

Posted by: Leo | June 29, 2008 2:54 AM | Report abuse