No New Tale to Tell

D.C. United has taken the day off, so not much to share, except.....

*The club was approached about right back Dan Gargan, a former Colorado starter who left pro soccer last month shortly after signing with Chivas USA, but has no plans at the moment to look at him to bolster its bench. Gargan, 25, tore a knee ligament last year. "He is an interesting player, but right now we are looking at all options," GM Dave Kasper said, declining to elaborate on United's player search.

*United is hoping reserve forward Francis Doe, whose passport was lost during Liberian national team duty, will be back at training late this week.

*Following up on this morning's Olympic reference, a few new tidbits: The team will head to Asia on July 25 for a tuneup tournament in Hong Kong. The Americans will face fellow Oly participants Ivory Coast (July 30) and Cameroon (Aug. 2) before setting up camp in Tianjin, site of their first two Group B matches against Japan Aug. 7 and the Netherlands Aug. 10. (They'll play Nigeria Aug. 13 in Beijing.)

As for player consideration, the USSF continues to pursue Jose Torres, the 20-year-old, Texas-born Pachuca midfielder who could play for the United States or Mexico.

By Steve Goff  |  June 24, 2008; 11:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Keeping It Real

Comments

Any news on tickets sales for the LA Galaxy game this Sunday?

Posted by: dcu fanatic | June 24, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Love and Rockets, nice. I never would have picked you for a Bauhaus/L&R/Tones on Tail guy.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 24, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I know its still a bit far out, but has there been any word on TV coverage for the Olympic matches?

Posted by: Addick | June 24, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

What is the deal with goth chicks trapped in soccer fanatics bodies?
I sure hope you are not influencing your kids musical tastes as much as their role models LSF...Yikes!

Posted by: Dadryan | June 24, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Tix for Sunday: 31,000 and counting...

Posted by: Goff | June 24, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Addick, I was just looking -- Beijing hasn't set any schedules yet, so NBC hasn't.

Posted by: RK | June 24, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

That's a shame about Gargan, he did well at Georgetown and Colorado and we could use some help with first team MLS defensive experience.

Posted by: danj | June 24, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"How many tickets" is the new "who is the sponsor"...

Posted by: RK | June 24, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Can Gargan play keeper?

Posted by: DCUMD | June 24, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

how many tickets sold? Go to the game and find out for yourself.

Posted by: downtown | June 24, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Any word on the new jerseys yet?

Posted by: Stuck in a time warp in Harrison | June 24, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Is Oswaldo Sanchez free?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I have news on ticket sales for the LA Galaxy game. The game is not sold out, and tickets still may be obtained by visiting the DC United website. Or call the DC United sales office, and direct your ticket requests to them...

Posted by: Karnak | June 24, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I just called -- they only have two tickets left. You better call now.

Posted by: RK | June 24, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

31,000 tickets sold? Is it a double-header with the Euro2008 final?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 24, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Is it a double-header with the Euro2008 final?
========================================

Only on the VHF version of BSPN, aka ABC.

Posted by: tri-village | June 24, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I-270: in a way, yes. DCU-LAG starts at noon and the final starts at 2:45PM.

Posted by: hoyanick | June 24, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Here's an interesting twist on citizenship issues:

Posted by: tri-village | June 24, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

If these sad sacks can get it done - so can we, right? Hopefully?

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 24, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

This is such BS, you know DCU is just going to use this as a way to inflate their attendance numbers.

What's that you say?

Posted by: Logan Circle | June 24, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

How so? LA/Beckham draws no matter where so how is this DCU trying to inflate their attendance? Euro final is not going to show at RFK. It's on ABC, the same channel who wants DCU v LA match.

Posted by: football | June 24, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

First! How many tickets sold? Any news on Poplar Point? We should have kept Gomez! Who is the sponsor? Fire Soehn!

Posted by: Hoost | June 24, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

why do we care how many tix are sold? we know it's going to be a lot. if you are thinking about not going due to the number of tix sold then don't go because they have sold a lot. if you are wondering if there will be tix available if you decide sunday morning you want to see golden balls then i suggest you buy them now cause they are selling a lot of tix!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 24, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@football | June 24, 2008 2:37 PM

Please disable the sarcasm filter on your browser.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 24, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hoost | June 24, 2008 2:42 PM
-----------------------------------------
Fire Kpene!

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | June 24, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

lalas is an @ssclown

Posted by: steve-o | June 24, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Fire Doug Logan

Posted by: S | June 24, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, why would the Fed think Bruce Arena will be able to replace Steve Sampson?

Posted by: AM | June 24, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Fire Wynalda.

Posted by: RK | June 24, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

What do you think the chances are we get Torres to commit to his birth country?

Posted by: Matthai | June 24, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

FIRE ADRIAN FENTY

...err...never mind.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 24, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused as to why the USSF is chasing after Jose Torres. We have so many midfielders. When would he ever get the opportunity to play? Is he good enough to displace any of our current midfielders? It just seems like a waste of time, now if he was a striker I'd understand.

Posted by: JC | June 24, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

He's 20 and he's that good.

Posted by: Matthai | June 24, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

and I forgot to add...we should never allow a promising young player to go to Mexico over us, especially when they were born here.

Posted by: Matthai | June 24, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it but man if your whole family was from Mexico or wherever and your folks came here to give you a better life and that life was playing professional soccer back in Mexico and not the US what would you do? Don't tell me you'd wave the stars and stripes man!!!!!!!
Especially with everything a 20 year old kid knows about the US.
He was twelve when the village idiot from texas took office... If I was him I'd play for Mexico without batting an eyelash. I'm sure he will too.
Unless he's really phyched about Obama or something I don't see it happening.
what do you think his homies @ Pachuca would say, let alone all the ladies that have to be on his jock?
A 20 year old kid playing his pro ball in for Pachuca is not US national team goods man. Bakary Soumare (sp?) is another story...

Posted by: Dadryan | June 24, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

What is the deal with illiterates trapped in soccer fanatics bodies?
I sure hope you are not influencing your kids education as much as their role models DR...Yikes!

Posted by: LSF | June 25, 2008 1:59 AM | Report abuse

Good thing I live in North Arlington. I think my kid will do just fine.
Besides my problem isn't reading, it's my grammar that I generally blame on no further schooling after getting my highschool diploma and all the drugs I took trying to emulate my role models.
I can read just fine. I just can't spell worth a crap anymore.
Good comeback though, I just couldn't help myself when you started sounding like my wife and her girlfriends. Bauhaus?
No hard feelings dude.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 25, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Love and Rockets? Nice.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 24, 2008 12:33 PM
--------------------------------------

What he said.

And appropriate to United this term---when you're down, it's a long way up.

Posted by: Robert, Orlando, an I-4 away from the New Rowdies | June 25, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

It was meant to be tongue in cheek. Thanks for not being offended. As it is, I think your analysis of Torres is correct, even if it came out very stream-of-consciousness.

Most of that Goth stuff was before my time as well, and the older sister was the musical influence in that genre. That said, some good music can be found across all genres if we have an open mind. And some sports figures, but not all, can be good role models.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 25, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

At times it seem more spew of consciousness than stream.
I really should consider taking a little English 101 refresher one of these days, and dust out the cob webs...
I do agree that not all sports figures are cut out to be role models.
Have you seen the video of Shaq's rap about Kobe?
Again no hard feelings LeesburSoccerFan.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 25, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse