NY, MLS, RSL and a CD

Before I call it a day (hopefully), a few odds and ends to share:

*Depleted Chivas USA (4-4-2) vs. shorthanded New York (3-3-3) at Giants Stadium (7:30 ET, ESPN2). Attendance predictions? Five figures?

*Two items from the Sports Business Journal that caught my eye......

Founding editor Steve Bilafer writes:

"I went to my first MLS game two weeks ago. In fact, it was the first time I had ever attended a soccer match played by anyone over 10 years old. It was a fun evening all around, and all the families in our youth soccer group went home happy. Here's my one beef: I missed both goals. In fact, it seemed every time I looked away, something exciting happened. Is this a reason why soccer struggles with the American audience? It's not the sport's fault. We just don't know how to watch it. There are no whistles or predictable stoppages in play so you can do the things you're used to doing at a sporting event, like talking, texting, reading the program, checking out the crowd ... and don't even think of getting up for a beverage. Don't get me wrong. I'd go again. But when I do, I'm just not going to take my eyes off the field until halftime."

And in a desciption of the new "bunker suites" connected to the best seats at the new Real Salt Lake stadium.....

"The room accommodates 100 people and contains a glass wall on one side that looks down the main tunnel where players enter and leave the field. The design has expanded to include an outdoor patio on the other side. The season-ticket package costs $7,500, which includes a seat in the first 10 rows at midfield, food and drink, a road trip with the team and a one-time meet-and-greet with players."

*Don't forget to pick up John Hiatt's new CD, "Same Old Man."

On a date with John Lee Hooker at a packed joint up in Washington
He came in with a gorgeous woman on each arm as I was singing my song
Walked 'em right up and sat 'em on the edge of the stage as I went singing along
And that's called: 'Evenin' son, I'm the headliner'

By Steve Goff  |  June 5, 2008; 2:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jozy's Deal
Next: And The Winner Is.....

Comments

Paying attention to the game....novel concept...

Posted by: JkR | June 5, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

You are The Man, Goffinho.

Keep up the good work.

Vamos United!!

Posted by: Smitty | June 5, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that pretty much how it is in hockey? You can't really go to the bathroom or buy a soda until intermission otherwise you wont get back before the action starts up again.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | June 5, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Um, yes - Mr. Bilafer, you have to pay attention to the game that you spent good money on to attend. And perhaps, if you pay attention, you'll understand the athleticism, style, beauty, and physical display in front of you and why the world does indeed go nuts for this game.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 5, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Will Jozy mail it in now that he's on to bigger and better things? I hope he puts on a show in his last few games... minus next Saturday.

Posted by: TheCoreSpeaks | June 5, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Business guy goes to a soccer game. Talks, texts, reads the program, checks out the crowd. No wonder he missed the goals.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 5, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I always stress the following to people I take to a match:

1. We stand. No discussion on this point.

2. We watch the match. Every touch.

3. Beer and bathroom don't happen during play.

4. The only discussion during play is about the match.

5. We're not going there to eat, chat, close a deal, or network.

6. Open toed shoes at RFK are a bad idea. (This is a whole separate subject relating to the bathrooms...)

Posted by: JkR | June 5, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey, don't come down too hard on the guy. He admits it's his own failing, and says he'll do it the right way the next time. It sounds like MLS just won a fan! Isn't that the point?

Posted by: John | June 5, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

John Hiatt RULES!!

Posted by: DirtyHarry | June 5, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

NY Announced Attendance: 8,179
Actual Attendance: 483

Posted by: Kev | June 5, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

John is absolutely right. Many of us are used to going to games that have many breaks in the action that allow for social activity and soccer is not like that in any way. Baseball, football, golf all have constant breaks in the action. Kudos to my relative JkR and others that let newbies know what to expect before going. I wonder where he is based and what game he went to?

Posted by: JMR | June 5, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Huh? You can't fall asleep during the game? What is that?

Soccer stinks. Players move too much. Too many thing going on.

Baseball rules! I can't go get a hot dog, use the bathroom, read half of War & Peace, and return to my seat having only missed five pitches. And even if I miss a pitch, I get to watch at least 100 more just like it. Sweet! That leave me plenty of time to study my box scores and pound statistics into my calculator...did you know Ken Griffey leads the league in opposite field homeruns on artificial fields playing under halogen lights in months starting with a 'J' when facing opponents named after sea creatures?!? Awesome!

Posted by: Bloated Baseball Fan | June 5, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

5 figures or 5 fingers?

Posted by: Kim | June 5, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I thought is was with months ending with the letter 'R'

Posted by: GeorgeWill | June 5, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 5, 2008 3:24 PM

Unless he sits with one of the many supporters groups around the league. Then he will be too busy bouncing, waving flags, and preening in front of the atmosphere starved cameras to notice what is happening in the game.

Posted by: True fan | June 5, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, you guys need to take it easy. Bilafer makes a very fair point -- American sports have evolved a certain way, and soccer doesn't fit that mold. So he went to a game, had a great time, says he'd go back, but admits he missed some of the most important action because the event he was watching was out of his usual context. What's the big deal?

Somehow, if a European soccer (sorry, football) fan went to his first baseball game and pronounced it "dull" or "interminable," I suspect you'd nod your heads in agreement. I doubt you guys would rip on him for being culturally insensitive.

Posted by: Andy | June 5, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

great job on the guy for going, and hopefully, he turns himself into a season ticket holder, great job mls and w/e team hosted him and his kids' youth team, thats the way to do it! now, if he could just learn to watch the game

Posted by: enthusiastic | June 5, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

The difference is baseball is truly boring!

Posted by: Bart | June 5, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

True Fan & Andy - spot on. Thanks.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCoreSpeaks | June 5, 2008 3:26 PM
----------------
Ives is reporting that he may have already played his last minutes for the Pink Cows. His sources say he may not even dress tonight.

Posted by: jpeace121 | June 5, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I've been to two baseball games in my life, and have observed 8 out of 10 don't watch the game; these people can be seen mulling around the concession stand, shooting the sh*t with their friends, checking out people, and lastly checking out the scoreboard or tv screen from time to time. These are the people who are usually anti-soccer and say soccer is boring...

Posted by: Charisma_Man | June 5, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

This always gets me at Revs games - the constant parade of people to the concession stand for food and drinks, bathrooms, etc while the action is taking place.

Each half is 45 minutes and the total 'event' takes two hours (excluding getting to and from the stadium). Sitting still for 45 minutes at a time seams reasonable to me. Also, how high do food/bev prices inside the stadium have to get before fans say - "Enough, we can tailgate in the lot or eat at home." Besides, you can get snacks/bathroom at the half or before the game if its that pressing.

That said, I think even ardent fans occaisonally miss a goal or a touch. It happens, but not that frequently if you're paying attention. It happens to me every once in a while and I never turn my head from the field. And this is sure to be controversial, but guess what? If the Revs are down 3-0 in the 85th minute, I'm getting the h-ll out of there. If that makes me a bad fan, so be it.

Posted by: New England Guy | June 5, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Well done. A guy honestly shows an interest in joining the soccer crowd and he's talked down to because he didn't come out of the womb singing with a scarf around his neck.

There are lots of different ways to enjoy the game. Give the guy a freaking break.

Posted by: Unreal | June 5, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The only time I've left a match early (last years ugly home opener against KC) was not voluntarily...

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 5, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind - for the last 30 or so years, we've grown in to a nation that has been sold/wants "entertainment experiences" at sporting events. Funny how soccer fans tend to want the match itself to be the entertainment. Crazy!

And there is no going to the bathroom during play in soccer. That's what the pocket of the fan in front of you is for!

Posted by: Kev | June 5, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

If by 'five figures' you mean five bodies, then yes, I think they can manage that.

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 5, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

(I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here.)

One of my huge pet peeves about soccer boosterism in this country is how many fans continue to belittle traditional American sports like baseball in the process. You're selling a sport with which many Americans are not that familiar. Telling them it's great to watch (and play) is good. Telling them that the sports they currently like are awful is bad. Why does baseball even come into a discussion about soccer? Bilafer never mentioned it by name. Yet the same attacks show up every time.

I like soccer alot. I've been to MLS, WNT and MNT games. I've been to Camp Nou. Last year I went to both the Gold Cup final and the USA-Brazil friendly at Soldier Field (guess where I live). The first World Cup I watched religiously was in 1986.

But I also love baseball. Commercialized American network TV bloating aside, I think it's the best sport in the world.

The two sports are not mutually exclusive. After all, last I checked the English were able to invent both soccer and its complete antithesis, cricket. Australians, similarly, are falling big for soccer yet love cricket as much as anything (and routinely beat everyone else at it). Does that make Australians defective (for that reason, anyway)? Maybe they just like sports of all varieties.

It is self-defeating to tell Americans that they need to change their mindset to embrace soccer. You might as well push the metric system on them, or one world government. But showing them that soccer is yet another great sport they can grow to love (and make room for), idiosyncracies and all, will pay huge dividends in the long run.

Posted by: Andy | June 5, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey, look, Claudio Reyna is injured! I am totally shocked. Biggest waste of money in MLS history. I think it's hilarious that the TeleFutura guys still call him "Capitan America"

Posted by: Glenn | June 5, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

No way Jozy lines up again for the little stinkers from NY. Whats the point. Risk getting injured and failing the physical is not worth playing in another MLS game. Plus, and I know most of you missed Saturdays game on HDNET but Jozy already looked like he was in Spain. Let the boy go asap, 10 million for the MLS is good business and great for the rising star. Also, I know this does not go here but fire Bradly after last nights coaching performance. Adu put some of the smartest and most gifted 45 minutes ever played in a USA shirt (by anyone, ever!) and he takes him off?! Then I have to watch josh wolf and beasley run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Posted by: 314 | June 5, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Very well said, Andy

Posted by: Kev | June 5, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Also, Bilafer is right. Americans simply do not understand the overall concept of soccer and therefore do not know how to watch the game. This is why sporting environments are different in American and Europe/S. America. In America it is about a family event, food, concessions and comfort. Europe/S. America is about the spectacle itself. Attendance, 230 somehow find there way to Giants stadium.

Posted by: 314 | June 5, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Is Keller out at Fulham? If so, where is he headed? DC could use a good keeper right now.

Posted by: Rob | June 5, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't see anyone hammering Bilafer.

Maybe having a little fun at his expense...

Posted by: JkR | June 5, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

you are all also missing a key point: who do you think buys those fancy seats at Nationals Park, FedEx and the Phone Booth? sure, some people who really love the sport. others who want to take their clients to the game and schmooze them for business. who is buying the skyboxes at FedEx (and not buying the ones at NatsPark?) This is the financial model of American Sports at this juncture, corporate. it's one of the things that makes MLS so entertaining, the best seats go to the rabid fans, not the casual expense account crew. but it is what we are used to (And what the Glazers have done to Old Trafford)

it's not wrong, it's just different. and it's worth noting, WE are the ones who are different. don't think everyone goes to every game to watch the game, there are a lot of reasons to be there.

Posted by: northzax | June 5, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

attendance tonight? do the bench players count?

Posted by: northzax | June 5, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

((clinks glass with Andy))

Posted by: JB | June 5, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

When is or was jozy's last game?

Posted by: The Jim | June 5, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

It depends on where you watch a baseball game; go to a baseball game at fenway park and virtually every single person is engaged in every single pitch. If you want to get yelled at, stand up during a play. Someone will smack you.

Baseball can be a great game to watch live if you understand the rules and the strategy; just like soccer. But if you don't get it, you'll be bored.

I also have to disagree with the dude who said no getting beers during the game. My god.... you must not be Scottish... that's the beauty of the roving beer guys.. you can still catch the game and get pissed...

Posted by: Hacksaw | June 5, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Hacksaw, I think he meant "No leaving your seat to get beer."

Even if you go during halftime @RFK, you're liable to miss the start of the second half. I've lost count of how many early 2nd half goals I've missed while the concessions person did addition by hand or looked for the only pocket calculator at that stand (and sometimes I did not have the good fortune to be in line at a stand with a calculator).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 5, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 5, 2008 4:53 PM

If you include the beer and hot dog vendors.

Why they didn't move the game to Sunday for a double header is beyond me. You have 65,000+ fans who you could try to get to come at least a few minutes early to see the end of the Red Bulls match.

Would anyone complain if they moved the match from tonight to Sunday?

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 5, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

"4. The only discussion during play is about the match."

I wish someone would tell that to pretty much every North American on-air soccer personality. Unfortunately MLS telecasts are littered with so much human interest and inane babel, that I have to mute them 5 minutes in. If Bilafer watched a match on TV, he'd feel right at home; ESPN's (for instance) MLS broadcasts contain just as much white noise as their baseball, basketball, and football broadcasts. TAking a breath and letting the game just run, never hurt anybody. Off topic a bit, but what the hell.

Posted by: Skinn | June 5, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: New England Guy | June 5, 2008 4:39 PM

Heh heh...does that hold true when they're
winning by two in the 83rd minute
? Cuz you might miss something if you do that. ;-)

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 5, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

On the TV front, if you watch an ABC/ESPN telecast when the same game is available on Spanish-language TV, you're either insane or blind. (Not to equate the two in any way for our sight-impaired friends.) US English-language TV has no concept how to broadcast a soccer match.

"Oh look, honey, let's be sure not to miss an all-new Desperate Housewives this Sunday. I'm so glad they reminded me with a fancy graphic that covered the fancy footwork that set up that goal I just missed because I was stabbing my eyes out."

Posted by: Andy | June 5, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, ESPN would probably complain.

Posted by: Goose | June 5, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Comments from an immigrant - baseball is a great game. I learned to enjoy it after stumbling upon minor league games. You can enjoy the nuances of the game without all the endless noise of rampant commercialism around you.

Posted by: New Baseball Fan | June 5, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Good for Bilafer. The main difference in soccer is that the intermission is 15 minutes long. In baseball and football the intermissions run about 3 1/2 hours long.

Posted by: ML | June 5, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Another "amen" for Andy. Very well said.

I love both baseball and soccer. I enjoy going to games of both. I don't really find that to be odd -- they are simply different.

Posted by: Bob | June 5, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I realized if you want to watch true sporting events you go to soccer games, it's fast, nonstop, and yourself include have to be alert all the time. If you want to go take a nap or bored at home you go to baseball and other games.

Posted by: new soccer fan | June 5, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

A few hundred fans at Chivas-NY game is singing the identical United supporters songs.

Posted by: td | June 5, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

...If the Revs are down 3-0 in the 85th minute, I'm getting the h-ll out of there. If that makes me a bad fan, so be it.
-----------------
Well, New England Guy, I thought we were going to let you leave early last week, but it didn't happen.

Really, though, it doesn't take that long to get out of the Gillette parking lot...particularly if you do what I did Thursday night, which is wander over to the Midnight Rider's section of the lot and share a beer or two with them.

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 5, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

If that makes me a bad fan, so be it.

Posted by: New England Guy | June 5, 2008 4:39 PM

_______________________
Yep, it does.

Its not over till the whistle blows and even then its still not over until the we've acknowledged the team's effort.

I will admit to being a fanatic about this and can count on 2 fingers the number of games that I've ever left early.

Posted by: John | June 5, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Huh? You can't fall asleep during the game? What is that?

Soccer stinks. Players move too much. Too many thing going on.

Baseball rules! I can't go have tea, use the loo, read half of War & Peace, and return to my seat having only missed five bowls. And even if I miss a bowl, I get to watch at least 100 more just like it. Sweet! That leave me plenty of time to study my box scores and pound statistics into my calculator...did you know Andrew Flintoff leads the Super League in wickets on artificial pitches playing under halogen lights in months starting with a 'J' when facing opponents from at least a two-time zone difference?!? Smashing!

Posted by: Bloated Cricket Fan | June 5, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

with all of the big, beautiful stadia we have in this country that have permanent natural grass surfaces, why in the world did they choose Giant's Stadium for this game against Argentina? Laying down temporary sod on the artificial surface is no substitute for a real field and it's dangerous to boot. Why did the Argies agree to this?

Posted by: Glenn | June 5, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I really, really dislike baseball, but that is beside the point. I wouldn't like baseball whether played here or Venezuela or Cuba.

Soccer is different though...I like it here, but the presentation is infinitely better overseas, especially on television, where commentators allow the game to "breath" (i.e. do not feel compelled to fill all 90 minutes with constat blabbering dithery).

But the live presentation is the biggest difference. There are great sports in the U.S. that are rendered wholly annoying by the force-feeding of the experience. Moreover, the entitities feel compelled to direct everything. Football, basketball, baseball, hockey all tell the fans when to cheer, what to chant. In that sense they become interchangeable and generic. (Minor league operations are often better, more genuine, or at least more desperate, which can lead them to try unique things.)

This carries over into other sports. Watching a pro basketball game in Argentina, Brasil or Italy is much more entertaining that doing so here. It is perhaps part of the passivity induced from growing up on TV (guilty) where we are so used to having things spoon-fed that we cannot really grasp being proactive participants in a match.

As great of the Barra are, they are limited to maybe four polysyllabic chants. Overseas, even shiite clubs have pages of songs, chants that change with every game or opponent. Perhaps it is easier for them with only one "major" sport. Here we have pro football, basketball, hockey, soccer, NASCAR, baseball, bowling, bass fishing, BMX racing, lacrosse, etc., so it wouldn't be feasible to expect raving bleeding-heart fans to come up with new material. It is easier to pay our ticket, sit, poung $9 beer (or throw them), and clap when the announcer tells us to clap. Part of it is that I am convinced the leagues and networks do not give the fan enough credit and treat us like morons, pounding the sports equivalent of Wonder Bread into our brains at full force - almost to ensure we don't get enough time to decide whether we like the product or not before consuming it...'Shut Up & Drink It!'

Sorry for ranting. This was not mean to be a (insert posh accent) 'everything is better on the continent' rant.

Posted by: Erick | June 5, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Soccer is different though...I like it here, but the presentation is infinitely better overseas, especially on television, where commentators allow the game to "breath" (i.e. do not feel compelled to fill all 90 minutes with barrages of banal blabbering).

TV is obvious enough. But the live presentation is the biggest difference. There are great sports in the U.S. that are rendered wholly annoying by the force-feeding of the experience as the sporting entitities feel compelled to direct everything. Football, basketball, baseball, hockey all tell the fans when to cheer, what to chant, when to 'stretch.' In that sense they become interchangeable and generic, their uniqueness blasted away by a torrent of commercialism and marketing. (I admit minor league operations are often better, more genuine at least, or perhaps more desperate, which can lead them to try unique things.)

In soccer the outsider can sometimes suffer at a new stadium as the "regulars" have entire sets of traditions, songs, etc. - a unique culture - that the visiting fan may not be privy to. Each team has that, from Premier divisions, down to semi-pro sides. (A few, very few American venues offer that, and generally only limited in comparison). Then again, some of these clubs have existed for over a century, while many US clubs are younger (or relocated) during my lifetime. (Don't get into passion = hoolinganism...there are enough stabbings at Skins v Eagles game to show weekend fans can be a-holes too.)

This carries over into other sports. Watching a pro basketball game in Argentina, Brasil or Italy is much more entertaining that doing so here. It is perhaps part of the passivity induced from growing up on TV (guilty myself) where we are so used to having things spoon-fed that we cannot really grasp being proactive participants in a match. The experience must be "given" to us rather than created and extracted by us.

As great of the Barra are, they are limited to maybe four or five polysyllabic chants, none particularly creative. Overseas, even shiite clubs have pages of songs, chants that change with every game/player/opponent (hearing You'll Never Walk Alon at Anfield is a memory for a lifetime). Perhaps it is easier for people with only one "major" sport. Here in the US we have pro football, basketball, hockey, soccer, NASCAR, baseball, bowling, bass fishing, BMX racing, lacrosse, etc., so it wouldn't be feasible to expect raving bleeding-heart fans to come up with new material in every case. It is easier to pay our ticket, sit, pound $9 beer (or throw them), and clap when the announcer tells us to clap. Part of it is that I am convinced the leagues and networks do not give the fans enough credit and treat us like morons, pounding the sports equivalent of Wonder Bread into our brains at full force - almost to ensure we don't get enough time to decide whether we like the product or not before consuming it...'Shut Up & Eat It!' (or as my drill sergeant so often screamed - "Chew it now, taste it later!!!)

Sorry for ranting. This was not mean to be a (insert posh accent) 'everything is better on the continent' diatribe, just observations of sports and consumer cultures.

Posted by: Erick | June 5, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Great point Erick. Although my take is American football game has war zone like atmostpher with no rythem, in baseket ball everything is at directed tune, and nothing in baseball but in all of them have no songs or anything near game like soccer that gives goose bumps from the fans.

Posted by: td | June 5, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Sorry such a long rant posted twice...my internet sucks.

Posted by: Erick | June 5, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow..Washington is having a great effect on Fluminense taking over to copalibertodoris this year. Last year he took Urawa Red Dimonds to win the J-League champoinship and took them to club world cup. I think Fluminense will win it again and headed to Japan and will play against Manchester United.

Posted by: football | June 5, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 314 | June 5, 2008 4:57 PM
-------------------------------------------------

Adu took an ankle ding in the first half on one of the several fouls he suffered and was subbed out as a precaution.

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 5, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Hiatt tickets for his July shows at the Birchmere are still available...

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 5, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Surprisingly, this is the exact same reaction I had to my first UVA football game last fall. There are so many breaks that I would lose concentration, look into the crowd, check the scoreboard, and miss the 12-second play. I guess the poor student seating section sightlines didn't help, either. To this guy's credit, I gave up on UVA football.

Posted by: UVA to RFK | June 6, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

The NY-Chivas game was dreadful tonight. I felt bad for Harkes, who several times couldn't help but point out that the overriding factor in the game was midfield turnovers. You know it's bad when pro-MLS people like Harkes and Dellacamera are desperately searching for something to discuss other than both teams constantly failing to so much as string 3 passes together. It's a shame NY got the 3 points (for us, at least), but then it's a shame that either team was awarded anything after that.

The only player I can think of that played well was Mendoza, and even then he only played well for 65 minutes before visibly running out of gas and getting beaten several times by Dane Richards (who, in turn, looked entirely one-dimensional until Mendoza became tired).

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 6, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Angel looks like he is just unhappy in general.

Posted by: Felix | June 6, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"To this guy's credit, I gave up on UVA football."

So have the players.

Posted by: Ryan | June 6, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"why in the world did they choose Giant's Stadium for this game against Argentina"

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$