Saturday in the Park

Today's lineup.....

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP
Quarterfinals
Netherlands vs. Russia, 2:30 ET (ABC)

WORLD CUP QUALIFYING
Belize at Mexico, 10 (Telemundo)
Guatemala vs. St. Lucia in L.A., 10
Grenada at Costa Rica, 10
...and lots of African matches.

MLS
Kansas City at Toronto, 3:30
Dallas at New York, 7:30 (FSC)
Houston at Colorado, 9:30 (HDNet)
New England at RSL, 9:30
Columbus at Los Angeles, 10:30

WOMEN
The United States wins a South Korean tournament, beating Canada, 1-0, on Angela Hucles's goal in second-half added time. Details available here.

Last night.....

The Canadian men advanced to the next stage of World Cup qualifying with a 4-1 victory over St. Vincent and the Grenadines in Montreal, winning by a 7-1 aggregate. Dwayne De Rosario and Ali Gerba scored two apiece. Read the story by clicking here, watch some of the highlights down there:

By Steve Goff  |  June 21, 2008; 1:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday Europe
Next: Revved Up for Euros

Comments

Congrats to the USWNT. Nice results on these solid warm-ups to the Olympics. Here's hoping the run undefeated on their trip to gold. It's not the World Cup, but not often does a team get to vindicate itself practically on the same grounds it was tossed a few months ago.

Nice job by the Canucks. Did I see that right? Did DeRo hit for 2 and tack on 2 assists? That dude is mad quality. Shame they did not show SVG's lone goal.

Get ready for a "shoot 'em up" showdown today, as there appears to be no word in Ducth for "defense" and the Russians can counter with the best of them. Wide open, jaw dropping goal fest is what I forecast, as the one of the best Euros keeps on keepin' on.

There is plenty of footy on the tube today. I LOVE IT!!

Oh and before I forget...here's the obligatory finger in the eye of the blog purists: FIRST!!

Posted by: Kosh | June 21, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I think it was the Fourth of July

Posted by: Stan | June 21, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

That boy Arshavin...

Posted by: Red Devil | June 21, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Looks like MLS and Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank are interested in each other:

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 21, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Well color me wrong again!! (just don't color me orange) I hope the bookies don't pay attention to me. The Oranje are gone as Russia outplayed, outcoached and outhustled them in a late yet well deserved win. Good for Russia, they came to play and were not scared of anybody. Shame on that Dutch defense, as was suspected - they showed no quality at this level of the tournament.

So was it just me or did Hiddink pull one over on Van Basten? Russia successfully nutralized the Dutch threats and those quick subs by VB seemed rushed and too much of a reaction. Yes the Russians were killing them all over the park, but burning up your subs like that never seems like good managing/coaching to me.

Also, my Insider brothers and sisters, I would like to know what your take is on resting starters in a tournament. Is it worth the hype that it has been made out to be? Or is it self destructive? Does it bring rust into the side? I'm just asking because all of the sides that had the chance to rest their starters did not have their best games in the quarters, and the guys who did not have that opportunity to do so have been the sharper (and winners) so far. What's your take?

Posted by: Kosh | June 21, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

well, that makes the 2nd place teams 3 for 3 now. And that makes me very nervous about tomorrow. Come on SPAIN!

In other news Toronto 0 KC 0! Another perfect result for DCU. I'm glad I don't have to listen to Arena's color commentary for every game. He has the most grating voice in the world! Even worse than Tommy Smyth.

Posted by: Glenn | June 21, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Was Doe on the bench for Liberia against Senegal? He does not appear to have gotten onto the pitch, from the match report at the FIFA site.

Posted by: tri-village | June 21, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse