The Good, The Bad, The Coyote Ugly

Let's start our weekly session with a non-MLS item that would definitely be considered Coyote Ugly. (Click here.)

THE GOOD

*Admit it, you never thought you'd see this scoring combination: Goldthwaite from Ubiparipovic.
*Or how about key goals by Tino Nuñez to put RSL ahead and Steven Lenhart to earn Columbus a point?
*Edson Buddle's resurrection (nine goals in 10 games) and Landon Donovan's 11 goals in just 10 appearances (can you say, MVP?) for first-place Los Angeles.
*DCU's fifth straight game without a loss, setting up a showdown with the Galaxy on Sunday on national TV (ABC) at RFK.
*RSL remaining unbeaten at the Rice-Eccles quarry (4-0-4), extending its unbeaten run to five and taking over second place in the West.
*Dario Sala's spectacular diving save on Ubiparipovic.
*Luciano Emilio's seventh goal in five matches.
*Kevin Hartman's performance to earn the Wizards a point and give him his MLS-best 72nd career shutout.
*Jon Conway preserving New York's lead.
*United being whistled for one foul in the first half, six total.
*David Beckham's cross from the sideline to set up L.A.'s first goal.
*Gonzalo Martinez's go-ahead strike for DCU.

THE BAD

*Jay Heaps's own goal, the first by New England in four years.
*Post, crossbars and near-misses, oh my! (in the scoreless Colorado-Houston game)
*Dallas scoreless in Schellas Hyndman's coaching debut. "We've only had a couple days of training with them to try to instill some ideas. It takes time to get those ideas across but I'm really proud of them for trying to implement these ideas and trying their hardest."
*Beckham's miss in the 90th minute.
*New England's unbeaten streak ending at seven.
*Kansas City's winless streak reaching seven.

THE COYOTE UGLY

*Confusion between Nick Rimando and Nat Borchers, leading to Cristman's goal (reminiscent of the Gonzalo Peralta-Jose Carvallo mixup early this season).
*Zach Wells's stumbling, bumbling blunder. "The easiest thing I had to do all game and flubbed it."
*The Galaxy defense (24 goals allowed). "It's a pity that we gave two points away," Ruud Gullit said.

Anything else?

By Steve Goff  |  June 23, 2008; 10:08 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The CONCACAF Dozen
Next: Video From Salvadoran Comeback

Comments

The Bad (yet perversely good):

Chicago losing four of their last 5 and getting shut out for the second straight game.

Posted by: Section 130 | June 23, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

It's interesting that some "bad" things are actually really, really good things as far as I am concerned.

For example: *New England's unbeaten streak ending at seven.
*Kansas City's winless streak reaching seven.

I couldn't be happier about either one of those.

Posted by: Glenn | June 23, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Donadoni leaving Del Piero on the bench until the 110th minute when his side had 0 creative players on the field

Posted by: Johnny | June 23, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Ugly- David Beckham drawing a phantom penalty. Same dive by Guillermo and he gets a yellow.

Posted by: Clem | June 23, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

How do we get a replacement for Wells?!?!?!

Posted by: Paul | June 23, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

About Ubiparipovic's corner kick for NYRB: That was an excellent kick. I particularly want to note that the kick was not right into the first defender -- it actually went over defenders. I believe that sets apart from EVERY SINGLE corner kick delivered this year by Marcelo Gallardo and Jaime Moreno.

You want Coyote Ugly? Just string together replays of the corner kicks taken by Gallardo and Moreno, this year. If it's possible, Jaime's corners are only getting worse each week. Please find someone else to take the corner kicks!!!

Of course, the only thing less effective than DCU's corner kicks has been DCU's goalkeeping. Is it really possible that Carvallo isn't better than this? I have had both knees reconstructed, I'm blind in one eye, I turn 44 in two months, I'm generous in describing myself as five foot six inches (I'm rounding up)...yet, I feel certain that I could have kept a shutout yesterday. It's not just the bobble -- everyone gets clumsy sometimes. Wells says he's getting better, yet each week I see fewer saves. I hate to be a wet blanket, but I don't think the goalkeeping is getting better. I'm really left wondering about what's wrong with the coaching and evaluation.

Fred was simply awful all game long -- I couldn't wait for him to be subbed out. If it was a medical condition, I don't understand why the change wasn't made earlier. Is there really that little depth? I hope for the best for Fred -- that was his worst performance in a DCU kit --- his recovery is crucial to the team.

On the good side -- Martinez's run and shot was goal of the week worthy. Golazo! Golazo! Magnifico! MacTavish just looks better and better -- he might even have had a goal, if Gallardo had paased to him instead of trying to beat the goalie himself with that grass-cutter in the first half. That said, it was a good shot, and Gallardo seems to be more integrated in the offense. He even had his first MLS assist.

Finally, Luci Emilio, who seemed a helluva lot quicker and faster yesterday than he has all year. Wonderful! Perhaps he's lighter and fitter? There has to be some reason why the guy who moved like he was stuck in molasses is suddenly darting around defenders.

There was good and bad in the win, but definitely enough good to be optimistic.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 23, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

For example: *New England's unbeaten streak ending at seven.

I couldn't be happier about either one of those.

Posted by: Glenn | June 23, 2008 10:41 AM

Goff's a closet (now out) revolution fan.

Posted by: tommie | June 23, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Unless the Revs are playing DC, I always pull for Adam Cristman, the former UVA standout. A nice goal for him borne out of pure hustle. Of course he was helped by bad play from the RSL defender and Rimando, but nonetheless Cristman is turning out to be a pretty good MLS forward. Good for him.

Posted by: Ron | June 23, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and one question for Goff or anyone in the know. Is the Rice-Eccles surface really that much harder than other artificial surfaces? Aren't they all pretty hard, with the possible exception of the newwer field-turf fields?

Posted by: Ron | June 23, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Ugly: Malfunctioning lights at the Dick

Posted by: Wes | June 23, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Re-posted from earlier, Goff: Do you know the extent of Riley's "injury" incurred on his two-footed, red-card challenge of McTavish?

Posted by: Juan-John | June 23, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

The Bad and Good...
With all the recent chat about Wells and what we loss in Perkins' departure for VÃ¥lerenga...I thought I'd up-date everyone on Troy's first season in the Tippeligaen. Thru 10 league matches he's started all 10 with a 4-4-2 record and a 1.0 GAA. He also has 2 Cup match victories and 5 shut-outs on the season.

BOY, I know DC United really miss Perkins between the pipes. It seems as though Wells is making some improvement, there were moments yesterday where he commanded the air inside the box. BUT time and time again he seems to make huge errors which result in goals-against.

I certainly hope that the FO can make some move to sure up the GK position as the summer progresses.

Posted by: Redd | June 23, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I thought Zach Wells was excellent. I mean he looked just like Peter Cech against Turkey, and he is supposed to be the best in the world!

Posted by: SeanT | June 23, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Glad to hear Troy Perkins is doing well overseas. More power to him.

And yeah, Wells is coyote ugly.

Posted by: Bart | June 23, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Good: Reis gets an assist. Buddle's great effort for a goal.

Ugly: Hesmer pulling a "Wells" on LD's first goal. And Cronin coughed up a catchable shot, too. Just some bad goalkeeping this weekend...

Posted by: RK | June 23, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

In remembrance of George Carlin:

Here's one they just made up: "near miss". When two planes almost collide, they call it a near miss. It's a near hit. A collision is a near miss.

Posted by: trickshottim.com | June 23, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if Gonzalo Martinez's post goal celbration is deserving of praise or competes with Benny's in the Coyote Ugly category...

sure was entertaining though

Posted by: Anonymous | June 23, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

UGLY: DCU Attendance for Sunday...actually, make that all season.

Sunday will likely be packed, but yesterday was am embarassment. Only the Nationals (not sold out either) to compete with, nice sunny day, and can't even fill the lower tier at RFK.

United has been unable to fill the lower tier even once this season. Pretty sad for a "tradition" team with one of the more established fanbases in MLS.

At least there will always be seats open in New Carrolton.

Posted by: Erick | June 23, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

The awesome -- Martinez' dance at the corner flag.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 23, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"Only the Nationals (not sold out either) to compete with"

There's this new thing called "television". Sometimes they even show soccer matches on it on Sunday afternoons that might, JUST MIGHT, affect attendance for a Sunday afternoon DC match...

Posted by: Eric B | June 23, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

The Good...Gallardo's two assists, albeit not too flashy assists.

Posted by: Dave | June 23, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

As amusing as it was to watch, the goalkeeping on the Simms goal was as bad as Wells a moment later. I'll take goals however we get them, but that certainly wasn't a pretty sequence.

Posted by: MN | June 23, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm available.

How do we get a replacement for Wells?!?!?!

Posted by: Paul | June 23, 2008 10:58 AM

Posted by: hope solo | June 23, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

If you haven't watched NY every week for the last season and a half, you might not realize what a good player Sinisa Ubiparipovic is. He has excellent skills and great vision, he's hard to dispossess and he has a strong tackle, and his positioning is always good, obstructing passing lanes and slowing the counterattack.

His attacking instincts are opposite that of Reyna, which has been a problem, though he's a very good two-way player. But more importantly, he is learning to simplify his game. He's a better player than, say, Dyachenko, though he still has a lot to learn.

It's no surprise that he got that assist. Goldie's goal, on the other hand...

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | June 23, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

The Good: At the end of the day DC won, which helped preserve what little sanity I can claim as my own.

The Bad: Switching between the (boring) Italy-Spain and (mind-numbing) US-Barbados games only to be regularly greeted with an ESPN ticker that flashed 0-0 and 1-1 scores in the DC game for what felt like an eternity.

The Coyote Ugly: That Wells fumble. I watch the highlights this morning and almost lost my breakfast. Recollecting now is putting my lunch at risk. That could not have been pretty to see live.

RIP, George Carlin, we love you and you will be sorely missed.

Posted by: Kosh | June 23, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

The GOOD: Martinez is up for Goal of the Week. Let's make it two in a row for United.

Posted by: Sec 131 | June 23, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Erick above is Fisher in disguise.

A Sunday game vs an awful opponent will always draw a smaller crowd. Always. ALWAYS. However, compare our Sunday attendance with the rest of the league and I think you would be changing your tune, shmuck.

Posted by: Hoost | June 23, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@Kosh
Are you not local?
Comcast showed the United game Live yesterday, and had an Encore @ 11pm.
After watching the Spain/italy match I wished I had just watched the United game live.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 23, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Quote:

Posted by: Sec 131 | June 23, 2008 12:53 PM

You mean 3 in a row, Emilio 2 weeks ago, Simms last week

Posted by: TimD | June 23, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MN | June 23, 2008 12:34 PM
--------------------------------------------

Ummmm....Cannon did nothing wrong on the play. Simms aimed for the near post, and Cannon dove to cover the ball. He would have saved the shot easily, except that a San Jose defender stuck out a foot and deflected the ball to the far corner of the goal. Cannon tried to recover and dove back to the other side, but was helpless to reach the ball. I don't know what you found so "amusing", but I find your post uproariously and comically boneheaded.

Posted by: The Cannon Lens | June 23, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@Dadryan

Sadly, no I do not live in the DC area. I live all the way in Harrisburg, PA where most soccer references tend to end with "have you heard of the Harrisburg City Islanders? I hear they are really good." Even discussions about the Euros somehow takes me down that road - I swear not even quantum physiscs boasts a higher math formula/function that can explain how a discussion of the Euros can end up with a reference to the Islanders. It's amazing that I still have a full head of hair.

Posted by: Kosh | June 23, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

...and more news for DC United (and DC area soccer fans): Finn MacCool's was selected as MLSnet's Pub of the Week.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 23, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

TimD: Oh happy day. It would be 3 in a row. Thanks for reminding me. United has 1/3 of the GOTW.
Everybody vote, vote, vote!!!!

Posted by: Sec 131 | June 23, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha Kosh.
Now I'm memberin' you lamenting about United losing to the Islanders and the resulting embarrassment @ work.
No Telemundo either? Bummer.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 23, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Clem | June 23, 2008 10:54 AM

This bears mentioning again, disgraceful especially since its debateable he was even touched at all.

Posted by: GLD134 | June 23, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Telemundo has some South American rout WCQ game on in Atlanta...

Posted by: RK | June 23, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Watching these highlights, I'll be surprised if Beckham doesn't take the occasional shot at Wells from distance.

Of course, LA's keeper is looking not too hot so maybe Simms or Burch ought to do the same...

Posted by: JimD. | June 23, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Coyote ugly: Chad Barrett's finishing for Chicago. Oh, man!

Posted by: Modibo | June 23, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Two Coyote Uglies: the 18 minute power outage midway though the second half in Denver, and the National Anthem singer at the same game repeating one of the stanzas in the wrong place when she forgot the words. KSE soccer - it's amaaaaazing.

Posted by: Danny | June 23, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

A hot Sunday summer afternoon -- it doesn't make for entertaining soccer, and it doesn't draw bog crowds...unless it becomes an event, such as next weeks games.

Anyone with any sense was home, or in a bar, watching three different games that probably started within 15 minutes of each other -- including the Spain-Italy tilt. Or, maybe they were at the Nationals' game, which is better suited to summer.

Perhaps, they were at the Silverdocs festival, which included terrific soccer-themed movies, including Football Undercover and Kickin' It. The latter film will begin a run at E Street theater on Friday. It's about the Homeless World Cup -- and the US team managers have organized a Homeless USA Cup competition for the dozen or so US street soccer teams.. to select a national champ (and, I believe, the players for the US entry in the next Homeless World Cup in Melbourne.

Homeless USA Cup games will be at 11th and H. As an aside: The teams will be introduced at RFK at halftime of the United-Galaxy game.

For info on the Homeless USA Cup

type in http://streetsoccerUSA.org

or this link:

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 23, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Ugly: Payne's still in town

Posted by: UnwantedHouseGuest | June 23, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Most of the Telefutura games have featured near empty stadiums. From the looks of the highlights, RFK had a decent crowd.

Posted by: Ron | June 23, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

18,000 on a Sunday afternoon against a weak team is a bad crowd? You've got to be kidding.

Posted by: Goff | June 23, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I really have to hand it to New England for picking Adam Cristman in the MLS draft last year. He's a solid contributer that came cheap (4th round pick / low salary). After seeing him play a lot at UVA I didn't think that he would be as successful as he is in MLS. Wish that DCU could've picked him up instead. Here's two things that DC United knows almost nothing about: goalkeepers and drafting players.

I might have said this before but DCU this year reminds me exactly of my high school soccer team. If there is a shot on goal - it is almost definitely going in. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I yearn for the days of Nick Rimando in net

Posted by: diego r. | June 23, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Payne in the neck!
He was such an @hole @ the half on Comcast.
I sure am glad I don't work for that prick.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 23, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

The good: Spain finally getting over the hump and those cheating Italians finally getting what they have coming. Throw in Podolski to the good mix for lighting it up when he can't get on the pitch in Bayern. He's been the most dangerous attacker of the tournament, so far. Clyde Simms's goal certainly wasn't good, but it's better to be lucky anyway, right?

The bad: The Dutch. The Portuguese. The first round winners who can't take a punch. The diving, injury simulation, and time wasting that is rampant in European soccer. At the touch of a feather, these men among men become wounded baby deer.

The Coyote Ugly: Interesting that Wells characterized defending the low cross as "the easiest" thing he had to do. IMO, you don't try to catch that ball, you punch it way the hell out. But that is one of the main things he doesn't seem to understand or practice. Far uglier was San Jose's keeper on the Simms goal. Now I have no cable or Telefutura, so all I saw was highlights, but what on earth was the keeper doing, taking a Sunday nap?

Posted by: spike_2.0 | June 23, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm available.

Posted by: hope solo | June 23, 2008 12:44 PM
__________________________________________

No, you're not. But I am!

Posted by: Briana Scurry | June 23, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

No, you're not. But I am!

Posted by: Briana Scurry | June 23, 2008 4:59 PM

Yeah, but I would have made those saves.

Posted by: hope solo | June 23, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Payne in the neck!
He was such an @hole @ the half on Comcast.
I sure am glad I don't work for that prick.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 23, 2008 4:39 PM

Thats because u dont have a fu.king job u stay at home DAD u should play in that homeless cup!!

Posted by: bum | June 23, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

You know what you worthless bum, I do have a job. Go suck an egg idiot.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 23, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John
____________________________________
I asked McTavish about this today because I thought it was weird and Riley told McT that he had a cramp in his leg.

After the tackle Riley asked Devon if he was alright and he said yes and he asked Riley if he was alright and he said he had a huge cramp in his leg.

Posted by: owendylan | June 23, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: spike_2.0 | June 23, 2008 4:48 PM
----------------------------------------------

What's with all the hating on Joe Cannon? As I posted in response to the last person who wrongly criticized Cannon, he had Simms played perfectly, diving to cover the shot aimed at the near post. If you read Goff's article, you'd see that Simms acknowledges that Cannon was going to save his shot. Then fate intervened in the form of a deflection by a San Jose defender, whose leg block steered the shot towards the far corner instead. Cannon tried heroically to get back up and dive the other way, but there isn't a human being alive who could have recovered to make the save.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 23, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Yeah it looked to me as if the shot was deflected.

Posted by: Ron | June 24, 2008 6:17 AM | Report abuse

I was at Sunday's game and I thought attendance was surprisingly strong. The weather was great which means they were competing with the beach, the pool, BBQs, as well as the Nats. Considering that DCU is a middle tier team playing the last place team and no longer has Adu the marketing gimmick to draw in casual "fans", I don't see how anyone can complain about drawing 18,000. Now if we could just get out of a 55,000 seat stadium and into our own venue the crowd would actually look good on TV.

Posted by: eduardo | June 24, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

On the highlight video I though the crowd looked and sounded fine.

Though saying the crowd was low becuase of good weather sounds strangely like saying the crowd was low because of bad weather.

Posted by: Ron | June 24, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Then Cannon's reputation stands unblemished.

Nevertheless a coyote-ugly moment...

Posted by: spike_2.0 | June 24, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

What does the winning team of the homeless world cup get, a home?

Posted by: Sam | June 25, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse