USA Women's Olympic Roster Set

Coach Pia Sundhage's 18-player list is official. Notable absences: Briana Scurry, Leslie Osborne (knee), Cat Whitehill (knee).

GOALKEEPERS: Nicole Barnhart (Gilbertsville, Pa.), Hope Solo (Richland, Wash.).
DEFENDERS: Rachel Buehler (Del Mar, Calif.), Lori Chalupny (St. Louis, Mo.), Stephanie Cox (Elk Grove, Calif.), Kate Markgraf (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.), Heather Mitts (Cincinnati, Ohio), Christie Rampone (Point Pleasant, N.J.).
MIDFIELDERS: Shannon Boxx (Redondo Beach, Calif.), Tobin Heath (Basking Ridge, N.J.), Angela Hucles (Virginia Beach, Va.), Carli Lloyd (Delran, N.J.), Heather O'Reilly (East Brunswick, N.J.), Lindsay Tarpley (Kalamazoo, Mich.), Aly Wagner (San Jose, Calif.).
FORWARDS: Natasha Kai (Kahuku, Hawaii), Amy Rodriguez (Lake Forest, Calif.), Abby Wambach (Rochester, N.Y.).

Alternates: Scurry, defender Ali Krieger, midfielder Kacey White and forward Lauren Cheney.

By Steve Goff  |  June 23, 2008; 3:08 PM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ad-vantage Beckham
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

I believe I've heard at least half of those names before.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 23, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

By the way, including the DCU postgame post just after midnight, I believe this must have set an all-time record number of Goff posts for one day....

Just my way of saying "Thanks"....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 23, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

third?? woo hoo

Posted by: bobf | June 23, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the Heather Mitts is on dee roster I see. Ah yes, I shall be coming up from Mexico for a wisit. Yes, wery goood

Posted by: Sven "It" Goran Erickson | June 23, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's all the nuclear waste in Richland that makes Hope Solo so radioactive.

Posted by: NRC | June 23, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Some vets and some new faces. Let's see how the mix works when we get to Beijing.

Bri not making the club is too bad for her but no one can play forever.

Let's hope that Mitts can avoid the injury bug and actually play in China. She has to be the Natettes equivalent of Chris Armas. Injured at the worst time, just before the big tournaments. Let's hope that she breaks the bad luck streak.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 23, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NRC | June 23, 2008 4:23 PM
========================================

It worked for Ben Olsen, didn't it?

Posted by: tri-village | June 23, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Another notable absence: Tina Ellertson (month-old kid).

Posted by: tri-village | June 23, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

...Natettes?

Posted by: Amanda | June 23, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Amanda. Natettes? This is the USA. We all know Nats refers to the women's teams.

I don't think there are any real surprises with this roster. Upon first glance and seeing Scurry was a notable absence I was confused since I expected her to be an alternate. Then I continued to read...

Posted by: sitruc | June 23, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Change of subject. Does anybody know if the Super (and I use that term loosely) Liga will be streamed to the net for free?

Posted by: Harpo | June 23, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

What? Briana Scurry is only an alternate? What happens if we need her for an important match against Brazil?

Posted by: JJH | June 23, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

When does the men's Oly team roster get announced?

Posted by: garbaggio | June 23, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Scurry may be an alternate but she isn't identified as having a position. Does she plays forward? Just wondering since we once had a forward play keeper in the WWC.

Posted by: Curious | June 23, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Steve figured that we already know that Scurry is a GK.

It's an 18-woman roster, so having only 2 keepers makes sense. After all, in what percentage of matches does the team need the 3rd keeper?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 23, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Oops..... did I forget to mention that the reason we had a forward play keeper in '95 was because our goalie (someone named Scurry) received a red card?

Of course that card was not deserved (as memory serves it was given for landing outside the box as she punted the ball).

Posted by: Curious | June 23, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

If any field player drops out, Cheney should be the first alternate called up, regardless of position. Even if we need a defender, Cheney can play midfield and Boxx, Hucles, or Lloyd can defend.

and nice post JJH ;-)

Posted by: troy | June 24, 2008 5:25 AM | Report abuse

When does the men's Oly team roster get announced?

YES WHEN????

Posted by: tex | June 24, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Ya, hope they all stay healthy not just Mitts. Wagner has been snake-bitten that way too.

Plus Heath = 4 Jersey girls this time around, I'm liking that

Local player Ali Krieger is very close . . . .

Will be interesting to see whether Brazil brings their first team to the US exhibitions, and if so, how they line up. US is seeing a lot of 4-5-1 recently.

Natettes must refer to the mens team. Maybe the women will let them share "US" stars on their jerseys.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 24, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Here's another Fisher masterpiece:

Has he ever written an article with people giving a pro-stadium view? I mean, there IS a legitimate story behind this. You know, how the team was essentially given the shaft after years of working with the DC gov't to secure this site?

Oh, sorry, Fisher doesn't do that. He's out to get DC United. He AND the Post.

Posted by: Hoost | June 24, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Who says girls can't play? Check out this catch by the ball girl at a snoozeball game. . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | June 24, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

...Natettes?

Posted by: Amanda | June 23, 2008 5:25 PM
-------------------------------------------

Posted by: sitruc | June 23, 2008 6:31 PM
-------------------------------------------
sitruc, my friend, yes this is the USA. There was a time not too long ago that some used to affectionately refer the US boys (mens') U-17 and younger national programs "Baby Nats". Maybe people have stopped this. I'm really out of the loop.

And a few of us (at least a few ones that I know personally) to affectionately refer
the the Sr women as the "Natettes". Maybe because unlike the Aussies, we didn't have anything really cool like the "Matildas" or the "Super Falcons" or "Black Queens" like some other national team sides had for their team. It was also a bit tounge in cheek and sounded better than "Lady Nats" (Like Lady Tarheels or Lady Raiders).

It was something silly that I am sure that I didn't start but certainly used.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 24, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Las Americanas?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 24, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Steve figured that we already know that Scurry is a GK.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 23, 2008 10:30 PM
========================================

Scurry is enough of an all-around athlete to have toyed with the idea of going into pro basketball, so who knows what she can do (or perhaps more accurately, what she could do when she was younger)?

With regard to the keepers, PS had no discretion. The rules governing the competition specify that there shall two keepers in the first 18 and a third among the alternates. Not only that, it is specified that they shall wear numbers 1, 18, and 22. Check out Article 10 at:

Posted by: tri-village | June 24, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Why does those regulations remind me of The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 24, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Personally, as great as Scurry was, I hold her in no great esteem. She could have ended the whole Solo controversy by saying publicly that she understood Solo's emotions and harbored no ill will toward her. That would have been the professional and decent thing to do. Instead, she let her "teammate" dangle in the wind, and did nothing to stop the despicable way her teammates treated Solo.

Such decisions say far more about a person than penalty kick saves.

I love this new roster. Sundhage recognizes the need for more speed -- which, in the long run, means no Lilly, Whitehill or Wambach, the co-conspirators and cowards.

I hope the WNT succeeds beyond anyone's expectations. That success will vindicate Sundhage's choices, possibly keep her as the head coach -- and accelerate the international demise of Lilly, Wambach and Whitehill.

Amy Rodriguez is a mustang; Wambach is a plow horse. 'Nuff sed.

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | June 24, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

==========================================

This sounds like an error of omission. In other words, Scurry didn't think of the best response to this unusual situation on the spot. But then again, neither did a lot of people. Hindsight is always 20/20.

To judge from a story that ran in the NYT several weeks ago, Solo has more or less made her peace with Scurry and Wambach. Apparently Whitehill has not come around, but that may be a moot point, because she is on the DL, and even before her injury, she was mostly riding the bench.

Posted by: tri-village | June 24, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Such decisions say far more about a person than penalty kick saves.

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | June 24, 2008 2:20 PM
-------------------------------------------
Consistency is a wonderful thing.

A year later and we still disagree on the issue.

Let's blame Bri for being by far the more professional of the two. She stayed quiet after Hope's meltdown, and she is the bad 'guy'?

Hope Solo is the better keeper so she gets the spot but I can't forsee ever being a Hope Solo Fan. I hope that she doesn't end up playing for the Washington Freedom when the new league starts.

I assume since we are correctly moving to a gender equal society, I am still trying to figure out if I am going to try and get a seat as close to Hope's goal next season and "grill" her the same way that i would if she were a Dude.

"Hey, Bri would have gotten that one!"

"Hey Nicole would have gotten, that one!"

"More goalkeeping and a little less lockeroom poisoning!"

I mean, afterall. She is a "pro" and so many of her supporters stated she should be treated like any male lockeroom cancer--er self-absorbed but yet competetive athlete. Which I fully agree with.

After her selfish and self absorbed actions, I hold Hope Solo in the lowest esteem of any player who has ever worn our jersey that I can think of. And I'm not limiting it to gender or age.

Having given up the softest goal that I can recall any US keeper (again, gender and age aside)--then to backstab Bri and sabotage the team like that--that is what set off the soap opera.

Yeah the coach made a controversial decision that in hindsight cost him his job and was a catalyst in an overhyped team being exposed. But it was Hope's lack of professionalism that sent things to "soap opera" level.

I cheer for our team because it's our team. Solo is the best keeper we have, so I hope that she does well but as far as I am concerned, she can't even begin carry Bri's boots when it comes to "class".

I'd much prefer to be like Bri and for my daugter to be like Bri than the '07 WWC version of Hope Solo.

Maybe she has changed.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 24, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Any of the Washington Freedom players on that roster?

Posted by: Sean G | June 25, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

One of the alternates, Ali Krieger, has played for the Freedom in the past, although more recently she has been playing in Germany. (She also grew up down I-95 in Dumfries.)

Posted by: tri-village | June 25, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Note to tri-village and yankiboy: Scurry made similar critical remarks about Siri Mullinix's performance during the 2000 Olympics in Sydney:

Here's the quote: ``I put myself into that entire game, and I've always felt -- and I still feel -- that if I were playing, we would have won.''

Given Scurry's situation in 2000, she should have been the first one to defuse any potential fallout seven years later.

So much for Scurry's "professionalism" and "class."

What Solo said was a mistake made under emotional duress in the heat of the moment. How her "coach" and "teammates" responded was a cold, calculated, conspiratorial decision. The two cannot be compared.

Finally, if I had a daughter, I would rather have her be like Hope Solo that her "vaunted teammates." At least Solo is honest; I can't say that about her sorority sisters.

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | June 25, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Just to clarify: Scurry made those remarks about Mullinix several years later, not in the middle of the 2000 Olympics while Mullinix was between the pipes. That difference in context may or may not be significant. Otherwise, I'm not taking sides, and nothing I said should be construed as suggesting that I am. As I noted above, to judge by Jere Longman's reporting in the NYT, Scurry and Solo seem to have moved on, which may be a good idea for the rest of us.

Posted by: tri-village | June 25, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse