What's the Lineup?

Tom Soehn did not reveal his starters for tomorrow night's match against New York at Estadio RFK -- no surprise there -- but with Marcelo Gallardo and Bryan Namoff suspended, he is going to have to make some adjustments.

You can certainly read into these comments:

"Right now we are moving in a real steady direction and we want to stay consistent, not only consistent in our performances but consistent in the way we approach the game on a weekly basis so the guys are not posed new questions. They know what they are in for. Now if you take one piece out and add another piece, they know what they are getting into."

"When you are going through the same process week in and week out, it's just taking one name out and replacing another. If you have done a good job working on it during the week, that person will know his role in the system."

Toss that information into the Insider's Babel Fish coaching translator and you get Rod Dyachenko replacing Gallardo and either Marc Burch or Domenic Mediate on the backline.

How would you like to see United line up tomorrow from a player and formation standpoint?

By Steve Goff  |  June 13, 2008; 12:04 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: CONCACAF Poll

Comments

I know many are wary of the 3-5-2, but with the Cows missing JPA (or at least slowed by injury) and Jozy, do we put 3 in the back (Martinez, Peralta, McT) and add bodies in midfield to clog things up and help make up for Gallardo's time out?

Posted by: 22206 | June 13, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Aiiiiieeeeeeeeee! Rod the Destroyer! Run in fear!

This will be an interesting test, actually. DCU has two players getting regular minutes who simply shouldn't be playing on a contending MLS team (Rod and Zach). Both will presumably be starting tomorrow. Can this team win, or even stay competitive, with those black holes in the lineup?

I think that RBNY has enough problems of their own, and that we can and should win. But it's quite a handicap.

Posted by: Grunthos | June 13, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Hot ROD!!! I'll keep my hopes up that he can step in and do a good job. Not holding my breath, but I'll give the guy a chance sine he doesn't make my heart jump as much as Wells.

Posted by: downtown | June 13, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Fred in the middle please. Dyachenko or Kirk on the wing. I don;t think Dyachenkos is bad, but I don't think he's the right guy in the middle - based on what I've seen.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 13, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

@I-270 - I would love to see Fred get a shot in the middle and while we certainly haven't seen much with Kirk I wouldn't mind seeing him get a run out wide.

As far as the wide players are concerned it may be a good idea to get someone on the right side that will keep Dane Richards occupied as much as possible since he seems to produce quite a bit of the RB's offense.

Either way I hope we stick it to them hard tomorrow.

Posted by: TheCoreSpeaks | June 13, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

perhaps we misread coach. codiero on wing, tino in middle. sorry, chiken grease on my fingers, no shift button.

Posted by: dr | June 13, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

lets keep Rod off the field before he dives in and kills somebody

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

4-4-2
Wells
Mctavish-Peralta-Martinez-Burch
Quaranta-Simms-Dyachenko-Fred
Moreno-Emilio

Subs: Carvallo, Carroll, Mediate, Stratford, Kirk, Cordiero, Neill

Posted by: Josh | June 13, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see 10 players a goalie again, for sure.

And actually if Dyachenko starts, odds are we finish with 9 players and a goalie.

Nasty mid-air collision between two Romanians in the Italy/Romania game. Hope that dude is alright, didn't look like he lost consciousness.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 13, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Soehn put Fred in Gallardo's spot and insert Cordeiro on the left (unless Gros is ready to return from retirement). In the back, play McTavish wide right and Burch wide left w/Peralta and Martinez in the middle.

Posted by: ahelms | June 13, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

stay with 4-4-2

Posted by: arlington for United | June 13, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Rod and Zach are not MLS Calibar players. It speaks volumes of the lack of bench strength with United that they are playing.

Posted by: Nick | June 13, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I'll be the dissenting voice of conventional wisdom here just for argument's sake:

Wells
Burch - McTavish - Peralta - Martinez
Quaranta - Simms - Fred - Cordeiro
Moreno - Emilio

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 13, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I am so tired of Dyachanko ... it's pathetic we go directly from Gallardo to Dyachenko. He was supposed to prove me wrong several seasons ago. I'm bored reading his name again, and again, and again... and never because of stellar play.

Please upgrade that spot!

Posted by: grumpy | June 13, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Wells
Burch - McTavish - Peralta - Martinez
Quaranta - Simms - Fred - Cordeiro
Moreno - Emilio

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | June 13, 2008 1:03 PM
------------

I like this. Keep Rod on the bench. Cordeiro seems to be improving. Let's give him a run and put Fred in the middle, where he usually ends up anyway.

Posted by: jpeace121 | June 13, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

we can't even get rid of Rod when we trade him!!

Posted by: grumpy | June 13, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd most prefer dropping Jaime into Gallardo's spot, and either moving Tino up to withdrawn forward, Fred to the right, and Cordeiro to the left, or even throwing Rod or the Midget into the withdrawn forward spot.

Posted by: jrnail23 | June 13, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

According to a reliable source, Dyachenko was at the Jamie Lidell show at 9:30 last night. Make of that what you will.

Posted by: Colm | June 13, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I think you've pegged it Goff. Soehn wants each player to be as comfortable and familiar with a position, so I suspect we'll see the following:

G:----------------Wells-----------------
D:-------Peralta--------McTavish--------
D:-Martinez--------------------Mediate--
M:----------------Simms-----------------
M:-Quaranta---------------------Fred----
M:--------------Dyachenko---------------
F:-----------Moreno---------------------
M:----------------------Emilio----------

This will give Rod Dyachenko more minutes to get comfortable with starters so when he comes in a sub in later games, he's that much more prepared. It also allows Mediate to gain more minutes in Defense.

That leaves Burch, Cordeiro, and Doe as the most likely substitutes.

I suspect Red Bull New York will put out a similar line-up that they did against Chivas, unless they feel that without Gallardo on the field, they don't need two defensive midfielders.

F:-----------------Angel-----------------
M:-----------------Magee-----------------
M:-Borman----------------------Richards--
M:---------Stammler---van den Bergh------
D:--Leitch------------------Goldthwaite--
D:------------Boyens---Park--------------
G:----------------Conway-----------------

Dane Richard is going to be a challenge, and that may cause United to move Mediate to Right back so that a quicker/smarter Martinez can neutralize him.

Despite Angel's current form and scoring numbers, the way our defense tends to "nod off" for brief moments of a game, he's going to be very dangerous. Wells had better keep his central defenders alert, even if that means berating them when less threatening plays get through.

As for United's offense, I don't see Red Bull New York being able to shut everyone down. Even without Gallardo, between Fred, Moreno, Emilio, and Quaranta, New York will have their hands full.

If I were a betting man, I'd feel comfortable betting on United. New York is hardly the same team they were at the end of last season, and United's current form has them playing better than they finished the '07 Season.

I go with a 3-1 United win. Still no clean sheet though. I think that's several games off.

Posted by: TCompton | June 13, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Please not Dyachenko. He should be given a Red Bulls Shirt, since Dyachenko will be passing the ball to them for about 7 or 8 times in the game. Why doesn't Schoen use Cordiero or anybody else but Dyachenko. He is awful.
Viva D C United.

Posted by: Leo | June 13, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko aint no wheel man...
Moreno would do better I think.
Dyachenko up front with Emilio.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 13, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

My desire:

------------ Simpson -------------

Vaudreul -- Pope -- Llamosa -- Goose

Harkes ------- Williams ------ Sanneh

------------- El Diablo -------------

-------- Moreno ----------------------

-------------------- Lassiter --------

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 13, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

TCompton,

Reports are that JPA is out

Posted by: JH6 | June 13, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

My desire:

------------ Simpson -------------

Vaudreul -- Pope -- Llamosa -- Goose

Harkes ------- Williams ------ Sanneh

------------- El Diablo -------------

-------- Moreno ----------------------

-------------------- Lassiter --------
____________________________________
Aren't those guys a little old, even against Red Bulls? ;)

Posted by: schmuckatelli | June 13, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Bench Payne

Posted by: Coach | June 13, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

My lineup is a bit different, as I'd rather see Quaranta in the middle than Fred. I think Fred is dangerous on the wing, and we've learned the past few games that Quaranta can't cross on target, so I'd like to see him in more of a holding role in the middle. Moreno as the playmaker. And Burch on the left side of midfield to keep Dane Richards occupied and provide some defensive help when needed.

--------------------Wells----------------------
McTavish-Mediate-Peralta-Martinez
-------------------Simms---------------------
--Fred---------Quaranta---------Burch--
-------------------Moreno---------------------
-------------------Emilio-----------------------

Posted by: DCUMD | June 13, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Why does Rod DyaSTINKO keep getting chances to show just how craptacular he is?

Why in the world didn't we let this guy go off to Toronto and foul up their team?

And what's the deal with his haircut?

Posted by: Randy | June 13, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

No no no no to Dyachenko. He should not be on the field. He loses possession, falls down, and makes bad late challenges more than any single player in the league. He's a bust, face it. United has wasted its resources trying to develop this kid.

Posted by: G-Dub | June 13, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Have has seen on some website "DP Coming June 2008"?

What is this all about? Whose coming to the MLS?

Posted by: Michael | June 13, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Mediate isn't a CB. That experiment failed.

----------------Wells-----------------

If not, then . . .

...O'Neal...Emilio
......Jaime......
Fred........Quaranta
.....Simms......
Burch.Mart.Per.McT

Let's give O'Neal another look while we're playing well and he's had his "time out."

Posted by: Glaucon | June 13, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Alec,
Can you remind me when the Mediate at CB experiment failed? Was it in the 2-2 tie with New England when he and McTavish held their own on the road against the team in first place? Or maybe there was some other time that I'm forgetting...

Posted by: DCUMD | June 13, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Here is what we should do:

---------------Wells--------------
McTavish--Perlata--Martinez--Burch
---------------Simms--------------
---Quaranta----------------Fred---
---------------Moreno-------------
--------Niell----------Emilio-----

And I say start Wells with a sigh.

Posted by: Asher | June 13, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc: If you're going to have Vaudriel, Goose, and El Diablo in your lineup, you need Maessner to complete the 80's heavy metal, four man hair band .

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 13, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Put our best 11 on the field and Rod is not a part of that. Burch to left back with Gonzalos in the middle. Right side your choice of Mediate/MacT in right back and right mid. Simms in the middle. Tino left mid and if Dane runs past him twice swap with right mid. Fred at CAM with Jaime and Emilio up top.

Posted by: JMR | June 13, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Dear American Soccer Fans,

If you must copy the styles and traditions of European fans, how about singing your National Anthem instead of remaining silent?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 13, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I considered Maessner because of his work rate, but went with Sanneh's ability in the air. But your hair connection makes sense.

Come to think of it, I could see Etcheverry singing some Ronnie James Dio tunes...

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 13, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Am I just not as down on Rod as everyone else here? He gets limited minutes, usually after the game is a forgone conclusion. He picks up a few cards, but he's scored a few goals too in various competitions. It'll be nice to see him get a legitimate start or two.

At worst, I think he's inconsistent, but I don't mind giving him a few more chances. Everyone's been inconsistent this year.

Posted by: viv | June 13, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Les Bleus - come one, not looking good

Posted by: downtown | June 13, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Rod, in my mind, is at best a USL caliber player. Keeping him off the field gives DCU their best shot at winning. I'd go with Fred in the middle and Cordiero out wide. Definitely Burch for Namoff. Then you've got Mediate ready to replace either Burch or Cordiero should they not perform.

Posted by: BB | June 13, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Umm, can't have Burch for Namoff as Burch does not physically possess a right foot.

I'd also be hesitant at playing Cordeiro against Dane Richards. Which is the main reason I'd keep Fred at LM, otherwise I'd love to have Fred at CAM or Withdrawn Forward.

DCUMD, that 2-2 draw with the Revs would have been a win if it weren't for Mediate at CB, and I'm not sure he'd be a good substitute on the left side for Burch or Cordeiro, which is why I'd start him at RB and McTavish at RM. I say this as someone who genuinely likes Mediate and his tremendous work-ethic.

I'm really wondering when Soehn will finally stop playing Quaranta at RM. It's just not a good spot for him. He can't cross the ball to save his life, and he's a defensive liability. However, he's great at holding the ball and putting the ball into space for slashing runs. Plus, he's not afraid to take a shot from outside the 18. Sounds like a natural candidate for CAM when Gallardo is out to me... Also, McTavish looked solid at RM during CONCACAF and early in the season prior to getting injured.

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 13, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arlington for United | June 13, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Second string Netherlands squad if they can catch a quick flight over here!

Posted by: Orange 14 | June 13, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

----------Wells----------------
McTavish-Peralta-Martinez-Burch
----------Simms-------------
Fred-----------------Cordeiro
---------Moreno--------------
-----Quaranta---Emilio-----

Posted by: United fury | June 13, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

What a team of Orange revolution! Duth oven franch toast, i like that.

Posted by: arlington for United | June 13, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

or a 3-5-2
----------Wells-----------
McTavish-Peralta-Martinez-
----Simms----Stratford----
Fred---------------Burch-
---------Moreno-----------
---Quaranta-----Emilio---

Posted by: United fury | June 13, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Stratford might help with ball distribution with Gallardo out.

Posted by: United fury | June 13, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

4-4-2:
Wells,
Mediate, Mctavish, Peralta, Martinez
Symms
Fred Burch
Moreno
Quaranta
Emilio

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I was pretty impressed with Fred in the middle during the late stages of the game in Chicago. He will turn the ball over more than Gallardo, but he also works extremely hard and gets his fair share of tackles in, something that seems to have been overlooked.

That said, I strongly doubt we'll see it. Soehn is higher on Dyachenko than virtually anyone in the world, so that's who we'll see. My biggest problem with Dyachenko is that he's inconsistent. He can definitely play, but we see his lesser qualities all too often. At some point, he's got to become a reliable professional. He also could use some work on his Kovalenko-esque tackles.

Dane Richards poses a big question for us. If we play Burch at LB, he's going to have to handle Richards by himself numerous times. I like Burch, but I don't know if his defensive instincts are there yet (not to mention the large speed gap between the two). I'm more confident in Martinez being able to shut down their only real creative threat from midfield. This, naturally, means we need another CB. Most of us seem to be set on choosing between 2 combinations:

McTavish - Martinez - Peralta - Burch

or

McTavish - Mediate - Peralta - Martinez

I think we're all missing the fact that Mediate can also play at RB, thus leaving 3 of our 4 normal 1st choice defenders in place. They say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So, I really hope we see a back four of Mediate - McTavish - Peralta - Martinez tomorrow night.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 13, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

------Emilo--Moreno-----
----------Tino----------
Fred------------McTavish
----------Sims----------
Burch-Martinez-Peralta-Mediate

Im not sure about this back line though! wells has consistently show poor communication, especially with Martinez! having him play CB could be a bad move. the only other option would be to move McT to CB and Martinez to LB. Moreno to RM and Doe to forward....good idea?

Posted by: XioPik | June 13, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

wait i just checked, Doe is still out on international duty! so i guess martinez at CB is our best bet

Posted by: XioPik | June 13, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

XioPik:

Moreno will never play right midfield. We would change formations first. We'd be much more likely to move Fred to the right and start Cordeiro (assuming the rest of your proposed formation was what we were using).

***

For what it's worth, here's the NY injury report:

Out:
Megaloudis (Puerto Rico national team)
Palacio (knee)

Questionable:
Parke (ankle sprain)
Reyna (hamstring strain)
Richards (ankle sprain)
Echeverry (knee)
Angel (hamstring strain)

Probable:
Sassano (toe)

Judging from how severe Angel's limp was for the last few minutes against Chivas, I'd say he's got no more than 60 minutes in him, and perhaps less. That leaves NY with Wolyniec as their only real option up front that's fit. I wouldn't be surprised to see them field Wolyniec alone up front and try to hold the game at 0-0 for the first hour, then bring on Angel later to try to snatch a win. Just as important for them will be whether Richards can play or not, since he is responsible for the bulk of their ability to create chances. Finally, you've got to hope Parke is out and gets replaced by Mendes...a CB pairing of Boyens and Mendes is just begging to have 3 or 4 put past them.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 13, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I say 4-4-2

Wells in goal
McTavish, Peralta, Matinez, Burch on defense
Quaranta, Simms, Fred, Cordeiro in midfield
and Moreno and Emilio up top
Subs:
Carvallo, Kirk, Mediate, Dyachenko, Stratford, P. Carroll, and Niell

Posted by: person | June 13, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

3-5-2 per United Fury looks ok.
We need to score early and often. Duhhh.
I really hope they don't use Dychenko as anything but a Striker.
dont give him a chance to screw up put him up top with Emilio.
-----------Wells--------------
Mediate-Peralta--Marintez-Burch
----------Simms---------
---Mctavish------Fred----
--------Moreno------
------Quaranta--------
---------Emilio-------
Sub in Dychenko for Emilio if he has not scored two Goals after an hour.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 13, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Orange 14 said: Second string Netherlands squad if they can catch a quick flight over here!

That won't work. The Dutch second squad has to prepare for the third game in group play.

Their first team will be rested. I think playing for DC against the Red Bulls would qualify as a rest for them.

Posted by: Doug | June 13, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I think Rod is much, much better than many are giving him credit for. His biggest problem is the late challenge. When he begins to realize that he's not just in the lineup to provide a physical presence he will do better. That said, I'm not sure he will be a starter. Coreiro on the wing, Burch at left back, and Fred moving inside is more likely. But I expect to see Rod before the night is over, subbing for Fred, Jaime, or Santino.

Posted by: Hedbal | June 13, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Simple 4-4-2
-----Wells
mediate, Peralta, Martinez,Burch
McTavish, ---Simms---, Fred
-----------Moreno
-Quarantra, --Emillo--

This line up should win 4-0, so Soehn won't do it.
Rod needs to be released as does O'Neal and Doe. Cordeiro & kirk show potential these players need game time. Simms needs to step it up and show return on the investment in keeping him, when others were allowed to go. His speed of play, passing efficeintcy, and sense of transitional balance are not where they need to be as our primary holding mid.

Just throwing it out there.

Posted by: Damn u red cards!!! | June 14, 2008 3:12 AM | Report abuse

Simple 4-4-2
-----Wells
mediate, Peralta, Martinez,Burch
McTavish, ---Simms---, Fred
-----------Moreno
-Quarantra, --Emillo--

This line up should win 4-0, so Soehn won't do it.

Just throwing it out there.

Posted by: Damn u red cards!!! | June 14, 2008 3:12 AM | Report abuse

Simple 4-4-2
-----Wells
mediate, Peralta, Martinez,Burch
McTavish, ---Simms---, Fred
-----------Moreno
-Quarantra, --Emillo--

This line up should win 4-0, so Soehn won't do it.

Just throwing it out there.

Posted by: Damn u red cards!!! | June 14, 2008 3:12 AM | Report abuse