Who Is Andrei Arshavin?

You just saw him tear apart the Dutch. Now watch and learn about Russia's 27-year-old sensation from Zenit St. Petersburg:

By Steve Goff  |  June 21, 2008; 5:20 PM ET
Categories:  European Championship
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Revved Up for Euros
Next: Matchday DCU, USA, Europe

Comments

Who is Andrei Arshavin you ask, Goff? Well he is none other than out next DP. :) Probably not anymore, now that he's gone all showcase on us in some minor tourney that's playing on TV right now.

Seriously, this is one very talented guy. Correct me if I'm wrong here people, but I saw him make big sides look seriously flawed in Zenit's glorious UEFA cup run. With such success on that stage and now with the Euros, I say at that peaking age of 27 he opts to move on and make bank for a way bigger club. With B*tchyano Ronaldo becoming, well, a punk, maybe Arshavin plays for my glorious United (ahem...the other United).

Posted by: Kosh | June 21, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Arshavin is a sensational player! The best player I have seen so far in this Euo! Such a talent and a lot of character and leadership as well.
I heard that Wenger was looking closely at him. I hope he will go to Arsenal!! :)

Posted by: Charles | June 21, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

To borrow a phrase from Spike Lee:

He Got Game.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 21, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Now that's a DP!!! (Just kidding)

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 21, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Arshavin to DC UNITED!!!!
(or Arsenal...)

Posted by: bob | June 21, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

While Arshavin would be in my opinion the perfect DP-type player for raising the level of play in the league, he's been raising eyes around Europe since he tore Bayern apart in the UEFA Cup and thus attracted our interest. Zenit have no desire to sell him and say the price could be upwards of $30 mil euro. The Euros will only drive this price up.

And if Arsenal get their way, like all the Big 4 teams seem too, he'll be a gunner in the fall. Sigh.

Posted by: AJ | June 21, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

So riddle me this Insider Nation on this hypothetiocal: Bruce Arena or Bob Bradley one day goes rogue and coaches a Mexico side that knocks out the US in the God Cup or worse yet the World Cup. What is he to you...

A traitior?
A good coach?
A deadman walking?

Just curious as a part of me wants to know how Hiddink is viewed in Holland tonight, and they are way more soccer crazy than we are.

The chatter on here is low today, I thought I toss that one out there to get it going.

Posted by: Kosh | June 21, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow. What a player!

Also. I don't think the person who made that video knows what that song is about.

Posted by: A | June 21, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

==========================================

I'm sure they expected him to do his best, just as he did against Russia's three previous opponents in this tournament, and just as he did when he was in the employ of South Korea, Australia, and all his other teams. The alternative is unthinkable.

Posted by: tri-village | June 21, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what the Dutch think of Hiddink, but I am curious how much money the USSF will throw at him in Sept. 2010... I realize he spurned them this time -- smartly, because of the dearth of talent and high-profile competitions -- but it might be a different picture in 4 years...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | June 21, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Arsenal won't pay the money he'll be getting this summer. Should be a certain club in Manchester that will have plenty of cash after they offload a winger to Real Madrid.

Posted by: Kev | June 21, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

is there a freedom game after dc tomorrow????and who are they playing if so

Posted by: chris | June 21, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

The Freedom plays Richmond in the second game:

Posted by: tri-village | June 21, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

If Guus had coached the germans past the dutch, then your analogy might work...russia really isn't a traditional rival of the oranje

Posted by: Skyler | June 21, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I thought Kolodin had a heck of a game, too...

Posted by: RK | June 21, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skyler | June 21, 2008 9:12 PM
=========================================

Even then, what is he supposed to do? Recuse himself?

Posted by: tri-village | June 21, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Arshavin is a tremendous talent, but I would like to see a You Tube of Kolodin's best shots. I don't think I've seen anyone who puts so much power on the ball. Oh, you want them to actually find the net? Well, that's a different matter.

Posted by: Hedbal | June 21, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Prediction: If Ronaldo leaves during the off-season (which I highly doubt will happen) , Arshavin will be a Red Devil Next season....

...Should Ronaldo stay put...I see Arshavin heading for London and tuning Blue...

Posted by: Douglas | June 21, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Kosh - I'm just speculating, but I think a country with a glut of top quality coaches like Holland would probably be far more accustomed to seeing their guys coach other countries.

So I'm sure it stings, but I don't think it would be perceived quite the same as a US citizen coaching for Mexico and beating the US.

Posted by: JDO | June 22, 2008 2:13 AM | Report abuse

loved watching zenit tear their way to the uefa cup title, BUT

the goal at minute 3:22, is that legal? with everyone walking away from the ball, and he being behind the last defender, does that not make him offsides? or what's uefa's interpretation

Posted by: woah | June 22, 2008 3:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JDO | June 22, 2008 2:13 AM

pass from out of play (with hands) can't be offside

that's fifa rules

Posted by: jura | June 22, 2008 4:17 AM | Report abuse

Hedbal, i didn't find a summary, but here iz one of the best Kolodin's shots:

Posted by: Volokno | June 22, 2008 4:56 AM | Report abuse

Ребята, Да это лучший игрок Зенита. Они возьмут Супер-кубок!

Posted by: Жэк | June 22, 2008 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Andrei Arshavin has opened the potential very much for a long time. When to he there were 20 years he debuted in a basis of Zenith and became the main opening of the championship of Russia of 2001. First he played the right halfback, however it badly fulfilled in defense and he had problems in career. Until then while the Czech trainer of Zenith has not found to he a new position-delayed attacking

Posted by: Fan | June 22, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Good vid, but seriously better music please.

Posted by: the jim | June 22, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Американцы вы неудачнеги :))

Posted by: Дарк | June 22, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Шава - лучший! А вы спрашиваете, кто он! ппц ребята...

Posted by: Петро | June 22, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I was amazed by his ball control and tenacity.... and the fact that he is 27! He looks 10.
If he goes to ManU they would have the shortest forwards ever.

Posted by: jgildea | June 22, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Great video. However, they forgot to show funniest Arshavin goal...the one where he nutmegged Van der Sar last night. That was great! Van der Sar must have been thoroughly embarrassed:)

Posted by: BigWave | June 22, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

But wasn't the shot deflected by a defender? The term "nutmeg" suggests a 1-on-1 encounter.

Posted by: tri-village | June 22, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Медведы вперед!

Posted by: Medved | June 22, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

AJ wrote: "he's been raising eyes around Europe since he tore Bayern apart in the UEFA Cup"
he didn't took part in that game. lol

Posted by: san_piter | June 22, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Bigger question, where is Goff? It's game day and I miss my morning issue of Goff.

Posted by: JSF | June 22, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

When Arena left/was fired from the USMNT, I think he made it clear he wanted to coach somewhere in Europe. Now he is an analyst. What US based coach has had success outside the US? Steve Sampson? [cue sound of crickets chirping].

Nice parody photo posted here:

Posted by: MR Caretaker | June 22, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

That Arshavin video is just plain nasty.

Posted by: black shirt | June 22, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

His ball control is insane, or are those defenders just plain weak?
I too was surprised at how old he actually is, he looks very young.
Love to see him at Arsenal next year.

Posted by: Dadryan | June 22, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

We, Russians call him Shava. He played for Zenit for years, now it is his big time to make much noizzze in Europe. Hope, he will play in Arsenal, not some ...Castle or some ...Smouth. He really deserve it, and Arsenal style suits him at full. But please, NO CHELSEA !

Posted by: Shooroopski | June 22, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I learned about him the hard wy - UEFA Euro 2008 the game. Anyone who uses Russia tears up the field with him.

Posted by: Dave Martinez | June 22, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Again agree with him @ Arsenal.
I'd buy that Jersey for a dollar!!!

Posted by: Dadryan | June 23, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Аршавин из зе бест плэйер оф зе сэнтёри!

Раша вил шурели кик испаниан эс аут оф зе чемпионшип.

Ю мэй белив ми. =)

Posted by: Axer | June 23, 2008 3:05 AM | Report abuse

I swear I felt like I was watching a Cruyff highlight reel. Check out the other video titled "Simply the best" on that video page and they show his service. Unreal.

Posted by: Grotus | June 23, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Ashavin is good no doubt. But let's not crown him king based on one good tournament.

Posted by: Bart | June 23, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse