All-Star Roster Announcement

Revs Coach Steve Nicol has added five players to the roster: Houston goalkeeper Pat Onstad, Toronto defender Jim Brennan, New York forward Juan Pablo Angel and Colorado midfielders Christian Gomez and Pablo Mastroeni.

Commish Don Garber chose Los Angeles forward Edson Buddle and Houston midfielder Dwayne De Rosario.

Hmmm, the game is being held in Toronto and three Canadians were added to the roster (Onstad, Brennan and De Rosario). Not a coincidence. Don't blame Nicol.

No Luciano Emilio (10 goals), Javier Morales (seven assists) or Jon Busch (0.93 gaa).

Fear not: More will be added later this week when the Olympic team is announced and players such as Michael Parkhurst, Sacha Kljestan and perhaps Robbie Rogers are not available for the all-star festivities.

By Steve Goff  |  July 15, 2008; 2:10 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boca Juniors in D.C.
Next: Matchnight SuperLiga: DCU-Atlante

Comments

Why on earth do you pick Angel over Emilio? I mean its supposed to be based on MLS play right, not career?

Posted by: Mike in LA | July 15, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Um, this may be the first time I'm not at all interested in the All-Star game.

It's not because of West Ham - they are a fine opponent.

It's not because it's in Canada - they deserve it.

It's not because there are no United players on the team - only one good month during the voting.

No - I'd rather that ESPN picked up SuperLiga or that SUM had talked Telefutura into being allowed to fold that into the TV rights. Now talk about good television for our rising league.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | July 15, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

surely morales comes for rogers, but what a joke onstad is picked over busch.

Posted by: ben | July 15, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

But Ben, Onstad has 3 whole wins this season. That equals All Star in Canadian soccer. So what happened to the news that Ralston was going to be named?

Posted by: Jeff | July 15, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

lolAllStarGame

Posted by: GoUnited | July 15, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Parkhurst,Emo, and Rockin' Robbie to the Olympics sounds good to me.
Let the "superstars" Gomez and Mastroeni (rolling my eyes) play in the least important game of the year! Bravo all stars!
I AM STILL LOOKING FOR A SOCCER BAR OR FRIENDLY PLACE WHO MIGHT THROW ON THE DCU/ATLANTE GAME IN SAN LUIS OBISPO CALIFORNIA!!!!!
aNY HELP FOLKS?
SURPRISINGLY THE DISH NETWORK IN THE PLACE I'M STAYING AT DOESN'T HAVE TELEMUNDO... BUMMER WITH THE TIVO AND ALL...
THANKS GOFF AND SI LOYALISTS!

Posted by: dadryan | July 15, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I save more than those two - then I'll get Gold in China!

Posted by: Hope Solo | July 15, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Dont know about TV, but if you try www.rojadirecta.com you will find links to sites showing the game.

Posted by: juanma | July 15, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about the all-star match? Just an unnecessary distraction for DC at this point. The focus is one thing: MLS cup.

Posted by: Bart | July 15, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

DC getting snubbed is perfectly fine, considering that there is a match v. houston 2 days prior to this meaningless kickball exhibition.

Posted by: d, dc | July 15, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I really don't see how Nicol picked J.P.A. over Luci. If you ask me, I think Nicol is racist against our nation's capital. I mean, I'm not surprised that none of the defenders were picked, D.C.'s the only team in MLS without a shutout, but that's just rough to discriminate D.C. United like that. I say next year, there oughta be a coach who'll get United players on the All-Star team. It's ridiculous that Nicol hates D.C. United

Posted by: person | July 15, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

The concept of an All Star game is fine with me. However that game should be played after the season ends and include a full season of play for voting purposes.

Once MLS Cup is over, I'm usually seaking a soccer fix and will and except a meaningless All Star game to fill the void.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case and I will once again not watch it.

Oh well... On the glass is half full side of things, at least we have a league for which an All Star team can be selected.

Posted by: TCompton | July 15, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

It's not surprising that Javi Morales didn't get picked for the team, (RSL have jsut barely come into a position of strength, and their road form is terrible), but still really sad. The guy is on fire and a quality player. As much as the All-Star game has always been about marketing, this year's game just reeks of it. No thanks MLS.

Posted by: elopingcamel | July 15, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

person = Sepp Blatter

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | July 15, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Telefutura not on Fios!

Posted by: Bummed | July 15, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Garber and Nichols. We needed Emilio in the All Star game about as much as we need Zach Wells.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

The All Star Game is fun. I like it, always have. As such, though, it should be played after the MLS season is over, or some other time in the offseason. And I wouldn't mind if they went back to the East v. West format. However, if no DC United players are named to the roster, that's fine with me. Let the players rest up and get healthy for the stretch run.

Posted by: Ron | July 15, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

When was the last time there were 2 Rapids and 0 DC? Hooray 4 Nicol!

Posted by: Mehdi Blue Cheese | July 15, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Steven - could you explain your comment about not blaming Nicol? MLS mgmt is telling him who to pick? AS games are almost always a joke, and the MLS one is clearly no different. When leagues turn these games into jokes, it definitely impacts my interest level negatively.

Posted by: Drew | July 15, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

WOW......talk about some Canuck love.

Emilio, Segares, and Ralston need to be the replacements for Olympic call-ups.

Wait don't include Segares as I'd rather he not get hurt in a meaningless match. So go ahead and include Wynne or someone else like Chad Marshall.

Posted by: Gilly73 | July 15, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

This is off topic, I know, but I just thought I'd let anyone that's thinking of making the roundabout trip to Cuba know that all the new US passports have a "smart chip" for easy access to your information when traveling...a great idea, other than the fact that these chips *can* be tracked from a distance.

If you go and you have a new passport (circa may-ish 2007, I think) you might consider wrapping it in tin foil if you think the gov't is really that worried out it.

In the meantime I'll just use my Aussie passport and not have to worry about a thing!

Posted by: Skyler | July 15, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

FYI, according to Ives, Claudio Reyna just annouced his retirement, effective immediately. Interesting?

Posted by: donkey king | July 15, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

sorry, here's the link:

Posted by: donkey king | July 15, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

looks like Reyna is hanging the boots

Posted by: koolcaio | July 15, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Good point, Ron. I would like the All-Star Game more if it was at the end of the season. I don't claim to know how that would work, but I like the idea. Right now it feels like more of a hassle than it is worth, because it pulls players away from their teams when there are other, more meaningful games to be played.

The other problem I have with it, is that the other teams will often play friendlies against other MLS sides right before or after the All-Star game. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that European clubs come here at all to play against our sides, but it diminishes the importance of the All-Star game for me, because it reinforces the truth that for the other team, this is no more than a pre-season friendly. All-Star victories always ring somewhat hollow. I'd prefer the East vs. West format again, personally.

Posted by: elopingcamel | July 15, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"SURPRISINGLY THE DISH NETWORK IN THE PLACE I'M STAYING AT DOESN'T HAVE TELEMUNDO"

You might want to ask about Telefutura not Telemundo. Different station and the one it is on....

Posted by: Lloyd Heilbrunn | July 15, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

No coincidence that Reyna quits on transfer day. Energie NY got exactly what they expected when they got him.

Why not wear your tin foil hat to Cuba, too?

Posted by: RK | July 15, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Reyna, retiring?

Not at all interesting. I had forgotten he was even still playing - I you call displacing oxygen on the trainer's bench playing.

Single biggest waste of money in the MLS since the DP rule was enacted (he beats out Denilson easily - Dallas at least cut their losses and ditched the player).

Posted by: Erick | July 15, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

A soccer post-season all-star game? You mean the Pro Bowl? The least important and watched of all the major league all star games? Tweak the format (the home run derby yesterday should tip off MLS how compelling a skills competition can be), but leave it midseason. It may be annoying to the players and coaches, but it breaks up the long summer season and brings attention to the league.

Posted by: danj | July 15, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I guess they dont care about winning.

Posted by: West Ham Fan | July 15, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

As others have stated...no DC United players in the All Star match doesn't bother me one bit!!

Steve Nicol can pick all the Revs and Canadians he wants! Maybe it gives them more exposure, but I feel results in the league and the important competitions are what really matter.

The club (DC United) needs to rest - not worry about Super Liga (although beating Houton in back-to-back games would be SWEET - get healthy for the stretch run for the season, US Open Cup Semi-Final, and the beginning of CL play!!

Posted by: Redd | July 15, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

You know what would have been a great idea, staging the Free Kick Masters the night before the All-Star game to generate a lot more interest with all of the star power. But as usual, MLS drops the ball on that one.

Posted by: DC United Fan | July 15, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Why in the world are people grousing over Angel being chosen over Emilio? Let's look at it this way instead: when we play Houston on the 22nd, we'll have Emilio, and they may not have Onstad and DeRosario.

Posted by: Bootsy | July 15, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

They're not going to have DeRo because he's going to FC Kobenhavn.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | July 15, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

""Why on earth do you pick Angel over Emilio? ""

Great selection. I love the idea that our star forward is getting some much needed mid-season rest instead of risking injury in a worthless match. Strong work, Nicol.

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow, there's a bombshell. It will be interesting to see what the red bulls do. Or can do, since I have no idea how the strange rules governing mls rosters and salary caps operate in a situation like this....

Too bad that Reyna's career had to end up like this.

Posted by: stairs | July 15, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

We should all send Garber and Nicol a thank-you note for giving our guys all the motivation they need for the second half and ensuring United comes back rested, ready and with a big chip on their shoulder.

All that's left for me to do now is figure out what I'm doing with those now-open 2 hours the evening of 7/24.

Posted by: CMJ | July 15, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Whether he needed the rest or not, Nicol still should have picked Emilio over Angel. Or Buddle. At least the Commish added the worthy Buddle to the list.

Do we think that Nicol is snubbing DCU players? Cito Gaston, anyone?

Reyna cost us advancement in World Cup 2006 and was one of the most underachieving players for the USA. He won't be missed.

Posted by: United fan in TN | July 15, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: United fan in TN | July 15, 2008 4:51 PM

Way too harsh an assessment in my view. While Reyna was one of many lacking spark in 2006, he was always a professional and represented his country well. I hope to see him continue in the US game in some capacity.

Posted by: JkR | July 15, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steve.

Did you read D'Allpa's article on the Superliga payout?

He didn't blindly believe what one side told him or irresponsibly incite others to believe it without knowing the actual story.

He actually, you know, got as many facts as he could.

Thought better of you Steve.

Posted by: TK | July 15, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

TK is really Sunil Gulati...

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 15, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

To Virginia Blue Blood: If you think I'm Sepp Blatter, you're crazy. I'm a 14-year-old from Central Louisiana! That's right, I'm finally revealing who I am >mwahahaha

Posted by: person | July 15, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

If no one else has noted this -- it seeems that Scott Carson is on his way out of Aston Villa -- probably to Stoke. I guess that Brad Guzan just might be the #1 keeper there --- meaning he won't be on our Olympic squad....

Here's my vote for Keller or Hahnemann -- Marcus really deserves it, at this point.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 15, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

@person,

[Insert backwoods Louisiana comment to mock person's idea that Nicol is a racist]

Too easy mate.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | July 15, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

It's too bad people only remember Reyna's gaffe in 2006 and not the fact that he made the World Cup's Best XI in 2002.

He was all over the pitch in our narrow loss to Germany.

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I think Nicol is racist against our nation's capital.

Posted by: person | July 15, 2008 3:09 PM
=======

Let's see... that makes Nicol a... capitalist?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 15, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Allstarched game. Waste and meaningless. I am glad and all should be that none of the DC players have chosen to this nonsense.

Reyna, a complete biggest wast for MLS and NY Rule.

Garber choosing players is so lame and cheap. Why can't you just do your job and commish.

Posted by: td | July 15, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

RK - I'm not a lunatic worried about gov't conspiracies, the same type of chip is used in other devices entirely for the tracking capabilities. The tin foil thing came out of a pop sci issue about a year ago.

In no way should Reyna be bashed as being unprofessional or lazy. The only reason some people might view him in that way is because the RBNY front office was stupid enough to sign a very injury-prone player who had also left his best years behind him.

Posted by: Skyler | July 15, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I've read Dell'Apa's Superliga piece. In what respects does he say anything that differs radically from what Goff said?

Posted by: tri-village | July 15, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan, just go to
www.superliga2008.com
and watch the live stream. That's what I will do at work tonight.
Oh and stop yelling at us, please.

Posted by: marksman | July 15, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight, some people are bashing Nicol for not selecting DCU players and others are thanking him for not doing so!Up to a couple of weeks ago, how was DC doing, anyway? By the same rationale, Fire fans should be thanking Nicol....
We have 4 revs going and we are in the middle of Superliga, and have Concacaf coming up, how does that help us???
As for the "racist" comment, oh pulease...

Posted by: cammie v | July 15, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

This is actually a good thing, I hope none of our DC guys get picked for this garbage game again WEST F'n HAM of all teams. Really? that's the best MLS can do, the mighty hammers. How about playing a team who actually win regularly like Boca who's in our backyard right now. Better yet get rid of the stupid game all together.

Posted by: JT | July 15, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Thought better of you Steve.

--------------

I'm clearly not as good at my job as you are at yours. Clearly. But thanks for checking in from New York (IP address).

Posted by: Goff | July 15, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Goffer - don't be distracted by the Goffer wannabes. There ane many immitaitons, all inferior.

Now - how about an SI prediction on fine/punishment for Blanco antics? Now that he has apologized, in perfect English: "I sincerely regret my inappropriate actions during the game against D.C. United on Tuesday. I disappointed my Fire teammates and coaches, D.C. United players and staff, Major League Soccer, the U.S. Soccer Federation, and all our fans. I am truly sorry."

"Please fine me 1000 pesos and make me watch the last ten MLS All Stars games as punishment. Lo Siento, amigos, y besame, besame mucho."

OK. The last paragraph was made up. And he did not apoligize to SI lotalists (or the Brava by name), so he is surely SOL.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | July 15, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tip marksman, just got a look and watched bad turn to worse with what I think was Atlante's 3rd goal.
Good news is that the sun is still shining and it sure is beatiful in this part of California!
Avila beach in SLO...;)