Carvallo Gone, Phelan Update

No surprise: D.C. United has released reserve goalkeeper Jose Carvallo, a Peruvian on loan from Universitario who appeared in one regular season match and did not seriously challenge Zach Wells for playing time. In recent matches, rookie James Thorpe had served as Wells's back-up.

Clearly, DCU is planning to sign another goalie in the coming weeks. The club was unable to acquire Wolfsburg's Simon Jentzsch, who ended up going to Turkey. Might free agent Matt Pickens, formerly with Chicago and QPR, be on the radar?

"We will be looking for [a] replacement, but have no comment on candidates," GM Dave Kasper said.

New England's Pat Phelan suffered a concussion last night and will miss at least a week. Here's a statement from the Revs:

He was momentarily unconscious, but regained consciousness before being stretchered off the field. He was taken by ambulance to Massachusetts General Hospital where he was further evaluated. Phelan is expected to be out of action for at least one week

By Steve Goff  |  July 17, 2008; 11:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Introducing the USA Olympic Team.....

Comments

Thanks for that update on Phelan, Goff. Had the looks of a very serious injury. Glad to hear he'll be OK.

Posted by: jpeace121 | July 17, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Good bye Carvallo. Grandma's heart! A goal keeper who was good enough to play in Copa Libertoris and not good enough to to play in MLS is something that I don't understand!
Wolfsburg's Simon Jentzsch, let's hope we hear bad things about him. Otherwise it sucked that we couldn't do a good deal if he was good.

Posted by: td | July 17, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure trading one backup for another is a good move.

Posted by: strago | July 17, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I think Matt Pickens would be a phenomenal pickup... I'm guessing we could bring him in for the $150k or so that we have left on balance from Niell's & Carvallo's salaries (minus the $33k to Joe Vide).

Posted by: jrnail23 | July 17, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"Might free agent Matt Pickens, formerly with Chicago and QPR, be on the radar?"

If Chicago still has his rights, good luck dealing with them. They will NOT want to strengthen a rival without feeling like they came out much better in the deal.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 17, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"After coming to, Phelan stated that he is immediately retiring from MLS to become a minister."

Posted by: Eddie C | July 17, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Call me crazy, but I don't think we need another goalie. Wells has played superb over the last month. It just took him a while to settle in.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 17, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@GoUnited please pass me that spliff..

Posted by: mizage | July 17, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

GoUnited,

You are really crazy if you think Wells has 'settled in' lately...

Posted by: Uniter | July 17, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Wells has made some strides, but you've got to have a second capable goalie in place. Carvallo wasn't it and Thorpe has zero experience.

Posted by: Goff | July 17, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"I'm Zach Wells, DC United. Know your rights."

...does that include the right to good goalkeeping?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

So now 40% of the players brought in by Kasper to turn United into the dominant team in the region didn't even last a season.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | July 17, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

DC has got to turn around it's scouting and talent evaluations. I don't think Kasper has done a thing to help us out. Depth and quality findings have not worked out for us for at least 2 or 3 years.

Posted by: Mulfito | July 17, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

GoUnited,

You are really crazy if you think Wells has 'settled in' lately...

Posted by: Uniter | July 17, 2008 11:55 AM

And you, sir, are blind.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 17, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

GoUnited. Your delirious.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@ Mastodon Juan

Pickens was out of contract with Chicago so I do not believe the Fire maintain any sort of rights to Matt.(although it's always hard to interpret MLS Rules)

I believe Pickens really wants to play in Europe (which is why he turned down an offer from Chicago last year) so coming back to MLS might not be in the cards right now for him. But who knows it might just be a $$$ thing, if DC offers enough maybe he'll come back.

Posted by: Gilly73 | July 17, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

-------------

Huh???

Emilio? Fred? McTavish? Burch? Martinez? Peralta?

hasn't done a thing??

Posted by: DCU Maniac | July 17, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Pickens' contract did run out. Should he sign a contract with MLS in the two years after that (31 Dec 2009?) Chicago would have first rights. If I got the "rules" right. Chicago wanted him, but he wanted more money than was on offer.

Posted by: Cyclone | July 17, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Chicago does have Pickens's rights. If DCU were interested, they would have to negotiate a deal with the Fire.

Posted by: Goff | July 17, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"Call me crazy..."

K. Yer crazy :)

Posted by: TB | July 17, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

For DCU to get Pickens in the single-entity MLS world, they would likely first have to acquire McBride's rights from Toronto and then ship him to Chicago for Pickens.

Given that Wells' play has improved (although it is not where it needs to be), I can see DCU playing it safe here for the rest of the season and getting a USL veteran to have an experienced player on the bench should Wells get hurt and drop in performance. A player who comes to mind might be someone like Crystal Palace USA's Matthew Nelson who was in DCU pre-season camp a few years ago - it would probably cost DCU a friendly game's gate similar to Richmond's deal with Simms.

Posted by: Zman | July 17, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer offensive help to a "name" keeper. I think Wells is good enough. We need more speed and skill on the other half of the field is my humble, web-cast squinting, opinion.

Posted by: SuperLigaFan | July 17, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

td,
if geography, politics and the money were right an MLS team could also be playing in the Libertadores but I still do not see how that would equated to Wells being a great net-minder. I don't care where Carvallo has played or will be playing, if dude cannot unseat Wells then, wow.

GoUnited,
while I will agree that Wells has gained some confidence lately something is still fundamentally wrong with the way he plays his position. While it is something you can live with during the course of a regular season (with some 2-1, 3-1 and the occassional 4-1 wins) that is way to high a risk to take into a high-stakes, meaningful knock-out competition. We need another keeper - who I am not so sure I would call the No. 2 just yet. With any sort of solid competence I think Wells' starting spot is there for the taking.

Posted by: Kosh | July 17, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Has has gotten better. But better than terrible is still not so good. He still looks lost out there from time to time. His positioning sense is very poor. He's been coming up with some good reaction saves lately. But knowing when to come and when to stay is still a problem for him.

If we can scrounge up a better keeper from somewhere we'd be crazy not to.

Posted by: Glenn | July 17, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey DC I'm available. I'll need a year supply of donuts though.

Posted by: Tony Meola | July 17, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I would like to announce my return to professional soccer.

Posted by: Zenga | July 17, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Friends, DC-ans, country folk lend me your knowledge...so if we've picked up Vide (who I thinks was a nice pickup btw) and will be getting a new No. 1 goalie, where does the new trailist (Emiliano) fit in? Just curious.

It would be nice to get the new kid, only for all the confusion he will cause on set plays...
Heaps: "What are you talking about I had Emilio."
Parkhurst: "No! For the tenth time you were suppose to mark Emiliano, not Emilio. DAMN!!"

Posted by: Kosh | July 17, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, now that was bad. Meola and Zenga? Where's Barthez?

Posted by: Chuck | July 17, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

DCU - Please acquire Zach Thornton from NY.

Posted by: DC-Based Dunkin Donut Owner | July 17, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Where's Barthez?

Posted by: Chuck | July 17, 2008 12:44 PM
========

Ici

Posted by: Fabian | July 17, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Its a shame Carvallo didnt work out. I figured he could push Wells in practice and at least start a few regular season and cup games.

Goff, any idea if Carvallo lost interest in the team and being in the States? Every time I saw him (at reserve games, on the bench) he seemed to be closest to Niell. Any idea if Niell being on the outs and then released influenced Carvallo?

Posted by: the cheat | July 17, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

On January 25th, 2008, after an interview with Setanta Sports, Barthez says he plans to race Porsche GT 3s and to play beach soccer in the future.

Posted by: RK | July 17, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

DCU - Please acquire Zach Thornton from NY.

Posted by: DC-Based Dunkin Donut Owner | July 17, 2008 12:48 PM

Yup, I agree. DCUnited needs a bodyguard after the Blanco incident. Now, how about we also get a decent goalie? it is more pressing at the moment

Posted by: juanma | July 17, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't see why United couldn't sign a real veteran keeper that could help with the growth of Wells and Thorpe. Someone like Friedel, Hahneman, Keller etc. I know if we were to acquire Keller it would likely just be for the rest of the season, but that's better than Pickens.

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 17, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I am surprised--no calls for adding defensive talent?

Given Gallardo out, I could see Burch, Fred, and Tino in mid, but ONLY if we had a center back.

Martinez has shown he is best on the outside, and I really like the way the lefties and Fred work together.

Posted by: LD | July 17, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I'll be available after the Olympics.

Posted by: Hope Solo | July 17, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I'll be available after making the Kessel run in twelve parsecs...

Posted by: Han Solo | July 17, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Bill Cosby quote on success:
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone."

PLesa stop trying to please Dyanstenko!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dyachenko hater | July 17, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@Kosh

Two words: Moreno - Marino.

Sigh. I miss Gordon Bradley.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | July 17, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Idea!

Move Dyachenko to CB. No? OK...

Dyachenko... For GK! He has a large frame, natural athleticism, and good dribbling skills... And he might be a better distributor out of the back.

*sighs*

At times, it seems the only player DC fans can collectively state should be a starter is Bryan Namoff.

Posted by: B.A. | July 17, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

What about getting Seitz from RSL? He would be a much better player than Wells. I wonder what it would take?

By the way, Wells may be making some nice saves recently, but he's still not playing the position very intelligently. His biggest problem is positioning and knowing when to come out of his goal.

Posted by: Q | July 17, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

if it wasn't for the fact that DCU already has a DP, I'd say throw a boatload of cash at Miguel Calero and see if he'll come north...charismatic, talented keeper with lotsa 'tude.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: B.A. | July 17, 2008 1:37 PM

Gonzalo Martinez? Clyde Simms?

Posted by: DCU_Rick | July 17, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: B.A. | July 17, 2008 1:37 PM

Gonzalo Martinez? Clyde Simms?

-------

And um, how about Emilio? Moreno? Fred?

Some of y'all have bizarre opinions

Posted by: Barra Barra | July 17, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Not Calero. The last thing United needs is a 37 year old Colombian goalkeeper who is probably well past his prime. If you are going to get an older keeper, make it a Hahnemann or Keller.

Posted by: United fury | July 17, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Could be worse -- at least we're not signing a 37-year-old midfielder (San Jose).

Posted by: RK | July 17, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

DC doesn't need to look far from home for goalkeeping help. Crystal Palace Baltimore has *two* keepers who would be an improvement over Wells.

Posted by: Goose | July 17, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for Zach Wells.

Posted by: spectre | July 17, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Rather than hating on Zach Wells after every sinlge game, we should probably be looking at our terrible CB situation. Peralta makes too many mistakes. We play Burch, a midfielder who played forward at UMD, at CB. MacTavish hasn't exactly been on top of his game either. How about acquiring a quality center back? Possibly being patient for our attacking players to become healthy? Then watch and enjoy as our winning form returns and we bring home a fifth MLS Cup? Just some thoughts.

Posted by: Give Zach a Break | July 17, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 17, 2008 1:00 PM
---------------------------------------------

Sometimes, I get to laugh. Laughter is good. Freidel and Keller are starting for EPL teams, and Hahnemann is starting for at team aiming to make it back up. There isn't enough money in the world -- and certainly not enough money left under the salary cap -- to make such a move possible for DCU.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I won't be at all upset if we don't try to sign Pickens. He was pretty awful in 2 different games against us (DC) last season. I'm sure he had some good games if he managed to keep his starting role but I enjoyed watching him stink it up when he played DC....

Posted by: garbaggio | July 17, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Please note I do not personally feel the above statement to be fact, rather... At various points this year, sentiment has been seen (from more than a few) to cut Martinez, trade Simms, sell Emilio, force Moreno (and Olsen) into retirement, and ship Fred back to Australia.

That said, I wonder if Dyachenko has some something significant in practice to merit his playing time... Well, before the injury list grew.

Posted by: B.A. | July 17, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

There are some great back up keepers in MLS, why are we sticking to wells? Chivas number 2 has come in and fit in nice, preston burpo would be slightly better.

Seitz
thornton
anyone but wells

Posted by: dc fan | July 17, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Pickens would be a marginal improvement over Wells. He's not worth 6 figures, though.

Other keepers mentioned:
Calero - Too old, probably would ask for too much $
Burpo - Sucks
Thornton - You've got to be kidding me
Hahnemann - Starts for Reading
Friedel - Starts for Blackburn, has essentially become an Englishman (accent, anyone?)
Keller - Seattle or retirement

We do need another keeper, but I'd rather allocate more of our resources to a new center back.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 17, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

Although if anything, an accent conjures memories of Harkes. That certainly worked out, didn't it?

Posted by: tri-village | July 17, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 17, 2008 11:49 AM

we do and you are kinda right. I mean it seems to be the TFC way so why not everyone else?

Posted by: papa bear | July 18, 2008 6:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm still out there

Posted by: Jeff Causey | July 18, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Some quality GK's in the USL... Eylander in Seattle has been lights out for a couple of seasons. Matt Jordan in Montreal is solid and on top of that he has plenty of MLS experience. You don't need to spend 6 figures to get a quality GK.

Posted by: DrunkenGoon | July 18, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse