Colorado-Dallas Trade

As we speculated about last week, Dallas has obtained Brazilian midfielder Bruno Guarda, who played for FCD Coach Schellas Hyndman at SMU, from the Rapids. Read the details:

FC Dallas today acquired former SMU midfielder Bruno Guarda from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for the team's natural 2nd and 3rd Round selections in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft and a partial allocation. The Rapids won a special lottery to obtain the rights to Guarda on July 22. Special lotteries are conducted by the league among interested teams for players who are not eligible to be discovered and who were not drafted. Twelve of the 14 teams participated in last week's lottery for Guarda's rights. "I'm very excited to stay in Dallas," said Guarda. "My first priority is FC Dallas, and my second priority is to finish my degree here at SMU, which I have two semesters left. But becoming a professional was something that I've been dreaming about since I was a little kid, and hopefully one day I can make everyone proud at FC Dallas." Guarda scored 15 goals and added 18 assists playing in his three years at SMU for Hyndman. He was a Herman Trophy semifinalist following both his sophomore and junior years (2006 and 2007).

By Steve Goff  |  July 28, 2008; 3:26 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kasper, Soehn Speak
Next: Alvarez to San Jose

Comments

"my second priority is to finish my degree here at SMU"

So there was really no chance he'd play anywhere else...no wonder Colorado got what they got.

Posted by: RK | July 28, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow that was expensive for Dallas. Any word on where on the field he'll play and who he displaces?

Posted by: Eugene | July 28, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd imagine a Toja announcement is coming soon...

Posted by: RK | July 28, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Hyndman just wrote a huge check. Guarda had better be an impact player.

Posted by: yankiboy | July 28, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Alvarez and his attitude could be exiting stage left, once McCarty is back from the Olympics.

What's a partial allocation - a foot? a hand? three toes? They exchange credits in this league like some weird school lunch program. Maybe DCU can trade Dyachenko for some light switches and a box of flashlights.

Posted by: AM | July 28, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Why wouldn't all teams go in the lottery to try and acquire a player that Dallas is known to have wanted? Seems like it would be dumb to not throw your hat in the ring for a shot at the player or some picks from other teams. Is there some cost associated with the lottery process?

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | July 28, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Draft picks are virtually useless. I'd trade all my draft picks for one player who I thought I could trust.

Posted by: Matte | July 28, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, the winning team did have to make a roster move...even if it were no cost, there are quite a few FOs that would screw up a free lunch :)

Posted by: RK | July 28, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

----------

once you win a lottery, you are ineligible for the rest of the season. so any team that won it previously this year would have to sit it out. a team can also choose to pass in order to avoid "winning" it and, thus, remain eligible for possible future lotteries.

Posted by: Goff | July 28, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Why wasn't he drafted? Seems that someone who was considered for the Hermann Trophy might have merited some interest. If college was a concern, it could be possible to do what the Nationals did with Jack McGeary -- sign him, essentially as a summer intern for a few years.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"He was a Herman Trophy semifinalist..."

Herman with two ns, otherwise he's a pretty good card player.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 28, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

let me correct you, draft picks are useless for DC United. They've worked out pretty well for New England.

Posted by: VW&DCU | July 28, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

@ Matte & VW&DCU

I agree with both of you.
I got really carried away when I used the word "HUGE". Guilty as charged.

Posted by: yankiboy | July 28, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

A 2nd round pick isn't bad -- you can still possibly grab generation adidas players with a high 2nd round pick. Need I remind that Jozy Altidore went as a GA in the 2nd round. I would say that's pretty valuable.

Posted by: Eugene | July 28, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

So did Blake Wagner, right after him.

Who?

Posted by: RK | July 28, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I have mixed feelings about him. I love his vision and his passing ability. He seems to not demand the ball enough for a talented AM. For long periods, he gets lost in the shuffle.

2nd and 3rd - seems like a good trade for a potential 2008 low 1st rounder.

Posted by: JSF | July 28, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Lol, you'll have to ask Schellas about Blake Wagner -- he's still a GA at FCD. The point is not that the pick has to be valuable, because we have no idea who will be available. The point is that the option is valuable because a good player *could* be available.

Posted by: Eugene | July 28, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

out of topic but Arsenal has new new jerseys with complete different stlye.

Posted by: just saw | July 28, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

out of topic but Arsenal has new new jerseys with complete different stlye.

Posted by: just saw | July 28, 2008 7:23 PM
=============

Ha Ha. My Eurosnob bro-in-aw has to shell out another $70 for a new jersey.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 29, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse