DCU Update

Quiet morning at the ballpark: United's training session was closed, everyone seemed in an upbeat mood afterward despite the SuperLiga failure and the focus has clearly turned toward tomorrow night's rematch with the Dynamo at RFK.

From the sound of things, Jaime Moreno will be back in the starting lineup. I'd imagine he will play in central midfield behind Luciano Emilio and Francis Doe, with Fred on one flank and perhaps Ryan Cordeiro or Craig Thompson on the other. (Or did Quavas Kirk offer enough Saturday to earn a start?) Marc Burch is also an option on the wing, but with Gonzalo Peralta sidelined, there is not much defensive depth. So look for Bryan Namoff on the right, Devon McTavish joined by either Burch or Gonzalo Martinez in the middle and one of those two guys on the left. Pat Carroll is also a possibility in the back. Rod Dyachenko is in the mix, but I'd be surprised if he started. Newly acquired Joe Vide is now eligible and might see some time.

Sidelined: Gallardo, Peralta, Quaranta, Olsen, Stratford, Mediate, J. Carroll.

How would you like to see DCU line up tomorrow?

On a side note, if you attended the June 4 game that was postponed until tomorrowtonight, your original tickets will be accepted at the stadium. If you no longer have them, contact the club at 202-587-5000 to make arrangements.

By Steve Goff  |  July 21, 2008; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Good, The Bad, The Coyote Ugly
Next: Freddy to Monaco

Comments

Goff - any discussion of when Stratford may be back and fit enough to play?

Posted by: Mickey | July 21, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Stratford has been running, but not fully training yet.

Posted by: Goff | July 21, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Thorpe

Namoff, Martinez, McT, Burch

Cordeiro, Simms, Jaime, Fred

Doe, Emilio

*McTavish seems to need a rest more than anyone else, Carroll seemed to be fine in the role.

*Houston's strengths are the fact that everyone is behind the ball on defense and Ching and DeRo. I believe Holden is with the US Olympic team now? We need to move the ball forward quickly and play ORGANIZED defense for once this season.

Posted by: delantero | July 21, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I suppose the line-up is the best that can be expected.

Between the roster turnover at the beginning of the season and injuries to key players throughout season, United may have a difficult time taking success out of this year.

On the plus side, 2009 should be exciting with so many back-ups getting quality minutes in '08 and there being a full year of acclimation for the newcomers.

Posted by: TCompton | July 21, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Goff, In your last paragraph above, you reference the game "tonight", I hope you mean tomorrow.....

Keep up the great work as always!

Vamos United!!

Posted by: Smitty | July 21, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

DO WE HAVE TO PAY FOR PARKING AGAIN?!

Posted by: Dan | July 21, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Any chance we'll see Zaher play? He seemed to do well in the last game getting in there and winning balls.

Posted by: ML | July 21, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I believe there was a way around paying for parking again. But I don't know if you needed some sort of receipt from last time or how that is supposed to work. Call your ticket rep or the club and they can tell you.

Posted by: Glenn | July 21, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Steven.

Re: parking....my understanding is that they will expect you to provide the parking pass "stub" from that game....hope you saved it...luckily my Brother saved mine.

Let's get back in form, guys and take care of Houston tomorrow night!!

Vamos United!!!!!

Posted by: Smitty | July 21, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Don't start Cordeiro, he can't man-mark.

I'd like to see Martinez in the Middle with Mac. Namoff and Burch on the outside.

Simms w/Moreno. Kirk on right and Fred on the left. Emilio and Doe upfront but I'd rather see Dyachenko w/doe upfront.

Posted by: GP | July 21, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't mind seeing Carroll in there for Burch, who had a horrendous tourny.

Posted by: Glaucon | July 21, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Do I remember correctly that tix are $15 for tomorrow night's game?

Posted by: Fairfax | July 21, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax:

Premium tickets are $20, according to the lovely DCU text message that just cost me 10 cents.

Posted by: d, dc | July 21, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

who cares. This is the worst United team ever.

Posted by: bristol | July 21, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

If Moreno is fit, then the team kind of picks itself. The only spot I could see being up for grabs is the outside midfielder opposite Fred. I might be crazy, but I felt like Thompson seemed cowed by facing his old team Saturday. He played much more within himself, almost like playing the team that cut him loose made him embarrassed. It could be too that they just know him better than Chicago, Chivas, and Atlante did, but he looked different to me than he has in previous appearances.

Kirk did alright Saturday. It looked like he understood that even though the game was essentially over, his play would still be observed and could still amount to something for him personally. I think he did pretty well to at least make an impression. There are still big question marks over him, though, concerning his erratic first touch and his general soccer IQ.

Cordeiro offers the most of the trio going forward, but the least defensively. He plays almost like an old-fashioned winger rather than an outside midfielder. With our defense in its current state, I don't think we can get away with that.

Ultimately, I think we'd be best with Thompson. Hopefully he can get over whatever he felt Saturday and play like he has in the other matches he's been in for us.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 21, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCU_Rick | July 21, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Steve, do you have any more info on whether Martinez is done playing center back? Is he exclusively a left back as far as he and Soehn are concerned?

Not sure if you've heard anything about that from anyone in the locker room.

Thanks

Posted by: Kev | July 21, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Rick -- the problem is that the DCU folks don't control the revenue stream from parking. They didn't get the money from it before, and won't get the money from it now. It's not their decision: it's DCSEC's decision.

Posted by: Bootsy | July 21, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"The DCU rep with whom I spoke told me that you must have the parking stub from June 4. They're numbered (I checked the few I have still on my dash), so I'd bet the parking people will know a number range to look for.

Personally I think this is a crock of s***. The parking revenue was already generated once for this match. They don't need to hit us again."
----------------------------
Pity the Nats aren't in town, or everyone could just dress all whitebread and park over in Lot 7 for free.

Posted by: Gerbil | July 21, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

With the fear of being crucified for putting Burch in the middle instead of Martinez, my lineup is:

----------------Wells----------------
Namoff-McTavish-Burch-Martinez
Fred-Simms-Moreno-Cordeiro
---------Doe------Emilio----------

Posted by: DCUMD | July 21, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Rockwell, do you like Fred in the middle at all?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 21, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
Some are speculating that MLS is avoiding penalizing Blanco until after the all star game so as to not lower viewership.

Should MLS and Blanco get a free pass on this? Perhaps some pointed questions of MLS are in order?

Posted by: David | July 21, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Bootsy,

I'm aware of that. I'm saying that no matter who's getting the revenue, it's a complete farce that anyone who paid for parking to a game 1½ months ago is expected to have their parking stub for that match or they have to pay again.

DCSEC have never been confused for being charitable, and this situation is no different. Still, there's no excuse for this.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | July 21, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I believe i like this better

--------wells----------
-namoff--MacT--Martinez>P.Carroll
-Thompson--Fred--Moreno--Burch
-----Doe---Emilio------

Posted by: 135 | July 21, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I like you line-up 135 I dont know if you did it knowingly but I believe Simms should get some much needed rest maybe come in on the second half

Posted by: Simms Mom | July 21, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

MLS won't act on Blanco until the USSF does. The USSF can't act until all the individuals who oversee the process are available. Sorry, no conspiracy.

Posted by: Goff | July 21, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Namoff, Burch, McTBone, Martinez

Cordeiro, Simms, Thompson

Moreno

Fred, Emilio

What the hey, break it up and play a 4-3-3 with Moreno a bit withdrawn. Houston's defense is rock solid, time to break up their little, boring party.

Posted by: time for something new | July 21, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Any news on the Freddy Adu deal, I hear it is a done deal?

Posted by: rambo | July 21, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Freddy Adu is going to AC Monaco on Loan!!!!DOne Deal

Posted by: me | July 21, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Didnt know this until I looked on the AS Monaco wiki - Chairman of AS Monaco is from the US. He's a US citizen who went to Amherst with one of the Princes of Monaco. He took over in April...Very interesting.

Posted by: the cheat | July 21, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF:

Moving Fred into the middle leaves us in a situation where both of our outside midfielders (at this point, 2 out of Thompson, Cordeiro, and Kirk) are very inexperienced. It also likely pushes Doe, who has been good in the past 4 matches, to the bench (with Moreno and Emilio up top). It's not as much about Fred as it is the structure of the entire team. If things go very well (or very poorly), I bet you see Moreno pulled early to rest him, with Fred going into the middle.

Well, that or Dyachenko coming in to the collective groan of around 12,000+ people.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 21, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of Pat Carroll instead of Burch. That long throw in alone is worth it. Plus Burch has been terrible lately. Bad on the defensive end and all of his freekicks and corners have been about 2 inches off the ground and useless...other than the Doe goal the other night.

I trust everyone has seen the weather forecast for tomorrow night. Thunderstorms! This match could be cursed.

Posted by: Glenn | July 21, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

for season ticket holders its $15

Posted by: Diggs | July 21, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Burch cant cross a ball to save his life. his last 40 plus crosses have been off the mark. let alone his free kicks save that one us open game.

Posted by: castroviejo | July 21, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Put Burch on the left and Martinez in the middle with McTavish. Burch can help on the offense on the left and not be such a liability on defense on the flank - particularly since Fred is good at coming back and helping out. Martinez was good in the middle at the beginning of the year. He reads the game well and has good recovery speed if someone gets through. Eventually we might want try Vide as a middle defender. He is a scrappy player and also marks well. Too early in his tenure to try tomorrow though. I like the Doe and Emilio pairing with Jaime behind them. Not sure what to do about the right flank. With Ben down and Santino hurting, we are down to third string and third string in MLS is a a very thin thread.

Posted by: noname | July 21, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

i don't know if this was addressed somewhere else or not but at the game that was rained out, wasn't one of the Dynamo players out with a red card? Is he going to be out tomorrow too?

Posted by: col heights1 | July 21, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I saw this picture:

And thought maybe we'd signed a new keeper. Ah, well.

Posted by: herbivorous | July 21, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know why Jacqua came back to MLS? I thought he was tearing up the Austrian league. Was I misinformed?

Posted by: Lance | July 21, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

All we need is a readable ticket to get back into RFK tomorrow night right?
Will the ticket stub to get into the Champions Club be honored as well?
Thanks

Posted by: Dadryan | July 22, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 21, 2008 6:08 PM
===============

Those of us watching at home will be groaning too.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 22, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse