DCU-Rhinos, the Aftermath

So with just a few minutes left in United's 2-0 victory over the Rhinos in the U.S. Open Cup round of 16 -- a game you can read about by clicking here -- United was awarded another free kick in a dangerous spot. Marc Burch had already finished two of them, from 30 yards in the 78th and about 20 yards in the 85th. Free kick hat trick, anyone? The plan was for Fred to run over the ball and allow the howitzer-footed Burch to blast the ball past Scott Vallow again. But as Fred was approaching the ball, he saw an opening in the wall and decided to take it himself. Not even close. He later apologized to Burch and Coach Tom Soehn.

Okay, any doubt who the man of the match was? I didn't think so. (although Vallow made some superb saves before getting beat by Burch on the first goal and have a deflection get past him on the second.)

I will skip the player ratings and provide a few quick thoughts:

-- Ryan Cordeiro was active and determined on the left flank.
-- Francis Doe didn't do much.
-- Quavas Kirk got up and down the right flank, but didn't show the technical ability to make an impact.
-- Pat Carroll was quite good at right back (and offered strong throw-in ability) and then did well in the middle in the second half.
-- Zach Wells got the shutout, but seemed indecisive on several balls.
-- Rod Dyachenko had some nice moments, but disappeared at times in the middle of the park.

So it's DCU and Chicago next Tuesday night back at the SoccerPlex. (Travel tip: If you are driving from western Fairfax County or Loudoun County, try the historic White's Ferry that crosses the Potomac just outside Leesburg, Va., and leaves you off near Poolesville, Md. Much less stressful than battling rush hour on the Beltway and I-270.)

I hear the Red Bulls lost to Crystal Palace. No surprise, really. CP finished fifth in the English Championship this season and......what? They lost to Crystal Palace Baltimore? By two goals? After holding a man advantage for 50-plus minutes? Well, that's not good.

MLS teams win five, lose three in this round. The quarterfinals next week:

*Chicago at D.C. in Boyds, Md.
*Crystal Palace (USL2) at New England in New Britain, Conn.
*Charleston (USL1) at Dallas
*Kansas City at Seattle (USL1)

By Steve Goff  |  July 1, 2008; 11:31 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: U.S. Open Cup
Next: Late-Morning Kickaround

Comments

Goff, I'm interested in player ratings. I was there and would be curious how the ratings for this game compare with those for MLS games. Thanks!

Posted by: soccergirl | July 1, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Mr. Goff. You truly are the Soccer Insider, giving us the behind-the-scenes story. That is amazing that the Red Bulls would lose by two goals while holding a man advantage for most of the match.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | July 1, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

It was good to see the new guy Thompson out there in the second half. I thought he played well and I was surprised by his speed even though I still question his size.

I thought Hot Rod was good for a while taking a few shots but then he disappeared and I thought he played back way to far.

Posted by: Matt | July 2, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Cross-posted from the last entry:

Thoughts from the Palace/RBNY match:

Ives is being a bit harsh on the Palace supporters. They are a new group and struggled to keep anything going tonight. The home fans made noise, so that's good, considering they weren't in their usual stadium. RBNY fans traveled pretty well (50 or so masochists).

Brookes had a goal tonight, but the player that should interest United more than any other on that team is Matthew Mbuta. Brookes appeared to be more of a target forward to me. He was constantly posted up against Goldthwaite and Parke, holding the ball up and laying it off for the speedy/tricky Mbuta. Brookes blew a clear chance in the first half and frequently made bizarre decisions on breakaways. The keeper (Rowland I think) did very well marshaling his defenders and snuffing out some long range shots in the second half.

If Palace were better finishers the game could have been 4 or 5 nil. They had a goal ruled out for offside, struck a post after beating Thornton, and missed two absolute sitters.

The first goal was off a corner, with a Palace defender outjumping the RBNY defense to direct a header just under Thornton's bar. I was walking back to my seats (son needed a potty break ... :) ) and saw the second goal from behind the opposite goal, but Thornton appeared to have no chance on a wicked volley across the face of his goal.

The two sendings off were against Ibrahim Kante for a "full blooded" challenge in the first half that I thought was clean but noisy, and Mike Magee earned a red for mouthing off to the ref.

All in all, an impressive performance from Palace, who played within themselves and stayed composed against horribly disorganized RBNY squad.

I thought it was telling that Juan Carlos Osorio sauntered through the gates just in front of me, a few minutes *AFTER* the kickoff.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | July 2, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

What about Pat Carroll kept him from being considered a mid-Super Draft prospect? I saw him on FSC during his junior year and though he really stood out. I didn't have him pegged as any sure-bet pro but was shocked he wasn't selected after 112 picks, especially having 2 brothers in the league.

Posted by: undrafted | July 2, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Your reports are highly welcomed. And even travel tips to moot! Well done sir.

Posted by: Izzy | July 2, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Goff, Any thoughts on Stratford tonight?

Posted by: kris | July 2, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

We did what we had to do to get the result. Well done.

It was really bad last year losing to Harrisburg so it is hilarious that Redpukes not only lost to a USL 2 team but had a man advantage for about 60 minutes and didn't even get a single shot on goal! Unbelievable.

Posted by: JMR | July 2, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the coverage and input on player's most have not seen much of.
Anybody got any footage of Burch's donkey kicks? Tell me someone is posting something on You tube...
I mentioned in another thread that a match up of CHI/DCU would be ridiculously scintillating in a nice tight venue. Will Chicago fans be rolling out for this one?
Sounders looked pretty good to me in the back rendering Emo and
company impotent.

Posted by: Dadryan | July 2, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

the Sounders-Chivas game was the first time I've seen Le Toux in action and I must say I'm impressed with the guy... when I heard he was MLS seattle's first signing I thought it was nice, but he'd end up being a bench player. After actually seeing him play, I feel like Seattle's offense will at least be better than San Jose's no matter who they pick up in the expansion draft.

Posted by: Skyler | July 2, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Schmid(sp?) was kind of a beast as well. 6'4" 200lbs! Beast.
I am pretty interested in who Seattle will promote to the MLS squad next year. Even more on who else they'll be able to lure up there with some Microsoft dollars.

Posted by: Dadryan | July 2, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

The CPUSA - RBNY game was a nightmare.The Red Bull management's failure to use the $800k in salary cap, and not to convince Claudio Reyna to retire, came back to haunt them. CPUSA played a very intense game, and clearly had scouted RBNY closely, but NY fielded a reserve team for what essentially is the worst non-expansion squad MLS has seen in years. Their squad was sub-sub-par. I don't see them making the playoffs.

But as bad as NY was, the guy who lied in the lead on MLSnet was worse:

"The throng of about 50 drum-beating, flag-waving New York Red Bulls supporters that collected in the corner of the small open grandstand across from the benches at the center stripe got quieter and quieter as the final whistle neared."

Chris Snear, who I assume is a stringer, flat out lied for what I assume he thought was a poetic opening. The only good thing NY brought to the game was a group of fifty or sixty fans. I was near midfield for this stinker, being on the wrong side of forty to stand and sing with all those twenty-somethings, but the ESC was, objectively speaking, significantly louder at the end than they were at the beginning.

Chris Snear's smear reminds me of the political tactic of attacking someone at their point of strength. The only thing that NY has going for them is a fanatical, dedicated hardcore of support, who I would put up against any supporters I've seen at games in England or Germany. The team was terrible, but to lie and claim that the three score of supporters who made the 450 mile round trip are the "sing when you're winning" kind of supporters is a disgrace.

Again: the NY supporters club (and tonight, I wish I had been with them) was LOUDER as the game went on, with zero encouragement from the team.

Chris Snear, if you read this, I don't know what your agenda is, but you should be ashamed of yourself for what amounts to an expedient libel. You owe everyone-- NY supporters, CPUSA supporters, neutrals, and your employer, a humble apology.

Otherwise, MLSnet, don't hire a fabricator as a stringer for your website.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

There is a video of one of mark burch's goals already.

Posted by: calito01 | July 2, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Of course, Burch has to get man-of-the-match for his brilliant grass-cutters. I think he might have even quick-kicked the goalie on the second one. Fred gets boos for taking that kick, but also for missing a wide open net earlier. While he had some good runs, and drew the foul setting up one of the frees, Fred is just off his game - his timing and touch seem to have deserted him during the last couple of weeks.

My favorite plyer of the match was Cordeiro. He had a few poor touches, but he was the most consistently menacing player for United. With a different offensive philosophy that always looks to go over a defense, Cordeiro would have gotten some breakaways to go with his strong runs on the flank. He also delivered some nice passes.

I was sorry to see Carroll go out with an injury, as he had started to impress me with great ball control. If Kirk could control passes like Carroll, he might have scored a goal or two. He also had that one great throw into the box. Glad you caught it, to Goff. Didn't get through, but it did get us a corner and it suggests interesting possibilities.

I might note that Zach Wells did get a shutout.....not an MLS game, but still...

I'll be interested to see what lineup Tommy uses next Tuesday, with Chivas Guadalajara coming on Saturday.

I was little disappointed by the crowd size -- I feel it was smaller than in past years. I'm sure a game against the Fire and Blanco will be standing room only.

The Red Bulls really stink. They can't field a real MLS side, so it shouldn't be too surprising to seem them go down to a USL side. Way to go Palace!

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 2, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Er, the supporters were consistently loud, but they did tail off near the end of the game when Palace got their second goal, however they recovered and stayed loud. I think Snear was harsh on those supporters, but you shouldn't get any paranoid delusions about MLSNet attacks on the supporters of RedBull.

Try the decaf.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | July 2, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse

,Rod D did have one scintillating play, where he kicked the ball off the head of a Rhino turned and blasted a shot on net from at lesat 35 yard. Every once in a while he flashes something that makes you sit up and say "Oh ho! That must be what they see in practices that they like so much." Of course, the play should have been whistled for a dangerous play.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 2, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse

"the supporters were consistently loud, but they did tail off near the end of the game when Palace got their second goal, however they recovered and stayed loud"

"Consistently loud" AND "tailed off"? Stay off the peyote.

They were quiet for about 45 second after the second goal. Then they came back louder than before.

I think my team is a disgrace. But the supporters of my team made me very proud. It's pathetic that MLSnet stringer Chris Snear's attempt to add to his clippings with an out-and-out lie will be preserved on MLSnet as the recorded facts.

That said, CPUSA played with great intensity, took advantage of the very narrow field, and totally deserved a win. RBNY's starters at this point are basically a reserve team. Their actual reserves, the guys on the field tonight, were the worst team I've ever seen representing MLS. If I were still a season ticket holder up in the swamp, I'd burn them and mail Jeff Agoos the ashes.

But I'll belabor this one point... as ashamed of NY as I felt tonight (and I wanted to go hide after the second 10 v 11 goal), the NY supporters made me proud. It was a shot to the gut to read an out-and-out lie like Chris Snear's lead, a fiction that will be preserved as the truth on MLS' website. Fire away at the horrible team, but bless those ESC boys.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

It was spotty after the goal, and who could blame them. You're tilting at windmills.

Nice backhanded compliments for Palace though. That's nice.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | July 2, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Goff, Any thoughts on Stratford tonight?

Posted by: kris | July 2, 2008 12:14 AM
-------------------------------------------

Stratford showed good skills, and delivered a beautiful pass over the defense to Kirk, which turned into squat because Kirk couldn't control it. Still, he oculd have been a bit mroe assertive.

I'm not Goff, but those are some of my thoughts.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 2, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Eric, you're all over the place.

It wasn't spotty: it was quiet for 45 seconds, and then the supporters sang constantly until after the final whistle, except for a pause when that header went just wide.

Chris Snear's MLSnet article is at best a total distortion, at worst a fabrication. Maybe it gives you a mild frisson of pleasure to take a swipe at the ESC on behalf of Baltimore AND United, but please be honest. I'm willing to be absolutely vicious about the fact that NY was tactically outsmarted and outplayed-- absolutely no backhanded complements intended. Osorio either didn't care (and his sh!teating grin at halftime may be evidence of that) or didn't prepare (and that wouldn't surprise me either, but CPUSA flattened NY. And the squad NY has put together is a flat-out fraud.

But that does not justify the lies about the only good thing NY has: a supporters club as devoted, fanatical, and loud as any group anywhere. It absolutely pained me to read Chris Snear taking naked liberty with the facts, and I ask you not to turn this into an easy and unverifiable swipe at the folks who drove over 400 miles on a freaking Tuesday to support their team. You were there, I was there, and we know what happened. Chris Snear's version was not the truth.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse

FC Dallas beat Miami, 2-1, even though matchtracker has the game ending in a tie after 90 minutes.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 2, 2008 1:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm not Goff, but those are some of my thoughts.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 2, 2008 1:17 AM

-------------------------------------------

Good enough for me! Thank you!

Posted by: kris | July 2, 2008 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Just saw the Vancouver vs Toronto highlights...

Anyone remember Jay Nolly? Yeah, I thought so.

Considering our lack of depth at keeper, it was a sad sight.

Nolly deserved Man-of-the-Match. He tallied nine saves, half of which were highlight reel saves. He looked to have singlehandedly locked the win for Vancouver, ensuring Toronto's first home loss this year.

DC sold him because he couldn't play right? Hmmm, perhaps not a cunning move, considering the way Carvallo has bombed.

If you have FSC, watch the Fox Soccer Report, they will be showing it (along with at least two of DCU's goals vs LA as goals of the week).

Posted by: Erick | July 2, 2008 1:40 AM | Report abuse

For those who decided that they didn't want to attend because it was a mere Open Cup match, or because it was too pricey at $25, or because it's too far and the single entrance/exit thing has been problematic in years past, let me say this:

The game was exciting, played with more energy and pace than most MLS games. The price is less than a game at RFK, and the views of the game cannot be beat. The concessions were also superior to RFK, with the exception of the absence of beer (Brava had a nice chant of "Where's the beer man?"). I had a delightful roasted chicken quarter from a local eatery that set up shop there. And I drove straight in and found a spot, with no waiting in a line. Exiting was also a dream, with smoothly merging traffic -- a dream, especially compared with the hellish back-ups exiting RFK on Sunday.

Any time DCU wants to play up at the Soccerplex, they can count on me to be in the stands. Although it comes but once a year, most years (twice this year!!!), it's always one of the best nights of the summer.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 2, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Originally posted by Steven Goff:

"Free kick hat trick, anyone?"

================================

I can remember an MLS game against New England back in 2000 where we lost 3-1, on 3 free kick goals.

Posted by: spectre | July 2, 2008 2:42 AM | Report abuse

MJ, props to you and your mates for travelling and supporting your team. But hey, you sent out the reserves, and for whatever reason they didn't care and lost. NYRB is not the only team that has been guilty of that in the USOC.

Posted by: Ron | July 2, 2008 6:23 AM | Report abuse

so what is going on at RFK on Tuesday nights? Did our lazy slum lord actually find another sucker willing to pay a fortune to use the field? Is this for the Ethiopian games and can anyone attend?

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 2, 2008 7:20 AM | Report abuse

There is a video of one of mark burch's goals already.

Posted by: calito01 | July 2, 2008 12:48 AM
------------------------------------------
Any chance you can post a link? I am just dying to see those goals and have not had much luck finding them.

Posted by: Arsenal Fan | July 2, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

sorry I missed the game in germantown, but with goff's travel tips, I will make the trip next tues. thanks goff - I wouldn't have thought of using the ferry to cross the river.

Posted by: downtown | July 2, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

I found one of Burch's free kicks

Posted by: soyinocente | July 2, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Fisch Fry: Stop telling everyone what a great experience it is seeing (and hearing) the team up so close at the 'Plex, as we in Montgomery County like to call it. They might start coming!

I had a different impression of Kirk than Mr. Goff. I thought he was impressive, causing a lot of problems for the Rhino's left back. Sure, he could have made more plays and his crosses weren't the best, but he had some nice passes and won some corners. He even flashed some of that technical skill that Mr. Goff said was lacking right in front of us towards the end of the 2nd half, getting out of a tight space with 2 people on him.

I was also impressed with Thompson. As soon as it was announced that Martinez was being subbed at halftime with the score 0-0, I was worried. The Rhinos had a tall player, Sales, who besides crying all night to the refs (and finally earning a yellow card for doing so towards the end of the game), also created problems for the defense at times. I was worried Thompson's size might be a problem, but he handled everything that came his way, and made some good distribution passes from the back.

Finally, the game must be a confidence boost for one Mr. Zack Wells. He looked confident back there, barking out instructions (which you can hear even from the top row at the 'Plex). My only concern with him is that he tends to want to get rid of the ball to quickly to start a counterattack and our guys aren't quite ready for his throws (not enough space to make these throws). But he had a good game.

Just my thoughts.

Posted by: Dsmac | July 2, 2008 7:46 AM | Report abuse

My player thoughts (which count for as much as you pay to read them):

Dyachenko: aside from the brilliant touch and shot referenced above, does not do enough. Late fouls, gives the ball away. Does not distribute well.
Doe: nice touch. active. held the ball well at times. is not in sync with his teammates yet on the next pass.
Fred: mostly a non-factor (disappointing for me as I am a big fan). As mentioned above, did miss an open net.
Kirk: got a head on every ball sent his way. Not much else.
Carroll: solid
Thompson: first touch was nervous. seemed to calm down after that. nothing spectacular, nothing horrid.
Burch: interesting to see him in central D. I think both free kicks were deflections. Has a backbone - after Burch was roughly fouled, a Rhino (2 inches taller) offered a hand up which Burch slapped away. The two started jawing a bit. Scoreboard?
McTavish: not as much of a factor as I would have expected.
Simms: surprises me. really good touch. sees spaces. understands his teammates. works hard.
Wells: scary. turned back to ball outside the 18 during a collision, did not step forward several times to get crosses. watched several balls miss the posts.
Fans: Barra Brava brought it all game long

Posted by: Old Colt | July 2, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

MJ, you shouldn't be surprised by this team of yours. I have to imagine your cheering on nyrb is like being married to Lindsay Lohan. I mean, sure she's rich, but every time she goes out, she disappoints you by flashing or falling over drunk. Tough life for you, man.

Posted by: moreno4prez | July 2, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Fisch Fry, Old Colt, and Dsmac for all of the analysis. A couple of your quotes might find their way into my blog later tonight.

Add me to the list of fans who didn't make it last night but will be there next Tuesday. Sounds like a great time.

Posted by: DCUMD | July 2, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Big Ups to the Crystal Palace franchise on our historic win last night!!!

Last year, our ownership and coaching staff promised us that we would field a USL2 side that was able to compete with USL1 and even MLS sides in US Open Cup play. They promised the season ticket holders that any USOC matches against MLS clubs that we hosted would be included in the season ticket package.

Last night, they DELIVERED. Our players really showed what they could do. They played fantastic and were clearly the better side.

Brooksy's goal was class, pure class. Marshy's goal was well won in the air.
Nelson made some good saves to keep our momentum going. They were crucial.

1 man down-2 goals up.

I agree with Eric, we could have really beaten the sub par reserve side that they sent by 4 goals...

Posted by: yankiboy | July 2, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Yankiboy, you're right. CP was well organized and very intelligent, and deserves full congratulations for playing RBNY off the field. Good luck in the cup!

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

moreno4prez, I could not agree more with your characterization of RBNY as a nasty, rich skank. The team is a humiliation to support. Their supporters, however, have all my respect, and were phenomenal last night, which is why the MLSnet write-up was such a disappointment.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

@ Mastodon Juan:

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 12:46 AM
-------------------------------------------
Juan, It seems like this is a matter of opinion that varies from person to person.

I, alternated between cheering from the stands and stalking by the fence and I remember shouting at ECS that they were getting quieter as the result unfolded.

Did they still reprezent-"yes"? No doubt.
Did they still sing, and cheer and geer-"yes".
Did it seem like they got quieter to me? "Heck, Yeah!"

The way that the guy wrote it is the way that I remembered it.

ECS--I can't stand a lot of them.
I forgot to mention that some of them also looked to pick some fights (one with me while I was waiting by the shared locker room exit). Their tired NY hooligan wannabe thing has been tired from the start. They are without a doubt my least favorite supporters group in this country. And I mean by a long shot.

But they are superdedicated. Hardcore. Straight up. They did bring the flava. They did serenade their players after the loss and Osorio, as well. They waited before making their long trip back up the turnpike and a couple of them didn't go with the intimidation routine and they very cool. In fact, I have to emphasize that most of them last night were ok.

But let me make it clear. Love them or "hate" them--they bring it. The positives, those were good for CPUSA supporters to experience, a great example.
The negatives were good examples of what I don't want to be.

Posted by: yankiboy | July 2, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I went to the Soccerplex for a U.S. Open match a couple of years ago. Agree with everyone that it is a wonderful venue and offers sights and sounds you just can't get at RFK. However, with the sky-high prices of gas and rush hour traffic on a weeknight, it is very difficult to cut out of work early and to head out to Gaithersburg from downtown DC, especially when you have to borrow a car. Too bad they can't play these games at College Park.

P.S. Why are we have a debate here over a MLSnet article on the degree of intensity brought by supporters of a non DCU club playing at a different match last night? Let em debate it at the Red Bulls blog on the New York Times ... oh wait, there isn't one.

Posted by: J | July 2, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"props to you and your mates for travelling and supporting your team"

For me, it was only a fifty minute drive, and most of that was the backup at US50 and the Beltway, and I was sitting at midfield (I'm a desk jockey and am well past my days of standing and singing). I was the very disappointed guy surrounded by happy Palace supporters (who were nice enough not to gloat, and I'm impressed that there are serious soccer fans in the area who went to see their third division team instead of their successful local MLS side). I don't deserve any props. The guys (and girls) who deserve props are the vanloads of NY fans who left work early to drive down to Annapolis on a Tuesday to sing for their team for the entire game (except for the very brief pause right after the second goal). RBNY is a horrible, indefensible organization. The ESC represents everything good about soccer supporters in this country. It was disgusting to see that article try to deliver a slap to only good thing RBNY has to offer.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm wearing the Crystal Palace kit I bought at Navy/Marine Corp last year in your honor, CP-Baltimore.

Posted by: Colm | July 2, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

"Let em debate it at the Red Bulls blog on the New York Times ... oh wait, there isn't one."

Soccer Insider isn't a DC blog, and the NY Times Goal blog covers the Red Bulls. But the Post is my local paper, the game was played locally, and I'm going to write what I want. So stick it.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Yankiboy, it's a shame that a few punks wanted to cause some trouble. Glad nothing happened. And if you're with the CPUSA supporters club, congratulations and good work-- it's hard to start something like that up from scratch, and you guys are on the right track.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

I prefer the "quick thoughts" on the players to the player rankings. It gives all of us a much better idea how the game went and how the individual players performed. I hope you will consider keeping that feature for future games.

Posted by: Todd | July 2, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

re: fisch fry

"Where is the beer man?" actually came from the small contingent of SE's....thanks to Barra for picking it up....

all and all, all four supporter groups (yes Dark Cyde was there) brought it loud and proud last night...

Posted by: Anonymous | July 2, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

@ Mastodon Juan.

FYI: I was still posting about my differenc of opinion about the ECS volume when you submitted your post.

Sincere thanks for the congrats and the well wishes. Playing and getting a result against a club like RBNY (reserves or not) was the highlight for us in our ultra brief history.

ECS gave some of our supporters some inspiration and helped raise the bar on how to support a side.

I hope that on a smaller scale, more CPUSA fans can try to get to that level of intensity in the stands.

Since the beginning of the league or my first trip to NY to support United, ECS has always been a crucial part of what makes the United-RBNY rivalry more intense because they go the full 90 and then some.
They can never be ignored. Not even on MLS Draft day. When the product on the field hasn't been very good ECS has always made games involving NY interesting.

Posted by: yankiboy | July 2, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Goff, amazing coverage of a USOC game that in years past would barely get a mention.

Overall the level of soccer coverage in the Post has been fantastic over the past month or so; in-depth player articles, Soccer Insider daily doses of information, and all things DCU.

Just want to say thanks and keep up the excellent work. It is appreciated!

Posted by: GoldenChild | July 2, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

MJ, why must you alternate between cogent arguments and thin-skinned nonsense? You'd find yourself much less a target around here if you weren't CONSTANTLY pinging the DC fans. It makes it awfully hard to sympathize with your sense of the ESC being dissed by that nefarious "stringer Chris Snear." Oh, and I would humbly suggest that what the Barra Brava and their brethren mounted in support of Ben Olsen on Sunday in fact represents "everything good about soccer supporters in this country." Case closed.

Posted by: JB | July 2, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

For me, Marc Burch was by far the player of the match, and not just because of the 2 goals. Through much of the game, he was among the most active player on the field. In the second half, filling in for Martinez at left back, he kept frustrating the Rhinos' attack, making some impressive tackles and reversing the flow of the game.

The Rhinos seemed more interested in playing defense than in attacking. Tenywa Bonseu, Rhinos CB, was obviously told to stick closely to Emilio, and he adhered very strictly to those instructions. At one point, towards the end of the first half, he was holding Emilio's wrist as they both went for a ball near the goal line. The AR, who was right there, waved off any foul, one of his few wrong calls.

Bonseu, for his part, earned a YC in the second half, apparently because the Ref was tired of his overly physical play. Of course, the Rhinos' overly physical defense led to the 2 goals.

Posted by: ho | July 2, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I witnessed the Kansas City Wizards vs. Carolina RailHawks last night. Disclaimer: I'm a Railhawks fan and wanted to see them do well after several weeks of slumping/under-achieving. Although Kansas created a few chances in the first half, the Hawks were clearly the better team. The Hawks dominated play and went ahead on some good midfield work and a through ball. The second half Kansas came out pressing hard, but went down 2-0 on an excellent ball by Railhawks Nunez, Antoniuk, and finished by Watson. With about 30 minutes remaining the Hawks laid back on defense with Kansas coming at them wave after wave. Kansas scored on a good cross and header. A few minutes later the Ref awarded a penalty to Kansas, which they buried. Former DC United's David Stokes apparently committed the foul, but for the life of me I can't figure out what the infraction was. The game went to overtime. Kansas scored on a good through ball about ten minutes in. The Hawks failed to pressure the play in midfield giving a Kansas player plenty of time to make a perfect pass. It was really about the only clear mistake the Hawks made all evening (except maybe subbing out their big target striker Antoniuk a bit too early in the second half).

Kansas started out the game with mostly second string players. It showed. While they were all competent and solid in their play, they looked very uninspired. Except for their striker, who came on in the second half and eventually scored two goals off of good service, no one stood out. The Hawks played well at both ends. Stokes was very solid in the defense. Jamil Walker, another DCU alum, was good but not particularly effective. The man of the match was Matt Watson. At midfield he played excellent offense and defense. He created numerous chances in the second half by maintaining possession and repeatedly beating Kansas' left back. At one point he beat two (maybe three players) on the left flank only to be brought down at the edge of the box (with the ball clearly in the box, should have been a penalty, the ref was very poor in the last part of the game). Maybe DCU should take a look at Watson.

Kansas was outplayed and got some help from the ref. The Hawks did plenty enough to win, but the soccer gods weren't quite with them.

Posted by: Perry | July 2, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

There's an old Palace song that they sing towards their rivals Brighton - "Eagles sh*t on Seagulls".

That translates nicely here to "Eagles sh*t on Red Bulls" :-)

Posted by: Kev | July 2, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

wait a second, did i click on ives by accident? where am i....?

uh, anyway, it's too bad that they can't play chicago game at rfk. soccerplex sounds like a nice time, but i'm not sure i can get out there unless they're planning to build a metro line to germantown sometime this week. hopefully wfed radio will be a little less glitchy because i don't think rochester country fm (yee haw!) is going to be covering next week's game....

Posted by: stairs | July 2, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@Mastodon Juan,

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | July 2, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Let's hope next time Gallardo would let Burch take the free kicks. Gallardo's have been straight to the keeper or over the cross bar so far. Even though Burch's go cross the bar some times his are more powerful than Gallardo's.
Me, same. Withouth Metro I am stucked.

Posted by: arlington4united | July 2, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Not much to add on the game. The first 20-25 minutes were choppy for DC as if the players weren't used to each other like a regular 11 are. They settled down and controlled the ball for the rest of the half. However, they reverted for a little of the second half with the 3 subs.

I agree that Kirk's technical ability was lacking. He was put through on a well-timed run and a beautiful ball (from Fred?), but couldn't control it for what should have been a goal.

Again I say do not put Dyachenko in the center when Fred is on the field. Fred is so much better on the ball.

Ben Olsen also had the roasted chicken. He was sitting far from Mrs. Ben while eating, but sat next to her when he was done. I wonder if she has the pregnancy-induced meat aversion that's fairly common.

Gorgeous weather for the match.

Soccerplex needs to open more bathrooms.

This is Soccer Insider, not DC United Insider. Besides (I), Crystal Palace USA is also a local team that's been covered by the Post. Besides (II), Steve mentioned the CP-RB match in the blog entry. So comments on that are on topic.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 2, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

re:

those with out cars to plex

I would attempt to get to the plex, its a great place to see a game, go to big soccer to hook with a ride or find a ride share...

Posted by: Anonymous | July 2, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night. It was painful to watch. Burch was the only one that played at his level in my opinion. Emilio also had a few good moves... Everyone else looked amateurish and not worth $25 tickets. Kirk is horrible. No control or ideas, same with Doe. Dyachenko is HORRIBLE. Wells collided with a defender in what easily could have been 1-0 Rhinos early in the second half.

People talk about pace? we played ping-pong soccer for most of the game.

It is clear DCUnited did not take the game seriously and that we have no depth.

Posted by: juanma | July 2, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

For anyone interested, here is a link to a review of the game by a Rochester newspaper:

It includes some quotes from the Rhinos' coach.

Posted by: Dsmac | July 2, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Sorry. Fisch Fry noted that the nice pass to Kirk was from Stratford. I missed that.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 2, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"Hasn't anyone ever told you, the recorded facts of history are written by the winners?"

Ha! Yes, I've heard that before. Well played.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"Where's the beer man?"

BB or SE, I love it!

But I'm thinking that more than one Montgomery County family is grateful not to wake up this morning to find a car parked in their front yard.

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 2, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

MOVE THE GAME TO RFK!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 2, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

MB --

I enjoyed reading Mastrodon Juan's comments about the RBNY-Crystal Palace Baltimore match. There may be some hyperbole involved with his ESC props, but I've got to think it's much harder to marshall up support for a team that's never been successful like RBNY than it is for a successful club like DCU.

Just think about the history of RBNY, it if you weren't a diehard supporter of DCU, it's enough to want to drive you to drink. They've helped develop two of the best young US talents (Altidore and Bradley) yet have not gotten a great deal of matches out of either, since both were gone at 18.

They hired the clown Alexi Lalas, leading to Bradley's departure. I could go on and on about their playing in The Swamp and the decorated foreign stars and coaches they've brought aboard, not to mention Captain America. The only consistency is lack of success.

I guess because I have children, I've developed empathy. There's a part of me that empathizes with ESC and RBNY supporters like Mastrodon Juan. Maybe one day DCU-RBNY will be more of an even rivalry like the Cowboys-Redskins, and then I can really get my hate on.

Posted by: Bill in Md | July 2, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I hate my team even more because now they have made United fans feel pity for me and my fellow supporters.

Bill, in your list of young talents developed by the team, you should include Tim Howard, who signed his first contract with us at 18.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

MJ: Switch the team since you are here, you will much enjoy it...LOL!

Posted by: td | July 2, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

MJ is already a United fan...
It's just taking a little time for him to build up the courage to let us all know.

Posted by: Dadryan | July 2, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"I had a different impression of Kirk than Mr. Goff. I thought he was impressive, causing a lot of problems for the Rhino's left back." --Dsmac
===========================================
===========================================

The Rhinos left back, Nate Craft, has problems with everybody.

Posted by: Drew-ROC | July 2, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"MJ: Switch the team since you are here, you will much enjoy it...LOL!"

Never. It's bad enough that I found myself enjoying the Caps last season.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

EMILIO UP FOR ESPY

STUFF THE BALLOT BOX!

Posted by: Ballot Box | July 2, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Was the game last night sold out? My pops got lost and didn't make it there till halftime, only to be turned away.

Posted by: apqjr | July 2, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

to clarify, I meant the DCU game at the soccerplex.

Posted by: apqjr | July 2, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Mastodon, I feel your pain and high props for being a RedBulls fan and even more love for coming on here (into the Lion's Den) and continuously professing your love-hate relationship with the team. Yesterday's loss stings, I know, and it will sting for a long time to come (I still burn inside with the Harrisburg situation of last year and the good people of Harrisburg are always on cue to spark the flames and remind me of it).

I hate RBNY (almost as much as I do the Gals). Nothing personal, its a rivalry DNA type thing. That said, man those are some dedicated fans up there. Consider how bad that team has been. Year after year. Yet the real fans still show love, still come out and still support their team. That's hardcore right there.

I am not so sure where I stand on this expansion thing, but the RBNY mediocrity situation is making a second team in NY more and more a necessity (at least from a league POV). That is too large and too juicy a market to not have a big, contending club. I am not from NY so I am not sure how the politics will play out - whether a NY proper team will kill off RBNY or if the resulting rivalry will spark some much needed life into that market. My take on it is that MLS needs to get the best out of that market, and NY needs a winner. What's your take on that, MJ?

Posted by: Kosh | July 2, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Gallardo should spend a day or two taking lessons from Burch on how to take free kicks, AND pay Burch handsomely for the lessons. Gallardo is HORRIBLE at them and he should never get near the ball on free kicks. Give them to Moreno or Burch.

Posted by: Mike | July 2, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

"MJ: Switch the team since you are here, you will much enjoy it...LOL!"
Never. It's bad enough that I found myself enjoying the Caps last season.
Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 10:59 AM
==========
Oh come on MJ. If you enjoyed Caps, you will enjoy United more. Besides you are very knowledgeable and we don't mind having you as an United fan. Forget the Caps.

Posted by: td | July 2, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

b

Posted by: Anonymous | July 2, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 2, 2008 12:48 AM

-------------------------------------------
At $25.00 a ticket that kept a lot of people away and I doubt they sell out next week. Keep dreaming. Cut the price to $15 and it will sell out.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 2, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Not that I want to wait in line any longer for the ferry if more of you use it, but living south of Leesburg, I love games at the 'Plex because I can take the ferry and then some fun winding roads into the back entrance :) Much more fun (and shorter) than the Toll Rd/I66/I395 trip to RFK.
But to be more concise, White's Ferry is the name of the landing on the Md. side of the river where you can buy almost anything (including the opportunity to sit at one of their picnic tables, yep they charge for that) - the ferry itself is the General Jubal A. Early :-)
Last night on the way home about 10:15, there were 5 cars on the ferry, all United fans. A few years ago I rode back across with Tommy Rongen, a quick but very interesting soccer conversation. That dude even smokes with intensity, he musta went through 3 waiting on the ferry to cross.

I thought Kirk was awful. Besides the lack of technical ideas, he was severely lacking in fitness. After minute 70 he was done. Cordeiro had to cover alot of space behind him.
Cordeiro I thought had a great game - if someone in midfield was a better passer, he could have been very dangerous. He made dozens of great runs, but was only passed the ball twice.

Doe was not very good either, IMO.

Posted by: Lonnie | July 2, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or did anyone else find Goff's bit on the CPB-NYRB result incredibly funny? The whole thing is so Steve Goff and then wham... he hits you with the fact that it was CP Baltimore. I'm still laughing. Well played Steve-O.

Yay for Burch. No doubts in my mind that when he's in the game for us we have a legitimate Right and Left footed free kick threat and he might develop into our best 25-35 yard option.

Finally, when did this become the NYRB board. I think MJ should just give up and move down here and support a team with fans that care. I think he'd be warmly welcomed. :)

Posted by: AlexandriaDan | July 2, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Pat Carroll and the new guy Thompson were very good. In Pat, it is nice to see a fullback who can use both feet. Doe & Kirk aren't very good. It was a nice game. Any injuries besides Tino?

Posted by: bubbles | July 2, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

We need to get Nolly back. Look!

Click on Vancouver at Toronto and count all the insane saves he made in a 2-0 SHUTOUT of Toronto.

If we could get Nolly back you can bench Wells.

Posted by: JAY NOLLY NOW! | July 2, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bubbles | July 2, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"What's your take on that, MJ?"

Hmmm. Complicated question.

I lived in both NJ and in NYC. I'm a big defender of NJ against the stereotype that it is a set of horrible, decaying formerly industrial cities, connected by corridors of chemical plants, with awful suburbs in between. Away from the NJ Turnpike and Newark/Camden/Paterson/Trenton etc., it's a beautiful state, with a great mass transit system, great schools, and a nice sense of community.

It's also, culturally speaking, not like NYC (except maybe Staten Island). When they were known as the Metrostars, the team did market research, and found that something like 90% of its fans came from Jersey. And the aggregate fanbase is actually very large, if you add regular matchgoers who have been driven off by poor play and the wretched stadium experience.

Northern NJ, the "home turf" for the team, has nearly 5 million people, with lots of diversity, from Scots in Kearny to Argentines in Hillside to Koreans in Fort Lee. There is excellent soccer played in NJ, and a lot of very knowledgeable soccer fans.

NYC, for good or bad, is incomparable to anywhere else. The city has never gotten behind Metro/Red Bulls, and has never had a historical tie to the team in the swamp. The Cosmos started as an NYC team (and it was easier to get to Giants Stadium thirty years ago, believe it or not), the Giants and Jets were NYC teams. The Nets and Devils are very much NJ teams, and do not bother trying to attract support from NYC (the whole "Brooklyn Nets" nonsense aside). MLS is a niche sport, like hockey, and RBNY is going to have a difficult time having a sustained following in NYC.

NYC would have zero difficulty supporting a soccer team, if the soccer team were accessible on the subway and were run and marketed coherently and professionally. The love of the game is there, and I see pickup games in every single park, all times of day, and often even in the streets. Toronto should be the model: NYC and Toronto are more alike than either city is to any other city.

It's my belief that RBNY's most intelligent approach would be to stop sending mixed signals about who the target market is, and embrace NJ. Sadly, I don't see Red Bull lowering their insane expectations of their expensive marketing gimmick by switching to a community-based model. What a shame.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 2, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

sorry should have put CPUSA.

Posted by: AlexandriaDan | July 2, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Hey everyone type soccer into search, there is article about the most loved DC athletes. Jaime and Benny made the list, and there is some soccer bashing going on. Thought everyone might want to show some support. The article is pretty good also.

Posted by: Joe | July 2, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

All this Jay Nolly talk needs to stop right now. I do not want Jay "The Sieve" Nolly within 100 miles of RFK, ever.
Ever.

Remember once a few years back, in New Jersey, a goalkeeper stood on his head and stopped like 8 seriously dangerous shots United took, it was an amazing display. His name ..... Zach Wells. One game with a superior opponent for motivation, does not a goalkeeper career make.

Posted by: Lonnie | July 2, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, Lonnie. Nolly is not an MLS keeper.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 2, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I think the point from above was not that Nolly was an MLS Best XI 'keeper, but rather than he could be best served the team by staying on as a backup...the Carvallo experiment has been a failure...you would think the coaching staff could have figured out ahead of time if he could master half a dozen english commands...

Not a great keeper, surely, but likely better than two of the three we have on hand at the moment.

Posted by: Erick | July 2, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Since 1998 when DCU didn't enter the tournament because of conflicts with the CONCACAF Champions Cup, the Soccer Gods have not looked too favorably upon the lads from DC when it comes to the US Open Cup. And, this year, the gods have chosen that DC face the Chicago Fire, perennial Open Cup champions, in the semis while the other three remaining MLS teams get to face lower tier teams. Woe be to those who take lightly the competition that is the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup!!!

Posted by: dcindc | July 2, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

SoccerPlex is a loooooong way from Southern MD. And it didn't help that my Garmin had never heard of the place. Oh well.
Doe - I thought he was lost most of the night...maybe just unfamiliar with his teammates?
Kirk - fairly fast, tall(as stated he won most balls in the air near him) but poor skills, touch like a crooked brick wall, and no tactical sense. LAG really were desperate for warm bodies last year with this guy starting.
Cordeiro - played hard, was fast, had good thoughts, sometimes held the ball too long, was frequently the only guy that seemed to care much.
Fred - average at best, for him and his skillset.
McTavish - played ok, cleaned up well, but did not stand out.
Burch - lots of energy, played well at an unusual position CB. 1st free kick was an absolute laser 2 inches off the ground.
Simms - liked his calming effect on the guys.
Thompson - looked comfortable and capable
Emilio - not bad, but expected more against a lower level opponent
Carroll - liked him, sorry to see him go out but....
Mediate - after replacing Carroll as the 4th sub, only remember him flying down the left wing chasing a ball - man, is he fast

Overall, a decent game by a mostly reserve side. Will take more to win next week I think.

Posted by: marksman | July 2, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Looks like I'm late to the party...oh well.

Thoughts on the DCU-Rochester game:

An accident on 270 caused me to be late and miss the first 20 minutes, but I gathered from others that I didn't miss much.

Wells did a good enough job. The collision one poster mentioned as a dangerous chance was anything but. In fact, if Wells hadn't come out so strong, he wouldn't have gotten the ball clear. I'd rather see Wells knock our player down and still keep the ball out than hesitate as he was doing earlier this season.

I was not unhappy with Burch as a center back (something I didn't think he was capable of, despite his size). There's clearly some work to do, but he can learn the position. McTavish had a bit of a shaky outing alongside him, mostly down to bad distribution. His tackling was impressive, though; hard but clean every time. Pat Carroll looked solid. Martinez wasn't particularly involved for the 25 minutes I saw, but considering he had just gone 90 minutes running Beckham into the ground, I wasn't surprised. Thompson came in at halftime and played well enough. He kept things very simple, but that's a good thing for a young defender. It must be said, though, that he looks very small. Think smaller than Fred.

In midfield, Kirk caused a lot of problems with his size, speed, and physicality, but had a lot of trouble with his touch. He did show flashes of ability, but they were too few and too far apart. Stratford did a modest job for the time I saw him, but Simms is clearly a huge step up in all categories. Dyachenko still shows the occasional flash of ability, but has seemingly no idea about what pace to play at. If we needed to be patient, he rushed a pass and killed an attack. If we needed to move quickly, he took too long. Cordeiro was, for me, the best attacking player on the field for us. I'm not saying he was great, but he did well enough and, out of our rookie class, he looks the best at this point. Up front, Doe really struggled to make any passes to his teammates. He does have the strength to hold the ball up, but his distribution after that needs a ton of work. Emilio was left on an island in the first half and was replaced by Fred, who had a couple good moments (30 yard run with ball lead to Burch's 1st goal, for example) and a couple bad ones (any time he shot). His miss just after halftime is the leader for worst miss by a DC player this season. Still, he was the only player with the awareness to make the run for Cordeiro, so you have to give him credit for seeing the opportunity.

All in all, DC labored a bit to win the game, but Rochester offered very very little going forward. Long balls by their outside backs were easy pickings for our back four, and their midfield was, at best, mediocre. They do work hard and put up a fight, but there was no real skill present. If DC didn't score, this game was headed to penalties. One got the feeling that Rochester didn't start looking for a goal until Burch put away the first goal.

And, since food at matches has been such a big point of contention lately, I'll note that I had a quality pulled pork sandwich from the Uncle Charlie's stand, with a can of Coke, for $7. This was an improvement over previous Soccerplex events, where they just sent someone to Sam's Club to buy a bunch of packaged hot dogs, burgers, and sausages and had volunteers grilling. I also saw some kind of shaved ice stand, as well as coffee from a local coffee joint.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 2, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse