Friday Morning Kickaround

Good morning. I'll be headed out to practice later this morning and will post anything interesting I hear from out there. Colleague Zach Berman will be handling the SuperLiga preview for tomorrow's paper and Goff will soon be back from vacation. But until then, and as usual, here are some links I enjoyed while surfing the web this morning:

- Edson Buddle scored his 11th goal of the season in the Galaxy's 1-1 tie with Chivas USA in the second SuperClasico game of the season. Here's a game story with highlight video.

- Kansas City held on for a 2-1 victory over New York last night.

- Day 1,000,000 in the Cristiano Ronaldo saga. Ronaldo agrees with Blatter, hints at move. Sigh. Even David Beckham weighs in.

- Peter Crouch completes his move to Portsmouth for 11 million pounds while Nasri heads to Arsenal and Cavalieri to Liverpool.

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 11, 2008; 9:11 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Short Update on U-17s
Next: Notes from Practice

Comments

Beckham was close to joining AC Milan...

Posted by: bob | July 11, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

(reposting...belongs here now)

I caught the first 30 of the fast-paced LA game last night. Jazic had a nasty injury. Beckham was playing very deep and was only playing direct balls (yawn) until he pushed up front, made a great run, and almost had a goal had Guzan not brilliantly come off his line.

Chivas was quick, Sasha (and Mendoza) being the catalyst. Razov's goal was a beauty -- fantastic placement beating Cronin near-post, but upper corner.

It wasn't a clean, beautiful game, but it was interesting. Rising star Sean Franklin was out (2-3 weeks, sprained MCL)...Abel Xavier not even on the roster, despite a thin defense. Looks like Ruiz even played.

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

To add to RK . .

I watched the final 20 minutes of the Goats vs the Gals . . . end to end soccer, but really not much quality . . . Beckham had some horrid crosses, didn't even bother defending . . Razov earns goal of the month with a fantastic finish

Brad Guzan was asked about a pending move to Aston Villa this summer

Posted by: delantero | July 11, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Guzan looked so much better tonight (remember the Alan Gordon-fest last time out) but I still can't believe Buddle beat him low like that. His coming off the line to stop the two-on-none was very un-Wells-like, who would've been caught in mo man's land.

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Ronald may lose some fans even if he ends up staying at ManU because of all these desire to move thing...
Let's see if Nasri can shine at Arsenal.
I bet Croch is really happy to land at the pompy land and get out Raffa's junk yard.
Paul, looking forward to any reports for our first choce for tomorrow's must win game.

Posted by: arlington4united | July 11, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I don't think I like this move for Nasri -- he didn't have a good year (injuries) and he won't be playing enough for Arsenal, I suspect.

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Is this season's Red Bull team, the worst they've ever put together? I guess when you've built your team around your DL list, you're going to be in trouble.

What about Kansas City? They've got Wolff now, right? What happened to Lopez? Wasn't HE suppose to replace Eddie Johnson?

Does anyone besides Buddle, Donovan, or Beckham scored for the Galaxy?

You've got to assume that Donovan and Beckham will get called up to their national team soon. The way Buddle is play, he may very well get called up too. What does LA do then?

Posted by: TCompton | July 11, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I've seen Klein and Gordon score for the Galaxy.
Beckham and Donovan both had some reaaally lazy moments.
It's a shame for Chivas if they lose Guzan mid season.
Is Esky ever going to come back?
with a healthy Galindo and Eskandarian, I'd be wary of their firepower.
Sachas mustache is off the chain...
He is the Anti-Beckham, no?

Posted by: dadryan | July 11, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

BSPN2 aired a clip of Beckham in the pregane show. Among other things, he talked about the Galaxy's "schedule", which he pronounced in the American manner. I wonder which pronunication he should use in Toronto, where a war between British and American English has been going on since time immemorial?

Posted by: tri-village | July 11, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes soccer contracts confuse me... Cristiano Ronaldo signed a contract to play for Manchester United which lasts a number of years, right? How is Man U "treating him like a slave" by holding him to a deal that he signed. Do written contracts mean something different in Europe or are both parties not expected to hold their part of agreements?

Posted by: Phil | July 11, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Considering that the 6+5 rule is being widely praised by some in European circles, you'll forgive them for not being the bastions of capitalism.

Then again, you can easily counter that with a quick look at American sports leagues.

/hoping not to start overargued debate over promotion-relegation or salary caps.

Posted by: Kyle | July 11, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Oh Mastodon, Oh Mastodon, where in the world are you?

"""Is this season's Red Bull team, the worst they've ever put together?""

Posted by: troll bait!!! | July 11, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Also, Razov's goal last night - pure class.

Posted by: Kyle | July 11, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

But I thought Osorio was the answer to Energie NY's prayers?

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Re:Blatter and Ronaldo

How can anyone making that kind of money, with the kind of freedom that kind of money brings, see their way clear to make such and astoundingly insensitive statement? It's completely beyond my comprehension really.

This tells me that the sport under Blatter, FIFA, and UEFA has just gotten completely out of hand so far as player salaries and contracts are concerned.

Total tools...the both of them. I've lost all respect for Ronaldo. Never really had any for Blatter.

Posted by: SeaOtter | July 11, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Off Topic: For fans of bicycle crashes, someone hit a tree in Le Tour today...
Too early to tell if who he was as I missed the initial crash, VS. will without a doubt be giving the blood thirsty fans a bunch of replays.

Posted by: Dadryan | July 11, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Looks like we won't have Olsen, Tino, Fred, or Stratford available, anyone else missing?
Let's give this one a shot:

-----------------Wells------------------
Namoff----McTavish---Peralta----Martinez
-----------------Simms------------------
Mediate----------------------------Burch
---------------Gallardo-----------------
------------Moreno----------------------
------------------Emilio----------------

A bit thin on the wings, but so is this team when Olsen, Fred, and Tino are out.

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 11, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Two years ago, you could actually "watch" and track Le Tour real-time on Google Earth. Wish someone would do that again.

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Lots of crashes today...

Lilian Jegou, the first rider to launch an attack in the 2008 Tour, is now out of the Tour. He broke his wrist in a crash around the 75km mark. He is on his way to the hospital. His wife is due to give birth any day now and it could be that both Mr and Mrs Jegou will find themselves in hospital at the same time...

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I noticed that Google maps is providing street views of the course though - did they have that feature before? That's pretty solid...

Posted by: DE | July 11, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

That's new for the race (gearthblog.com)

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Greg Daurio's MLSnet writeup of last night's SuperClasico derby noted that Xavier was injured during training:

"The center back pairing of Troy Roberts and Greg Vanney that started against Chivas was a result of training ground injuries to Abel Xavier and Sean Franklin during the week."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 11, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

To add to RK and delantero -- I actually watched the entire game last night, and enjoyed it far more than I anticipated.

It wasn't high quality football, but it was tremendously fun and exciting to watch. Until the skill level in MLS starts to approach foreign leagues, even like the Mexican League, more games like last night's end-to-end track meet would do a lot to energize the fan base.

It sounds as if this was Guzan's last league game for Chivas USA. It hurts to have the MLS keep losing its best players, but I hope he can really develop overseas. The national side needs a strong back-up for Howard, and one who is five years younger doesn't hurt either. Howard should hold down the no. 1 slot for years to come, but having Guzan ready as an heir apparent offers the prospect of continued talent there.

Speaking of the nats, Buddle looked awfully confident on that goal. Beckham did, too -- as he raised his arms for a goal before Buddle even shot. Bradley really needs to take a long look at him. I know the National team coach historically frowns on MLS high scorers such as Razov and Twellman, but Buddle seems like a more complete package.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 11, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Alec, I know Fred took a ding on Tuesday, but I haven't read anything that rules him out...Have you?

Also, I wouldn't c@nt -- I mean count -- who do I think I am: John McCain? -- on Mediate. Concussions are a nasty business -- look at Church's continuing troubles in NY. If Fred can't go, I'd expect Cordeiro on the right flank.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I'd forgotten about Mediate's concussion.
Cordeiro is a left mid, I'd expect Thompson to get the starting nod at RM if Mediate can't go.

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 11, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

A bit OT, but I hope many of you saw this in Thursday's paper:

My anthropologist friend says some of this is a bit shaky, but it still makes interesting reading.

Posted by: tri-village | July 11, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Is this season's Red Bull team, the worst they've ever put together?

Posted by: TCompton | July 11, 2008 9:59 AM
______________________________
Not even close: the disaster that was the 1999 MetroStars plummed depths of suckitude far, far beyond the current squad, who look proficient in comparison. Seven wins and 25 losses, with only 32 goals and a whopping 64 goals against. The team's leading goalscorer, Eduardo "El Tanque" Hurtado, could manage only seven goals for the season. "Pathetic" only begins to tell the story.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | July 11, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

schmuckatelli is right. As bad as things our for our Jersey rivals, the Swamp has played host to much, much worse.

On LA-Chivas: The first 5 minutes of that game nearly made me stop the Tivo and go to bed. Probably the most sloppy start to an MLS game in the last couple years, at least off the top of my head. It got better, though as others observed, it wasn't exactly Euro 2008. I think Preki made a huge error in pushing Kljestan wide after halftime, as he had been the best player on the field. Pushing him wide took him out of the game and let LA back in. Maybe that was why the ref sent him off...massive tactical failure.

A draw seems about right, since neither team could muster long periods of actual soccer. Ruiz should have given LA the undeserved 3 points, but Guzan came up with the big save in what was probably his last action as an MLS player. One wonders if Ruiz is still stuck in LA because no one wants an expensive headcase that can't even finish 1v1s.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 11, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"""Off Topic: For fans of bicycle crashes, someone hit a tree in Le Tour today...""

As a survivor of bicycle crashes . . . into barbed wire, roots, other cyclists, I'm in no way a fan . . . road rash sticking to the sheets is a painful way to wake up.

Having said that, nothing beats head down, hammeriing, 7-11 pro Davis Phinney crashing into a team car's rear window.

Posted by: delantero | July 11, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

@ delantero; I too, have survived some pretty bad crashes, in fact one involved a stupid, stupid tree and honestly to this day I know I'm lucky I didn't get killed in that crash...
It's just easy to get a little swept up in VS. "red,white,blackand blue summer" isn't it?
I also was banking on tricking a couple less cycling friendly folks into tuning in... Working the same angle that Vs. is trying to these days I guess.
I'll have to check You Tube for the Phinney crash, I remember seeing photos of him broken glass, bloody mess and all....
Giant road rash sucks even if you aren't sticking to the sheets,
You gotta get that second skin stuff and keep em' moist.
You have me beat on the barbed wire... How the hell did you do that? Ouch!!!
Rubber Side Brother!

Posted by: Dadryan | July 11, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

And Speaking of Phinney's I hope everyone is going to tune in to see the Kid on the Velodrome in China!
Move over Lance Armstrong!

Posted by: Dadryan | July 11, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Another goal for Buddle. I am with you TCompton time for Buddle to get a call up to USMNT, what about Razov sure he's old but he's produced 6 goals in 25 caps and has 4 goals this season for Chivas. Methinks he should get a shot before EJ"gam" not on....

Posted by: glove | July 11, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

$22M for Crouch? Only in England for a guy who doesn't start for his club or country. On past history, he might be a 10 goal a year scorer, but he wasn't last season.

Thx,