He's Super

Two more goals for Kenny Cooper, one step closer to a fat European contract. Rosenborg (Norway) has been the front-runner for some time, but now it appears Cardiff City (Wales) is making a play for the Dallas forward. The headline on the Wales Online story: "Super Cooper in Bluebirds' Sights." Clever. However, here at the most cultured soccer blog around, we prefer the late, great Peter Boyle belting out a similar phrase during a classic scene from "Young Frankenstein":

Back later with The Good, The Bad, the Coyote Ugly.....

By Steve Goff  |  July 28, 2008; 6:30 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday Kickaround
Next: The Good, The Bad, The Coyote Ugly

Comments

Goff's blog, the only good thing about Monday mornings.

Posted by: JSF | July 28, 2008 6:55 AM | Report abuse

How about some good news for DCU? I'm getting a little worried here!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 28, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious. I'd forgotten about tht bit of the movie.

Posted by: Kire | July 28, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

An early start:

The Good: The All Star Game. Fun game to watch, good showcase for the league and the sport. Kenny Cooper. The guy is good at soccer. Tell me again why he isn't seeing more with the national team?

The Bad: Dallas attendance. Can't even sell out a Beckham game.

The Ugly: Colorado attendance is so abysmal it is approaching Chivas-USA-type bad. I am berginning to think that maybe MLS needs to require teams have a minimum average turnstile-measured attendance of 15,000 in order to have their homke games televised. Soccer on TV with empty stadiums is bad for the sport.

LA defending: Atrocious. Wretched. Not even half-hearted. Sure, they got rid of Xavier, but who is left?

Posted by: Ron | July 28, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron | July 28, 2008 7:23 AM
=======
First point: I disagree. Although I am not in favor of all star thing, supposedly they are supposed to be the better players from MLS and meets with mid level EPL team in pre-season form and narroly won by a goal. If they lose it would be an embarresing to the league that even the best players of MLS can't beat the pre-season form of overseas team. Think about best players from euro leages and play against some other team? I see this as an insult to the leage.
Second point: Because B. Bradley is a dumb ass and doesn't see who is good and who is not.
Attendance: I agree and dissapointing but I see games in empty staidums with less than halful in south american countries, most recently columbia yesterday and I see them in Italy too.

But I am really hoping some encouraging news from DC United and convincing win this Saturday against KC.

Posted by: td | July 28, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

"Tell me again why he isn't seeing more with the national team?" Uhhh ... how about ANY time with the national team.

Answer: Because we've got a second rate coach with a school boy crush on serial underachievers Eddie Johnson and Josh Wolff. Eddie Johnson so 'impressed' at Fulham that they're all but combing the local secondary schools to bring in new forwards - he won't see the field this year in the EPL. And Josh Wolff ... I mean how many legitimate strikers out there are named Josh. Free Kenny Cooper!

Posted by: Hmmm | July 28, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

How can a good soccer match feel awkward?

If Kenny goes or for that matte if any player is sold to a foreign league then that player can be replaced with a designated player. This would encourage teams to develope players for sale and allow teams to spend.

Posted by: lprevolution | July 28, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

re:

"How can a good soccer match feel awkward?
Sitting in a Dick with everyone's family and getting the feeling like you are neighbor's living room with plastic on the sofa."

Would you care to elaborate?

Posted by: Ron | July 28, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

re:

"First point: I disagree. Although I am not in favor of all star thing, supposedly they are supposed to be the better players from MLS and meets with mid level EPL team in pre-season form and narroly won by a goal. If they lose it would be an embarresing to the league that even the best players of MLS can't beat the pre-season form of overseas team. Think about best players from euro leages and play against some other team?"

Disagree all you want, but you really make no sense here. The fact is, MLS won, but you apparently think or at least speak as if they lost. And MLS All-Stars have won every time we have played a foreign team and have acquitted themselves well every time. Yes, the foreign teams were in preseason form. So what? This is an *exhibition* match. As such, the competitive aspect, though not unimportant, is secondary to its marketing aspect. The atmosphere was great. No doubt many potential MLS investors were in attendance. People, coaches, and players from overseas probably tuned in. That helps the stature of our league.

I have expressed some doubts about the MLS ASG, but in the final analysis, I like it. Whatever form it takes, East v West, Us vs. Them, it's fun. And, like it or not, it is not going away. The league believes it needs an All-Star game,just as it believes it needs some kind of playoff system. That ain't gonna change in the foreseeable future.

Posted by: Ron | July 28, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lprevolution

That's an interesting idea! I like it, but it needs a bit of refining. Because DCU shouldn't get another DP slot for selling Bryan Arguez. Ditto NE with Noonan, etc. But if you set a monetary goal... Like you get a designated player slot if you sell a player abroad for over $2M or $3M or something, that could work. For several reasons:

1. Gives a team an incentive to develop players' talents, as you suggested.
2. Gives a team an incentive to sell players rather than selfishly holding on to them (the Twellman case), which would allow talented young Americans to develop their talents in more competitive leagues. That's good for USMNT.
3. With more DP slots around, this would allow teams to bring in more high-profile international players to raise the global appeal of the league. That's good for MLS. Everybody wins!

With this new rule, NYRB (Altidore), Chivas (Guzan), and Dallas (Cooper) would all likely be earning additional DP slots. Meanwhile, teams like DC who prefer to utilize foreign talent rather than Americans might suffer.

Posted by: DCUMD | July 28, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure some of your younger readers might not know of the genius of "Young Frankenstein". And to think, Mel Brooks had YF and "Blazing Saddles" come out the same year.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | July 28, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

What knockers...Thank you Doctor..

Posted by: bobf | July 28, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry, Cooper will get his USMNT time, y'all. He was capped twice before his disappointing, injury-affected season last year. Now he's looking better than ever.

Posted by: Joe S. | July 28, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

As far as the "genius" of the Young Frankestein movie, I just don't see it. I remember as a teenager going to see Young Frankenstein, and I thought it was boring and abjectly un-funny from beginning to end, or at least until the point I walked out. The video clip above was a reminder of just how mind-numbingly stupid the movie was. Utter dreck. Same goes for Blazing Saddles. Just dumb and lame beyond belief.

Posted by: Ron | July 28, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Washington, DC (UPI) - Blockbuster Video executives are at a loss after a customer run on the cult movie classic, "Young Frankenstein" on Monday.

"It's weird," said Molly Ringwald, a cashier at the Rockville Blockbuster store. "At lunch time a whole group of men in their 20s and 30s stormed in the place and raced for the "comedy" section looking for 'Young Frankenstein.'"

"It makes no sense to me," said Kenny Cooper, the assistant store manager at the Arlington Blockbuster. "'Do you have a section on Mel Brookes,' this one crazed guy yelled at me. And he had on this stranged "Emirates" shirt on. I'm dumbfounded."

There were numerous reports of scuffles breaking out, although no damage was reported, Blockbuster officials say.

"This seems to be contained to the Washington, DC metro area," said vice president of marketing Mario Gori. "We've alerted our other stores nationwide, and we've ordered hundreds of extra copies of "Young Frankenstein," "Blazing Saddles" and "Spaceballs" just in case."

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 28, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

The name "Gary Cooper" came up on the radio yesterday on a very long road trip. When I yelled out "cooper" ala Frankenstein, my wife thought I was nuts.

Don & Mike used to play this clip a lot (before I even knew where it was from)...

Posted by: RK | July 28, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Joe Doc. May the Schwartz be with you.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 28, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

You can argue that the MLS AST has only played competition in preseason form, but don't discount that fact that the all star team is a "team" in name only. Almost none of these guys play together and they get about 1 training session together before the match.

I always love watching LA get crushed and yesterday was no exception. Their defense continues to be swiss cheese. The new guy they just signed was just as bad as the rest of them. And Donovan completely disappeared. Beckham did next to nothing. Buddle was missing in action. Ruiz was the only one who did much of anything. Dallas his the crossbar 3 TIMES! I suppose Ruud will complain that it was too hot to play.

Posted by: Glenn | July 28, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Good for Cooper that he can find a club that will pay him the six-figure salary that he deserves.

It's a bit sad though that MLS keeps losing its good players to less-than-stellar leagues such as Norway and Wales. Any chance that MLS will loosen up the salary cap rules any time soon?

Posted by: DeliBelly | July 28, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm with DeliBelly on this one. I understand that Cooper wants the payday, but I hate losing our talented players to mediocre leagues. We should be the premier mediocre league in the world :-)

Posted by: Jayboy | July 28, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DeliBelly | July 28, 2008 10:27 AM

The English Championship isn't exactly a league to scoff at no matter how much I agree with you that MLS needs to retain its talent.

Posted by: Hangin With Mr. Cooper | July 28, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

It's kind of a bummer to see these young guys feeling so smug about moving to Norway...
I know that money and other things are a huge incentive, but is that the only thing young American athlete's care about?
I wonder if any of these guys who've dashed at their first opportunity to go overseas ever sit there staring at themselves in the mirror with their diamond studs, and evisu jeans and miss actually playing regularly...
Or is the situation one where these guys have to jump before the hype bus leaves the station? I really don't have much perspective but the foreign sports press seems very TMZish to me. Focusing on coaches tiffs, metrosexual life style choices(Ronaldo,and Ronaldo), and who can spend the most money on the whiniest player.
Uhhh never mind. Cooper is a bull and I'd love to see him hang out for a minute before he goes all party boy with Troy.

Posted by: Dadryan | July 28, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DeliBelly | July 28, 2008 10:27 AM

Cardiff plays in the English Championship (Tier 2), not in Welsh League. The EC is quite the opposite to being "less-than-stellar". It is a league that showcases not only a variety of international talent but also one that allows the next generation of players to learn off some of the veterans of today. The EC also contains some of the bigger clubs of the British game as well as being the 4th most watched league in Europe (behind the EPL, Bundesliga and La Liga).

I think Kenny going to Cardiff would be a great move for him and would easily fill the slot left by Robbie Fowler (if he does indeed move to Blackburn).

Posted by: menyagi | July 28, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Sky Sports reports that MLS accepted 2 million pounds from Cardiff for Cooper. Done deal, I guess. God for Kenny. Maybe he can put them over the top in the FA Cup this year.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 28, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand, Everton seems poised to send Andy Johnston to Fulham, pushing our beloved EJ further down the bench. I suppose it might affect Dempsey's playing time.

Posted by: FIsch Fry | July 28, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse