International Friendlies at RFK

Local promoter Elias Polio has confirmed with the Insider that two international friendlies will be staged at RFK Stadium in the coming weeks:

*Bolivia-Guatemala, Wed., Aug. 6 at 8 p.m.
*El Salvador-Trinidad and Tobago, Thu., Aug. 14, at 8 p.m.

The matches will serve as serious tuneups for the three CONCACAF teams preparing for the start of the next 2010 World Cup qualifying round on Aug. 20 (Guatemala-USA, El Salvador-Costa Rica and T&T-Cuba). Bolivia's next qualifier is Sept. 6 at Ecuador. Might we see DCU's Jaime Moreno suit up for Bolivia? United plays on Aug. 2 and 10.

Tickets for both matches will go on sale soon.

By Steve Goff  |  July 23, 2008; 10:33 AM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Weather ... or Not?

Comments

As much as id like to see jaime play in that game it aint happening!!!!

Posted by: 135 | July 23, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Those teams better hope there's no rain, faulty lights, or power outages.

Posted by: Giannicolus Jones | July 23, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget we play August 12th at home.

Posted by: Mark | July 23, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget we play August 12th at home.

Posted by: Mark | July 23, 2008 10:58 AM
====================
Who's we, kimosabe?

Posted by: M. Burch | July 23, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Who says Jaime ain't playing?

Posted by: Chico | July 23, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Another sell-out!!!

Guate & ES, my teams goona sell it out.

Payne better be there to see what the Diaz Arce effect has done to DC over the time!!!

he has two games to watch!!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 23, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Sellouts? Uh, no.

Posted by: Goff | July 23, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

--------------------

Could you explain what this is about? I'm sort of in the dark here

Posted by: Springfield | July 23, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

The Diaz-Arce effect refers to a doubling of ticket sales when a beloved player is traded and then returns to play at RFK as a visitor. It is somewhat confounding because the vast majority of fans who come out to support the returning player did not attend matches while he was member of the local team.

DC's average attendance dropped by a few hundred when RDA was traded away, but increased by many thousands when he visited.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 23, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I am going to be there for El Salvador match!

Posted by: Elvis | July 23, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JMR | July 23, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I say Jaime is not playing !!!!

Posted by: 135 | July 23, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for a really big world class game.

Like Solomon Islands vs El Salvador in the FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup:

Posted by: garbaggio | July 23, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks I-270-->well explained!!!!
and it is a sell out if you get more than 25k than it is, ie. Guate vs ES. or ES. vs. Anguilla. Its not a sell out for those who wish to DC matches like the ones we have seen with ES involved or Guate. =P

Well good to see RFK getting international matches.
Hopefully we will see more international matches in the coming year!!!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 23, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The Diaz Arce effect to me equals to the decrease in violence and petty crime at the stadium after Diaz Arce left MLS.

Too bad that such a classy player was followed by so many morons. We stopped attending DCU games for a while, after being victims of a number of thefts and hostilities.

Thankfully, RFK is more family friendly today so that I can go with the family and enjoy the match without having to worry about people throwing bottles my way because I wear a DCU jersey.

Posted by: juanma | July 23, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see that El Salvador, Bolivia, etc play at RFK more than the United States.

Pathetic.

Posted by: Hoost | July 23, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

juanma,
thats a biased comment..not all who followed the classy player were morons. petty crime? and violence? man you really need to stop complaing all i can remember was good drunken fun and a passionate crowd. I think your confusing the (dull) nationals crowd with the united crowd. Sucks if you were victims of "crimes" but I dont know what you did to call attention to yourself. Check yourself! your probably mad your didnt duck in time...

and to hoost,
you know very well the US squad slobs all over the Home Depots Stadium nuts. The US can fill up that stadium faster than they can fill ours.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 23, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

*you didn't

correct

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 23, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

*you didn't

correct me

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 23, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Goffinho,

Does the USSF have to approve all foreign teams playing here? Do they just rubber stamp these and take a cut of the promoter's profits? It just seems like the U.S. is North America's soccer playground.

Posted by: AM | July 23, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Hoost is not totally off the mark there, and not everything people remember were "good drunken fun and passionate fans"

I remember the stabbing that took place and how scared my little brother got, I also remember drunken MS13 wannabe idiots throwing their hand signs and cursing and pelting us with crap because we wore US jerseys. So no not everything was rosey and peachy during those days.

Posted by: Thora | July 23, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@TheWashDips88
Bro, I love the username and really enjoy reading your posts.

But.... I gotta strongly disagree with you this time, my Man.

Personally, when I think of the Salvadoran national team I no longer think of RDA, but since the thread has gone there...

I'm one of the people who remembers those days after the first trade and to a lesser degree those days after the illadvised second signing. I freaking hated going to United games during that period. It sucked.
I didn't like the clowns looking for drama. It wasn't fun and I didn't feel like spending my money and taking a subway ride for the some of the same lame@ss behavior that I could get in my own barrio (Langley Park) for free.

juanma stated "that it was too bad that such a classy player was followed by so many morons". Bro, he never called every RDA fan a moron. And he was a lot nicer than I would have been because I am still bitter about RDA not denouncing more of the loser like behavior. It might have made a little difference. Maybe not. We'll never know. In response to some of the trouble created by some of his legion of fans, I do remember some sort of comments to the effect of "They should have never traded me." Which I always took as "That is what you get for dissing me".

I'm still bitter. He could've said "Hey, be mad, be angry. I love your support and I love you but please, there are some of you, a few of you-- please it off with the negative and sometimes criminal behavior. We are representing ES and even if you are angry with DC management, we don't want to do anything that disparage our community's reputation".

Something like that. Not hard. But his ego got in the way. And that is what I remember more than what he did on the field. What I didn't hear him say.

Let me be clear (mas claro que agua):

It wasn't RDA's fault. People are responsible for their own behavior. But for me, his lack of at least trying to speak up--even after someone was stabbed--
it tainted the DC legacy for me.

I'm really glad that you had appear to have had a different experience during that time. And I'm not being sarcastic and I'm not trying to talk down to you. Like I said at the beginning, I enjoy reading your posts.

I just want you to understand, that during that time some of us had a different experience. Please don't marginalize it or just dismiss it so easily.

I remember like it was last week: (not dissing the Freedom or the WUSA but I stopped going to United games and started going exclusively to Freedom games because I could still get my fix and not have to deal with some of RDA supposed fans messing with me or my wife or my wife's godaughter, just looking for fights because they were mad that United had disrecpected El Salvador by trading RDA. Like Payne and Kasper asked me my opinion before the pulled the trigger on the deal.

In many of our cases the only thing that we had to do to "call attention" to ourselves was not be Salvadoran and be unlucky enough to be in the "wrong place at the wrong time". The wrong place was pretty much in the stadium or in the parking lot. How are you gonna mess with a woman and a girl?

It sucked. The Freedom gave me a chance to go see a competetive soccer team in a family friendly enviroment drama free and I will always love them for it.

I am thrilled that the Salvadoran National team is going to be returning. Same with the other national sides. it is good for the local colonias (communities) and good for soccer and definitely good for our local economy. I hope to make it to a match. For me, them coming is something that I don't associate with the dark days that I was talking about.

Posted by: yankiboy | July 23, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Kasper and United can come and scout some of the young prospect on the Bolivian National team like Jhasmani Campos whos only 20-21 and scored that banger after Moreno's goal vs. Peru.

Or Juan Carlos Arce who was playing in brasil(corinthians before they got relegated) then went for one season to Saudia Arabia, great touch and skill like moreno in his prime, very tricky, likes to emulate C. Ronaldo with his moves. Can score, head, pass, and is quick.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | July 23, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

O yea, god rewatching that highlight of when Moreno scored that golazzzoo..... almost makes me want to jump up and down like i did when it happened!

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | July 23, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey yankiboy
Much love

I totally agree with you man. Look I speak that way cause i'm half Guanaco & Chapin (sending my love to Gua & ES) but I have to take a stand when people want to complain about soccer. Granted I dont defend those actions but knowing how soccer is played out in other countries, this audience has it lucky. Not to mention that was 10-11 years ago. I bet you those dudes are much older and prolly couldnt stay awake even half the game but now its much calmer why? cause they have kids themselves lol. The atmosphere has changed a bit which I dont mind but sometimes I would like some more noise. This isnt b-ball nor baseball. No one comes to the game to talk about their day with their friends (joking). But yeah, the US audience in soccer has it much easier when it comes to crowds, just people dont want to assimilate to the culture through out the world. Just like wilbon and his streamers issue. You know if he would come to the game and complained the only thing he would need was a spanish-english dictionary to translate this.."come mierda hijueputa!" and to point out that issue even more how about the Crew vs the West Ham supporters. Im telling you people have to get with it.
Another thing, im past the whole RDA issue but I dont hold back in bring it up. Its great that DCU has a pipeline to South America but it sucks that central america, mexico, and the carribean gets over looked sometimes with some quality players.

much love!!

im done!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 23, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

hey what are you talking about,bolivian dc fan???? there is not a single good soccer player from bolivia, they all suckkk, there is no talent , please dont compare any of them to c ronaldo,,,,,,,,, come on, you got to be kidding me , how in the world will you say that ???? you must be out of your mind, they just a bouch of native people running around the ball and know nothing about soccer, im sorry man , is the truth, it hurts but it is realilty, dc should try to bring some european talent , or at least argentinas class player, but not bovilia,......... you kill me on that one!!!

Posted by: Bolivia sucks | July 23, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

european talent to DC? are u f'ng kidding, with their inflated salaries? for the price some of those has beens want to charge you can get better players in Africa and Latin America, and don't even say "young" euro talent cause none of them are coming over for the prestige of the CONCACAF champions league.

Considering amongst our teams and our leagues greatest players are 2 Bolivians, and considering the most recognized and respected supporters group from day 1 was started by mostly Bolivians. I find your insults to our Bolivian brothers childish and laughable, but please come by to a tailgate and share your wonderful thoughts with everyone =) The fact that I've discovered the wonderfulness of Saltenyas alone thanks to them gets an A+ from me.

PS - Copa Libertadores co-leading scorer was a Bolivian, who I wish etch or Moreno would convince to come to DC, unfortunately we can't afford him =(

Posted by: Bolivia sucks, sucks | July 23, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Nobody's pee'd on the floor or in the sinks since RDA retired.

Posted by: UncleSam | July 24, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Haha. That guy was a joke, but hopefully DC can find a bargain when Bolivia comes to play.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | July 24, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Nobody's pee'd on the floor or in the sinks since RDA retired.

Posted by: UncleSam | July 24, 2008 10:54 AM

Ouch....

Posted by: Thora | July 24, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see the Bolivia game on Ticketmaster yet: anybody have an idea on tickets? Thanks.

Posted by: stavros | July 24, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

now the tickets for bolivia are on ticetmaster

lets go BOLIVIA!!!!! Im going to see that gae for sure im gooing to see juan carlos arce maybe marcelo martins yeah campos is a great player he should go to dc united yeah people from dc united should see the bolivia match because they should pick up players from the Bolivian National
TEam

Posted by: Anonymous | July 25, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

bolivia is playin on independence day, hope a lot of people turn out!

Posted by: david | July 29, 2008 4:29 AM | Report abuse

Lol. I'm amused by the amount of ignorance when it comes to the sport of soccer. First of all, "Boliviasucks" is an idiot. Bolivian soccer has so much potential, however politics as well as money plays a major role in the success of a team. More money to spend= more money to pay players= more money for better coaches, etc. Bolivia, unfortunately does not have a strong economy. And just because Bolivia does not hold a strong economy, in no way implies we are "a bunch of natives that know nothing about soccer." That opinion is ignorant, and its people like you that make this world reek of discrimination. I am Bolivian,I am educated and I play soccer. Better yet, I bet I could beat half you guys in soccer all because I had an amazing Coach throughout my youth years who taught me and my teammates everything he knew about the sport of soccer. We won many championships and tournaments including THE Disney International Soccer Tournament. Many of my teammates went on to play at the college level. And guess what, he is my father, he is Bolivian. And at an age of 45, I bet he could school you in soccer as well. So next time you're going to make an ignorant comment like that, not just about Bolivia, but about any other country. Just don't, you completely humiliated yourself.

Posted by: FutbolBoliviana | July 30, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

I'd also like to add that the guy "BoliviaSucks" is an idiot. Etcheverry(as well as Harkes and the other boys) has carried DC UNITED on his shoulders since the league started. He was the most undervalued player in the league, he could have easily been playing in Spain or Europe but instead chose to grow soccer America and bring the DC supporters joy by winning so many titles. He kept everyone excited about the league and the way the game should be played with his magical touch and amazing vision he displayed.

Posted by: VamosBolivia | July 30, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I like the Redsox myself!!!

but go brown

Diaz arce sucks

Posted by: The Dean | August 6, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I find that Bolivia plays great but they always have a weak spot in their game. They should hire better coaches!!!

word to your motha!!

I have kids in every single continent that true!!

Posted by: Micheal Bolton | August 6, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse