Introducing the USA Olympic Team.....

GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)*, Chris Seitz (RSL).
DEFENDERS: Michael Parkhurst (New England)*, Patrick Ianni (Houston), Marvell Wynne (Toronto), Michael Orozco (San Luis), Nathan Sturgis (RSL).
MIDFIELDERS: Maurice Edu (Toronto), Stuart Holden (Houston), Freddy Adu (Benfica), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Michael Bradley (Heerenveen), Danny Szetela (Brescia), Benny Feilhaber (Derby).
FORWARDS: Brian McBride (free agent)*, Charlie Davies (Hammarby), Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Robbie Rogers (Columbus).
*overage selections

Alternates: GK Dominic Cervi, D Frankie Hejduk, MF Dax McCarty, F Robbie Findley.

The squad will gather Sunday in Palo Alto and then head to Hong Kong for friendlies against Ivory Coast and Cameroon.

Who would you like to see in the starting lineup for the opener Aug. 7 against Japan in Tianjin?

By Steve Goff  |  July 17, 2008; 12:55 PM ET
Categories:  Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Carvallo Gone, Phelan Update
Next: Surgery for Gallardo and Peralta

Comments

First!

Posted by: IJC | July 17, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

I believe Szetela was bought outright by Brescia after his loan spell from Racing ended.

Posted by: Nic | July 17, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I'll take a stab:

-------------Guzan-----------------
Wynne-Orozco-Parkhurst-Sturgis
----------Bradley-------------
Szetela ------------Rogers
----------Adu------------
Altidore-------McBride

Will Benny F be healthy and in form by then?

Posted by: Pete | July 17, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm excited about this roster -- good balance of experience, skill, and outright athleticism.

Posted by: hoyanick | July 17, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

No Arturo Alvarez, I thought he'd be a lock

Posted by: DC United Fan | July 17, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Nic

Will update

Posted by: Goff | July 17, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

That looks like a hell of an attacking lineup, Pete. I like it.

Posted by: Colm | July 17, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Goff: What happens if one of the U23 defenders gets injured? Surely Hedjuk wouldn't be able to replace him since that would be 4 over-age players, right? What's the thought of selecting him as an alternate? That Nicol might not let Parkhurst go?

Posted by: bwidell | July 17, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Solid group.

Awesome line-up there, Pete.

Posted by: Kosh | July 17, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Do the alternates report to camp as well?

Posted by: Fid | July 17, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

How can Frankie be our alternate defender, being that he's way... way... overage? If a defender (other than Parkhurst) went down, what would we do and how would Frankie ever be used?
P.S. I realize that Edu could also play in the back.

Posted by: Postmaster | July 17, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Pete, I like your lineup, all though, I would put in Edu at Defense for Orozco.

Posted by: JAV | July 17, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Edu has played in the back for the u-23s and would step in if a defender were injured. (Heck, he may end up playing in the back, anyway.) Hejduk would be called up if McBride or Parkhurst went down and fill a midfield/defender role.

Posted by: Goff | July 17, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

4-1-2-1-2 formation

Guzan
Parkhurst,Wynne,Ianni,Sturgis

Bradley

Szetela, Edu or Kljestan (either of the two will work)

Adu

McBride, Alitore

Posted by: Monty | July 17, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

McBride and Altidore up top? We'll get the Mexis shaking in their boots.

Posted by: Whoa. | July 17, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Feilhaber's healthy? How far off from surgery is he?

Posted by: psps23 | July 17, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Ambeobi likes what he sees. Welcome back Benny. That's a great lineup and I'm sure most US fans will be satisfied.

The best part is that we may get a Benny and Sacha podcast. Those are hysterical.

Posted by: Ameobi | July 17, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Dilema. Mcbride, Altidore, Davies. Davies looks to be the type of player that will be compatible with both Mcbride and Altidore, however, I don't think Mcbride and Altidore would work as a pairing. So, what do you do? Have Jozy sit a few games (a good performance in the olympics could help him gain a starting spot at villa) Sit Mcbride a few games (even tho he's an overage player) or sit davies and take a chance with the two muscle men (i know there is more to Jozy than muscle, however you can hardly say he has break away speed)

Posted by: sean | July 17, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I thought Kamani Hill did a good job as rightback, during the qualifying rounds.

Posted by: JAV | July 17, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see a 3-5-2 lineup. Parkhurst as sweeper plus two marking defenders in the back. Bradley and Feilhaber doing the hard work in central midfield, with Adu playing just behind the forwards.

The question is: who could play the wide positions in this system? Also, is a three-man defense strong enough with the players we have?

Posted by: SSMD | July 17, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Christ Seitz is a Solid Goalkeeper, I think that Mastroeni would have been a more help than Guzan.

Posted by: JAV | July 17, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen or heard about Michael Bradley moving away from Heerenveen? I thought with his play last season he would be moving up the ladder to a bigger club.

Posted by: peridigm | July 17, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I have doubts on Patrick Ianni, he is an ok back, but very slow and gets beat often.

Posted by: JAV | July 17, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

anyone know if this has an impact on whether Rogers is playing tonight? Gotta know whether to switch up my fantasy team.

Posted by: downtown | July 17, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

-------------Guzan--------------
Parkhurst------Ianni----------Edu
Rogers--Bradley--Kljestan--Holden
--------------Adu----------------
--------Altidore--McBride-------

Posted by: GoUnited | July 17, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

If someone of Altidore and McBride has to sit it's Brian. IMO it's imperative to get Altidore experience playing in these kinds of big time international events, he's in the future of the national team while McBride is not. I'm grateful for everything Brian has given us but Altidore has to start if healthy, IMO.

As for the lineup, I'd rather see Bradley push forward like he does in club play and let Edu play the holding role. If Bradley's pushing forward, I'm happy with Freddy supporting Altidore as the attack pairing with Rogers also providing offense from the left. My lineup:

-------------Guzan-----------------
Wynne-Ianni-Parkhurst-Sturgis
-------------Edu-------------
Szetela-Bradley-Rogers
-------------Adu------------
-----------Altidore-------

Posted by: Joe Williams | July 17, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Good in goal, midfield and forward - defense is the weak link.

G: Guzan
D: Wynne - Parkhurst - Orozco/Edu - Sturgis
M: Kljestan - Bradley - Adu - Rogers
F: McBride - Altidore

I would not mind seeing Sturgis out of there if one of the centerbacks could play there.

Posted by: Oliver | July 17, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

How about Hunter Freedman or Sean Franklin, instead of Ianni

Posted by: JAV | July 17, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

OK so our first game against Japan is being play at:
Aug 7, 2008 17:00 in China

What time (and day) is that here in DC?

Posted by: Michael | July 17, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I would have brought another overage defender instead of McBride, that position is our weakest link and needs the most attention. We've got enough attacking talent already.

Posted by: Fred W. | July 17, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

What happened with the guy from Pachuca, he didnt want to play with the U.S.? Or what is the story anybody know?

Posted by: JAV | July 17, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Latest word is that Szetela is still owned by Racing, but loaned until next June.

"El club cántabro cedió al Brescia hasta el 30 de junio al centrocampista estadounidense, que seguirá, tras el nuevo acuerdo, otra temporada más en el equipo italiano."

Posted by: RK | July 17, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

USA vs. Japan, 8/7, 5:00 am EDT, MSNBC and Universal HD
USA vs. Netherlands, 8/10, 7:45 am EDT, USA and USA-HD
USA vs. Nigeria, 8/13, 5:00 am EDT, USA and USA-HD

Posted by: RK | July 17, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

JAV, Torres has not made a decision yet.

Where's Kenny Cooper?!?! ;)

Posted by: RK | July 17, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

RE: Joe Williams

I doubt Nowak's bringing McBride to leave him on the bench. The point here is to win games, not to get certain players experience. That's what friendlies are for.

Posted by: Kenobi | July 17, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Sideline Views has an interview with Torres of Pachuca. He pretty much says that if offered he'll probably take it, but until that happens he wants to focus on his club career with Pachuca.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | July 17, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Cooper would be overage -- just by a bit.

We really miss Spector.

Posted by: Postmaster | July 17, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Where in Palo Alto will the team be training? Stanford?

Also, just curious, in the unlikely event 2 of our GK's go down, which of the field players would be pressed into the backup GK role?

Posted by: Ron | July 17, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know who NBC will be beating us to death with on play-by-play? JP and Marcelo? English-speaking Andres Cantor? Jerome Bettis?

Posted by: AM | July 17, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

If U.S. is persuing Torres and he rejects them, that would be messed up. I am also a Mexican American, but with out a doubt would play for the U.S.

Posted by: JAV | July 17, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

besides kamani hill who else figured in qualification but was left off the roster?

thank god chad barrett didn't make the cut.

Posted by: pat | July 17, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Go U.S.A.

Posted by: JAV | July 17, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Guzan
Wynne Parkhurst Ianni Sturgis
Edu
Feilhaber Bradley
Adu
Altidore McBride

I am concerned (as has been voiced above) about our limited number of defenders. What if one (or more) of our defenders gets two yellows and is suspended in the elimination rounds? We're f'ed!

On the other hand, I'm VERY happy to see Benny back and hope this gets him a move away from Derby. Either join Guzan at Villa Park or come to DC!

Posted by: Dave | July 17, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

McBride and Altidore up top? We'll get the Mexis shaking in their boots.

Posted by: Whoa. | July 17, 2008 1:42 PM
--------------------------------
Idiot. They're not even in the Olympics...

Posted by: Ken | July 17, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

G: Guzan
D: Wynne - Parkhurst - Orozco - Sturgis
M: Kljestan - Bradley - Adu - Rogers
F: McBride - Altidore

This is my lineup for game #1 and I'm sticking to it. The overage players didn't come to not play.

Posted by: strago | July 17, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When Szetela was with Columbus he was the emergency goalkeeper...

Posted by: fID | July 17, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

--------
Off topic but this is funny.

Posted by: fame | July 17, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

LOL...just as long as it's not Chris Collinsworth.

Posted by: CMJ | July 17, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

For once, I agree with Peter Nowak. I'd like to see this:

-----McBride----Altidore-----
------------Adu--------------
Rogers---------------Kljestan
----------Bradley------------
-------Parkhurst--Edu--------
Sturgis-----------------Wynne
----------Guzan--------------

I wouldn't be surprised to see Orozco in place of Edu, though personally I prefer Edu. It makes me a little nervous having only 5 and 1/2 defenders at a tournament, but I guess the good news is that one of them is Michael Parkhurst, who never, ever draws cards.

Posted by: Jeff M | July 17, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

speaking of Guzan, it is looking like he will have some good company at Aston Villa, because it looks like Brad Friedel is moving there too.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

McCarty played in the key qualifiers and is an alternate.

Posted by: ahelms | July 17, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

on the one hand it is nice that DCU won't have to play against Holden, but on the other it is a shame because I enjoy watching him.

Posted by: Glenn | July 17, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Somebody remind me what Feilhaber has done to warrant selection to this team?

I would much rather have seen Sean Franklin go in at least an alternate role. I understand he's injured at the moment but that was projected as a short term knock.

Overall, it could be worse.

Posted by: Brian | July 17, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Will any of the training sessions be open next week?

Posted by: Karl | July 17, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Would love to see McBride & Jozy start but I suspect he'll sit one of them(Jozy), being as the're both target men.

I was hoping Guzan would get his stuff together with Villa, Seitz is more than capable and in the long run will be better than Guzan in my opinion.

The Pachuca kid, I think you gotta look at it like 2 really hot chiks with different qualities but equally hot, who do you go out with? the first one that shows interest in you!

Posted by: TonyT | July 17, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Has anybody heard anything about Benny's progress health-wise (other than the fact he made the roster)? Has he played in any games? How long has been cleared for full-contact? Fitness? Any insight into this would be MUCH appreciated.

I for one am extremely happy to see him back on the roster - and hopefully - on the field.

Posted by: psps23 | July 17, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I feel for Dax he is a quality player with a bright future. Charlie davies sucks, he is just fast, in my opinion so play mcbride and alitidore.

Posted by: boom | July 17, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Don't know but why do I get the feeling the only reason Feilhaber got called up is because they want to showcase him so he can actually get on a decent team. The guys done absolutey NOTHING to earn any significant playing time in a US jersey.

I thought the people who claimed he was a has been went overboard, well I'm ready to take it a step further. He's a never been. One volley in the Gold Cup should not buy you so many chances. If he starts any games I'll literally jump off the wilson bridge.....again =)

Posted by: MaybCrazee | July 17, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron | July 17, 2008 2:22 PM
==========================================

First, let's clarify that this is a problem only if two keepers run into problems in the same match, as the rules specify that exactly two keepers will suit up for each game. If one of them is lost, then Cervi suits up for the next contest.

But that raises another question about the use of alternates. Can an alternate be brought in for a single game, or can they only be used in the case of tournament-ending injuries? The language at the FIFA site is not clear one way or the other.

Posted by: tri-village | July 17, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

after a dull niller against japan, we shall lose the next two. 3 and out.

Posted by: positive thinking | July 17, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that's gonna be some high-scoring games. Our defense if woeful. They would make Devon McTavish look like the second coming of Bobby Charlton.

Three-and-out baby!

At least they'll get carbon monoxide poisoning for their troubles!!!

Posted by: bristol | July 17, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

From another blog:

JP, Marcelo, Adrian Healy, Glenn Davis all getting Olympic soccer love from NBC.

Posted by: JkR | July 17, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MaybCrazee | July 17, 2008 3:34 PM

How in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks can Feilhaber be a "has been"? He's 23! What do you guys want from him?

Why do you think they want to showcase this guy? Could it be, I don't know, because he's MORE TALENTED than the players left off?

If you think he's been given so many chances without earning it on the field, how about you take a look at the coach's son. Michael Bradley's been given exponentially more chances than Feilhaber, and he's done FAR less with the USMNT. Everybody's so enamored with great club performances... I'll take great International performances any day.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

It's just not a men's US Roster without Cervi's name on it.

Posted by: Kim | July 17, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Do the alternates report to camp as well?

Posted by: Fid | July 17, 2008 1:35 PM
=========================================

I would be surprised if they didn't. If they don't go to China with everyone else, then they would have to be available to fly halfway around the world on a moment's notice.

If I am correct, then that means that Columbus is taking two hits (Rogers and Hejduk). Using an elder like Hejduk as an alternate seems odd, because he can only sub for McBride or Parkhurst, whereas McCarty and Findley can sub for any field player.

Posted by: tri-village | July 17, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I don't know, I think the criticism of Feilhaber is both warranted and appropriate. Since his wonder volley against Mex., he's been dreadful in the few on field appearances he's made at any level, in any competition. Sluggish and uninvolved, I'd say.

That's not to say he isn't good, or that he's not 'in form' now, but you can't say his form has been anywhere near good the past few times he's kicked a ball in anger...

Posted by: JkR | July 17, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Not a bad roster even tough as many have said the defense is very thin and honestly nobody on the 6 man list (include Edu) really is a lock down defender. Perhaps this team with offensive fire power will beat Japan and get a draw vs Nigeria but even if they make it out of group play I can't see them doing anything with that defense unless Guzan comes up huge.

Posted by: GLOVE | July 17, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

NBC's announced lineup for soccer commentators:

SOCCER: JP Dellacamera, play-by-play; Glenn Davis, play-by-play; Adrian Healey, play-by-play; Steve Cangialosi, play-by-play; Marcelo Balboa, analyst; Brandi Chastain, analyst; Shep Messing, analyst; Lori Walker, analyst.

Posted by: Susan | July 17, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR | July 17, 2008 4:34 PM

I personally haven't seen him as "dreadful" in any competition he's played with the US. At Copa America he was one of the few players who actually looked like he belonged on the field. And the only other shots he's been given are very few and far between. The only times I've thought he looked "bad" was when he was put on the flank (which is not and should not be his position). Every time I see Feilhaber in the middle of the field, the ball moves quicker and the flow of the game is much smoother. IMO, he's already a top 3 option at center-mid for the full squad, let alone the Olympic squad (provided he's healthy, of course).

Posted by: psps23 | July 17, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | July 17, 2008 5:02 PM

Of course, I hope you're right, but Copa America was a full year ago. His playing time at Derby County was nil, and when he got in, he was dreadful. He even looked out of shape and unmotivated.

I Grant that Derby could make anyone look bad, but a reserve that gets a shot at playing time can't look lackadaisical and expect to use it as a springboard to international duty.

At any rate, based on his form over the past year, criticism of his play is certainly warranted, if not expected.

Posted by: JkR | July 17, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Many thanks! Is it me or is there a very small pool of competent soccer announcers in this country? Well, it still beats Jack Edwards...

NBC's announced lineup for soccer commentators:

Posted by: Susan | July 17, 2008 4:54 PM

Posted by: AM | July 17, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Whatever stuff your smoking psps23 just
puff, puff, give

Feilhaber = overrated

Only in America, can a bench guy at the worst EPL team in history and a bench guy everywhere he's been get so much love from the USMNT fans. He's almost 24, it's not like he's a "young prospect" anymore,

Posted by: Silos | July 17, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

FAIL-haver was a one hit wonder. What is the fasination with this dude? Dax McCarthy IN. Benny-no-jets OUT.

Posted by: LostinDallas | July 17, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Outside of Patrick Ianni, I like the selections. I wish there was some natural LB that we can bring, but I don't know if we have any. Bringing Feilhaber is questionable, but if he is anywhere as good as he was last year during Gold Cup and Copa America, it will end up being a good selection in the long run.

Posted by: Felix | July 17, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

For those who keep crying for Sean Franklin, please remember he is injured and not playing.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | July 17, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering if NBC would show the games or leave them in the dark as if never happened while they show cycling and lots of other junkies.

Posted by: arlington4united | July 17, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Whatever stuff your smoking psps23 just
puff, puff, give

Feilhaber = overrated

Posted by: Silos | July 17, 2008 5:23 PM

Wrong. Only in America do we have idiots who hold club performances in higher regard than international performances (actually England does this too. See Lampard, Frank).

And it's a good thing the US doesn't subscribe to any moronic rule of making sure all prospects are under 24 years of age. Pablo Mastroeni, Clint Dempsey, Carlos Bocanegra, and Tony Sanneh would all have been in trouble becoming regulars if that were the case.

Posted by: psps23 | July 17, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

LOL @psps23! Current form doesn't matter!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

First...Go Terps! All the best to Robbie, Maurice, Chris and their mates. Great way for McBride to go out. Don't get the Hejduk alternate place. Hope Feilhaber uses the tourney to return to form that showed such great promise just a couple years ago. Expect beautiful things from Freddy, Bradley, and Jozy. C'mon U.S.!

Posted by: YanksMarching | July 17, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arlington4united | July 17, 2008 8:11 PM
=========================================

I believe this was addressed by RK's post at 2:10 p.m. All games involving the USA will be broadcast live on some NBC-affiliated channel.

Posted by: tri-village | July 18, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Why is it that when asked for starting line-ups, everyone thinks Michael Bradley is a lock for the holding midfielder role. Ladies and Gentlemen, 20 goals for Heenreveen in all competitions, the most for an American in major Eurpopean leagues ever. Bradley is an attacking midfielder.

You want a good holding midfielder on this squad--see Mo Edu.

Any line-up you build, after putting Guzan in net and Orozco-Parkhurst-Wynne+1 in the back line, you will always wonder why some player wasn't included. If you play one man up top, is it McBride or Altidore. If you play two up top, who should play in the midfield. Do you play a diamond or more of a line across? Who plays on the wings (Rodgers would be a solid pick for the left, but what about the right, Holden, Klejstan? Just so many options.

This kind of line up and a few of the quality omissions (Kamani Hill) gives me some hope for the future of American soccer.

Posted by: Matt Johnston | July 18, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

LOL @psps23! Current form doesn't matter!

Posted by: | July 17, 2008 10:26 PM

"Current form" is the most overrated aspect of selecting international squads. It should be taken into account, especially for fitness reasons, but talent should FAR outweigh "current form".

"Current form" is the reason we had players like Bobby Convey start over Damarcus Beasley in WC 2006 (and we saw how that worked out), or Jeff Agoos starting over any US professional, collegiate, or amateur center back in any World Cup. Thankfully, the US coaches have started to learn.

Posted by: psps23 | July 18, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse