Late-Morning Kickaround

*Barcelona bids farewell to Ronaldinho, welcomes Alexander Hleb from Arsenal. More details here.

*The USA women prepare for their final Olympic tuneup tonight against Brazil in San Diego. Kickoff is 10 p.m. ET on Fox Soccer Channel.

*SuperLiga tonight: Pachuca at New England (8 p.m. Telefutura) and Santos Laguna at Chivas USA (10 p.m. Telefutura).

*The Washington Freedom (9-1-1) will play Long Island (7-2-2) at 7 tonight at Maryland SoccerPlex, its final regular season home game until next spring, when the club will be a member of the WPS, the new national women's league.

*Has that baseball all-star thing ended yet?

SuperLiga at RFK: 5 goals in 1 hour 55 minutes.
Midsummer Classic: 7 runs in 4 hours 50 minutes.
You do the math.

By Steve Goff  |  July 16, 2008; 10:40 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: SuperLiga Status, Reyna Situation
Next: Gallardo, Peralta Possible Surgery

Comments

Attendance:

Superliga: 12,122

ASG: 55,632

Posted by: AM | July 16, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Yep.

Soccer is the low scoring sport.....

Posted by: Kim | July 16, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Until Madonna is shtupping Ronnie O'Brien, we should probably keep our mouths shut about this whole thing.

Posted by: Logan Circle | July 16, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Baseball is the worst and pointless. Awful

Posted by: XGBX | July 16, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

The sad thing is that I got home from the Super Liga match last nite and still watched another 3 hours or so (7+ innings) of that baseball thingy.

Posted by: Sec. 1 | July 16, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

While I understand more when it comes to the stadium issue, one does not need disdain baseball to like soccer, or vice-versa.

Also, if you have an interest in getting other people to watch the sport, it's not really the best selling point. Lots of people like baseball. I like baseball. It's really not a bad thing, and this isn't a zero-sum game.

Posted by: Kyle | July 16, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Kyle,
I agree with you. I meant my comment as a way to make fun of the folks that say that soccer is 'boring' due to the low scoring. When in fact, it's pretty close to MLB and the NHL....and when you break it down, not too far off from the NFL (just because they have larger point values doesn't mean they score more).

Posted by: Kim | July 16, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

There are a few interesting parallels between baseball and soccer, to say nothing of the fact Cal Ripken was a well regarded soccer player in high school.

1) I think they are both sports of the Americas, which is not to say they are not played anywhere else, but I think they would be among the most popular sports in every country from Canada to Chile. Furthermore, they are the two sports in the U.S. which are the most multi-cultural, specifically blending in the significant hispanic populations in this country.

2) Aside from college football, I am not sure there are two better sports to travel for - soccer, internationally and baseball, across the U.S. whether minor or major. I have seen over 30 baseball stadiums and soccer games in six countries, and it's always a thrill to add a stadium or new city to my list.

And really, who's to say Ronnie is not shtupping Madonna?

Posted by: AM | July 16, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"I think soccer fandom is starting to reach that level of maturity where the inferiority complex needs to go away, and we can all just enjoy a bunch of sports."

Couldn't agree more, Kim. Well said.

Posted by: bryan | July 16, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Baseball and soccer can coexist. I grew up as (and I still am) a passionate Phillies fan. I am also a DCU supporter and season ticket holder. My brother who still lives in Philly, is a Phils season ticket holder and yes, he's planning to get a plan for the new Philly MLS team too. Are we the exception? Maybe but I don't think so.

Be glad soccer is making into the sports mainstream of our country, much as some people might deny it, it is happening.

Posted by: CMJ | July 16, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Going to be at the USA/Brazil women's game tonight. Look for us in our colors and face paint behind the goal! Hopefully Abby will get her 100th tonight! Thinking about wearing my DCU scarf, but then it's pretty hot in SD right now. :)

Posted by: Nytshade in San Diego | July 16, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Love baseball.

Love soccer.

Never understood the disdain between fans of either toward the other.

Maybe based on last night's performance, United should sign Dan Uggla to play defense.

Posted by: Eddie C | July 16, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Me, I'm a man for all seasons: baseball season, football season, basketball season, soccer, hockey, etc. etc. etc.

I had MLSnet's SuperLiga video streams on my laptop, and was watching the All Star Game on the tube. My laptop battery lasted until halftime of the Houston-Guadalajara game, then I had to go plug it in...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 16, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

That photo of Doe's goal is fantastic. Prize winner.

Posted by: David | July 16, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does it seem like the Women's National Team plays Brazil every other day?

Posted by: Ameobi | July 16, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

You're not far off the mark. The number of truly competitive WNTs in the world is about the size of MLS. So it should come as no surprise that they mostly play one another, often several times a year, just as DCU and the Chicago Fire do.

Posted by: tri-village | July 16, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse