Matchnight SuperLiga: DCU-Atlante

Greetings from Estadio RFK.

As you probably know by now, New York designated player Claudio Reyna is set to announce his retirement tomorrow. One of my contacts joked that he thought Reyna had retired a year ago. Cruel, I know, but this arrangement clearly did not work out well for the Red Bulls or one of the most accomplished players in American soccer history.

Was it an amicable separation? "Neither party wants anything to do with each other," said one source familiar with the situation.

How will Reyna's departure affect New York's ability to sign a high-profile replacement? Hopefully, details to come.

Okay, let's move on to SUPERLiga!

DCU facing a must-win situation tonight following Saturday's 2-1 loss to Chivas.

Predictions in what minute the lights will go out at RFK this time? I'll go with the 72nd.

Rumblings of DCU interest in a right-side player from Argentina. Hope to share details this evening.

I'll be back with DCU's lineup and subs.....

DCU LINEUP: Wells; Namoff, McTavish, Burch, Martinez; Thompson, Simms, Moreno, Fred; Doe, Emilio. Subs: Thorpe, Zaher, Carroll, Kirk, Cordeiro, Dyachenko, Quaranta.

As usual, this is the place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.

By Steve Goff  |  July 15, 2008; 6:35 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: All-Star Roster Announcement
Next: Argentine Trialist With DCU

Comments

Heading out momentarily. See everyone there!

Posted by: Terp | July 15, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

A few years ago my husband insisted we by a Bose 3-2-1 system. I finally figured out why. Tonight we can set the video on Telefutura and set the audio feed on AM radio. How I wish I had taken Spanish instead of French in high school.

(We gave our tickets to our bartender. Always take care of your bartender.)

Posted by: Karen | July 15, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I expect this to be a good game. Atlante had a poor showing and they will want to redeem themselves. DC played well enough to at least draw, but didn't get the result, so hopefully they won't be demorolized. I expect with the support of the home crowd, United win 3 - 1.

Unforunate for both NY and Reyna. They both deserved better as far as I'm concerned. Know who I don't feel sorry for? Coach Osorio (spelling?). He had a nice setup in Chicago, but he had to go to "greener pastures" and now look. Hey, wasn't Reyna one of the main ones barking about getting him to NY in the first place?

Posted by: JC | July 15, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

i wish st louis cable carried telefutra. sadly we only get one spansih channel :(

Posted by: Dont Give Us a Team | July 15, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

sitting at home, still sick from the week-end. blah.

NYRB are doofs. Reyna injury history was - well recent history. Dumb move over dumb move.

7/1 contract guaranteed. bet someone predates retirement!

Posted by: JSF | July 15, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

This is the lineup i wanted to see against chivas, its becoming more and more clear that rod doesn't belong in the starting XI.

Vamos!

Posted by: DudeAbides | July 15, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Rod finally gives way to Moreno as the a-mid?

God be praised!

Posted by: jpeace121 | July 15, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

We must win tonight to ease for the last game against Houston. It would be too much pressure if we aim for draw. And we can't catch off guard period.

Posted by: arlington4united | July 15, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks god the "Dyachenko" experiment is over. Isn't it about time he get the chance to go to another team to grow? Haven't we payed enough of the "player development" dues?

Hopefully, atlante will have as successful a night as they did against Houston.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Are my eyes that bad or is Quaranta really available for tonight's match?

Too bad about Reyna. Another great player (arguably) who came back only to find he had nothing left in the tank. The same fate that's awaiting Brett Favre.

Posted by: Bart | July 15, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

"DCU interest in a right-sided player from Argentina"

Leo Messi???

Posted by: Aaron | July 15, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

It's safe to say everyone this side of Ives thought the Reyna signing was going to be a disaster; and it was.

Good luck in Superliga tonight DC and DC fans. Hope MLS can do even better this year.

Posted by: papa bear | July 15, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

thank goodness dyachenko is not starting. playing Moreno out of position is a much better solution

Posted by: diego r. | July 15, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I think tonight's attandence will b more like 3k

Posted by: td | July 15, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

"DCU interest in a right-sided player from Argentina"

Leo Messi???

Posted by: Aaron | July 15, 2008 7:26 PM
____________________________________________

I would jiz in my pants if that were true

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I know a successful NY team will help the league, but I can't help but love every minute of their misery!

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

"DCU interest in a right-sided player from Argentina"

DCU wants to sign me......again.

Posted by: Matias Donnet | July 15, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

i'm sure dc is interested in leo messi. not as confident that leo messi would be interested in joining MLS. but there are some other argentine soccer players in town at the moment... coincidence? i hope not.

Posted by: cavemandave | July 15, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

What's up with the picture on Telefutura? I think I'm going to get motion sick before the half

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | July 15, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

That's twice in the first 3 minutes that Gonzo and Moreno weren't on the same page - hope they find the groove...

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Apparently FIOS does not carry Telefutura.

Posted by: FC | July 15, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

For those that can't see the game, Vilar's in his glorious 80's style striped keeper jersey again.

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Anybody have a prediction for what the Saturday match against Houston is gonna be like sales wise?

I am visiting DC at long last and my parents and I want to go to RFK. Straight from BWI. Might be my worst idea ever.

Posted by: Colm | July 15, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

My brilliant plan is not working as the tv must be on a two or three second delay behind the radio coverage. It's like seeing instant replay before you see the play. Time for Fairfax County adult education Spanish course!

Posted by: Karen | July 15, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Atalanta pass right down the middle for a break away goal.

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

===========
cavemandave,
I actually would not be suprised if there would be some speculation with BOCA players. Who knows what'll happen. I Like this young player for them... Neri Cardozo.
I'm quite excited about what goff digs up about this lad.

VAMOS UNITED

Posted by: Fisty | July 15, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

What is DCU defense doing? They looked like a high school team on that goal. The offense goes forward and then backward again. No attacking prowess, no tackling on defense, this team looks overmatched. I hope I'm wrong, and I'll watch the whole game, but disappointing start to say the least.

Posted by: dug2008 | July 15, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

We're giving the ball away too cheaply all over the field... Burch was lucky that miserable pass didn't result in another goal.

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

fisty- no doubt cardozo would be awesome. but he's worth a pretty penny to boca. for sure europe if not mexico. they pay good transfer fees in mexico, not sure mls wood. BUT he would be the sh!t.

Posted by: frank from sf | July 15, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

There we go!!!

Posted by: dug2008 | July 15, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

gooooaaaaallll!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Stunning one-touch cross from the former miner-in-the-making!

Posted by: speculation | July 15, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

It's official, MLSnet matchtracker bites. They are about 5-10 minutes behind the Insider on goal reports.

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone point me to a internet stream "other than Univision.com"....pleeeeeease :)

Posted by: another Ron | July 15, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Thompson is definately coming along nicely!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Didn't they stream all of the games live on the Superliga website last year?

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Just checked the Superliga site and it's being streamed in English right now:

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

go to the dcunited website. They have a video link there.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

HUGE thanks....found it....Lord bless ya ;)

Posted by: another Ron | July 15, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Defense is terrible! 2-1

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

WFED online

Posted by: RadioGuy | July 15, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

DC needs a pair of good central defenders more than we need a great keeper. Both these goals are not Zach's fault.

Posted by: Bart | July 15, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

McTavish and Burch just aren't getting it done. Just not enough experience between them. Where the heck is Peralta btw?

Posted by: Bart | July 15, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

goal for the bad guys just before half. Defense got caught up and paid the price.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Nobody wants to defend

Posted by: CH | July 15, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

yeah, this Burch & McTavish thing? not really working right now.

Posted by: stairs | July 15, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow...Burch looks absolutely awful. His free kicks are waaay off the mark. He looks slow and indecisive. And twice he's misjudged badly while lunging (gone to the ground) at the ball. He's then found himself well out of position - leading to both goals. It's incredible but United really misses Gonzalo in the back.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

This is nice -- Limarzi's PxP on MLSnet's video stream. (Plus I'm watching the baseball All Star Game on the tube...)

DCU's offense looks pretty good -- the defense is slacking though.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 15, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Puke. McTavish and Burch look like a Sunday, rec league combo in central defense out there. Terrible, terrible, terrible. As soon as Burch lunged at that one on the second goal, I started saying, 'gee, this looks exactly like Peralta's lunge leading to a goal on Sunday'. Before I could finish the sentence, the ball was in the back of the net.

Puke. I think we'll score another. But the McTavish-Burch combo will undoubtedly lose this game. They make us look bush league, which is a shame because we're doing lots of things well.

Posted by: Reston, Va. | July 15, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

United are really having a tough time maintaining their shape without Gallardo in the middle. Their attack has also lost its unpredictability - has become stagnant. They've clearly had the better of the play but without the midfield general United continues to give up far too much space between Moreno (playing more like a withdrawn forward really)and Simms. Atlante has used this to counterattack dangerously each time United lose possession. Oh, and I agree that McTavish and especially Burch look lost out there. They should NOT be together in the back.

Posted by: spider | July 15, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bart | July 15, 2008 8:49 PM

I'm no Mark Simpson, but I do believe Wells was several yards out of position on the second goal. The ball rolled right through the center of the goal!

Posted by: Glaucon | July 15, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't fault Wells for the goals, they were the result of shambolic defending. Even so, his play hasn't inspired a lot of confidence. I can only hope the right-side player from Argentina is actually a goalie.

Then we can trade wells for a 2020 supplemental draft pick and then see if any MLS teams have a serviceable CB for trade.

Posted by: noptov52 | July 15, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glaucon | July 15, 2008 9:03 PM

Looked to me like he was trying to take away the near post, which is what he should do, and the shot went past him toward the far post. He might have been leaning near post as well, which perhaps he shouldn't have been doing, but the defending in front of him was simple terrible.

Posted by: Dave | July 15, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Great shot but how can we let them have that much space at the top of the box?? 3-1

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Damn

Posted by: kix | July 15, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Wells caught cheating for about the 20th time this season. Fire Simpson and fire Wells. Please, Thorpe Saturday. He can't be worse.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Could we suck much more if we tried? Wow 3-1 to a team Houston beat 4-0? Wow!

Posted by: Bart | July 15, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Don't blame Wells for that one. Namoff was strolling around the defense and let the Atlante player miles of space. I swear these United players do not know how to close down spaces in the open field. A good coach would let them know this. Wasn't Soehn a defender once?

Posted by: bristol | July 15, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I am so tired of letting in soft goals. What's up with the slides at midfield by our outside or center backs?

The same crappy d let in a breakaway against Chivas.

and as I type, it's now 3-1 . . cash it in Soehn, take out the important starters, game over

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko is in...this game is over.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 15, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

someone tell Burch that his free kicks have no bend. They have power and they end up in the rafters. His service into the penalty area is diabolical

Posted by: bristol | July 15, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Nice Aussie rule football tackle Rod.

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

dyachenko, what kind of foul was that? almost a goal from a free kick!

Posted by: frank from sf | July 15, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree, baring a miracle, this game is over. Or will get worse? DC plain sucks and it's the ineffectual marking starting from the midfield and ending up in the back line that causing us to let in all these cheap goals. Nothing wrong with conceding a spectacular goal but all these cheap goals have to be worrying.

Posted by: Bart | July 15, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

damn!, you guys need gallardo!!!!

Posted by: frank from sf | July 15, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

We obviously have no desire to win this, get Fred, Emilio, Moreno out!!!

Posted by: Soehn, wake up | July 15, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

If you want to feel better, check out Goff's post RE the Argentine. (It's updated.)

Posted by: kix | July 15, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

depressing

Posted by: dug2008 | July 15, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

At this rate, let's put it this way, we had better win the USOC if we want to win anything this year.

This hurts to watch.

Posted by: Kosh | July 15, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

At least we can blame this on preseason form...

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

"If RBNY gets to use that DP again this year it's a joke. Though given the league's insistence on catering to all things NY & LA I don't see why they won't allow it and give them $900K in allocations as well for the hell of it."

Why? Just like a foreign player slot, or a development slot, the designated player slot is now open. There are legitimate points to make, such as if MLS will give full credit for the $400k salary cap hit to RBNY instead of pro-rating the salary, but your pre-emptive accusation of league manipulation makes you look like an idiot.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 15, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Worst United team EVER.

Worst goalkeeper in the northern hemisphere (yes, even the Barbados keeper could sign for our club)

Worst defensive performance (acres of space allowed by everyone except Martinez)

Worst passing display in the final third (Dyachenko, Fred, Doe)

Worst ball-control by everyone.

Worst youth team prospects ever. I can't believe our youth team has no one in the pipeline. Why did we sell Arguez? For a dwarf we sent back to Buenos Aires?

Fire Tom Soehn.

Posted by: bristol | July 15, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Dyachenko take some free kicks.

Posted by: Garret | July 15, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Not a thrilling result for DCU so far ... but I'm glad I get to watch DCU play ... albeit on the 'Net.

Posted by: United fan in TN | July 15, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey thanks to Marksman for the tip on the live feed in the last thread.
The dish network these folks have is lacking in the proper spanish speaking channels...
The good news is that I can catch the Le Tour on a big screen in HD nice and early, before the rest of the fam is up!
Loving the Pacific time zone!
Peas Ya'll

Posted by: dadryan | July 15, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Do we have to play Houston? Can we lay the king down and resign? I just have the whole France 98 deja vu thing.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 15, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

"...but your pre-emptive accusation of league manipulation makes you look like an idiot."

Actually, I thought it was spot on.

Posted by: JD | July 15, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Single-entity format... we can just trade a few guys to Houston for the next round to be sure that an MLS team wins this thing - though I'm not sure who they'd want from our roster at this point.

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I AM THE WORST FREE-KICK TAKER IN THE WORLD

Posted by: Fred | July 15, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Wow! That was a hell of a free kick by Fred!

Posted by: dug2008 | July 15, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Expecting the league to do things in a transparent and unbiased way is more irrational.

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I really hope this is a form of protest for having to share only 15% of the prize money. 'cos this is just BAD.

Posted by: Bart | July 15, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Worst United team EVER

Posted by: bristol | July 15, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

And why do you think it was spot on, that a team not be allowed to use a slot it fairly acquired, paying the player with its own money, after that player retired entirely from soccer? What if DC weren't allowed to fill Niell's foreign slot, after they cut him?

To not allow NY to fill the DP slot, as long as they met stated salary cap rules, would be unfair. If that happens, any talk about how the league favors NY would be exposed as a lie (though after Sunil gave Tab Ramos a maximum salary contract over the team's objections, you would think people would have realized it was nonsense anyhow).

But fake outrage from rival fans and unsubstantiated charged allegations of league favoritism is par for the course form the pettiest corners of the league.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 15, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I have no love for Dyachenko and have had my share of digs at his expense from time to time, but in all seriousness I cannot fathom how...HOW we paid anything for this guy. Are we sure that DC was not BRIBED to pick up Rod?

ike a disgusting ever-lingering fart, this dude has mad staying power too. How he can be actively employed while the likes of Martino go MIA is a pure mystery to me.

Posted by: Kosh | July 15, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Who is coaching this team - Steve Sampson? I mean I have never seen a more poorly managed squad.

Posted by: bristol | July 15, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

You can't deny that rules have been bent for LA and NY through the years... too bad the MetroBulls haven't done better than winning La Manga Cup '04.

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

GOLAZO!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

GOAL! Emilio pass from Moreno!

Posted by: United fan in TN | July 15, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

OK, so Emilio is pulling his weight too

Nice goal

Posted by: bristol | July 15, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Not surprisingly, DCU has no players at the All Star game. In spite of that, they do miss Gallardo. He could have changed the game's dynamics in midfield. Can't compare Atlante's game in Houston. Dynamo can be very stifling on defense, but they are very susceptible to multiple goals when they fall behind.
On the third goal, many MLS defenders get used to mediocrity, and they fail to close the space because even with ample room, most MLS strikers score on shots like that on, say, 20% of tries (generous). Most other good leagues, strikers may put away 30% when given that much space to set up the vicious curling shot.
Oh, oh, nice finish by Emilio!

Posted by: Lassiter | July 15, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

"You can't deny that rules have been bent for LA and NY through the years..."

Great goal, by the way.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 15, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Awsome pass by Moreno. Awsome goal by Emilio. Did anyone notice Fred was in a complete, total and NEEDLESS offside position?

Posted by: Hmmm | July 15, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Moreno abused that guy on the goal.
Nice turn by Emilio, too.

Posted by: marksman | July 15, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Have some faith folks!!!!!!
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Posted by: Dadryan | July 15, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I shouldn't have had that last bit of feijoada at the Brazilian BBQ. Someone put me out of my misery.

Posted by: Fred | July 15, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I used to be a fan of Fred. Not tonight.

Posted by: Hmmmmm | July 15, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Go back to Australia's A-League, Fred.

Posted by: bristol | July 15, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Nice goal by Emilio, sweet set-up by Jaime.

What's the deal with Fred? He is a mockery of the shadow of what he used to be. Maybe he needs some bench time.

Posted by: Kosh | July 15, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Slow time now from Atlante.

Posted by: dug2008 | July 15, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Fred has struggled badly.

Posted by: TheCoreSpeaks | July 15, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

"Okay, let's hear examples of how the rules were bent for NY. Events and dates, please."

Here's one:

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Cheers MJ!

Posted by: dadryan | July 15, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the Niell vs. Reyna argument be kinda weak since Niell was cut before 7/1 and Reyna left after 7/1? Again, I may be wrong.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

worst United team EVER

Posted by: bristol | July 15, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

MK, Michael Lewis was incorrect about that.

From the Collective Bargaining Agreement:

(vi) "Contract Guarantee Date" means the date on or after which a Semi-
Guaranteed Contract may not be terminated by MLS for the reasons set forth in Section 18.7
of this CBA. Unless otherwise agreed between a Player and MLS, the Contract Guarantee
Date shall be July 1; provided, however, if agreed to by the Player, MLS may extend the
Player's Contract Guarantee Date, for twice the number of Players as there are Teams in the
League in each League Season (e.g., if there are ten Teams in the League, MLS may extend
the Contract Guarantee date for up to twenty (20) Players).

Look on page 5.

So your first example of the league bending the rules for NY was wrong. Do you have any actual instances? Or do you get a free pass to make things up?

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 15, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I guess we'll be seeing the reserves against Houston.

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Robert Wagman is one of the worst informed writers in MLS history. He had a history of making spurious allegations, and has disappeared into deserved oblivion/obscurity. One eight year old Wagman column is NOT a legitimate source.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 15, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow, garbage game.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

someone take Fred out back and shoot him like the lame horse that he is.

Posted by: jockey | July 15, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

And there is the difference - their keeper makes a stunning save....ours, a stunning mistake.

Posted by: marksman | July 15, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure I gave you three reasons... and your NY writer wrote the article big guy. Check the other one I posted (from the New York Times - I think those are your guys too) and the Soccer Times.

Posted by: MK | July 15, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Well that sucks

Posted by: Himes | July 15, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

pathetic display..why even bather to show up?

Posted by: bobf | July 15, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

BEAUTIFUL goal by Emilio, but -- AS ALWAYS, seemingly -- not enough. I'm so sick of it.

Posted by: Andy | July 15, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Worst United performance EVER.

Seriously, aside from the foreigners (excluding Fred), what American player on this team can hold his head high?

Posted by: bristol | July 15, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

DC played awful...but still deserved the win. Atlante's individual players are obviously very technically gifted but man are they a bad team. Having said that, they still beat DC. Terrible game. I also blame this one on Soehn for starting flat out the wrong players in the wrong spots. This became abundantly clear over the final 30 minutes of the game.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

The Gaven substitution was in keeping with the letter of the rules, and there were multiple previous instances of a keeper substitution being used for an outfield player. So you're wrong about it being outside the rules. Futhermore, since the discussion is about INSTANCES WHERE THE LEAGUE BENT THE RULES FOR NY, how on earth was the league so brilliant as to forsee an instance when NY would need that rule for a mid-season game SEVEN YEARS in advance, when the rule was devised?

That's a pathetic and misleading fake example. The only difference between NY and other teams was that NY scored against DC using the same loophole in the rule, and the league smartly brought its sub rules in line with the generally accepted international standard.

So that's neither a league manipulation, NOR something that NY benefited from solely or even first.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 15, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I hope Houston can get a result against Chivas tonight to ensure passage out of the group stage. I can see DC beating Houston next week with Gallardo and Gonzalo back in the lineup - possibly shutting MLS sides from Group A out of the knockout stages when Chivas plays their reserve team against Atlante. Ugh

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

someone take Fred out back and shoot him like the lame horse that he is.

Posted by: jockey | July 15, 2008 9:56 PM
==========================================

On the basis of a single performance? Or did you just start following DCU two hours ago?

Posted by: tri-village | July 15, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

well, on the bright side, the lights stayed on for the full 90 minutes.

got to stay positive....

Posted by: stairs | July 15, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

That was brutal and UGLY. Fred's crosses and free kicks look like Jr. High !! Defense starts in the mid-field. Our offense looked impotent. How many times was the ball in their box and no one there to capitalize!! That was AWFUL !!

Posted by: Mike | July 15, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

So when we crash out of Superliga, do we come back to league play with the "we just got dumped again blues" resulting in another 7 game frack-up streak?

We are hurting, but man who picked that bench? What a bunch of posers.

So, do we have the confidence that Soehn knows how to win a trophy? I guess the USOC (our ONLY shot this year) will be the ultimate measuring stick.

Tonight blew something monumental. How bad was it? So bad that fans started picking fights with our resident RedBull fan, MJ. Me? I'm going to write this one off (the whole tourney that is) and hope that we get some talent on this team - that right-sided mid and 2 goalies will do. For now.

Posted by: Kosh | July 15, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about super Liga!
Fred's baby is probably just colichy...
Maybe he's not getting enough sleep.
Seriously though, it looks as if our sl hopes are dashed, so I hope we see:
1.A skeleton team of reserves and guys trying to get fit vs houston in the sl match.
2.Everyone getting rested and happy.
3.The ultra bad donkey starting eleven on the 22nd!
United has a lot of road games in August and what I see as a pretty good chance at winning the Open Cup.
Vamos United!
Hey what ever happened with the Blanco situation? Is it under the rug?

Posted by: Dadryan | July 15, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

The United game tonight really fleshes out the problem with the DP rule. When teams need to allocate $400,000 towards a cap of $2.15 million for one impact player - they're forced to fill out their rosters with role players such as Burch or McTavish. Sorry to pick on you guys but you're just not technically there yet. The hope obviously is that the DP will be available for important matches but when they go down, you're left with a makeshift lineup that has some real soft spots. The league really should have raised the salary cap an extra $400,000 along with the DP to allow the addition of impact players (in the seats as well as on the field) without adversely affecting the depth of the existing player pool. Until this is addressed, I don't think the league is ever going to perform on the international level. I am a bit bitter right now though.

Posted by: spider | July 15, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I re-read the Wagman column. I'm not sure you did.

His description of the Sorber waiver issue is simply a description of the way MLS has ALWAYS handled player waivers. Breaking news: it's not the same as other sports leagues, and moreover, that waiver system has hurt NY on multiple occasions (look at the Chris Karcz thing last year). It was simply wrong for Wagman to present that as a special case, when it was entirely consistent with the way MLS worked.

The dispersal draft is a more credible case, but note that LA was more than willing to part with those players to obtain Hernandez, and New England received a player as well. It should be pointed out that the contraction draft the next year was structured in a way that totally rebuilt New England's squad, and that the year before, MLS told NY in the offseason that they would have to get rid of Savarese, Meola, and Lalas to obtain Matthaeus. It was the exact same thing as the dispersal draft, but it wasn't called a dispersal draft, and that was why NY was awful in 1999.

The only example I can come up with of obvious league favoritism was the nonsense in the 1997 season, when Carlos Alberto Parreira was able to jettison his injured Brazilians with no salary cap hit. Of course, DC got a do-over the year before when Juan Berthy Suarez didn't work out, and the league splashed out for Moreno's transfer fee in July or August. So the ugliness of early MLS was all over the place.

To make the charge that MLS is gaming the system to benefit NY has zero correspondence to reality. I'm challenging you to back it up. You can't, can you? So take back your statement.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 15, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention the SS and the MLS cup.
No I am not drunk... yet.
The sky isn't falling folks, and our beloved United will be alright.
There is obviously not enough incentive for our guys to get it together for these matches, I know the extracurricular play is fun to watch, but honestly,if the boys aren't getting paid to bust their butts in Tournaments that even less Americans know about than the "playoffs" it would be selfish and foolish to insist that they excel there.
Screw Super Liga!
Vamos United!

Posted by: Dadryan | July 15, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

WHOAH there - let's not start talking DPs and salary caps in this thread. there's plenty of that s*%# over on BigSoccer. Terrible loss though - the guys heads just were not in it tonight.

Posted by: Cichero | July 15, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

"I'm pretty sure I gave you three reasons... and your NY writer wrote the article big guy. Check the other one I posted (from the New York Times - I think those are your guys too) and the Soccer Times"

One was incorrect, and I shot it down.

The second had nothing to do with the league manipulating the rules for NY-- it had to do with NY being the second or third team to follow the letter but not the spirit of a substitution rule.

The third was an eight year old opinion column in which the author did not seem to have any idea how the MLS waiver system worked.

So you're zero for three. You've got nothing, MK.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 15, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Over or Under: 6,000 in attendance for D.C.'s next match.

Posted by: Glaucon | July 15, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Chivas is laying the pressure on Houston...

Posted by: Anonymous | July 15, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

I felt bad for Emilio and Doe tonight. The service was excruciating. Doe had one chance and converted. Emilio's goal was a beauty. Besides that, they got nothing. Crosses were bush league. Weak floaters either (1) right to the Atlante keep or (2) over everyone's heads and into touch.

And, Burch. Wow. Terrible. We at least draw, and perhaps win 2-1, if we went with 10 men from the start, leaving Burch on the bench. Dead serious. He played central defense like he was on the outside. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Soehn should accept lots of blame for that. But Burch should never see the center of the field again. If Peralta's out, put Namoff there, or just go with three in the back. Just never, ever, put Burch back there again. Outside or bust.

Dyachenko. What does he do besides kill attacks? What a step down from Gallardo to Dyachenko.

Lastly, it was pitiful watching us lose so many 50/50 balls. We looked potent, but played meekly, and Burch's poor play gave the game away.

I won't fault Wells on the first two goals, but the third...that wasn't a particularly potent shot, but beat Wells who was too far off his line. He's not a particularly smart keeper, and he doesn't have the shot-stopping ability that Perkins or even Rimando had. That's a bad combination.

This is far from the worst United team ever. But this defense sure is down there. Awful.

Posted by: Reston, Va. | July 15, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Consolation for you guys: the Superliga is a bad joke, and should be retired after this year. There's virtually no difference between this and any other set of friendlies, just some pocket change prize money and a nice shiny doorstop.

The real test is the CONCACAF Champion's League, and I expect DC will put on a better show for a real competition.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 15, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

HA...yeah sorry about that. Don't mean to open that can of worms. But I do feel it's a valid point. Let's go Houston!

Posted by: spider | July 15, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Can we cancel the Saturday match against Houston? I would hope the reserves start.

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I believe there is a sliver of a mathematical chance that DCU could finish second in this group and advance. Has anyone worked it out? It would involve the Goats sweeping the series, DCU beating Houston, and a couple of other things.

Posted by: tri-village | July 15, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

This is definitely NOT the worst United team ever...if you're referring to the regular starting 11. However, in terms of depth, this is probably the weakest team I can recall. I agree that the DP and low cap is part of the problem - but some of this has to be poor scouting. Hopefully the youth academies help shore up the bench in years down the road.

Posted by: red | July 15, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

So you're zero for three. You've got nothing, MK.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 15, 2008 10:16 PM
=========================================

Agreed.

Posted by: tri-village | July 15, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Mastodon's the only dude I know that even attempts to defend MLS rules. We all know they are laughable and change like the wind . . .

Posted by: delantero | July 15, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

You know we are desperate and have no depth when Dyanchenko is subbed IN!. Nice to see a combination play between Thompson and Doe, but then again this is the Super Liga - Gallardo is laughing all the way to the bank. Did we have any defenders on the right side? The Houston game(s) will be painful to watch.

Posted by: ML | July 15, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Half: Houston 0-0 Guadalajara.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 15, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

DC officially sucks now. The team that Houston beat by 4-0 beat us by 3-2 and two really easy goals. Terrible defense. The third goal I think was Wells fault, he was too off position again. The first two goals thye were totally defense fault.
I thought Thomson was playing good. He really does have so much hussle but the other players didn't pass the ball to him. And guess what the first was came from him. Yet the coah sub him. Some times I really think couch doesn't really know too much. I don't believe Tino was completely recovered yet the coach brought him and at the end he had some bad tackle and felt the pain.
Not bring let me talk about D'Chenkco. He didn't bring anything tonight. Next Saturday game is meaningless and if Houston holds draw tonight United might as well let Houston win so at least an MLS team is in the final. Can't match fixed though.
There were not many Atlanta fans though tonight.

Posted by: td | July 15, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Step back from the edge of the cliff.
It's the freaking Superliga.
Who cares?
I'm disappointed we had as many starters in the lineup as we did.
We should definitely throw as many reserves as possible at Houston, with instructions to hack the hell out of them a'la Chicago.

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 15, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I think the rules are set in toothpaste, but my point is that the conventional wisdom that states "the league bends over backwards to help NY" is a deliberate, self-serving lie.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 15, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

The team is clearly exhausted. And it's not going to get any easier as the season wears on. There was no energy from the very first kick of the game.

Burch was terrible. Namoff has had two subpar games in a row now. Dyachenko is still useless. He's just a battering ram with no heart or speed.

If Soehn plays anything other than the reserve team on Saturday he should be fired on the spot. Time to rest guys for the league match Tuesday. "SuperLiga" is obviously over.

Posted by: Glenn | July 15, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain why Fred is a professional soccer player?

Posted by: GoUnited | July 15, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't really get all the piling on Fred. There was plenty of crap performances out there by most of the team tonight.

Posted by: Glenn | July 15, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glenn | July 15, 2008 11:45 PM

I have always thought that Fred sucked.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 15, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to all the people who posted before the superliga began about how unimportant this tournament was. It looks like the players agreed and played like ----. I hope you all are happy, this is the biggest reason why Us teams will take time to go to the next level, because the dont play for what really matters PRIDE, PAssion and the shirt. I was at the game tonight going all 90 minutes while shome ---- played with our jerseys on and played like high schoolers.

Posted by: dc fan | July 15, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

i agree dc fan

Posted by: chris D | July 16, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

quote of the night.

Dyachenko is in...this game is over.

Posted by: Castroviejo | July 16, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

bristol:

The only way this is the worst United team ever is if existence only began within the last 4 years. 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 were all miles worse in every category (save for colorful quotes to the media by the coach).

Seriously, I can see being upset, but calling this the worst United team ever is flat-out ignorant.

Kosh:

How is the Open Cup our only shot at a trophy? Let's not forget that DC is on a 4 game MLS winning streak, and are unbeaten in 6. The only competition I don't see us having a legitimate chance of winning is the Superliga, and that's because so many things will have to fall in place for us to even advance out of the group.

***

Unlike the Chivas game, where I feel we were very unlucky on many occasions, I think we were just too easy to beat tonight. Atlante didn't particularly impress me, frankly (aside from the 3rd goal, which no matter how desperate some people are to blame on Wells was primarly a flash of brilliance from Bermudez...give credit where it's due). All it took to open us up down the middle was two or three quick passes.

Someone else mentioned it before, and I agree wholeheartedly: We need a quality center back more than we need another keeper. I really think there are DCU fans that blame Wells for bad weather, Metro delays, and the price of gas. I am far from saying he's a good keeper, but he's also not to blame for every goal that goes in. We hang him out to dry far too often. McTavish, lest we forget, was a right back in college and is playing out of position in the middle. Burch was a striker and still has learning to do at left back...he gave a good account of himself at CB against Chicago in the Open Cup, but there's a big difference between facing Carr and facing Rey.

What we saw tonight is that a mix of our first team and reserves isn't good enough to beat a recent Mexican league champion. If that's news to you, then I feel bad for you and those that know you.

Then again, I'm of the boneheaded type of person that watched the end of the Chivas-Houston game hoping for a Chivas win so DC still has a chance. I guess that's my particular cross to bear.

The things that worry me right now are the following:

- No mention of new CB anywhere. This is our most desperate need.
- Fred's form over the past few games. He just seems to have lost the incisive quality that got him 7 goals and 7 assists from June on last season. Last year in the Superliga, he was a big threat; this year, he seems like a shadow of himself.
- The fact that our best back up plan for Gallardo is moving Moreno back.

Ultimately, until we get a high-quality center back, this team will go as far as its offense takes it. This isn't a revelation. It also doesn't rule us out of winning some silverware this year, since our offense is currently as good as any in MLS, and we all know how the playoffs go.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 16, 2008 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Wells not at fault on the first two goals. The third would have been a difficult save but you need your keeper to make those to keep you in the game.

This is NOT the worst DCU team ever. That is nonsense. This is a pretty good DCU team but one clearly lacking at a couple positions and lacks depth. If you want to find some truly bad DCU teams, go back to 2000 or so.

Fred is a good player, one of the best on the team, and one of the better midfielders in MLS. He has been a key part of our ascent up the MLS East table. Saying he "stinks" is just utter, indefensible gobbledygook. That said, clearly he did not have it last night. He looked gassed from the get-go, and out of sorts throughout the game. My guess is he has a bug or maybe the baby is colicky.

The service to our forwards was bad. Looked like early season.

I might have been too harsh on Doe. I thought last game he was the second coming of Kpene, and he is in terms of his propensity to dribble straight into five defenders and lose the ball, but tonight he showed that my harsh assessment might have been premature. His timing was good on the goal, and he showed some menace in the box.

I'll say it again. DCU and MLS do not have the resources to go deep in these inter league cups (other than maybe the USOC, since MLS is the highest league involved in the USOC). But no MLS team is going anywhere in the Superligas of the world. We do not have the roster depth. For MLS teams, DCU included, these tournaments are exercises in futility, especially in light of the fact that there is no incentive for the players.

Posted by: Ron | July 16, 2008 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Finally got to watch a game on tv (not the stupid web). DC was just slower in thought over and over again. Then there were the poor passes, poor traps, poor... ARGH. Simms, if he could learn to halve the distance that ball travels after he traps it, would be on the USMNT. He was the only mildly-bright spot I though.

Posted by: PoorDCU | July 16, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Fire Tom Soehn

This is the worst United team EVER.

Posted by: bristol | July 16, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse