Morning Kickaround

*Click here to read the story about the power outage at Estadio RFK yesterday. So far this year, we've had rain, thunder, lightning, power issues, malfunctioning lights, pitch-eating fungus, stray cats roaming the tunnels and famine (have you visited concessions lately?). Tonight: a visit from the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

*Toronto FC manages only a 1-1 tie at home, meaning the USL1's Montreal Impact will represent Canada in the inaugural CONCACAF Champions League next month. Just another reason for MLS to expand to Montreal.....

*Lionel Messi awaits a possible compromise on Olympic participation.

*Congrats to USA women's veteran Kristine Lilly, who gave birth to her first child yesterday. Details to come.

*Join me for a live online chat on washingtonpost.com at 2 p.m. today. To submit questions, follow the action or read the transcript later, please click here.

By Steve Goff  |  July 23, 2008; 8:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Northern Rock
Next: International Friendlies at RFK

Comments

they had the stadium lights on at rfk as i rode past on the train this morning.

let's see if it lasts.

Posted by: stairs | July 23, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Quick.

Get the FSM to touch the injured players with those noodly appendages.

And the power lines, too.

Posted by: LD | July 23, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Be you Religious or not, you have gotta see that some higher power, a higher being, SOMETHING is well beyond convinced that DCU should no longer be in RFK. Yikes!

TFC, wow!! That has got to be embarrassing. But I would not laugh just yet, because if you think the Sounders were up for the fight this year then this little incident up North will really stoke the fire under their USOC ambitions. Maybe, just maybe, embarrassments like these will force MLS teams to really take this cup seriously (I mean if international play is not enough incentive).

Posted by: Kosh | July 23, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

And lo, as Dyachenko was touched by His Noodly Appendage, he gained the ability to cleanly tackle and touch, thusly providing DC United with goals more plentiful for than against.

Ramen.

Posted by: B.A. | July 23, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps some more pirates in this town would quell the heat wave that's been raging for the last week...

Posted by: The AMT | July 23, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Goff -

Is the game going to be on CSN?

Posted by: wags | July 23, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget the 80% chance of T-Storms currently in the forecast. This game is cursed! Cursed I tells yah!

Posted by: willmmmm | July 23, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I'll let TFC live this one down.

Posted by: RK | July 23, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I see the game listed on Direct Kick. Isn't Direct Kick blacked out in the home area?

Posted by: JohnT | July 23, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't everything blacked out in the home area last night? :)

Posted by: RK | July 23, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I think Steve Goff blacked out last night, sometime between "Skateaway" and "Romeo and Juliet."

Glad you enjoyed the concert, Steve. Knopfler is outstanding.

Would I take him over Alex Lifeson? Not sure...

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 23, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Goff--

No mention of the power issues during the Chivas game during the SuperLiga??? These issues have occurred more recently than the KC game!

Posted by: HarkesyRules | July 23, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

And the worst of all, my last RFK beer was warm . . .

And that last time I bought a beer I had to teach the person how to pour "No, no, you have to angle the cup slightly against the tap and pull the handle all the way."

""*Click here to read the story about the power outage at Estadio RFK yesterday. So far this year, we've had rain, thunder, lightning, power issues, malfunctioning lights, pitch-eating fungus, stray cats roaming the tunnels and famine (have you visited concessions lately?)""

Posted by: delantero | July 23, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Josh Childress is the new David Beckham. Discuss.

Posted by: RK | July 23, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

If the Flying Spaghetti Monster shows up tonight, can we put him in goal instead of Wells?

Posted by: SSMD | July 23, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I think diseased livestock or boils is up next, not the Spaghetti Monster. I've kind of lost count at this point, though.

Posted by: H | July 23, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

How about boiled livestock?

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 23, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Goff, are you heading up north to BMO? I want to hear first-hand reporting! cheers.

Posted by: Paul | July 23, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

RE; Toronto. Let's not forget that in it's 3rd year of existence, an MLS team (the CRapids) lost to Rochester in the USOC.

HA HA HA! The ONLY MLS team to lose in teh USOC final.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 23, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

No all-star game for me. A waste of precious travel money.

Posted by: Goff | July 23, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Those great Toronto fans -- I wonder if they dressed in black? -- showered TFC with boos, bottles and trash...

Posted by: RK | July 23, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

First Knopfler and now FSM? I'm bonding with this blog even more than usual!

Posted by: rke | July 23, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Any truth that due to an unfit stadium and electricity malfunction issues, FIFA will now award the 2010 World Cup to Washington, D.C.?

Posted by: AM | July 23, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

To add insult to injury -- Montreal is 2nd-to-last in USL.

Posted by: RK | July 23, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

No all-star game for me. A waste of precious travel money.

Posted by: Goff | July 23, 2008 10:21 AM
**************

Amen.

Just sayin'....

Posted by: PotomacBoater | July 23, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
Any word or insight as to the presence of Derosario tonight at RFK? Did he have to depart today or last night for the uber important all star game for a team practice, etc...?

Posted by: WC | July 23, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Would I take him over Alex Lifeson? Not sure...

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 23, 2008 9:26 AM
================

I would take Knopfler over Lifeson in a hemi-demi-semi-quaver. Knopfler's frustratingly smooth finger-picking style (i.e. frustrating for everyone who's ever tried to emulate him) and his song writing put him headstock and shoulders above Lifeson.

I highly recommend the Knopfler-Atkins duet CD "Neck and Neck."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 23, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Goff, are you teasing us? Will the great Flying Spaghetti Monster be at Estadio RFK, ready to receive our worship and tokens of our fealty?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 23, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnT | July 23, 2008 9:21 AM
======
Only when the game is on CSN.

Posted by: td | July 23, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

No all-star game for me. A waste of precious travel money.
Posted by: Goff | July 23, 2008 10:21 AM
===
100% agree.

Posted by: td | July 23, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

No all-star game for me. A waste of precious travel money.

Posted by: Goff | July 23, 2008 10:21 AM
=============

Just wait until the All Star game is played in Montreal. You'll change your tune :-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 23, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

==========================================

But it's not as if Toronto's not a great place to visit, too, eh?

Posted by: tri-village | July 23, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WC | July 23, 2008 11:00 AM
========================

The official Dynamo blog has posted that De Rosario is expected to play tonight. Their words exactly are, "We can assure you, however, that All-Stars Pat Onstad and Dwayne De Rosario and Olympians Stuart Holden and Patrick Ianni are expected to play for the Dynamo Wednesday and join their other teams Thursday."

It will be all the more enjoyable to beat them at full-strength! ...if we can keep the lights on and the lightning off tonight.

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | July 23, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse