Morning Kickaround

*By reading my United-Dynamo preview, you will learn that DCU is facing its first four-game home losing streak in its 13-season history. Before flopping in SuperLiga last week, United lost three straight at Estadio RFK in 2000 and 2001. The '01 skid included a 4-3 exhibition loss to Bayer Leverkusen, whose starting lineup that day included -- get this -- Michael Ballack, Dimitar Berbatov, Oliver Neuville, Jens Nowotny, Carsten Ramelow and an American named Frankie Hejduk. Bernd Schneider entered in the second half. (Speaking of Berbatov, there is this.....)

*Here is the game-time weather forecast.

*DCU and Houston aren't the only MLS clubs in action tonight: Toronto must beat USL1 Montreal at BMO to win the Canadian title and advance to the first CONCACAF Champions League. "It's a massive game," said TFC's Carl Robinson. "I catch the train to the stadium for training every day, and the fans are always talking to me about how important it is to win the Canadian Championship. Derby games are life or death to me."

*New York winger Dane Richards is out for at least a month with a hip flexor strain.

*The transcript from injured star Abby Wambach's media conference call is available by clicking here.

*If you're really into Olympic soccer, NBC is offering an Olympic soccer channel on most cable and satellite systems. All 32 men's games and 26 women's matches will be available in their entirety. (Don't expect much coverage of the early rounds on the NBC mothership, though some games will appear on the family of outlets: MSNBC, CNBC, USA, Oxygen and Telemundo.)

*The Washington Freedom finished the W-League regular season atop the Northeast Division with an 11-1-2 record and will face Atlantic Division runner-up Charlotte (11-2-1) on Friday in the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs in Atlanta.

*Join me for another live online chat on washingtonpost.com Wednesday at 2 p.m. Click here to submit questions.

By Steve Goff  |  July 22, 2008; 9:56 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: X Speaks
Next: BREAKING NEWS: United Game Postponed Again

Comments

Good use of the word "putrid" - Goff.

Posted by: Mickey | July 22, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Good for NBC for understanding people want to watch. Give us a channel, and we'll find it.

Posted by: Gianniculus Jones | July 22, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"putrid"?

where?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

"Putrid" - in the by-line on the DC United subpage off the WaPo.com sports page:

Posted by: Mickey | July 22, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Goff - for the original game, Eddie Robinson was suspended for a red card. Why doesn't that suspension apply to this game? That means he only served 15 or 20 minutes of his suspension in a game that doesn't count at all.

The game preview on MLS says Rico Clark is the only suspension for this game.

Posted by: pat | July 22, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Robinson sit out Houston's game following the rainout?

Posted by: Goff | July 22, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Tonight's weather forcast is, well, very similar to June 4. Does the team have a day set aside this fall to reschedule the rescheduled game tonight if it comes to it, or will it play tonight's game at all costs?

Posted by: TCompton | July 22, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Very interesting transcript from Wambach. The look on her face as she called for the trainers, and as she was carted off the field -- I wondered about that too. I am sure I will think of that next time I watch Blanco, Ruiz or others of their ilk flopping around in faux agony.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 22, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to the Freedom on taking the division. Too bad the tournament isn't closer to home.

Can't say Olympic soccer excites me that much to pay for it. Hopefully one of the channels will show the quarterfinals, semis and final in full.

Oxygen Channel is officially banned from the Doc Family television, so that's not an option. If it weren't for FSC and Gol TV, we probably would have tossed the tube years ago...

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 22, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I thought some of the Olympic matches were also going to be on Universal HD. I'll see if I can find the link / blog/ announcement where I saw that.

Is this implying that the Olympic Matches are going to be on a separate, Olympic Pay Channel?

Posted by: JkR | July 22, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

OMG Mr. Doc, that's like so WRONG, about Oxygen I mean. Like I bet u probly block the CW and ANTP and Gossip Girls 2, dontchu? Do u want ur fam 2 b like dorky freaks or whuuut?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 22, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Being Canadian, I am pumped for the Championship final game tonight.

Posted by: Andrew | July 22, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The entire Olympic schedule can be found in PDF form here.

FIOS has an Olympic channel next to the other sports channels. Is that soccer or basketball or what?

Posted by: sitruc | July 22, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

FYI: Verizon Fios added an extra channel somewherer in between FSC (76) and CNN (80) for the Olympics. Last time I looked, they were covering the swimming/diving quals. Maybe some of the footy will be there too.

Soccer is like oxygen.
You get too much, you get too high.
Not enough and you're gonna die.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 22, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

pat and SG:

Robinson did indeed sit out the next match. I was frustrated about the fact that the rain out had given Houston a significant advantage by giving them Robinson instead of Ianni, but now they lose Clark.

On the other hand, we are missing several players from that night. Peralta, Quaranta, and Gallardo were all in from the start, as we were at virtually 100% fitness (save Olsen and J. Carroll).

***

I remember that Leverkusen game. Nowotny seemed dead set on provoking Etcheverry, which eventually lead to both being sent off. Berbatov scored a hat trick, but considering that was a dark time for United, losing 4-3 didn't feel too bad.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 22, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to the entire Olympic TV schedule! A massive 66 pages. Many football matches will be televised on other channels including Telemundo and MSNBC. I seem to remember reading that the Universal HD channel will also have some games. I will need to go through the whole schedule though.

According to this document the Olympic Soccer and Basketball channel will be available on most cable and satellite providers. But it doesn't indicate whether that means as a pay channel or included in your regular service.

I guess I will have to rethink my Olympic boycott.

Posted by: Glenn | July 22, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

There is are 2 FIOS HD channels that are currently labeled as Soccer/Basketball someplace around channel 880.

Posted by: John | July 22, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF, well played!

What is CW and ANTP and Gossip Girls 2, though? (Or is that, "tho"?)

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 22, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

As you're Canadian, Andrew, I wanted you to know that I thoroughly enjoyed the Rush concert at Nissan Saturday night. I was in conservative/libertarian heaven.

"There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the Maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas..."

Of course, since I'm SI's Official Right Wing Nut Job, my favorite line of that song has to be,
"And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw..."

Back to work...

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 22, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Joe Doc, what a stupid analogy on which to base a society.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 22, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

At least I found out why Rush Limbaugh uses such a stupid nickname...

Posted by: garbaggio | July 22, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | July 22, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link, Sitruc.

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 22, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Rush Limbaugh gave a concert?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Abby's all class. Those (male) players who roll around feigning agony, trying to influence referees don't know the first thing about being sportsmen. They are cheating, just as surely as a steroid user.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 22, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Goff: Were any Olympic footballers involved in this local event that was reported on by Liz Clarke?

Quite frankly, I'd be happier if footballers, and all other athletes, didn't let themselves be used as stage props by self-aggrandizing politicians. (I suppose that "self-aggrandizing politicians" is a redundant expression.)

Posted by: tri-village | July 22, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Ladies and Gentlemen, a little help please!

I am in Richmond, VA fretting over missing tonight's game (and the future for that matter, I am moving to this United-less city). Any guidance on a bar with DK or a known radio station broadcasting the game would be extremely appreciated. I already checked with Penny Lane and the brits are a no-go (surprise, surprise).

I'd love to say I feel a shut-out coming tonight, but i would be happy with a tie just to right the ship.

Vamos y Gracias!

Posted by: DudeAbides | July 22, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

DudeAbides: You should be able to access the WFED Internet feed from anywhere:

Posted by: tri-village | July 22, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I'd try to help, but I can't read the rest of your message because there's an annoying ad for a survey sitting on top of it...with no close button.

Posted by: RK | July 22, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF

The irony in your response to Joe Doc is that you once had the attention span to type your full blog name.

@RK: Adblock, my popup-obstructed friend. Adblock.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 22, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

So...does anyone know of a place in Richmond, VA that would be showing the match? In town on business...can't miss game!

thx

Posted by: mcn107 | July 22, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

WTF?

Instead of televising the DC United game tonight, Comcast is showing a World Team Tennis match between the Deleware Smash and the Philadelphia Freedoms?!? Really? Wow, what is up with that?

Posted by: Dsmac | July 22, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else having problems printing their tickets on United's account manager system? I don't ever print them, by my tickets got soaked and ruined in the June 4th downpour.

Posted by: I can't get to my tickets! | July 22, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

i heard that the power is out at the stadium right now and that they might cancel tonight's game.

has anybody else heard that?

Posted by: rumors | July 22, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Whoa that makes sense, considering that their phone lines aren't working, I can get through to customer service via e-mail (which almost always is an immediate response), and that I can't get my tickets on the online account manager.

Posted by: I can't get my tickets! | July 22, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

*can't get through to e-mail

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

yes the power is out at RFK !!!! if this continues the game will be canceled! I will try to update insider nation on this matter shortly!!!!

Posted by: 135 | July 22, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Dsmac, I hear the tickets for tonight's match are a little cheaper than normal, screw watching on TV just go to the game.
I know our favorite goalie rides his single speed to work when Ben won't give him a ride, but you gotta admit there's something cool about Robinson riding the train with the common folk up in Toronto.
Vamos United!
PS Is RFK still credit card unfriendly?
NOt sure if Goff's Wife's review shook things up in there?...
thanks

Posted by: Dadryan | July 22, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

WTF?

Posted by: Dsmac | July 22, 2008 1:38 PM
=========================================

Presumably this event was locked in long before the rescheduling of the DC-Houston game. However, it would have been nice if CSN had made plans to tape the proceedings at Estadio RFK for a delayed broadcast. They could have found a slot in their schedule somewhere.

Posted by: tri-village | July 22, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

You guys inspired me to check around for the game in Richmond but I'm having no luck so far although one bar is calling me back. Unfortunately, I think if Penny Lane isn't even carrying it, no one will be.

I am on the West End so don't know if anyone else in the City or Southside would have better luck.

Posted by: Mary | July 22, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

United wins!!!!!

Posted by: arlinton4united | July 22, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I was looking forward to Goff's online chat all day and was wondering why it was slow getting started. just realized it's tomorrow.

sigh.

Posted by: pat | July 22, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Tri-village,

thanks for the link, unfortunately MLS owns the broadcast and will only allow you to access game audio/video from their own site on the internet. Its a pretty standard practice that all the leagues do; so unless we can access it over the air, it wont be free.

I'll let you all know of any thing i find out, let me know if anyone wants to go in on a DC United bar with me in richmond!

Posted by: DudeAbides | July 22, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

This comes as news to all of us who have been listening to Tony Limarzi on WFED (and earlier, on WMET) and its Web site for years now.

Posted by: tri-village | July 22, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Abby's all class? Rubbish! If she were "all class," then she wouldn't have led (along w/Kristine Lilly) the conspiratorial group lynching (figuratively speaking, of course) of Hope Solo because Solo had the audacity to make a mistake in the heat of the moment under emotional duress.

I'm sure that nobody on this thread has ever done that, right?

Wambach is a nauseating hypocrite. She talks about "team spirit," yet cruelly conspires against a vulnerable teammate. She talks about knowing how to "win a gold medal," yet was clueless about doing that during the WWC.

Note to Wambach and U.S. Soccer: Save your self-promotion for somebody who cares.+

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | July 22, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

DudeAbides! I may not have much more than sweat equity to offer, but I surely could pull beers in such an establishment when it opens!
I know this may sound crazy but my wife and I sometimes daydream about moving down to Richmond...

Posted by: Dadryan | July 22, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Is this power outage still going on? It crossed my mind earlier during the rain (brief though it was out in AA County) that both teams and MLS itself would be pulling their hair out if a rescheduled game had to be rescheduled again. Looking at DC's schedule, the only windows that allow 3 days between games would be the following:

- Any date between 7/26-7/30 (presuming MLS would keep a 2 day window after the all star game, mirroring the 2 day gap they've kept to have the game today)
- Any day between 8/5-8/7
- Either 9/2 or 9/3
- Either 9/9 or 9/10

That's it, unless they want to play it after DC's final CONCACAF Champions League group stage game on 10/29 (which, in turn, would delay the MLS playoffs, making it very unlikely). United can't use the gap between home games against Colorado (8/23) and NY (8/30), because there is every possibility that they'll be playing for the US Open Cup on 8/26.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 22, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"ANTP is sure to be on some network executive's list of future reality shows - America's Next Teenage Pregnancy."

I-270, Exit 1 -- that's hysterical, partly because it's probably true.

Dadryan: You are the only person I know to daydream about moving to Richmond. But I bet cost of living is a bit cheaper than D.C.-metro area.

Remember when Leesburg Soccer Fan predicted RFK's electronics would go south when Volkswagen came aboard as shirt sponsor? Who knew...

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 22, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@ Joseph D'Hippolito -- Whoa dude! You want to cut Solo some slack for her emotional blow-up under duress? How about some slack for teammates who felt betrayed by a teammate who saw an "I" in "team"?

I would agree that the team ought to file away the whole Solo/Scurry affair. It seems the players have done so. Why don't you?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 22, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Goffer - any word on the power outage situation ar RFK? Or are you out in Lot 5 running on one of those hamster treadmill thingys to power up your laptop and the press box? Sources tell me that there was a 2 pm cutoff to make a decision, now postponed to 3 pm.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | July 22, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

if the game is cancelled for a power outage, they should just decide that there is some sort of crazy voodoo hex on the fixture and make the reasonable decision to split the points.

i'm planning on going to the game, so i hope it's not cancelled.

Posted by: stairs | July 22, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

the game has been canceled

Posted by: lili | July 22, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

oh snap, it's been postponed until tomorrow. unless a plague of locusts or rain of frogs prompts further delays.

Posted by: stairs | July 22, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

DCU vs. Houston postponed (again!)
07/22/2008 3:09 PM by Kyle Sheldon

You're not going to believe this, but tonight's match versus the Houston Dynamo has been postponed due to power outages at RFK Stadium. The match will take place tomorrow evening at 7:30 p.m. and all tickets with the June 4 and July 22 dates will be honored.

Here's the official dcunited.com release:

Due to power outages in southeast Washington D.C., including RFK Stadium, tonight's D.C. United match versus the Houston Dynamo has been postponed. The game will now take place tomorrow evening - Wednesday, July 23 - at 7:30 p.m. ET.

Tonight's game was originally scheduled to be played on June 4 before being delayed by unplayable conditions. All tickets bearing the June 4 or July 22 date will be honored at tomorrow's match.

For the latest details, log on to dcunited.com.

I personally offered the Dynamo a deal where we would just take the three points allowing them to go back to Houston, but I don't think they're going to take it. So.. game on tomorrow (hopefully).

Posted by: informed | July 22, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

behind the badge is reporting the game is put off until tomorrow. http://www.behindthebadge.com/2008/07/dcu-vs-houston-postponed-again.php

Posted by: northzax | July 22, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: northzax | July 22, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

lol,

power outage at RFK, game postponed til tomorrow

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I just got a text that tonight's game is postponed until Wed. night

Posted by: Suz | July 22, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget this and the Chivas outage whenever any of us ever make fun of a third world country CONCACAF opponent with sub-par facilities...

Posted by: Mickey | July 22, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

Unlike the Chivas incident, this does not appear to be stadium-specific.

Posted by: tri-village | July 22, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Fisch Fry, I know what it's like to be bullied and ostracized for no good reason. I cut Solo slack because, if you read Grant Wahl's excellent story on her in Sports Illustrated, her father and her best friend died within two months of each other and roughly six months before the WWC. Solo's father suffered from cancer before his death, so Solo dedicated the WWC qualifying process to him. Obviously, Solo was under immense emotional distress.

Yet instead of empathizing with her and showing compassion, Wambach, Lilly and their teammates (except for Carli Lloyd, thank God!) coldly conspired to shun her as if she had committed some heinous crime -- and all to cover an incompetent coach's posterior (Greg Ryan).

Solo's "punishment" did not fit her "crime." Not by a long shot.

Wambach, Lilly and their teammates who participated in this conspiracy and group ass-covering disgraced their sport, their country and themselves with their behavior. They will regain the respect of millions of Americans when they publicly apologize for their cruelty. Until then, they can sod off.

Here's the SI story:

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | July 22, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

RFK is crumbling down
crumbling down
crumbling down
RFK is crumbling down
Here we come Maryland

Posted by: Power Outage | July 22, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@Joseph D'Hippolito:

Wambach won Oly gold in 2004. So she does have that experience. And the failures in WWC were not due to her play, that's for damn sure.

I do not approve of the team's and Wambach's "Solo treatment" either, but I think it is attributable to (perhaps misguided) beliefs about "team spirit," and I still respect Wambach's play a helluva lot. As she says in the Q&A, she only plays one way. Which if you've ever watched her is true, self-promotional or not. And is a complete distinction IMO from the "star" of the US Mens team.

If you saw the game, she was getting the crap kicked out of her from the start, which is the Brazilian MO for defending her. She then had both of the bones in her lower leg snapped. So, (1) pain and lots of it; and (2) her Olympics are over. Her reaction to that, which showed in her face: "I accepted the reality of this situation. This was a deep down acceptance of my reality." I admire that. A lot. And I'm glad someone asked her the question about it.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 22, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Some of the stuff reported in the more recent thread suggests that this power out(r)age may in fact be stadium-specific.

Posted by: tri-village | July 22, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

If Wambach's "experience" -- and, more to the point, Kristine Lilly's -- were all that meaningful, then they would have rallied the team in a positive manner after the 4-0 loss to Brazil. Instead, they went after an emotionally vulnerable person, shunned her and let her twist in the wind for the mortal sin of speaking her mind in an unguarded fashion.

The whole incident told me that the entire team was against Solo for something that had nothing to do with her remarks. It was a fundamental personality conflict that the other players weren't mature enough to handle; Solo's remarks had nothing to do with it.

Frankly, I don't give a damn about Wambach's "stoic" attitude. I'll respect her when she develops some empathy and compassion for other people. Until then, she can sod off and enjoy the WPS -- if that ever gets off the ground.

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | July 22, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse