Northern Rock

It was a night of improvisation and storytelling, individual flair, harmony and elegance. A sellout crowd was offered 90 quality minutes and then considerable added time, rising to its feet with each masterstroke from a Geordie craftsman who took center stage and embarked on a series of incomparable solo runs with support from his ingenius mates.

Football? Nah. Mark Knopfler doing some serious strummin' at jam-packed Wolf Trap last night.

Selfishly, I welcomed D.C. United's postponement yesterday, for I was headed to the concert regardless. No such conflicts tonight. (Between you and me, I was the one who powersawed the utility lines around RFK. Even T. Boone Pickens, in town to rally Congress behind his alternative energy project, couldn't find a quick solution for Pepco.)

Knopfler's ties to football run deep:

-- Born in Glasgow, but raised in Newcastle and a lifelong Magpies supporter.
-- Played old Wembley many times.
-- Composed the soundtrack for "A Shot at Glory," the Robert Duvall-Michael Keaton film about a underdog Scottish club.
-- For years, his instrumental "Going Home," from the wonderful little film "Local Hero" , welcomed the players into St. James' Park.
-- He played at the opening of Alan Shearer's pub.

To my Brothers in Arms: This evening, pass the Telegraph Road exit on the beltway, head Down to the Waterline, avoid the Industrial Disease of the Anacostia and meet me at Shangri-La (aka RFK). Thanks to MLS expansion, we'll be Sailing to Philadelphia in 2010. In the meantime, I'll be Twisting by the Pool.

By Steve Goff  |  July 23, 2008; 6:30 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Royal Mess
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

I caught Knoppfler at Wolf Trap last year. Seismic!

Posted by: DirtyHarry | July 23, 2008 6:54 AM | Report abuse

And Boom, Like That, the lightning will strike, the power will go out, and there will be no game again.

Posted by: Eddie C | July 23, 2008 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely. Knopfler's great.

Posted by: JDO | July 23, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Is tonight's game going to be replayed in it's entirety, or will it start at the 15th minute?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | July 23, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

So do Developmental players choose Love Over Gold?

Posted by: Dave Lifton | July 23, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

I assume they'll start the game in the 75th minute in an effort to get it completed.

Posted by: They'll play the full 90, hopefully | July 23, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Just no jokes about United being in Dire Straits. ;)

Posted by: La Barra Blonde | July 23, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Never heard of him. But then again, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone on the SE Tailgate playlist, either.

That said, DCU needs to find a way to win tonight.

I wonder, are the players getting any time off during the All Star break? Or is Tommy going to have them put in extra practice time?

Posted by: Ron | July 23, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know how to watch tonight's game? Is it on MLS Direct Kick? Which channel?

Posted by: Neil | July 23, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

it's certainly not looking good for tonight. flash flood watch...heavy thunderstorms and rain from a slow-moving cold front late this afternoon and early evening...

Did they fix the drainage when they laid the new field down?

Posted by: Glenn | July 23, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Just out of curiosity, who was the Post planning to send to Estadio RFK in your place?

Posted by: tri-village | July 23, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I thought I was the only one who saw "A Shot at Glory." A fantastic film (the only tolerable date movie, IMHO)!

Posted by: 20010 | July 23, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

DirtyHarry, as legal representation for the Wolf Trap I must ask: where you sure it was Knoppfler you caught? What were the symptoms and how do you know you caught it exactly at the Wolf Trap? :)

Seriously though, Knoppfler is awesome.

So Goff t'was you who killed the power. Now I have to send in a letter of apipololologies to DCU as I accused them of sabotage caused by a desparate attempt to delay the game for one more day so as to allow Dr. Frankenstein to get one or two more patch-worked walking wounded off the recovery table. I have gotta stop with these conspiracy theories.

Anywho, good luck to the black-and-red tonight. To VICTORY!

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh | July 23, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Goff - how about a setlist from the show?

Posted by: It Never Rains | July 23, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Money for Nothing is an awfully overrated song just because MTV liked the video.

Posted by: RK | July 23, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

You sir are a Sultan of Swing

Posted by: Tweaked | July 23, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Mark Knopfler truly held the audience in his hands, as we witnessed pure genius.

Slightly off topic, did anyone catch Steve Miller last week at Post? Don't berate mentioning Steve in the same breath unless you have seen him live. A totally different style -- but a virtuoso performer and a joy to see in his own right. Joe Cocker's opening was fun but way over-amped.

Posted by: Section 304 | July 23, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

You still got it Goff. Despite giving away our age.
Impressive tidbits.

Posted by: DCUinCT | July 23, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RK | July 23, 2008 9:16 AM
==========

I wholeheartedly disagree. MFN skewered the music and video business as MTV's popularity was peaking. It was delightful satire. I didn't like the video at all.

I will never forgive The Indigo Girls for what they did to Romeo and Juliet.

This blog and my coffee: Expresso Love

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 23, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

May all play with a Golden Heart!

Posted by: Timoteo | July 23, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

PLAYER RATINGS: Knopfler 10

I didn't need to be there to know. Dire Straits was brilliant, but just a warm-up act to his more recent work. All time fav.

Posted by: rke | July 23, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

And next year we will be Sailing to Philadelphia for away games.

Posted by: Karen | July 23, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff - great little review! The show last night was amazing. Couldn't have asked for anything more. And how bout the game being postponed until tonight so we can watch it. Great to know you are a Mark Knopfler fan. He is a without a doubt, a genius!

Posted by: Brickjp | July 23, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Jerry Garcia's favorite guitarist!

Posted by: Adam Spangler | July 23, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

So cutting the power was Your Latest Trick...my favorite of all Knopfler's songs.

I'm glad to see you have your priorities straight.

Posted by: seahawkdad | July 23, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Drat. I took a bike ride near Wolf Trap and would have rode by to hear Knopfler. Instead it was riding past The Fireswamps and Rodents of Unusual Size on the Washington Old Dominion Trail. And I didn't me the Princess Bride either.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | July 23, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse