Rowdy Night in Revsville

So if my math skills have not betrayed me, two games between New England and Atlante in the past five months have produced 22 yellow cards and seven reds -- almost enough cards for every spectator that actually showed up in Foxborough last night for the SuperLiga semifinal between the age-old combatants. Okay, so I exaggerate, but attendance at Gillette was only 8,300.

The Revs were deserving winners last night and, as a reward, they'll host the Houston Dynamo in the tournament final next Tuesday. (I seem to remember these sides playing each other for a trophy a few times before. Hmmm...) MLS is loving it -- two of their clubs playing for ONE BILLION DOLLARS, um, $1 million, er, $150,000 for the players to share -- but in reality, the Revs and Dynamo did what they were supposed to do: win at home against opponents preparing for the start of the regular season.

"I'm sure if you went back and looked at the tape of every game when one of the teams from Mexico has lost, they're all screaming and yelling at the referee," goalkeeper Matt Reis told the Boston Globe. "They're sitting there and have people from their staff coming out taking shots at people, the referee doesn't call the game, and we're doing all this for 15 percent of the prize. In the end, we're not happy. We're not happy with the way things went down, but we played a good game, and all they wanted to come here and do is fight us."

Watch the video highlights here. Tell me who will win the championship in the comments section below.

In another nonleague match, Chris Rolfe and Tomasz Frankowski scored in Chicago's 2-0 victory over visiting Everton. What, only two yellows and one red?

Chicago's lineup and subs:

GK -- Busch (Noble 46); Ds -- Prideaux (Washington 46), Conde (Brown 46), Soumare (Marmol 46), Segares (Woolard 46); MFs -- Thorrington (Lowery 46), Pappa (King 46) (Kasiguran 84), Pause (captain) (Gutierrez 46), Mapp (Banner 46); Fs -- Rolfe (Herron 46), Nyarko (Frankowski 46).

By Steve Goff  |  July 31, 2008; 8:44 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blanco's Punishment Is.....
Next: BREAKING NEWS: United Trade

Comments

NE deserves a trophy for once...

Posted by: RK | July 31, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Had Frankowski been injured? I hadn't heard much about him in a while...

Posted by: andy | July 31, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Uhh... DC United is looking more and more like the Liverpool equivalent of MLS...constantly pining for recognition as the premier club while other clubs (read: Man U and Chelsea) capture the titles. Houston and NE battle for the hardware several seasons in a row now and DCU catpures consolation prizes in the Supporters Shield.

*(Caveat: I personally don't think SuperLiga shouldn't be "hardware" but unfortunately the league has given tremendous emphasis on SuperLiga given their willingness to reschedule the entire season around these exhibitions).

Posted by: Mickey | July 31, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

the five dollar superliga winnings will go to New England.

Posted by: johnny | July 31, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Why was Gillette chosen to host the final?

Houston would have brought a crowd out of at least double what New England will.

Posted by: Mark | July 31, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

From those MLS highlights you would never know there was an "altercation" after the final whistle. I will have to find the footage on youtube I guess.

Posted by: DCM | July 31, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mark | July 31, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

"and we're doing all this for 15 percent of the prize. In the end, we're not happy." Matt Reis on the future collective bargaining agreement negotiations.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 31, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Super (and I use that term very lightly) Liga is a nil, nil tie and after the hundredth pk it is still a tie. I hate NE and Houston and the Super (and I use that term very lightly) Liga is a joke. I'm glad United was eliminated early; we needed the rest.

Posted by: Harpo | July 31, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"NE deserves a trophy for once..."

Isn't it twice counting last year's Open Cup?

Posted by: Marshall | July 31, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Having an all MLS final may be good for Don Garber and MLS HQ, but it is bad for viewership. If only one MLS team were in the final, I could justify watching the match and rooting for MLS/American soccer. Now, this is less important to me than the All-Star game. I don't think I'm alone on this.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 31, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

If there were a trophy awarded for seamlessly blending a combination of hacking, cheap shots and crying, then the Mexican teams competing in Super Liga would win every year...no question about it.

Posted by: EJ | July 31, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tsingletonvt | July 31, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

andy, Frankowski's just been on the bench, not injured. And it looks like Nyarko may slip into the lineup in front of him now that Barrett's gone.

Posted by: Modibo | July 31, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

This tournament needs to go away. Period....

Posted by: DirtyHarry | July 31, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Match is being held in New England because they were the highest seeded team going into the Superliga semi-finals... that, and because the Krafts pay their electric bill on time.

Posted by: Evan | July 31, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"Rowdy Night in Revsville" -- I love Goffinho's headers. Almost as beautiful as a Totti backheel pass through the last line of defense at the Estadio Olympico.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | July 31, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I completely agree with Dirty Harry. This tournament should go away. As a Revs fan who went to all the home SuperLiga games (and watched the Chivas USA game on tv) I am left feeling that the Revs would be better off not getting involved with this crap. It is just not worth it.

Oddly enough though, the game was a lot cleaner than the Revs - Santos game for the first 50 - 60 minutes. Then it looked a lot like a normal SuperLiga game for about 20 minutes before the wheels fell off the wagon around the 80th minute.

Posted by: tsingletonvt | July 31, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

enough with your confusion over the prize money. Clearly if a Mexican team wins they get the $1 million US dollar prize and if a MLS team wins they get $1 million Mexican peso prize.

Posted by: garbaggio | July 31, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

NE has to be the most annoying team to play. They are constantly falling down and faking injury at the slightest contact. I actually believe they are coached on how to project pain as they roll around on the grass/plastic.

My favorite from the after game altercation was Chris Albright. In a matter of seconds he was yelling at someone, got bumped, fell down holding his face and 2 seconds later was up yelling like nothing happened. It seemed like in the middle of his performance he realized that the game was over and there was nothing to be gained by acting like a baby. The lad from Penn Charter really looked confused without a script.

Posted by: Tommie | July 31, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"Rowdy Night in Revsville" -- I love Goffinho's headers.
Posted by: Bill in Md. | July 31, 2008 10:10 AM
========

Steve Free associates:
REVSVILLE - Revolution - Steve Ralston - Tampa Bay Mutiny - Tampa Bay Rowdies - ROWDY - Roddy Piper - Rasslin' - Pugilism - Post-match brawl.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 31, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

So if I agree 100% with Matt Reis' comments, does that make me a bad person?

(And it could extend to games with the Mexican national team as well. Whenever they lose, it was the fault of the referee.)

Posted by: TG | July 31, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

From "virtute" on bigsoccer.com:

"Here's a video of the fight. The recorder was scheduled to stopped at the end of the hour so it didn't record the Vilar interview though which went pass it.

Posted by: Modibo | July 31, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I agree the game should be in Houston. At least there the stands would be full. Joephef goal was artistry.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

NE gets to host final as they advanced out of the group stage with more points. No?

From the highlights it looks more like a rugby game than a football match in the latter stages.

Many people here on the blog have been calling for Soehn's head this season - following the second straight season with a poor/slow start. I figured injuries and such a new roster were more to blame this year.

However, it has become very clear that Steve Nicol and Dominic Kinnear are good coahes in the MLS. The job they've done with their teams over the past 3 years speaks for itself.

Besides a few player personnel needs, the DCU FO should also consider finding that next great coah in MLS.

Posted by: Redd | July 31, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The game is in Foxboro because NE is the higher ranking seed (first in group B). We never do well in weekday attendance because it is so much more difficult to get to a weekday game, and it really wasn't advertised.(sore subject around here)
I was at the game last night...Atlante is a very skilled team that really didn't do much, and didn't do enough to win. The alleged handball in the box was at the other end: I couldn't see what happened, but I sure did notice the Atlante subs who jumped over the barrier onto the field!The end of the game was disgraceful, an Atlante staff member who punched Albright, Heaps was on the ground, probably yapping, but I didn't see him do anything to deserve a red
card, the Atlante keeper "love-tapped" substitute keeper Warren on the sidelines, and so on.
I know NE has its own share of stupidity, but it didn't seem to be at the same level. Really, a dumb ending to a pretty good game. (And we have to play them again in CCC if we beat Joe Public)

Posted by: cammie v | July 31, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The game is in New England because the Revs are on yellow card suspension for getting too physical in the airplane bathroom the last time they flew. One more yellow card from American Airlines and they would have missed their next flight.

Posted by: AM | July 31, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

To be fair, the Mexican season is underway at this point, so the semifinal winners beat teams that are at full competitive speed, if not mid-season form. Reverse of the CONCACAF Champions Cup.

Posted by: Jordan | July 31, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Mexico sucks and your soccer is getting worse every year. The way mexican teams play and whine, they embarass themselves and their country (if that's possible).

Posted by: FCD Brad | July 31, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

As someone corrected me on this point, I'll just return the favor: Mexican League season started last weekend.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 31, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Agree with you Dirty Harry, Super Liga will hopefully roll over and die after the final... Let Garber play in the thing if he thinks it's that important!
I think the new CCL is going to be a lot of fun, and Incentive to keep players involved fit year round. Maybe a disadvantage to teams not qualifying post/preseason play, but I'd guess that's just going to elevate everyones game.
I am gonna say Houston wins with another game winner by Bob Boswell, as the knife continues to twist...

Posted by: Dadryan | July 31, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I watched what happened to Albright in slow mo on my DVR. Granted, I don't think it was enough of an injury to justify his reaction, but I think it was mostly shock, because it appeared to me that one of the COACHES for Atlante scratched Albright's face with his fingernails. He almost got his eye (and it looked like that's what he was going for). So I feel that his reaction was pretty justified. (Not a New England fan. I live in MN, so I get by with USL action.)

Posted by: Pat | July 31, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

New England Revolutiion

Posted by: Elvis | July 31, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

lOTS OF SOUR GRAPES FROM ALL THE LOSING TEAMS, DCU etc.

Posted by: jmh | July 31, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

SuperLiga is good competition, so stop whinning. MLS teams have improved alot, and Mexican teams arent dominating anymore.

Posted by: JAV | July 31, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Makes no difference if N.E. or Houston win SuperLiga, just happy to see Mexican clubs pack their bags and jet back home with nothing to show for it.

How typical of the refs and reactions from MFL players to stain the beautiful game, not that MLS is golden but God knows the US is above the mess of CONCACRAP too bad corrupt aholes like Jack Warner won't fix what is wrong with this region. Let's see the US has taken the game seriously for just about 20 years and we have surpassed even Mexico based on club and country results over that period (2-0 ring a bell)the only thing that remains is winning in Mexico on a regular basis and my gut say that happens soon. What next can we pull an Australia and switch Feds?

Posted by: glove | July 31, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Can somebody explain what the deal is with the "15%" of the prize?

Posted by: Ben | July 31, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

MLS HQ taxes the $1M SuperLiga prize at an 85% rate, leaving the team with 15% to be split among the players. Even the Scandanavians would be shocked by those taxes.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 31, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

funny how you make it seem like they didn't accomplish much by simply winning at home "like they were supposed to against teams preparing for the season" when DC couldn't do the same. and both of them without DPs, much less TWO DPs that DC has... hmm kinda makes ya think don't it?

Posted by: MarkVA | July 31, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse