Thursday Morning Kickaround

Good morning all. Here's my story from today's print version, as you can see there are two sides to every story. We'll see exactly what happens when the USSF takes a look at the video.

UPDATE:

Here is the MLS First XI as named this morning for the MLS All-Star game against the EPL's West Ham United on July 24 in Toronto. No D.C. United players in that team, but what do you think about the lineup? Remember, the First XI is not necessarily the starting XI.

MLS First XI

GK- Matt Reis, New England Revolution
D- Jimmy Conrad, Kansas City Wizards
D- Frankie Hejduk, Columbus Crew
D- Michael Parkhurst, New England Revolution
MF - David Beckham, Los Angeles Galaxy
MF - Cuauhtémoc Blanco, Chicago Fire
MF - Shalrie Joseph, New England Revolution
MF - Sacha Kljestan, Chivas USA
MF - Robbie Rogers, Columbus Crew
F - Kenny Cooper, FC Dallas
F - Landon Donovan, Los Angeles Galaxy

Here are some other links from around the web that I took interest in this morning.

- If you have a plane ticket to South Africa already, you may want to book to three mystery locations as well.

- Wayne Rooney's agent is in a bit o' trouble with the FA

- The Ronaldo saga continues in Manchester.

- Real Salt Lake will host the 2009 All-Star Game.

I'll get you the results of the U-17 academy team's championship game today as soon as I hear them.

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 10, 2008; 10:40 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Blanco Situation and Other Tidbits
Next: Short Update on U-17s

Comments

Three cheers for Sr. Tenorio brightening the dismal summer sports scene.

Posted by: Junior | July 10, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Reis
Hejduk
Conrad
Parkhurst
Beckham
Blanco
Joseph
Klejstan
Rogers
Cooper
Donovan

This is the "First XI" but not necessarily the "Starting XI."

Nicol will name the reserves (additional All-Stars) on 7/15. The "Starting XI" will be set by the coaching staff for the game, from anyone on the final All-Star Roster.

Posted by: playa | July 10, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

No one from DC made the initial list.

I'm guessing Nicol will add at least one guy, likely Emilio. Although, DC hosts Houston 2 days before the 7/24 All-Star game, so who knows how this will play out.

Posted by: Bien | July 10, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"there are two sides to every story..."

(pardon my french)

"I was dancing, you see it how I do in the Nike advertisements, and this crazy fan he want to dance with me and he jump under my feet" Eric Cantona

"I look for my lost contact lens and this Italian walks into my head." Zinedine Zidane

"I was trying to clear the ball. These new balls, they look like the Dallas jerseys." Ricardo Clark

"He just fell over. I think he was drunk." Joey Barton

and finally

"The b**ch set me up." Hizzonner

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm curious to see the outcome after officals watch the video.

Also, slightly off-topic, but has anyone thought about nominating Soccer Insider for Best Sports Blog for the Bloggers Choice Awards? I was going to but I didn't know what people (and Goff?) would think about it.

Posted by: Moe | July 10, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Senor Tenorio -- again, there were reports from the stands at the SoccerPlex as well as from inside the locker area that Blanco got into it with the police as well. At least one person has come forward to say he witnessed Blanco try to slap a cop. What comments have been given (from the teams? the security and police folks?) about this one?

Posted by: Bootsy | July 10, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

im surprised blanco is in there. maybe when they review the tape he will be banned\

maybe we will see Luciano in the starting 11 if he gets picked. probably not because of the racist Steve Nicol

Posted by: stil.. a possbilby | July 10, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I am perfectly fine with the fact that there are no DC players on the list yet.

Posted by: Skyler | July 10, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Blanco - 2,666,778
Joseph - 180,625
Kljestan - 103,000
Rogers - 50,000
Cooper - 83,000
Donovan - 900,000

Rogers looks like the great deal amongst this group.

Posted by: Dsmac | July 10, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Where's Steve Ralston? You know Nicol's going to pick him.

Posted by: andrewk | July 10, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Rogers and Cooper are the darlings of MLS fans who want young Americans to get exposure and playing time with the National Team as soon as possible.

Fan voting can give "interesting results".

But I don't know who besides Rogers anyone would want on that list. He's having a good/great year.

Posted by: And I don't like the Crew | July 10, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Rogers is having a hell of a year...

wont olympic team duty rule rogers and kljestan out?

Posted by: Skyler | July 10, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I think that is accurate. The only exception I have to is Shalrie Joseph. He has been playing well, but Javier Morales and Kyle Beckerman have been just as good. Both of them will probably make the final roster.

I think Cooper is the obvious choice, given that he has scored all those goals when he is essentially the only decent player Dallas has. Emilio has Moreno, Gallardo and Fred helping him out and serving him balls. He should be a no-brainer for the final roster. Maybe Buddle and Cristman to round out the forwards.

Posted by: Ted | July 10, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

my exact sentiment WHAT!. Rogers isn't the best midfielder on his team, let alone the top-11 of the league. Don't really know how this pick was made...

Blanco is going to be on the sidelines for awhile, assuming that USSF penalties transfer over to the MLS, do they?

Posted by: DudeAbides | July 10, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

If I were Nicol, to fill out the roster, I'd pick:

J. Busch
J. Brennan
G. Martinez
M. Edu
K. Beckerman
D. DeRosario
E. Buddle
J.P. Angel
L. Emilio

Posted by: How many total? | July 10, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

So happy none of our players are in this meaningless game where the likes of Blanco or some no-name Hammer wanting to impress his coach could injure them... stay healthy and kick some SuperLiga rival @$$!

Posted by: Soy United! | July 10, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

So what is the third country that could host the World Cup on one year's notice? I figure the US and England are two obvious choices, but the third one is escaping me. When I think about who would already have the infrastructure, many have recently hosted (France, Germany, Japan). Spain? Italy?

Posted by: 5280 | July 10, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

The final 5 spots are all probably going to be from the Revoulution.
You know how Steve Nicol is.

Posted by: *Sigh* | July 10, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I am absolutely against DC players on that nonsense MLS Garber interest list. So did most of DC fans for not voting DC players on the list, i hope. It's a waste and there is a possibility of players being injured playing in a nonsense game in the middle of important leage season.

Posted by: arlington4united | July 10, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

This voting has been going on for months, so no surprise that DCU is not represented -- their first-quarter form assured them of that.

"Elkin also said Blanco and a Fire security guard were yelled at by fans and United employees as they walked off the field and again in the locker room area. "

Um...so?

Posted by: RK | July 10, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

"[Blanco] did stop at the bench to pick up whatever and the guy got on him, and when he turned to leave, his forehead did graze the cheek or jaw area.

That is crap i saw him headbutt the dude i even thought it was one of the Fire employees. He picked up some things that is true but then after the subject came to help him out the field he stoop in his face said something and then headbutted the guy. FU*K U BLANCOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: 135 | July 10, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

As if DCU coaches haven't loaded the All-Star roster before with DCU players, when they dominated halfway through?

Posted by: RK | July 10, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

This is from behindthebadge report on DC United U17: Me thinks it's the start of United winning championships trophies! Next, the United senior team will go for US Open Cup trophy, Super Liga trophy, United continue winning SS while NE chokes and MLS Cup and go for Chompions leage trophy....Wow.

DCU Academy in U17 SUM Cup finals!
07/09/2008 4:20 PM by Cris Cruz

The D.C. United Academy team advanced today to the MLS Under 17 Cup final by defeating Chivas USA 3-0. Michael Burgos proved to be the driving force for United, as he scored two goals and provided an assist on Chris Hegngi's tally.

D.C. will now attempt to win their second consecutive championship when they face Real Salt Lake tomorrow in the final. RSL advanced after defeating Toronto FC 2-0 in the other semifinal.

Head Coach Judah Cooks said: "We were very lucky to get out of the first half against a very good Chivas team. Very good defending led by captain Ethan White. Second half subs were very prepared and extremely focused adn were able to change the game. Michael Burgos and Micahel Funes changed the game for us coming off the bench in the second half."

Posted by: arlington4united | July 10, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I didn't pick this up earlier because I don't care about the All-Star friendly, but why is it on a Thursday? Hasn't it always been on a weekend? Isn't the point of this thing to promote the league and attract viewers who wouldn't otherwise tune in to an MLS match? How many of them will be flipping channels on a Thursday night?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Really, a Thursday? On the bright side, there's not much else on in the middle of summer.

Posted by: RK | July 10, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Chicago Fire Vice President of Communications Gregg Elkin, however, said Blanco did not head-butt anyone.

"[Blanco] did stop at the bench to pick up whatever and the guy got on him, and when he turned to leave, his forehead did graze the cheek or jaw area," Elkin said.

Wow. What an eloquent quote from the VP of Communications.

Posted by: Beloved Cartoon Mouse | July 10, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

What are the chances Blanco takes a swing at Lee Bowyer?

Posted by: Section 130 | July 10, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't get the racist comment against Nicol that someone made. The guy has players from all sorts of races/nationalities getting playing time on his team. Not to mention the ever-present Shalrie. How is that racist?

Posted by: elopingcamel | July 10, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Our Fixtures:

USOC: 1 (2)
SuperLiga: 3 (5)
CCL: 6
MLS: 15 (17, 18, 19)

That comes out to:
25 (32) or 5.4 or (4.2) days between games.

We may want to make sure we're healthy and rested as much as possible. Hopefully SuperLiga and CCL and other Trophies will go to shore up any bonus lost by not being an "All-Star".

I don't hate the game - that's not my intent at all - but since it's a foreign club in preseason, perhaps clubs involved in SuperLiga and CCL shouldn't be OBLIGATED to release their players for the exhibition.

I'm still of the mind that MLS would get MORE bang for the buck if they held a gun to ESPN's head and said - we'll send our Bext XI squad to be the final tune-up for a team in Europe (Champions League level) and you can air the game and we'll have a more serious competition then. The mid August time frame frees up SuperLiga concerns.

Posted by: Virginia Blue Blood | July 10, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be just to add Simms, Emilio, Moreno, and Scheletto? Just a thought. Simms is better than Shalrie Joseph, period. Emilio is the reigning MLS MVP who is second in goals scored (a no brainer here). Scheletto has been great. I would really love to see Gallardo, but his numbers aren't impressive enough to get the selection. He does so much that can't be seen by analyzing the stats.

Most importantly Jamie Moreno has had one of his better years. As he goes, so goes United. When a team has such an incredible stretch of MLS form, how do we not reward those at the center of it? Third on the table and no all-stars? Fan balloting at its best.

Posted by: Dave | July 10, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

If South Africa is unable to host the World Cup, and by chance the US does obtain the right to host it - I would love to see Gulati reward those cities which have actually helped their MLS teams obtain a stadium when asked for it or at least negotiated in good faith, and not give cities like Houston and DC (sorry guys) the opportunity to benefit from a sport they continue to not support.

Posted by: orr112 | July 10, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I sat in the top row behind the Fire bench. He did not stop to get anything, he sat down like he owned the place. As things are going, maybe he does. I hope we had our own camera. MLS has confiscated everything that is on the web. How come Beckham doesn't have a security guard? He is worth 3 of Blanco.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 10, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: elopingcamel | July 10, 2008 12:04 PM -----------------------------------
because the only players he puts on the field are white guys
and maybe one african american or whatever he is
you dont see much different people on the pitch than that..
sure he has some other races on thier.. but does he give as much time as steve ralston? parkhurst? twellman? no..

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Nicol is a racist? He consistently starts 4 to 5 non white players. Way to be ignorant.

And good for DC fans not voting for their players for the All Star game. They only miss out on their All Star bonuses, and Lord knows some of these players could use it.

Posted by: Steven | July 10, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Be happy none of our guys are going to the All-Star game. United already has too much on their plate in the upcoming weeks!

Posted by: kasdc | July 10, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: elopingcamel | July 10, 2008 12:04 PM-------------------------\
no one said he was racist..

Posted by: i dont get it,,,, | July 10, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Two sides? It's absolutely true that fans were calling out to Blanco as he walkd past the stands. It's also true that a number of fans ran up from their seats to the rope line at the back to watch Blanco come up the path to the dressing room...and they waited and waited, because the Blanco march stopped at the back end of the field for a time. The fans did shout at Blanco -- some were razzing him and some were just adoring fans.

I have a few questions: What's the big deal? Does the Fire rep think fans ought to or would just ignore Blanco at that moment?

More to the point, what does any of that have to do with anything that happened between Blanco and those escorting him? Is he blaming the fans for Blanco's physically lashing out at United's security and a Montgomery County cop?

Seriously -- let's forget that many of the fans were just excited to see him up close and wanted to cheer him (he was one reason why there were almost 2,000 more fans on Tuesday, compared with the Rhinos game) -- let's just suppose that all of those fans were razzing him -- so what?

What kind of defense is that? The fans were booing him, so it's understandable that he resisted security? Seriously?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 10, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I am sure the VP of communications for the Fire is doing his job, echoing Blanco's side of the story.

Sadly, there is not an ounce of truth in it. This happened directly in front of me. I'd estimate 30 seconds between the head butt and Blanco making any motion to leave.

Posted by: Mark M | July 10, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure the reason Ralston, Parkhurst, and Twellman start is because they would start for any team in MLS.

Posted by: Tom | July 10, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"Simms is better than Shalrie Joseph, period."

Do you really believe that? Yikes.

As for the other guy making wild accusations about Steve Nicol -- the Revs have seen significant time from Shalrie Joseph, Khano Smith, Mauricio Castro, Sainey Nyassi, Kenny Mansally, and Kheli Dube this year. Get a clue.

Posted by: Balerion | July 10, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

no one said he was racist..

Posted by: i dont get it,,,, | July 10, 2008 12:16 PM

----

Take a look at:

----

Posted by: stil.. a possbilby | July 10, 2008 11:22 AM

----

It's a dumb statement. Nyassi, Mansally, Smith, Joseph, Dube, Castro....

Posted by: Ted | July 10, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Who was the MLS defender able to shut down Donovan and any other defender coming near him?

Martinez is one of the top defenders in MLS right now and should be starting.

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 10, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"not give cities like Houston and DC (sorry guys) the opportunity to benefit from a sport they continue to not support."

Matches at FedEx field will reward Prince George's Co. for considering a soccer stadium. I will rent my finished basement for 300 Euros/night (complimentary WiFi and morning shuttle to the Metro station; my wife always said that she wants to run a B&B).

Seriously though, MLS stadiums (except Columbus?) are in the suburbs and will not host WC matches, which will be in the large gridiron stadiums. The economic benefit to the specific suburbs that support soccer may be minimal.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 12:31 PM
-------------------------------------------

You planning on taking in Wells, when Olsen rents his digs to our next goalie?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 10, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

For 300 Euros, it better be some sweet digs. I just booked a room overlooking the Ponte Vecchio for just over 100 Euros/night.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 10, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

ef the MLS Allstar game and it's popularity contest. I hope like hell that none of our DCU roster makes it on the pitch for the waste that it is.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

E300 is justified by the wonderful breakfast menu of European delicacies like Strudel zum töster (Germany), Cherie-os (France), Egg McMuffin (Ireland), and burritos de desayuno (Spain).

I don't think Wells can afford it on the Real Maryland salary.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Beckham does have his own security.
Joseph is better than Simms, but I still hate him.

Posted by: jgildea | July 10, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I am happy none of our players will have to deal with this stupid "All-star" game. There are plenty of matches for them to play in without spending time traveling to this one.

I thought Toronto got all of the highest votes. Did the league throw all of those votes out or something? Didn't Sutton (!?!?!) win the GK voting?

No way Angel gets in this game. He hasn't played in like two months. He has been hampered by injuries and his terrible, terrible team. Too many other good players in the league who are in-form.

NE is in first place. So you would expect Nicol to pick a number of his own players. The problem is they can only fill one team of "all-stars" from among 14 teams. That doesn't leave too much space on the roster.

Posted by: Glenn | July 10, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Cuauhtémoc Blanco - his punishment should be that he is not allowed to play with the all-stars

Posted by: bobf | July 10, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

i enjoy the all star game in mls more than most sports b/c we play other clubs. a good chance to measure up against the competition.

i'm excited about the youth team. can't wait for the update. thanks in advance.

Posted by: hokie soccer fan | July 10, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Glenn, fan voting counts for 25%. Players, coaches, and media makes up the remaining 75% (each have their own category and the 4 categories are averaged together). Top 20 vote getters can be found on this page.

Posted by: Steven | July 10, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Emilio should start instead of Cooper.
And why is Beckham in the team? Has he done anything more than Gallardo? Honestly, I think not, and I also think that he's in the team simply because of publicity. The kids and girls like Beckham, so they vote him in the All-Star team. Unbelievable.
And BTW, Blanco does not deserve to be in the team as punishment for his actions after Tuesday's game.

Posted by: bob | July 10, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

If you think Beckham doesn't belong, you haven't been paying attention.

Posted by: RK | July 10, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Will Real Salt Lake still have that football artificial turf field when they host the 2009 all star game? That would be an embarrassment to the league.

Posted by: Clark | July 10, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Blanco's Punishment?

How about he is forced to play all 90 minutes of the All-Star game, but all the other players secretly decide to never pass him the ball! Make him run around all day and have everyone ignore him! That might hurt his ego.

Posted by: Dsmac | July 10, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 5280 | July 10, 2008 11:40 AM

U.S., Ingerlund, Spain, and Australia could all host on a moment's notice and probably will. I don't think Brazil is a lock to hold on either in 2014.

Heck, the Southeastern Conference could host a World Cup if you thought playing Iran-Mexico in Tuscaloosa was a good idea. And for full disclosure, it is.

Posted by: AM | July 10, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Can it RK. beckham doesn't belong. nor do rogers, blanco, or landycakes. conrad I can understand but hes been hurt for most of the season. and gazidis seemed to point out how he has 3 goals when two of them came in one of the few games he played.

and with all the toronto fans voting and not ONE of them making it? they just want the players with face value to play not the real stars.

My first XI would be
Ries
Parkhurst
Hejduk
Marvell Wynne
Laurent Robert
Beckerman
Gallardo
Klejstan
Joeseph
Cooper
Emilio

Posted by: jon | July 10, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Montreal, Canada (CanWest News): An American tourist was arrested in an outdoor cafe today after customers called police to complain about the man's "screaming and ranting" about soccer.

The man, who remains unnamed until relatives are notified of his pending trial, was said to be heard yelling to nobody in particular, "Why did this have to happen while I was on *&$%(@{} vacation!" witnesses reported the man as saying.

"&#@*^#& Blanco!" the man reportedly repeated over and over, spittle flying from his mouth.

Observers said the man appeared to be reading a soccer blog on his laptop computer. Police attempted to quietly remove the American until the visitor stood up and started yelling, "Tenorio, you lucky dog! You lucky dog! Don't even THINK about getting too comfortable because I coming back!"

The man, who police believe is from Washington, DC, was soon tasered and placed in the back of a police car.

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 10, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

i'm excited about the youth team. can't wait for the update. thanks in advance.
Posted by: hokie soccer fan | July 10, 2008 12:55 PM
==============
It doesn't reflect measuring up against the competition though. Remember, United beat Chelsea and Celtic for a friendly games and it's the same for all star crap. The other team is in pre-season form still. It's kind of embarresing to me that we collect all the, supposedly, the better players from MLS and meet with mid-low ranked team and still can't convincingly win the game.
Keep United players here quiet.

Posted by: arlington4united | July 10, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Clark | July 10, 2008 1:17 PM
==========================================

This question is answered by the article to which Tenorio linked. The whole point is to showcase the new SSS; i.e., *not* the pointyball stadium with artificial turf to which you refer.

Posted by: tri-village | July 10, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Clark: RSL will have a new stadium shortly.

Posted by: RK | July 10, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

To answer my own question: Real Salt Lake will complete their new stadium, with a grass field, long before the 2009 All Star Game.

Posted by: Clark | July 10, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Beckham takes the horrid Galaxy to the top of the West and doesn't belong? Turns Edson Buddle into a useful striker and doesn't belong?

That's crazy talk.

Laurent Robert?

That confirms the craziness

Posted by: JkR | July 10, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Blanco is a piece of sh*t muther f*cker! He always has been, and always will be!

Posted by: Alan | July 10, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@Alan

Dude, clean it up. That crap belongs elsewhere

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 10, 2008 1:26 PM
=======

Ne-taze-pas moi, mon frere (or something like that)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd take the players with the smallest contracts in the league and give them the All-Star spots and extra cash.

The All-Star Game needs to go the way of the Dodo.

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 10, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I just learned that the Open Canada Cup, the counterpart to USOC, was discontinued, at least for this year, apparently because some people in high places thought it detracted from this Nutrilite-sponsored three-team affair. Wouldn't it have been more interesting to have let the OCC go forward, and to give the winner the CCL slot, even if it turns out to be a club from Trois-Rivieres (home of the 2007 champs)?

Posted by: tri-village | July 10, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

MLS All Starzzzzzzzzzz..........

Posted by: Kim | July 10, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

LMAO,

@Joe Doc

Well played sir , very well played.

That is hillarious(spelling?)!!!!!!

Posted by: 135 | July 10, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

completely off topic...

Crespo was released last week. What are the chances he shows up in the MLS?

Posted by: bribri | July 10, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

arlington4united, yeah i know it's not a perfect measure (or maybe even a good measure) but i guess that can be said for a lot of competitions given the mls calendar. anyhow, i still find the game enjoyable. cheers.

Posted by: hokie soccer fan | July 10, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Blatter's comments about the Ronaldo situation are assinine. First off, nobody twisted Ronaldo's arm when he signed the contract. It's the same dilemma every athlete faces. Deal with it.

In addition, for a man in Blatter's position to comment on individual cases is the height of unprofessionalism. Course, that's no first for him, but it remains absolutely unconscionable that the president of the international footballing association should stick his nose into contract negotiations.

These guys and their agents should insist on buy out clauses. Then if you want out, you've got an option. If you don't want out THAT bad, then you stay put.

The Glazer's have a contract. Simple as that.

Posted by: Matte | July 10, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Spot on, Matte.

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 10, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow no DC player made it to the All Star list? Oh well more time for practice.

Posted by: Bart | July 10, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hokie soccer fan | July 10, 2008 1:50 PM
=====
Agreed. I am glad you enjoy the all star game. I have no problem at all. cheers too!

Posted by: arlington4united | July 10, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

It's bizarre that Blatter should refer to the post-Bosman buying and selling of contracts as slavery. Pre-Bosman was more like slavery when clubs could hold on to players even after their contracts were up.

I know, I know. Blatter, bizarre, what's my point?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Laurent Robert, MLS All-Star?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Posted by: Mike | July 10, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Does Beckham's security sit next to him on the player's bench? Blanco's did and handed him everything. I thought they gave him a go-for.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 10, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"

The Glazer's have a contract. Simple as that.
"

all players do, google webster rule

Posted by: yo | July 10, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

WAY off topic, but...

Be sure to check out the season premier of Burn Notice tonight. 10 pm, USA Network.

@I-270, Exit 1: I bet your TV with rabbit ears will even get it.

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 10, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

didnt you all go to the galaxy game? there was 4 becks bodyguards around the field!!! there was one staring at the barra at all times!!!

Posted by: 135 | July 10, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc, you made my afternoon!
Are the folks saying that Beckham, Donovan, and Rogers shouldn't be on the list watching any MLS games?
Blanco's a whole different story as of Tuesday evening in my opinion.
Beckham has been a game changer all season, and the duo of him and Donovan have been more awesome than not. He can serve the ball consistently better to anyone on his team than any other player in MLS right now. Period. NO one can provide service like he does.
Blanco's pretty good at it, Schelotto is good at it but Becks deserves props for handling his business this year.
I think DCU players being over looked for selection is a blessing in a tiny disguise. Most of us seem to agree on that, and here's to hoping we get the results United is clearly capable of this month and rested enough to handle the grind that August is gonna be.

Posted by: dadryan | July 10, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

My XI :
GK - Reis
DF - Soumae
DF - Conrad
DF - Parkhurst
MF - Beckerman
MF - Marsch
MF - Rogers
MF - Ralston
FW - J. Moreno
FW - Donovan
FW - A. Moreno

Posted by: GoUnited | July 10, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I was going to take offense, but then I knew he wasn't serious once he mentioned Laurent Robert...

Posted by: RK | July 10, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: arlington4united | July 10, 2008 11:50 AM
____________________________
Did either of them run past the bench, pointing to his wrist after he scored?
;)
Well done, DCU youth!

Posted by: schmuckatelli | July 10, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

DC United's U17 team lost on PKs after a 1-1 tie in regular time.
:-( Bummer

Posted by: jgildea | July 10, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

If it's gonna be that kind of party:
Don't forget to tune in early and often to the Tour De France on VS.
The mountain stages tend to be more fun to watch:)

Posted by: Dadryan | July 10, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

@ Joe Doc. Rabbit ears? I've gone modern. I have a VCR.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

@yo:

thanks for the info on the webster rule. Very interesting stuff online on the subject.

Posted by: Matte | July 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

If you think Beckham doesn't belong, you haven't been paying attention.

Posted by: RK | July 10, 2008 1:09 PM

Beckham has been way too much of a defensive liability to deserve to be included in the league's BEST 11. You haven't been paying attention.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or does losing on PKs seem even more cruel for the U17 level?

Posted by: jgildea | July 10, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

And they are in Auvergne -- some beautiful country today. Good race today.

Posted by: RK | July 10, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

DC United's U17 team lost on PKs after a 1-1 tie in regular time.
:-( Bummer
Posted by: jgildea | July 10, 2008 3:43 PM
======
yaks...how could they sit and let the others play. They have won every match by 3 goals to nil. Lucks plays a big part, of course.

Posted by: arlington4united | July 10, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

They only gave up two goals (other than the PKs) through the whole tournament. Not bad.

Posted by: jgildea | July 10, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoUnited | July 10, 2008 3:46 PM
=============

Thanks for the laugh this afternoon. Defense in an All-Star game. You sweet, innocent child.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the updates Paul. It is important to feed the monster!

Posted by: Thanks! | July 10, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@RK: Dude, you'd better shut things down in a hurry. Can I come by and get my winnings first?

Posted by: Joe Doc | July 10, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Ricardo Ricco!
The Cobra strikes!

Posted by: Dadryan | July 10, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Now how are people going to bet on the Olympics?

Posted by: RK | July 10, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Franklin Foer with a South Africa/Germany/USA/whatever 2010 preview on NPR earlier this afternoon:

Posted by: tri-village | July 10, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

So can someone explain how the youth system works. Does DCU have the rights to these kids on the U17 team? What happens when they go to college. Do they not enter the draft at all after that?

Posted by: Nick | July 10, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Nicol is racist? Wow.

I can understand the DC fans hoping their players don't get in on this. Other than the bonus checks, I'd rather the Revs players not be in it either. BTW, for those of you that think Nicol will add two or three more Revs players, facts aren't your specialy are they. He eschewed Dorman last year, even though he was tied for the league lead in goals at that point.

The Revs have a busy schedule around that time frame, same as DC. Why in hell would he want to bring in even more of his players? Common sense people...

Posted by: Monty | July 10, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

while the the all-star game is kind of retarded and childish I am glad to see Kenny Cooper starting up top. He is having a great season and I hope to see him paired up top with Jozy for USMNT fixtures on the future.

Posted by: wrc | July 10, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Cristiano Ronaldo believes FIFA president Sepp Blatter was right to controversially describe him as being treated like a "modern-day slave" by current club Manchester United.

Ronaldo was responding to Blatter's comments made earlier in the day, in which the head of world football insisted the player should be allowed to join Spanish giants Real Madrid if he wants to.

"I completely agree with the FIFA president," said the player currently resting in Portugal after undergoing an ankle operation.

He added: "The president is correct, but I do not want to say more."

Posted by: RK | July 10, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"It doesn't reflect measuring up against the competition though. Remember, United beat Chelsea and Celtic for a friendly games..."
arlinton4united
_____________________
Revisionist history? United lost to Chelsea 2-1.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 10, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Where does the Result Vs. Real Madrid fit into the equation?
I can't recall who scored for DC, was it Esky or Dychenko?

Posted by: Dadryan | July 10, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm totally cool with sending no DC players to the All Star game. Although I'm thinking Emilio (along with Buddle) will probably be added, but there's no way he starts ahead of Donovan and Cooper.

I would say that Namoff and Martinez also probably DESERVE to be named All Stars, but neither gets any recognition across the league, and I'd rather keep it that way.

Posted by: DCUMD | July 10, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

"Real Madrid are believed to be prepared to offer around 85 million euros for the 23-year-old and pay him nine million euros on a five-year deal."

How much of the transfer fee would CR get here? 9m euros is only $15m - Andrew Bogut just got that kind of contract to spare us to death in Milwaukee for the next five years. All you have to be is a left-handed pitcher with a pulse to make that money in baseball. Hope he can afford his salt cod on that.

Posted by: AM | July 10, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

With Blanco's picture now bookended by Beckham's and Donovan's on MLS' announcement of the Top XI, I predict that the MLS will drag out the investigation of the head-butt incident, and eventually rule the videotape inconclusive since they can't tell what was said that might have provoked Blanco.

Posted by: Carnack the (Not-So) Magnificient | July 10, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

"predict that the MLS will drag out the investigation of the head-butt incident, and eventually rule the videotape inconclusive "

After painstaking analysis of the Zapruder Youtube video, I conclude that there was a second head-butter in the grassy knoll behind the goal.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I am so sick of Jimmy Conrad getting picked to Best XI and MLS All-star teams when he has been a member of an under-performing defense for the last 3 or so seasons. Sure the guy rights decent copy and scores some goals. But he is not that great a defender in MLS.

He is a bit like the second stage of Eddie Pope's (bless him) career when he was a big part of ineffective defenses in NY and RSL and still got all of the plaudits he got as a great defender for DC.

Conrad has been a great defender and he has been a good servent for the USMNT. I am not even suggesting he doesn't have it in him to be a great player again. But the past few years, he has not been all that.

Jamieson Olathe, Nat Borchers, Eddie Robinson, New Michael Parkhurst (even during an uneven year by his standards), Gonzolo Segares, Chad Marshall and a couple other guys have been better than Conrad this season. I would even give guys like Drew Moor, Tyrone Marshall, Sean Franklin (despite his terrible backline-mates) and Gonzolo Martinez (despite DC's poor record) the nod over Conrad.

On the other hand, I am glad that DC is going to be minimally represented on the All-Star Team.

Posted by: Liverpool_SC | July 10, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

MLS really needs to give up the video to the public.
Regardless of what they conclude they owe it to all the fans to allow this incident to be viewed by the fans and the world at large.
I'm not asking them to rebroadcast it, but if there is a highlight reel of the game(which there was) they need to have it on the website.
I'm reminded of Shaun Taylor's spitting incident, which most who watched the tape agreed that he was out of line. RIP 21!
If I can't see the tape then don't cry when the fans start taking matters into their own hands...
Yes I do mean bags of piss and batteries for Blanco the next time he shows up in DC.

Posted by: Dadryan | July 10, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan: The Two-Wheeled Vigilante.

Riding past the visitor's bench, the helmeted figure in the brightly colored jersey and biking shorts reaches into his courier bag and reveals his fearsome arsenal - dead D-cells from the bouncy seat and Babyryan's dirty diapers!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

HOw did you know I wear bike shorts?
I hadn't thought of using the diapers, but that is genius!
The only inaccuracy is that I'd be rocking the United jersey!

Posted by: Dadryan | July 10, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

A bit out of the flow of the discussion, but I've always liked an idea I heard on the Screaming Eagles list years ago -- Pick 22 (or more) all-star, with two captains, and have them pick up teams on the field before the game. Make it kind of pickup, and hope for a loose "can you do this?" atmosphere -- if Jaime is a captain and doesn't pick Emilio, for instance. Motivates Emilio, doesn't it? I think that taking it more to the street/vacant lot/park dynamic mixes it up from regular season, and might be fun to watch.

Though no All Star game would be fine with me, too. . .

Posted by: herbivorous | July 10, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

At some point, I assume they will return to an East-West format -- perhaps when they reach 16 established teams. Then, if we ever get enough decent Americans, maybe a USA vs. the World format.

By the way, I love that Conrad gets dissed here, then delivers with a sweet goal. Jimmy Conrad is one of a handful of the best American defenders.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 10, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Bite your tongue Fisch Fry. When MLS reaches 16 teams, the purists will demand a single table format. Away with the East-West rubbish. Never the twain shall meet.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Nicol a racist?

Look, I don't like Steve Nicol. He complains about officials when his team was the guilty party, and he often claims his team was superior when they were being outplayed. However, he has never once showed even an ounce of racist or prejudicial behavior.

Dadryan:

DCU's equalizer against Real Madrid was scored by Esky. Shame how things are going for him these days.

Liverpool_SC:

I've got to disagree with you about Conrad. The only reason KC is not worse than San Jose is due to their defending (and this despite replacing Garcia with Wahl/Hohlbein and having both outside backs with less than 2 years of MLS experience at the position). Conrad deserves to be acclaimed as one of MLS's best defenders. I will say, though, that I'm glad you were willing to point out that Parkhurst is not playing as well as people are saying. I've been saying that since midway through last season. He's good, yes, but he's not this brilliant genius of defending most of the press says he is. I still have no idea how he won Defender of the Year last year over Suarez, who was head and shoulders above the rest of MLS's defenders.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 10, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Dear District of Columbia Government and Taxpayers,

Thanks you for the beautiful new stadium. Now **** off.

Sincerely,
The Washington Nationals

"Now everyone has buyer's remorse and can't believe this was such a bad deal. But many of these bells were rung," said D.C. Council member David A. Catania (I-At Large). "This whole process has happened because it was so hastily put together and because the city has not bothered to look out for its long-term interest, and there is going to be one issue after another for years to come."

Welcome to Greenbelt.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was Esky that had the goal @ Qwest. Did Dychenko get a card after being subbed in?
Or have I just been conditioned to cringe and expect a card every time he get's sent in?
Emo's sweet Ball to Razov for the Bender up into the corner was NICE!.!.

Posted by: Dadryan | July 10, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Interesting link above.
It'll all come out in the wash.
In my personal Opinion, I think we've almost reached our threshold for building out, and in the interest of the inevitable re-urbanization it would be foolish to not put our points of Leisure in the most central locations. We can always "go out" to the country right?
If not, we can all make a fun time of Possein' up and riding our human powered vehicles out to Greenbelt when we've all realized the only thing worth leaving your neighborhood for is the Futbal game.
Or maybe we can carpool?

Posted by: Dadryan | July 11, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 135 | July 10, 2008 11:44 AM

The guy 'helping him off the field' had no business being in Chicago's technical area in the first place. Of course no mention of that...I can't imagine someone might take a person with no right to be where he is as threatening though.../sarc

Also no mention of the police confirming the other BS claims from United fans that Blanco punched a cop.

Blanco tried to punch a ball and whiffed and Burch shoved a guy he had no direct involvement with to the ground. Both of them disgraced the game and got their just rewards: red card. Stop blowing s*** up into something it's not. You're starting to sound like RBNY fans.

Posted by: papa bear | July 11, 2008 5:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: papa bear | July 11, 2008 5:36 AM
===============
If you have seen the Comcast highlights, showed last night, Blanco was not kicking the ball, he clearly and pure intentionally hit really to Sim. It was just like baseball player hitting each other except he didn't run half the field. That was the first time I saw the highlights and it was shocking. Check out chicago tribune report linked into DCU website. Blanco apperantly was fighting with his team mate also recently. Yeah, no surprize there. Sims said, even the Chicago players came to him and appologize for Blanco's behavior for punching and trying to poke his eye. Sims even had scar on this eyes according to Tribune. Go figure. It's shame that, while it's good people talking but not with this kind of situation, incident is a horrible one.

Posted by: arlington4united | July 11, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

This isn't the first time Blanco has punched or elbowed someone in the gut or face as the latest montage on You Tube shows.

Posted by: Dadryan | July 11, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoUnited | July 10, 2008 3:46 PM
=============

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 10, 2008 4:03 PM

Oh yes good point I forgot it was an all start game and not the best XI

Posted by: GoUnited | July 11, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse