Tuesday Afternoon Kickaround

Good afternoon, Tenorio here, hope all's well out here in blog land. I'll put an official matchday blog up later today, but I thought I'd throw at least something up to keep the masses happy.

First off, here are the articles from this morning's paper: Zach Berman's preview and my Ben Olsen surgery sidebar.

As we prepare to see two rivals face off today in Boyds, there is an intriguing match-up in the semifinals, as we could see two locals face off. If you scroll to the bottom of that article, you'll see that Crystal Palace USA vs. D.C. United on July August 12 at RFK Stadium is a possibility -- provided both teams win. Crystal Palace will have to get through New England tonight.

A couple other links that caught my eye as I surfed the web this morning:

- Ronaldinho and Robinho will be looking for gold this summer in Beijing.

- The Women's Professional Soccer league have set their allocation process to begin the week of September 15.

- Andrei Arshavin was very good at Euro 2008, but was he better than Barca's 15 million euro offer?

- Richmond native Adam Cristman (UVA/New England Revolution) was named the MLS Player of the Week after scoring two goals in the Revolution's 2-1 victory over the L.A. Galaxy.

- Luiz Felipe Scolari has lots to say, including that he believes both Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba will remain at Chelsea. My favorite part about this link (and why I link to the main page here) is the picture of Scolari.

I'll be out at the SoccerPlex tonight for the game, and will try to get the game feed up sometime in the afternoon. One thing I'm excited to see tonight -- besides the obvious rivalry match-up -- is local product Mike Banner (Gonzaga, one year at Georgetown), who played in the same club, Team America Premier, as I played growing up. Banner scored twice for the Fire in their 4-1 victory over Cleveland City in third round of the Cup.

What are some of the things you'll be looking for tonight?

By Paul Tenorio  |  July 8, 2008; 12:12 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olsen Undergoes Another Surgery
Next: Matchnight: US Open Cup Quarterfinals

Comments

A United win is all that I am looking for...
If we advance will RFK be the site regardless of the opponent?

Posted by: jgildea | July 8, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Good to see some updates!

LOL @ the Scolari pic, nice one!!

United will win but it wont be easy!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 8, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

what kind of game is Zenit Petersburg playing?? 15 mill is a lot for an older player.

Posted by: SEP | July 8, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I posted this link to a story by Steinbog on TV ratings, including a brief reference to United's ratings, in an earlier thread, but I'll repost it here:

Here are two United-related threads on the Bog itself:

Posted by: tri-village | July 8, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Do we have a lineup for tonight, yet?

Let's see how serious this match is taken, and how they handle it with Chivas in town Sat.

Posted by: wmsiii | July 8, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

How old is this Banner kid? I swear to god we had one when I was at Gonzaga 1999-2003.

Posted by: Colm | July 8, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Great picture of Felipao Scolari. Possible caption: "No, actually, I am the Special One!"

Posted by: schmuckatelli | July 8, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

just a nit but if [...I mean WHEN) United makes it to the semis that game will be August 12th, rather than July 12th as stated. I freaked for a moment. :-)

Posted by: jwgreen40 | July 8, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Hoping for a scrappy United win tonight!
What else would I be looking for tonight?
How bout a live video feed from Boyds?
I got a litttle spoiled watching the USL feeds last week, come to think of it, a feed of the Sounders/Wizards match would be nice too.
How's Benny?

Posted by: Dadryan | July 8, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

jwgreen40, July instead of August got me too.

Posted by: sitruc | July 8, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

What will I be looking for?

A VIDEO FEED!

Posted by: giaco | July 8, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I always thought it was Germantown...

Posted by: RK | July 8, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Scolari is doing his Willy Wonka impression!

Posted by: MK | July 8, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

What are some of the things you'll be looking for tonight?

By Paul Tenorio | July 8, 2008;
==================================

-- creative blanco heckling, if he plays

-- a rest room

Posted by: OWNTF | July 8, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Adam Cristman on POTW honors. I enjoyed watching him play down in Charlottesville, and am glad to see him doing well in MLS.

Posted by: Ron | July 8, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

What are some of the things you'll be looking for tonight?

By Paul Tenorio | July 8, 2008;

==============================
==============================

tickets and beer; I doubt I'll find either.

Posted by: The_Whale | July 8, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

US Open Cup is more important than SuperLiga, although it'd be nice to destroy Chivas.

Given reports of Moreno/Gallardo/Tino injuries, I'd at least like to see Emilio/Fred and our starting defense.

Posted by: delantero | July 8, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Well done Tenorio. Well done.

Posted by: Dave | July 8, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I agree, winning the US Open Cup is more important than winning SuperLiga...but beating foreign teams is more important than beating Chicago or Charleston. Catch-22 for me...

Posted by: RK | July 8, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

The Whale -- I hear ya on the beer situation at the SoccerPlex. If it's any consolation, the food offerings are better than at RFK.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | July 8, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | July 8, 2008 2:02 PM

I think that sounds realistic. I bet Simms plays too.

Posted by: Dave | July 8, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

It appears that this time around, the only English-language live coverage will be the Limarzi/WFED feed. Have they fixed the technical problems from last week that had people switching to the Rochester station? (The USOC site doesn't indicate that any Chicago-area station will be involved in tonight's affair.)

Posted by: tri-village | July 8, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I always thought it was Germantown...

Posted by: RK | July 8, 2008 1:43 PM
=========================================

The area is called South Germantown, but it apparently is serviced by the Boyds post office.

Posted by: tri-village | July 8, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

If you don't have a ticket for tonight - they're almost gone. Apparently I got one of the last ones by calling the SoccerPlex and charging it. $25 + $3 service fee.

301.528.1480

Posted by: Kev | July 8, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Boyds is the new Raljon.

Posted by: RK | July 8, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Post article today on Nationals pathetic TV viewership. Any clue on how Nats audience compares to a Sat night DCU game on Comcast?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 8, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

The Olympic regs state that the teams involved "shall send FIFA a provisional list of players (three of whom shall be goalkeepers) at least 30 days before the opening match of the final competition." Since the first men's games are on August 7, that would be today. That helps explain this flurry of news about Robinho, Ronaldinho, Messi, Riquelme, our old friend Ryan Nelsen, etc. However, the US Soccer site simply says that we will hear from Nowak in mid-July. Is it possible that US Soccer will submit a roster to FIFA, but choose not to make it public? There is a later deadline (July 23) to divvy up the squad into the first 18 and the four alternates, but I think the pool has to be cut down to 22 as of today.

Posted by: tri-village | July 8, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Good call on the Scolari picture. All it lacks is a lightbulb above his head! And DadRyan, the Wiz-Sounders game is available for free on USLLive.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | July 8, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

It was great of Steinberg to research and write the tv ratings piece as a follow up to the huge argument that ensued after his blog about DC's Top Six Most Beloved Athletes. I think this article serves to resolve the false argument that soccer is just followed by a niche group and not as popular as baseball, hockey, and basketball.

Posted by: DCUMD | July 8, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Montgomery Co is full of Census-designated places, i.e. places that do not exist as a political entity but receive a name because of the convenience of data collection by the Census Bureau. These places include: Boyds, Germantown, Bethesda, and Silver Spring. Having no formal borders, it is impossible to tell where Germantown ends and Boyds begins. The Soccerplex in Boyds is located within the South Germantown Recreational Park. Have I confused you enough already? If not, I'll continue with North Potomac and North Bethesda.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 8, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

USOC broadcast info generally:

Posted by: tri-village | July 8, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Predictions:

NE Revs 3-1 CP Baltimore
FC Dallas 0-1 Charleston
Seattle 2-1 Kansas City

and finally...

DC 2-1 Chicago

(Still looking for that Fire jersey to wear, so's I can help the DCU winning cause! ;) )

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 8, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUMD | July 8, 2008 2:49 PM
==============

I thought the article served to inflame argumentative fans of each local sport.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 8, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Predictions:
NE Revs 3-1 CP Baltimore
====
I will go for shocking
NE Revs 1-2 CP Baltimore.

Everything else I agree.
Match between CP Baltimore and DC United at RFK would draw a HUGE noise around DC area. and Nats fans would cry like babies but still bash United fans.

Posted by: td | July 8, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

On the importance of this game as compared to saturday's match against Chivas Guadalajara, I do think it's a close call, but I'm going to take the long view here and say the game against the Goats is more important. DC's long-term brand recognition is more important than getting into the Concacaf Champions cup this year. Chivas has beaten us multiple times in the last two years, that team has a huge following in Mexico and the USA, and if we can play well and win, it'll be very good for our reputation at home and abroad. We have another opportunity to get into the Concacaf Champions League via the MLS season & playoffs, but another loss to Chivas Guadalajara will confirm in the eyes of MANY that MLS sucks and United stinks.

Posted by: David | July 8, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

David,

Nice name, and yeah I totally agree. It's very important to beat Chivas. A big win (by more than a goal) would be great for our club. It would be sweet if we beat Chivas 3 or 4 to nil. Honestly, with the chemistry our attacking players are starting to display (and for that matter a more consistent backline) we have a shot at producing a great result on Saturday.

Posted by: Dave | July 8, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

David I am with you all the way.

Posted by: td | July 8, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

====

Don't forget another local product: GK Nick Noble (Georgetown Prep/Bethesda Alliance)

Jon Busch is expected to play tonight, but Nick was in goal for the win against Cleveland.

Posted by: KeeperPat | July 8, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Go DC! We're up 2-1 in 2nd 1/2 OT playing 10v10. Blanco and Burch ejected.

Posted by: Mifflin | July 8, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm a little late to the party here, but I have to say that Barca offer seems way under market. Look at Aston Villa, rejecting fifteen million pounds for Gareth Barry. Surely, Arshavin is worth more on the open market than Barry. Fifteen million Euros sounds like a lot of money, but I guess it really is a lowball offer in the 2008 market.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | July 9, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse