Wambach Injury

Striker Abby Wambach, the USA women's best player, suffered a possible broken left leg during the first half of tonight's friendly against Brazil in San Diego, the Americans' final tuneup before the Olympics. Wambach has 99 international goals and was expected to be among the top players at the Summer Games in China. Details to come on the USSF Web site and Matchtracker.

Earlier this summer, midfielder Leslie Osborne and defender Cat Whitehill were ruled out of the Olympics after suffering serious knee injuries.

By Steve Goff  |  July 16, 2008; 11:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oly, All-Stars, Santino and Clint
Next: Wambach to Miss Olympics

Comments

The team will have to step up otherwise this could be a diaster!

Posted by: A Hardwick | July 16, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

what terrible timing, especially in a friendly. the U.S. will have a much tougher time finding goals during the Olympics, and it won't be the same watching them without her.

Posted by: jamie | July 16, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

That's aweful news... Hope Kai and Rodriguez step up if Abby can't play...

Posted by: Gooner | July 16, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Only because the USWNT has such a weak group, do they get out of the group now. I don't expect a medal for the US (men or women).

Luckily, Pia has implemented a system that doesn't solely rely on Abby.

This is very bad news...

With WUSA (or WPS) starting up next year and the draft in Sept (I think), I wonder if Abby allocation is held up until she's recovered.

Posted by: JSF | July 17, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

oh, one other comment, I wonder if Christie Welsh (on Wash Freedom) will get a call. She plays similarly to Abby.

I can't recall the reserve forwards (anyone). I don't mean Kai/ARod.

Posted by: JSF | July 17, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

I was there tonight. It was anything but friendly, and the ref did not control the game at all the first half. In the beginning of the game, the Brazilian keeper grabbed Abby's ankle and brought her down in the box. No call. After that it was a free for all until Abby got hurt and the ref decided she ought to participate.

Sat with A-Rod's family. Nice folks, shaken by the injury. Rumors in the stands were broken tibia and/or fibula. Not good,especially as long as hers are.

Women did not play well, in general. Ragged passes and bunching. Karli Lloyd had a good game and most of their shots. Kai's header was good enough for a win, but who cares? Won the friendly and lost the starting striker for the Olympics.

I know Christie and like her (as a person and her play) a lot, but she isn't listed in the 2008 player pool. Amy's mom said Lauren Cheney probably would get the call.

Posted by: LD | July 17, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

One more note...my son broke his tibia last summer. Took six months to heal completely. But it was as if he had never been injured almost immediately. A long bone break takes time, but the prognosis is a lot better than with joint injuries.

Posted by: LD | July 17, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

I was able to see a silver lining when she broke her toe before the WWC, not so much now. This is just bad timing. The team hasn't been completely one dimensional,but she was still a huge part of the teams success. I hope she has a speedy and full recovery. The match was out of control and once again, Brazil was anything but friendly, but that was not the cause of Abby's injury. Her attempted shot was a bit reckless and her going for it was from frustration, determination and certainty that the Brazilians would back away. She was pressing for 100.

Posted by: sitruc | July 17, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse

We are done for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: The Jim | July 17, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

i was there the re would not call anything until she got hurt i heard it was her shin or tibia or fibia

Posted by: timmy r | July 17, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GLB | July 17, 2008 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Barcelona must be paying Hleb some serious bread...

Posted by: Ron | July 17, 2008 6:49 AM | Report abuse

It was obvious to me from seeing it the first time live on TV that it was a leg break. I'm not sure why the announcers were so clueless....they spent like five minutes inflating the air cast.

dn

Posted by: Dave Nelson | July 17, 2008 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Damn.

Posted by: Ash | July 17, 2008 7:11 AM | Report abuse

It's official... She's out for 12 weeks. http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_7962629.html

Posted by: Gooner | July 17, 2008 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update. Hope she heals quickly.

Posted by: m | July 17, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

If Greg Ryan was still coach, USWomen would be toast b/c he just want to boot the ball forward and hope that Abbey would bull her way for a goal. But with Pia, it is more of a team play that wins the game.

Just before Abbey's injury I was saying that it seems that Abbey is playing like she is possessed. coming to help out on defense then running back up to help on offense. The mid field seemed to be missing. I said she would probably tire out soon. Then bam she got hurt. It looked like a broken shin, she would not move her leg...Abbey is a heck of a player and I really hope she recovers fully and is back as a Washington Freedom player next year.

Posted by: bad luck | July 17, 2008 7:33 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to see her make her comeback in a Freedom uniform.

Posted by: sitruc | July 17, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Wambach is a tremendous player. However, the outcome would indicate she made a poor decision to go in as hard as she did on a less than 50-50 ball during an exhibition game. Let's hear the outrage over this statement..."she's a true competitor" "she can't turn it on and off" "she goes hard all the time." At the end of the day, it was a poor decision.

Posted by: well... | July 17, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Tough break.

Posted by: Sam | July 17, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

If Greg Ryan were still coach, they'd have a team meeting to figure out a way to blame the injury on Hope Solo.

Here's to a speedy recovery for Abby Wambach.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | July 17, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Damn, Sam.

Posted by: sitruc | July 17, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Oh well. I'm paying attention to the men's team, anyway.

Posted by: RK | July 17, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

thought this was an interesting comment:

West Ham's players are said to be angry after being forced to fly economy class in two separate planes for a friendly in Canada against MLS team Columbus Crew. The MLS had told West Ham they would be flown business class but the travel firm they were using went bust. (The Sun)

Posted by: therealfan | July 17, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dave Nelson | July 17, 2008 7:01 AM
==============

I thought they were pumping up the tires on the gurney :-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 17, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Abby is my favorite US soccer player -- of either gender -- and losing her is a blow.

But, teams have been getting ready for us to play a certain way, which depends a lot on what Abby does up top that's unique to her. With the total wildcard Kai now in the mix as well as Hucles (who will probably be the revelation of the tournament), other teams won't have any idea how to play us.

I say we're causing more headaches to other coaches now than we were yesterday. Get well quick Abby!

Posted by: loosek | July 17, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Loosek: You are engaging in a bit of hyperbole, of course. If what you say were really true, then PS should have had a strategy of kicking Wambach off the team on the eve of the Olympics, even if she weren't injured, just to befuddle the competition.

Posted by: tri-village | July 17, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Are you sure Hope Solo didn't cause the injury? I didn't see the game, but the way Wambach always is harping on how she can't concentrate with Hope Solo around...maybe Wambach lost her concentration and got injured because Hope Solo was on the team.

Debbie

Posted by: Debbie | July 17, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

That's sad news.

I'll admit I haven't seen the US women much since the last WWC - hopefully their attack isn't as dependent on Wambach as it used to be. And I hope she makes a full recovery so she can help kickstart the new league.

Posted by: garbaggio | July 17, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Break a leg in the Olympics USA...oh wait. Whoops!

Posted by: Joe | July 17, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

i heard this morning that she broke her tibia and fibula that stinks she is my favorite

Posted by: pinkie | July 17, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse