Afternoon Updates

*From all indications, D.C. United's negotiations are proceeding smoothly with Liberian-Swiss goalkeeper Louis Crayton and a deal should be reached by early next week. Besides the financial issues, he would need to pass a physical and United would need to receive his International Transfer Certificate. I can't imagine we would see him in uniform until Aug. 16 at Chicago or four days later at New England.

Factoid: Crayton played for the FIFA World Stars, coached by Roy Hodgson and soon-to-be-former Galaxy boss Ruud Gullit (kidding, sort of), against a Nelson Mandela XI nine years ago in Johannesburg. Here's the World lineup:

Jorge Campos (Jacques Songo'o 46, Louis Crayton 86), Saleh Al-Dawood (Stig Bjornbye 46), Jeff Agoos, Branco (Claudio Suarez 46), Taribo West, Christian Karembeu, Dunga, Thomas Haessler, Eduardo Hurtado, Jean-Pierre Papin (Lubomir Moravick 46), Abedi Pele (Mustapha Hadji 46).

*My DVR setting for the USA-Japan Olympic match has betrayed me, so I will not be able to offer an assessment. The better news is that I have discovered the NBC Olympic Soccer Channel -- fantastic! Free of charge on my Comcast Digital cable system (Ch. 221 here), high definition, every men's and women's game. Right now I am watching a delayed broadcast of former MLSers Ryan Nelsen and Simon Elliott, along with Dartmouth's Craig Henderson and UC Santa Barbara's Michael Boxall, lead New Zealand's Oly-Whites against China.

*DCU's reserve match at New York, scheduled for next Monday, has been moved to Aug. 26. It will be played at Montclair State.

*A photo of Jaime Moreno in a Bolivian kit last night.

*Finally, clear your schedule next Wednesday evening for the second annual Barra Brava Mini-Golf Tournament to benefit the United for D.C. charity. The venue is TopGolf in Alexandria. Play begins at 7 p.m., pregame festivities begin at 6. Beware of gophers.

By Steve Goff  |  August 7, 2008; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU Back to Seattle?
Next: Olympic Poll

Comments

NBCOlympics.com offers free rewinds of all of this mornings matches.

Posted by: Landis | August 7, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"soon-to-be-former Galaxy boss Ruud Gullit"

And my money was on Alexi...

Posted by: RK | August 7, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

FREEZE, gopher!

Posted by: Carl Spackler | August 7, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I managed to wake up to watch the match live, but I'm honestly not sure how. I think I fell asleep in the 2nd half.

Posted by: Colm | August 7, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

does anyone know the soccer channel on direct tv. for the olympics?

Posted by: Chris | August 7, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

You can watch every game in its entirety on NBC.com

I set my alarm for 4:55 this morning and slept right through it so I went and watched it on NBC.com

video quality is good so it wasn't that bad.

Posted by: MZ | August 7, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Off-topic

Fulham signing Andy Johnson today has to push his Eddieness further down the food chain at Craven Cottage behind David Healy and Bobby Zamora, even with Diomansy Kamara, yes?

Posted by: AM | August 7, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"Off-topic

Is there a loan deal out there for Ed - hate to see him waste away on the bench there, playing 5 mins here and there."-AM

I've got one more for you, It looks like Clint Dempsey has been pushed down to the reserve team.

Posted by: Johnny | August 7, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Carl from "Caddyshack" may be one of the greatest characters of all time. Classic.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | August 7, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

That NBC Olympic Soccer channel is awesome. 1080i HD. Announcers in English. Clean feed with absolutely no ads, banner or otherwise. Not even during halftime when all you get is a quiet shot of the stadium. And nothing but soccer, soccer, soccer. You don't have to worry about them cutting away to show you synchronized swimming or ping-pong. Heavenly.

Posted by: Dave | August 7, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dave,
That is the Directv channel, right? I am so excited that it exists I may have to cut out early to see who they're showing! I looked at the Directv website but couldn't find any reference so feared we were not lucky enough to have it. Thank you!

Posted by: mez48 | August 7, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

How many more chances does Lalas get? I'd hate to see Ruud go and Lalas stay. I'd even put up with Lalas back in the booth for the good of the league.

Posted by: -K | August 7, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

be sure to click on the Olympic Ads over at BS.com which lead you to the NBCOlympics.com video+soccer sections.

Posted by: Drew-ROC | August 7, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't Kasey Keller playing for DCU? And why waste a international allocation on a GK when there are many good ones in the U.S?

Posted by: Billy B. | August 7, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, this your wife, huh? A lovely lady. Hey baby, you must've been something before electricity."

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 7, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: -K | August 7, 2008 3:25 PM

Not that I'm overly concerned with the Gals, but since we're talking about the good of the league... Then both Lalas and Gullit should go - and get nowhere near a broadcast booth when they do. I think that exile Siberia would be a good option for both of them.

Posted by: Kev | August 7, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Sweet, our new keeper was born in Bong Mines, Liberia.

Posted by: Jeff Spicoli | August 7, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Channel 221 is all well and good, except for those of us in the area without HD-capability.

*cough*

I do however wish the thank the inventor of the internet, for making sure I won't miss a soccer or basketball match this Games.

Posted by: B.A. | August 7, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I think that exile Siberia would be a good option for both of them.

Posted by: Kev | August 7, 2008 3:33 PM

How about here?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

------------
That's great. I didn't know because when there is no United show on Comcast or ESPN they don't exist for me. I am on Foxsoccer Chanell and GolTV 24 hours.
And also, thanks to those who point out NBC.com. I didn't know because there is no commercials that lead me to.

Posted by: arlington4united | August 7, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"when there are many good ones in the U.S?"

name one with overseas experience that is available right now. dc tried to get matt pickens and i guess the league didn't want to pay him enough.

Posted by: DCU UCD | August 7, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know if the soccer channel is available on Verizon Fios and if so what channel is it?

Posted by: Omar | August 7, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I have watched 2 soccer matches live on NBCOlympics.com and I am very impressed. It doesn't seem to suck up all the bandwidth and the quality is pretty good. I did get the occasional "buffering video..." message (say once per game). But overall, a very excellent production.

Posted by: Bart | August 7, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

on dish it's channel 98 for footie and channel 99 for b-ball.

Posted by: mizage | August 7, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

More kudos for the online video. Quality is outstanding. You can watch any game at any time, as far as I can tell.

DirecTv will turn on their HD Olympic channels tomorrow, supposedly. Look in channels 750-756, with 755 set for Soccer. Why they didn't turn it on when the actual Soccer started, I don't know...

Posted by: JkR | August 7, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Omar | August 7, 2008 3:54 PM
=====================

Somewhere around 900, just south of the Nigeria TV authority channel. I could run upstairs and check, but I'm too lazy.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 7, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I hate it when the DVR acts up. As stated above numerous times, every MNT game is available in it's entirety on NBCOlympics.com!

Watching the game, I really thought the Japanese deserved the win and we didn't have a lot of say in the outcome. It could have easily been 2-nil at halftime. Our passing was stale, possession was fleeting and it seems the only thing our defense did was count the missed opportunities of a more motivated team. If we are going to play 3 in the back, i would like to see 3 up top as well; especially against a japanese team that was really quick to the ball. Our midfield was so muddled, and you can't tell me having altidore start wouldn't be beneficial.

But we won, so let's count our blessings and try to get another win and lock up a quarterfinal berth!

Posted by: DudeAbides | August 7, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if this olympic soccer channel exists on COX Communications, can't seem to find anything.

Posted by: Thora | August 7, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

*Finally, clear your schedule next Wednesday evening for the second annual Barra Brava Mini-Golf Tournament to benefit the United for D.C. charity. The venue is TopGolf in Alexandria. Play begins at 7 p.m., pregame festivities begin at 6.********

Oh sure, have a party a mile from my house when I'm on vacation. My only consolation is that I'm missing this to be at Wembley on Sunday.

Posted by: Karen | August 7, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, I-270. I'll scan through those 900 channels when I get home. I would have never thought to look for it on those nosebleed channels

Posted by: Omar | August 7, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Goff, the USA game should be viewable online at the NBColympics.com website if you so desire since your DVR farted.

Posted by: kevin | August 7, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

As a Fulham fan, some answers to the EJ and Deuce questions:
1) Yes, EJ is far down the list (although for now he's ahead of Kamara, who is out until the new year with an injury). The general feeling is that EJ is not ready for the EPL and would benefit from a loan deal. Don't be surprised to see it happen.
2) On Clint, he probably wont play much but he probably will be on the bench a decent share of the time--he is more than a squad player.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Really? Dempsey is out of favor at Fulham? I'm surprised, he was one of their bright spots for portions of last season. What happened?

The lack of club progress for our national team players is discouraging :-/

Posted by: Kev | August 7, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Omar | August 7, 2008 3:54 PM

==========
There are two, and I think they are channels 896 and 897, but I'm not positive. No FIOS in my office. :(

Posted by: jpeace121 | August 7, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome.

****

Posted by: B.A. | August 7, 2008 3:44 PM

Posted by: Al Gore | August 7, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Clint Dempsey is going to sign with the Sounders.

Posted by: dadryan | August 7, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: -K | August 7, 2008 3:25 PM

____________________________________________

Be careful of what you ask for. Wasn't it Gen. R.E. Lee who once said something along the lines of, "If Lincoln keeps on changing generals, sooner or later he's going to find one who knows how to win."

Posted by: MoCo Joe | August 7, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if Comcast is carrying the Olympic soccer channel for non-HD digital subscribers? I'm in Arlington if that makes a difference.

I get Telemunndo, MSNBC and some of the other channels but it would have been interesting to tape Holland v Nigeria.

I got up at 445 this morning to see the US game and I'm still kind of grumpy that I could have slept in for 10 more minutes.

Posted by: garbaggio | August 7, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

If you want to sign up to play at TopGolf go to barraminigof@gmail.com

Cost is $15 for Barra members, $20 for non-members per person. We'll also have a raffle, more info here...

Posted by: Chico | August 7, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Thank you Steve Goff for the mention.

Posted by: Chico | August 7, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

ITC's are only "traded" from one association to the other, the clubs usually never get to see them.

In most European Countries they will instead be given a soccer passport of some sorts from the FA.

Posted by: Ben | August 7, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

If comes on comcast hd it should come on regular too. They show the same thing.

Posted by: td | August 7, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

boy that us soccer game this morning was about as exciting as.........

Posted by: castroviejo | August 7, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Omar | August 7, 2008 3:54 PM

On FIOS the Soccer channel is 897 and the similar all basketball channel starting Saturday is 896.

Posted by: TH | August 7, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Kev:

I don't think Dempsey is out of favor. It's just that Fulham has bought a lot of players. He'll see time as a wide player more than last year. Don't worry about him just yet.

***

DC United currently has a full roster of 28 players. All 18 senior roster spots and all 10 developmental spots are filled. This means that, to sign Louis Crayton (who, at 30, is definitely going to be a senior roster player), someone's got to go.

The only 2 things I can see happening here are either United cuts loose everyone's favorite player, Rod Dyachenko, or Dom Mediate is put on IR due to concussions. Let's all start rooting for the former.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 7, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Have to think that Mediate goes on season-ending IR. His playing time would be reduced with Guerrero on board and Quaranta healty - plus the issues that others have had with concussions (Gros, Esky) may steer DCU towards the IR route with Mediate.

Posted by: Oliver | August 7, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine we would see him in uniform until Aug. 16 at Chicago
==================
how big is he? he may come in handy for the bench-clearing brawl

Posted by: OWNTF | August 7, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

how big is he? he may come in handy for the bench-clearing brawl

Posted by: OWNTF | August 7, 2008 8:08 PM

"...so how big'a boy are ya?"

Posted by: Roy D. Mercer | August 7, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

You need to watch out if you set your DVR to what Comcast tells you is the game time and duration on the HD Soccer channel. Most of the matches are given 90 minutes total in the listings, so you have to add quite a bit of time at the end, especially because the matches before are going to run longer than it says, too.

Posted by: wmsiii | August 7, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info on the oly soccer channel! I wish I had bothered to check earlier in the day. I guess I know what I will be doing all day on the weekend.

US got lucky with the officiating. And Argentina did too. Lots of close games. I watched the first half of HON-ITA just now and practically put me to sleep.

Posted by: Glenn | August 7, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Oliver:

I figure that's what will happen, but that doesn't stop me from hoping Dyachenko is gone and that Mediate can return as a useful late sub when we're up. We won't have a shortage of games for him to play.

OWNTF:

According to Wikipedia, he's 5' 11 1/2". Yes, it mentions that 1/2"

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 7, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

In case anyone hasn't seen the match yet, UniversalHD will be replaying the USvJPN match at 10 PM.

Posted by: Glenn | August 7, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko bashing has gotten totally out of hand. He has never been the worse United player on the pitch. I remember making a concerted effort to watch him in one match in which he lost the ball and made errant passes no more often than the sainted Jaime Moreno, but to read Big Soccer the next day you would think he was the second coming of Thor Lee. In some matches (e.g., at Soccerplex) he has been among the best United players on the pitch. And I have talked to United players who praise him highly. No, I think Mediate will be the one to drop off the roster and that saddens me, because I thought he was a very useful player.

Posted by: Hedbal | August 7, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

If Dempsey drops behind that ignorant mug Healey that would be a disgrace. Healey and his orange order flute dance should go back to the championship (or league 1, wherever Leeds are drowning currently) where he belongs. Not a quality player and a dispicable human being.

Posted by: dtd | August 8, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

dtd. a personal hatred to healey there?

Posted by: lawalawa | August 8, 2008 6:58 AM | Report abuse

In some matches (e.g., at Soccerplex) he [Dyachenko] has been among the best United players on the pitch.

Posted by: Hedbal | August 7, 2008 11:13 PM
============
Which matches are you talking about? I was at both USOC matches at the Plex and Dyachenko did not impress me.

I've been one of his critics on this blog, and I think I've been pretty fair in stating that he should not be the first choice to back up Gallardo. I don't know what Soehn sees during practice, but those qualities don't show up during the game.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 8, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

The Sainted Jaime Moreno? Your hatred/jealousy of Moreno is well documented on BigSoccer. Dyachenko's name doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Jaime's.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | August 8, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know if this mysterious Olympic soccer cannel exists on Cox Cable?

Posted by: J | August 8, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Dyachenko should play forward. He was the best DC player in his short stint at that position in the reserve game. With Doe out a bit longer maybe Rod will get a chance to sub in for Jaime or Luciano in the coming games. When Gallardo is out I think it would be worthwhile to see Jaime at a-mid and Rod at forward a bit...

I agree Mediate is (unfortunately) a better option to be removed from the active roster for the Liberian goalie.

Did anyone ever find out what number the Olympic soccer channel is for non-HD Comcast subscribers in Arlington?

Posted by: garbaggio | August 8, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse