Belgium-Nigeria, Brazil-Argentina and Chapines

Tuesday's Olympic semifinals:

Belgium vs. Nigeria, 6 a.m. ET
Brazil vs. Argentina, 9 a.m. ET (If he arrives in time, Dan Steinberg is planning to provide commentary on his blog.)

I've seen conflicting information on TV coverage. I am guessing that the first game is on MSNBC, the second on Telemundo. Aw, heck, just watch the Olympic Soccer Channel and get both matches live back to back.

Your pre-game, in-game and postgame commentary is welcome.

On the World Cup qualifying front, you can read my Guatemala national team feature by clicking here.

By Steve Goff  |  August 18, 2008; 10:18 PM ET
Categories:  Olympics , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arena Takes Over Galaxy
Next: Good Morning, Guatemala

Comments

I got nothing...

I was traveling and missed all the prelims. Seems a shame that Brazil and the Argies won't meet in the final. That would have been historic and unforgettable.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | August 18, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, 'cause it'd be a shame to see an underdog get a chance at Olympic gold. I'd much rather watch guys who are already making tons of money play tactical soccer.

Posted by: spectre | August 18, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

As for an underdog, Nigeria won the last one...

Posted by: RK | August 18, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

thanks steve, hope your still enjoying yourself.
The Post says you're doing a live chat on Wednesday @ 1...
Is that a typo, or will you somehow be doing a q&a from Gaute?
Go USA!
Go United!

Posted by: dadryan | August 18, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

@RK -
As for an underdog, Nigeria won the last one...

==========================================
Actually Argentina won the last gold, Nigeria did win in '96

Love my Oly soccer channel.

Posted by: JSF | August 18, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

GUATE!!!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 18, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

You can watch both games on Telemundo if you dont mind passionate commentary instead of the regular "its in the net... what a goal" commentary.
lol

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 18, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

VAMOS LAS MANTARRAYAS!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

No chat this week. We've moved it to next Wednesday.

Posted by: Goff | August 19, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

ten-four
over and out
thanks Goff,

Posted by: dadryan | August 19, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Great story on Guatemala's World Cup aspirations and soccer culture. Nice to get a snapshot of their passion for the game.

Posted by: Ash | August 19, 2008 6:33 AM | Report abuse

That's what I get for not fact-checking.

Posted by: RK | August 19, 2008 7:09 AM | Report abuse

NBC misses the goal by being on commercial. Nice. That was 2-0...

Now, 3-0.

Posted by: RK | August 19, 2008 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Don't count on Telemundo!!!!!!

They've cut away from recent Olympic broadcasts in progress to show infomercials instead. If you try to record Argentina - Brazil on Telemundo you might get hours worth of infomercials about how a special "not available in stores" type of Chinese tea can increase your sexual potency and make you smarter!

On Saturday they cut away from Argentina - Holland and had done so earlier in a US women's game too!

Posted by: garbaggio | August 19, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Final 4-1. The last Nigerian goal was really nice -- long distance, inside of the post.

Posted by: RK | August 19, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Ah, the capriciousness of tournament soccer. Nigeria will be playing for silver or gold. Anyone think they're the best or second best team in the tourney?

Kudos to them, they've grabbed their opportunity...

Posted by: JkR | August 19, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Way to go Nigeria!!

Saw the first half of the Nigeria-Belgium game, and at that point it looked like Belgium wanted no part of that game. I'm not sure if it because they left it all on the field playing the little Azzuri (it's my understanding that they did play a significant amount of that game a man down) or if their bunker-counter tactic backfired. Either way they looked really flat in the first half. Man did they make Nigeria look good - knocking the ball around and making sweet runs. It was a fun first half, and it sounds like it shaped up to be an even better second.

The big guns are up next. Curse this 9 - 5 (or in my case 7 - 3:30) for I shall miss a big one. Oh well, VAMOS albicelestes - here's hoping that they deny Brazil that one trophy/medal that they starve for.

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

American players and coaches need to learn from Nigerians how to shoot and how run. Great play.
While we are greatful that MSNBC brings football games live on tv it is very annoying to interrupt with stupid commercials it just kill the whole excitment mood. I know they want money to feed the fat necks but common it is not like the junky sports.
And why these commentators are like in classroom instructors with their comments. Are they intend to casual viewers? Because they suck.

Posted by: td | August 19, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

and once again we see the regional influence of MLS. MLS is making the whole continent better by providing both PT and a springboard (as well as a retirement destination for people like Ruiz) this is a good thing, we want Canada, Guatemala, El Salvador and the other continental minnows to be better. a CONCACAF dominated by Mexico, the US and Costa Rica is getting dull and holding back the US team. walkovers are fun in the early rounds, but the hexagonal should be a serious fight. that's how you end up winning Cup Finals games.

Posted by: northzax | August 19, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

What's worse is that the commercials are promos for the station -- they aren't even making money from them.

Posted by: RK | August 19, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson has dropped off the radar for a few months, been trainin' with the Big Boys of Mighty Fulham. What are the chances that he's developed a bit more composure and skill to finish at least one of the 5 or 6 chances he will get tomorrow night?

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

anyone watching Argie v Brazil game please update us. Stucked at work. Curse.

Posted by: td | August 19, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

30th minute still nothing.

Posted by: dadryan | August 19, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Brazil sure are hacks ain't they?

Posted by: dadryan | August 19, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I missed the first ten minutes but I think Argentina has created more chances than Brazil. 44th minute.

Posted by: dadryan | August 19, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

1 minute extra time...

Posted by: dadryan | August 19, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm watching on the Oly soccer channel. So I'm getting the live feed. That "together" song is driving me to drink at 10AM. And not that I would ever accuse the Chinese of infringing on intellectual property, but the song sounds like it's been spliced for the melodies of two other songs, one from Mandonna and the chorus of "Cum on feel the noize."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I've been watching the internet stream of Brazil/Argentina, NBC isnt providing any commentary or commercials (it's great!). Strange part is, during halftime they keep a shot of the stadium and play the ambient noise, which happens to be some crowd noise and the soundtrack to "High School Musical." The stadium speakers didn't just play one song, they have just gone through a good chunk of the soundtrack.

Posted by: garret | August 19, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I've got the streaming, no commercial internet version running on my laptop next to me. The halftime highlights they just had showed it to be quite a physical match, with Argy attacking but being met with a physical, if slightly disorganized Brazilian defense. Argy skill in abundance in the clips, not so much the Brazilians. Wonder if that changes any in the second half.

Ronaldinho has looked dangerous the times he's been on the ball (that I've seen), but isn't seeing the ball enough.

Posted by: JkR | August 19, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Familiar with the highschool musical soundtrack eh, garret?
father of tweens, or...
jus playin'.

Posted by: dadryan | August 19, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Argentina Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!!!!

Posted by: dadryan | August 19, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

was that a handball?

Posted by: dadryan | August 19, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

1-0 Argentina

53' Driven cross from De Maria on the left. Redirected by Aguero with his chest.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Balboa and JP are calling it an hand ball based on the slo mo replay.

Brazil comes back with a good chance.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Neither team pushing the action. Much too measured.

and then, boom, gol Argentina. Arg #5 pushes a hard cross into net with his, um, elbow. Tucked neatly to his side, not flailing...

Posted by: JkR | August 19, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

lil' sisters... Camp Counselor... Yes, I know it.

Posted by: garret | August 19, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Argentina 2-0.

Messi dribles through the top of the box. plays it to Mascherano (?) on the right who centers it for Aguero. His second.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Arg 2-0. Arg forwards queuing up to have a go at the juicy cross...

Posted by: JkR | August 19, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Pato in. Too late?

Posted by: JkR | August 19, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

VAMOS ARGENTINAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

THanks for the updates guys !!!!

Posted by: 135 | August 19, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

How much time is left? Is it too soon to say "Brazil, no Gold for you" ala the Soup Nazi?

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Ahhh. The HIgh School Musical soundtrack. That would explain the synthetic, pre-fab sound. ABC/Disney must be happy for the free ads on NBC.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Quack!

Posted by: Pato | August 19, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Gaah! Brazil scores! No pulled back! The Duck had waddled offside!

(Pato standing offside position while a free kick was clanging off the post...)

Posted by: JkR | August 19, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Pato should've ducked.

Posted by: RK | August 19, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Pato should've ducked.

Posted by: RK | August 19, 2008 10:26 AM

Very well played SIR!!!!

Posted by: 135 | August 19, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Messi goes 1 v 5 in the Brazil box. Brazil over matched but manage to clear....

Posted by: JkR | August 19, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Argentina wins a PK. Aguero taken down.

Riquelme slams it in. 3-0

Brazil will play for Bronze.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Penal! Looks to be correct, but barely! Commence arguing!

Riquelme to take....

boom, easy.

3-0

Posted by: JkR | August 19, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Strange, my schadenfreude for Brazil's lack of Olympic gold in soccer is leaving me with a slightly guilty feeling...

I'll get over it. Go Argentina!!

I think a final with the previous gold medalists will be much better anyways.

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | August 19, 2008 8:56 AM
..........................................

But that is precisely what they are supposed to be doing. The Olympics represent an opportunity for sports fans to be exposed to sports that they don't normally follow. For instance, I benefit from "instruction" in, say, team handball. It is unrealistic to think that they would make an exception for one sport, such as soccer. Further, shouldn't we want to draw in new fans?

Posted by: The Jeff | August 19, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Arg possesses the ball, the Brazilians kick at them.

Finally after a bursting 60 yard dash with the ball, Brazilian scythes down the Arg dude, instant Red Card says the dude in Orange.

Posted by: JkR | August 19, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Straight red to Lucas for tripping Mascherano on his long run.

Dunga now sending his resume to AEG, NYRB, and Kronke.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Replay. Another red for Brazil for a (to use JkR's term) scythe on Mascherano again?

JkR ought to have a large working vocabulary after writing all those Harry Potter books.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Lucas' red card may have been harsh. Thiago Neves' however, was justified.

Posted by: Red Devil | August 19, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Second Redcard for Brazil. Little harsh perhaps, but they have no choice. Seems the only way to get the ball back is to kick them, and hope they win the free kick....

Posted by: JkR | August 19, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Sure would love to be in Buenos Aires tonight.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | August 19, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Dunga now sending resume to Real Maryland, Harrisburg City Islanders, and Scooer Association of Montgomery (do Brazilians play sharks and minnows?).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 19, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Argentina's possession game makes the vaunted Brazilians look like muggles...

;)

Posted by: JkR | August 19, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow!!

Brazil down 3-0 and two men? What is happening in thw world?

For those of you who are actually witnessing this "thrashing" is Argentina THAT good? Sounds like they're making Brazil seem ordinary.

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Let's see, 3 goals, 2 sending off's bunches of yellows, some Arg time wasting.

Yep, that adds up to ONE minute of extra time...

Which goes quickly.....Final.

Posted by: JkR | August 19, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Get this -- I would watch the Olympic Soccer Channel, but when I called Time Warner Cable (the only cable choice here) to inquire if I could receive it, they actually told me that my area had not been upgraded yet, and that I should be able to get it when the upgrade is complete in October! Ha, ha! Gee, thanks. I'll be all set for 2012.

For those of you who have it -- enjoy!

Posted by: texassoccerfan | August 19, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

JkR the ref is probably ending this one to prevent someone from being stretchered off.

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Yes, it was a comprehensive dismantling of Brazil. The samba boys at 6's and 7's once Arg grabbed the lead.

'dinho disconsolate after wards. It wasn't lack of desire by the Brazilians, it was lack of pelota....

Posted by: JkR | August 19, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 10:53 AM

++++++++++++++++++++

You're right, and he was right to do it. But it's always amusing when they demonstrate how much of their personal judgment actually goes into it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Ouch!!

The next Argentina-Brazil WCQ (I think it will be in Argentina) has to be a MUST WATCH EVENT now!

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Joga Bonito!

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Go Belgium!!!

Posted by: Bronzo | August 19, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if the disconsolate squad can find any comfort in cross-dressing sex workers in that Communist country.

Posted by: OWNTF | August 19, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

So do you think Brazil will release it's more prominent players back to their club teams after this loss, or do the big guns stay and play for bronze? I mean a bronze Olympic medal is nothing to sneeze at, but is that something that Brazil will still go guns a'blazing for?

Posted by: Kosh | August 19, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Kosh: The bronze metal match is only 72 hours away. I suspect that club teams can wait that long. And the Canarinho senior MNT's next WC qualifying match is nearly three weeks away, so they can wait, too.

Posted by: The Jeff | August 19, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

The real question is does Dunga stay on as coach after this failure. Fans were already calling for his head prior to this tournament. I liked Dunga as a player but the team hasn't shown any creativity in attack and fouled way too much. As the "great" Marcelo Balboa would say (over and over again), "they didn't play with flair!"

Posted by: Omar | August 19, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, for the bronze it'll be a clash between Belgium - Brazil.
Brazil already having defeated the Belgians once in the group phase.
However it was only 1 - 0. The disappointment of not getting gold will probably be bigger for the Brazilians, as the Belgians never really expected a shot at winning medals at all. I still hope to see some good action.

As for the finals. That will probably be great, i think.
The Nigerians have some play. They play with a weird rhythm, and so confusing their opponent with sudden rushes. I'm guessing this works great for a slower opponent like Belgium but it'll probably backfire on Argentina.

Posted by: Nyco | August 19, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

It all started with the Joga Bonito Mojito comment last night OWNTF, you sir are on Fire!
I would agree with JKR that it wasn't the lack of desire but the lack of Pelota.
And Garret, I was just Drake and Joshin':)

Posted by: dadryan | August 19, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Marcelo Balboa is probably the worst commentator in the history of the World, yes the WORLD!!! Crap defender, crap announcer, one good goal in his career. Please shut your mouth and go away.

Posted by: Mocker | August 19, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Brazil is not a very scary team at all, they look so ordinary today, and in many of their most recent games.

Posted by: Locke | August 19, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't it Balboa who had that near miss bicycle kick off a corner in '94?

But I agree, his commentating has been bad, redundant, and only gets better with the volume turned all the way down.

Posted by: Ol' Shin Guard | August 19, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse