Bradley to Moenchengladbach

USA midfielder Michael Bradley has been transferred from Dutch club Heerenveen to Borussia Moenchengladbach in Germany, his New York-based agent, Ron Waxman, confirmed to the Insider this morning. Terms of his new contract were not made available. Bradley, 21, is expected to join his new club following the USA World Cup qualifiers against Cuba and T&T.

Both clubs are reporting the deal on their Web sites here and here.

From what I am told by secondary sources, Stuttgart was initially the club most interested, with Cologne and Hamburg expressing some interest. Middlesbrough was a longshot at best.

What do you think of the move?

By Steve Goff  |  August 31, 2008; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United-Red Bulls, the Aftermath
Next: The Good, the Bad, the Coyote Ugly

Comments

Finally!

I suppose its good...good league, of course...

Posted by: RK | August 31, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Kasey Keller's old team. Could be a good move. He'ss still be getting Dutch coaching which might help ease the transition. Just hope that they don't end up being bottom dwellers for the whole season and manage to stay in BL 1.

Posted by: noname | August 31, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Not familiar with anyone in their midfield. Captain is oldy Oliver Neuville and he can partner up with Rob Friend for a North American duo. They just beat Werder Bremen 3-2.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

It's a good move for him. 'Gladbach has great coaching and a budding star in Marko Marin. Should be an overall great situation for Bradley.

Posted by: Ryan | August 31, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else see that Yannick Reyering is back at UVa -- as a kicker for the football team?

Posted by: RK | August 31, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Is 'gladbach in the top division?

I thought they got relegated when Keller was leaving.

In reserve team news, DC United beat Red Bull reserves 2-1. I believe both DC goals may have been from Cordeiro, NY scored first on a PK from Cichero (who was suspended from last night's game).

Ben Olsen played the 1st half. Doe played the last 30 minutes. Quavas Kirk was subbed out with an injury to his left ankle area with just a few minutes left.

I think DC used about 5 different trialists at various times (both starting forwards and several of the later subs).

Posted by: garbaggio | August 31, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update Garbaggio. Did any of the trialist forwards look good? (Fingers crossed)

Posted by: DCUMD | August 31, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Keller can return and we can call them Moenchengladbamerica?

Posted by: Dan in FL | August 31, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Steve - Any word whether Gustav will have any affect on the match against Cuba? Some areas of the island got hit pretty hard yesterday.

Posted by: Falc | August 31, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Isnt bach in the 2nd division? Boom-des-lea-GA! 2?

any one can confirm that for me? and if so why move to a second division team in another league? Doesnt make sense, if stuggart wanted him then hell go with it!

all I have to say is "eh!"

Posted by: TheWashdipsSince88 | August 31, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

never mind its first division

good for him!
Ill shut up now!

"IM NOT SINGIN, IM NOT SINGIN.. ANYMORE!!" (ref: Rangers fans)

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | August 31, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Does Bradley get the castle?

Posted by: RK | August 31, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Newly-promoted Numancia up 1-0 at halftime against visiting Barcelona on Gol TV.

Posted by: FC | August 31, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a solid move. A move to Stuttgart would be a bit more dangerous at this stage because they have more depth ahead of him in midfield than Gladbach. My only concern is that he was getting regular playing time both in Holland and in the UEFA Cup for Heerenveen.

Posted by: Jared | August 31, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Moenchengladbach hasn't done too well lately, but its a team with some pedigree. Plus it improves his chances for playing time. If he can get into the starting XI and play against Bayern and Stuttgart then he'll be going up against better competition than anyone else on the national team. (Clint getting subbed in occasionally doesn't really count)

RK beat me to my initial thought. Bradley needs to get his hands on the title to that castle.

Well done, son.

Posted by: KirkBhoy | August 31, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Dang it! I had just learned to spell "Heerenveen."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 31, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Friend also came Heerenveen like Bradley did.

Posted by: GusBus | August 31, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Falc | August 31, 2008 1:14 PM
.........................................

Havana was close enough to get heavy rain, but the pitch now has a week to dry out. The more relevant news is that Hanna is now expected to turn north before getting anywhere near Havana. Since an encounter with Hanna would have taken place within 48 hours or so before kickoff, that could have been a real problem.

Posted by: The Jeff | August 31, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

didn't this Borrussia team just move up for the 2nd division in Germany??

Posted by: ricky | August 31, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I would have loved to have seen a Stuttgart move happen. Hopefully, they'll keep tabs on him and his progress with 'Gladbach.

Posted by: Jamie Z. | August 31, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Who can pronounce Bradley's new team?

Jusssttt listen to that silence...

Posted by: Kevin | August 31, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm delighted, as RBNY gets a cut of the transfer fee, which we can use against the salary cap.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 31, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Off topic-i have comcast cable. The onscreen guide for goltv ALWAYS says, in spanish, "teams to be determined". It makes it impossible to plan to tape anything. Is it just goltv can't get its act together to tell comcast its schedule. It is a pain.
Anyone else have this problem?

Posted by: pigman sweet | August 31, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Pigman,
I have that problem all the time and I'm in MA. I can't figure out why GolTV can't get it right. They have the schedule announced on their website in advance. I usually check their website and then set a manual recording for the block that I want to watch with my DVR.

Posted by: Jared | August 31, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Just go to goltv.tv...

Posted by: RK | August 31, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Who can pronounce Bradley's new team?
Jusssttt listen to that silence...
Posted by: Kevin | August 31, 2008 4:59 PM
=====================

In American it's Munichgladback.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 31, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Rk and jared-yeah i'll check the website, thanks. It is just that I am an incredibly lazy person--i am, after all, a "pigman".

The other problem with goltv is when I record a game I can't fast forward through it. It always jumps to the end of the game. Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Posted by: pigman sweet | August 31, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

FWIW goltv tends to have a problem in the beginning of the season -- last year was worse, because of contractual issues in Spain beyond their control.

Posted by: RK | August 31, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

It's a good move for Bradley as the German game is much more free flowing than the English Premier League. Plus, we will get to see him play on GolTV. the team has a long and storied history and only served one year in the 2nd Bundesliga bouncing right back up. I believe their technical director is Christian Ziege who got the game winner against the US in the 2002 World Cup match that we lost 1-0.

Posted by: Orange14 | August 31, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I DEMAND an answer because there is no issue on the earth more important than my ability to tape and watch soccer. Ignore me at your own peril, soccer insider community.

Posted by: pigman sweet | August 31, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

*crickets*

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Blanco finally connects with McBride on what will likely be the first of many many goals.

The Chicago Houston game seems like its being played in a different league than the Red Bulls DC game.

How do we compete in this league?

Posted by: And so it begins | August 31, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Michael Ballack scored against the US in the 2002 Cup..

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

off topic:
but.. Did we ever own rights to Andrew Jacobson.
Who else remembers him?
How is he doing? Can he ever come back?

Posted by: Spartan | August 31, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

'Gladbach's division?

Wow - take a deep breath, open a new tab, and find it on your favorite general site (ESPN soccernet, Fox Soccer, Goal TV, whatever). Then post your comment, which hopefully is more informed and substantive after learning what freakin' division the team is in!

Posted by: Modibo | August 31, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Spartan -

Last year Jacobson had a half-year contract with Lorient, but it looks like he's been resigned and is riding the bench so far this year.

Posted by: Modibo | August 31, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous - I hear them too. I spent half an hour on my patio last night recording them. Beautiful music with the trains in the distance and the occasional sirens... best heard in stereo though.

Posted by: Modibo | August 31, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Good move for Bradley. Borussia Moenchengladbach is a good solid club with a long history. At the moment, they're in the middle of the Bundesligia first division; a point ahead of Bayern Munich. That's not saying a whole lot since the season just started, but lets hope Bradley can help them stay there.

Posted by: Curious | August 31, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

On a different note, it was good to Olsen play today in the reserve match but he seemed a little tentative. Following the match he seemed to waddle more than walk. To me, it looks like it's likely to be a while before he's truly ready but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Posted by: Curious | August 31, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

My prediction is that with Bradley's help, Borussia get relegated.

Good luck, Michael.

Posted by: Bristol | August 31, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Crap. Now I have to start watching the Bundesliga. On the bright side, at least I can watch the Bundesliga.

Posted by: Gary B. | September 1, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

That's good old Bristol for you, never a positive thing to say about anyone. He must be a Metrodonkey fan.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 1, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

goltv game info comes up on RCN. it's got to be a comcast problem

Posted by: pindar | September 1, 2008 2:28 AM | Report abuse

This is so awesome! Es gibt nur eine Borussia...eine Borussia! Ja wir schwoeren Stein und Bein auf die Elf von Niederrhein!!!:D

Posted by: BigWave | September 1, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

i'm with you BIGWAVE. i am so excited he is joining "meine lieblings manschaft"! the team that used to be the home of "genghis khan" look-a-like, ewald lienen!

Posted by: birdy | September 1, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

...oh, and one more thing: please do NOT google ewald lienen and click on "images". you will probably see something horrific (of course, now EVERYONE is going to google "ewald lienen"!)

Posted by: birdy | September 1, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

No, people, birdy is serious. Think Eduardo's injury, but with a cut to the leg. Whoa.

As for Bradley, I think this is a good move, as Moenchengladbach are a team with a good pedigree and room for more than one breakout talent. He'll get more chance of playing time at M'gladbach than Hamburg or Stuttgart.

Posted by: BundesligaRaRa | September 1, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Bradley's going to a back of the pack club with a decent history.

I'm not sure he could of gone anywhere better, but I think other than the exposure against better teams, it is a bit of a lateral move. Maybe a team like a Stuttgart, Bremen, Schalke or Munich might see something in him and purchase him after a year or two. He might have to fight for playing time on one of those teams, but 'gladbach's closer to an elevator club than they are to being in the top half. Though they have improved a lot this offseason.

Posted by: Chimaera | September 2, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse