Clavijo's Status.....

[updated]

Through various contacts, here is what I have been able to piece together on the Fernando Clavijo situation:

Clavijo was called into a meeting with Rapids executives yesterday, fully expecting to be fired. Instead, he was given the dreaded vote of confidence and told he will remain the coach for the end of the season. His contract expires this year, so barring an extraordinary turnaround by the Rapids, Clavijo's fourth season in Denver will almost certainly be his last. Will the Rapids make a move this winter for Scotsman John Spencer, their former forward who has spent three seasons as a Houston assistant?

[update] A Rapids official says that, other than their standard Tuesday meeting, there was no separate discussion with Clavijo about his status. "It 100 percent did not happen," he said.

By Steve Goff  |  August 13, 2008; 4:24 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Keller, Cory, Clint, Crystal and Cuscatlan (North)
Next: Serious Matters

Comments

i think spencer will make a great coach

Posted by: steve-o | August 13, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

It's definately time for him to go. They must not have found anyone available to replace him on short notice - because his coaching sure hasn't been worth a vote of confidence. He's a nice guy, but he seems to have no idea how to put a team together and keep it motivated.

Posted by: Hacksaw | August 13, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

If they're going to go after Spencer, this is the right move. Houston won't let anybody speak to him until after the season, so they might as well wait until then.

Firing Clavijo now isn't the answer. But then, hiring him never was the answer, either.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | August 13, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

So basically they told him that they are too cheap to pay him and someone else for a few months, know that the playoffs are a crapshoot and hope he will have his office packed up before the final game?

Posted by: Brian | August 13, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"the dreaded vote of confidence"

Nice one, Steve. I think it means "we haven't narrowed down our list of candidates yet."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 13, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

That's cool that you talked to Clavijo Goff, and he told you "I expected to get fired" when he walked into a meeting with Rapids executives.

Fernando must not have much confidence in himself.

Posted by: Fired? | August 13, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Isn't this a bit of déja vu? I seem to remember hearing something right around this time last season that the Rapids weren't happy with Fernando, but didn't want to fire him because they would have had to pay the remainder of his contract as well as the new coach's salary.

Does anybody wonder why Rapids fans are so few and far-between?

Posted by: Kenobi | August 13, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I have not spoken to Fernando. What you've read is what I've been able to piece together.

Posted by: Goff | August 13, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I think I claimed in another post that I'd be willing to bet a shiney silver dollar that Spencer would take over for Clavijo. Spencer, from what I've read, would relish the opportunity to take over the Rapids. This is the MLS though and pretty much anything can happen.

Posted by: Nic | August 13, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Se clavaron a Clavijo. I bet the gringos would not understand this one.

Posted by: El Clavo | August 13, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody wonder why Rapids fans are so few and far-between?

Posted by: Kenobi

There were posts here in the recent past (and many on BS) about how horribly the supporters are treated at Colorado.
I know that Barra, SE and LN help immensely with selling the team to people in the DC area.
Imagine the games without the chants, flags, drums, etc. - or watch a cRapids game.

Posted by: marksman | August 13, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 13, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Imagine the games without the chants, flags, drums, etc.

Posted by: marksman | August 13, 2008 6:07 PM
=============

Even with the low attendance last night, the drums and singing came over loudly on WFED and the behindthebadge clips. Kudos to the fans who were there.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 13, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, what he said.

Posted by: dadryan | August 13, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I used to live in Denver and went to a few Rapids games. The Rapids fan love Spencer when he played there. That would be a great hire!

Posted by: Twoods | August 13, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 13, 2008 6:17 PM
.........................................

Speaking of WFED, a story in this morning's Post says that it will soon be moving to the big leagues, as Bonneville will be giving it WWWT's slot (and far more powerful signal) at 1500 AM. However, it doesn't say just when this will take place. For details:

Posted by: The Jeff | August 13, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

If Spencer was insulted by the Fires low-ball offer last year, wait until the Rapids come calling this offseason.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | August 13, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

off topic: Does anyone know what time and channel the Olympic Track Cycling is going to be on?

Posted by: dadryan | August 13, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Kenobi --> You're right, this rumor was around last year. The problem is the Rapids FO is too cheap to do anything about it. They have no problem blowing cash on the likes of Osorno, Gomes, Kirovski, and Roberto Brown. But god forbid they spend a little extra money to bring in a coach. It's enough to make a fan stop caring.

Shame on Plush for not bringing in a new coach.

Shame on Clavijo for not being man enough to step down.

Posted by: Allen | August 13, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

At this time (7:00 p.m. Wednesday), Goff's report on last night's USOC semifinal is near the top of the list of the most viewed articles from the Post's print edition:

Posted by: The Jeff | August 13, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of WFED...Bonneville will be giving it WWWT's slot (and far more powerful signal) at 1500 AM.

Yes, and also adding WWWT's 107.7 to the group broadcasting WTOP. Having WFED on 1500 would be amazing for listening to DCU games if they are still on WFED. You can hear 1500 all over the eastern U.S. at night.

I wonder where the Nats games will go though, now that WWWT is going away. Still on 107.7 or still on 1500?

Posted by: Rob | August 13, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow top 5 in most viewed print edition. List goes to 30 something and even the red sox thing is down to 20 something. United after matche blog has to be also the one that has most comments because it exceeds over 200. I doubt other blogs have that man comments!

Posted by: td | August 13, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Here's a thread.

The Colorado FO is trying to eliminate the supporters, and instead, target the soccer mom demo. It's like 1996, all over again.

Win or lose, DCU has the best atmosphere and fans, and you have to thank the FO for helping to foster that, instead of being scared.

Posted by: RK | August 13, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

=======================================
uh huh...

Posted by: JSF | August 13, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

"Excuse me stewardess, I speak jive."

The CRapids mgmt talked about Clavijo's status during their usual Tuesday afternoon meeting. No separate discussion.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | August 13, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

look at the Insider, stirring up trouble.:-)

Dadryan, you will probably have to watch track cycling online.

Posted by: Glenn | August 13, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Fernando said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him...

Posted by: Bill Urban | August 13, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

The lack of ambition and good sense in the Rapids organization is shameful. You have to feel bad for the fans and players (except for Ihemelu, who I haven't forgiven for doing his best to end Mediate's career). There's a reason they have absolutely nothing to show for themselves other than a single MLS Cup final loss.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 13, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan--

Track Cycling starts Friday. Check NBCOlympics.com for tv listings and streamed events.

(this is relevant b/c U.S. team member Bobby Lea played youth soccer growing up on the Eastern Shore before becoming famous for wearing the USOC-issued mask in the Beijing Airport).

Posted by: Mr. Krys | August 13, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

El Clavo - Clavijo clavo un clavo, que clase de clavo clavo Clavijo? I'm as gringo as they come, and I know that one. Booyah! ;)

As for Spencer, Colorado better pay the man well or he's likely to stay in H-town. He's sorta on my sh** list ever since he turned down the Fire.

Posted by: Drew | August 14, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

That's big news if they'll still have DC games, The Jeff. I might be able to actually listen to games on the radio instead of having to listen on the Internet.

Posted by: sitruc | August 14, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Colorado's tolerance of mediocrity is disgusting. I'm soooooo glad I'm a United fan.

Posted by: BK | August 14, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Oh get a grip you self righteous moron. Like Colorado fans or United fans have any influence over what happens on the field. You play the hand you're dealt by the powers that be of MLS.

Anyway, for you uber-fans in DC, here's a link to an article about what fans in Colorado face.

Posted by: Hacksaw | August 14, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hacksaw | August 14, 2008 11:58 AM

-------------

Not sure if that post was aimed at me or not, but if it was all youreally did was agree with me and make yourself look silly. A few quotes from your link:

"But despite last year's move to Dick's — the beautiful, soccer-specific complex built by Rapids owner Stan Kroenke — and despite the fact that the team is still in the running this year, last season's playoff miss, frustration with coach Fernando Clavijo and a history of underachieving have created an atmosphere of low expectations."

"It's getting to the point where it's hard for me to have any fun in there anymore," says Pablo Aguayo, the de facto head of the NCC supporters group. "I'm nervous to wave a flag or throw a streamer. It's like security there has their eye on us the entire time."

I say again...I'm sooooo glad I'm a United fan!

Posted by: BK | August 14, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse